Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware

Comments

• Reply 101 of 248
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have a 3Gs. I go out to lunch at 100% charge - when I come back in an hour it's down to 75- 80%. I swear- is it AT&T's 3G that's draining it? I usually update NY Times, don't play music, go on line- but that's it. It drains like that in an hour. After a night out it's below 50%- at least. I always have to charge it at night or risk by lunch the next day it being drained.

Something is not right. Are you sure you don't have Wifi and/or Bluetooth enabled also? But even still, that shouldn't drain your battery that much in an hour. I left the house at 7:30 this morning with 100% and now (4:38 pm) I am at 72%. I have 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth enabled. I'm fetching/pushing email every 15 minutes and listen to 1 hour (gym at lunch) of music. Access Facebook several times a day and surf one or two times. I only got one phone call.
  • Reply 102 of 248
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

As usual your confused. The main problem is you don't use the products you bash. Its not just with Microsoft its with every product made by any other company other then Apple. Its not like I'm the only one that has picked up on it, read other comments in this thread regarding your "informed" opinion.

Posting links written by others is useful in some cases but you use them to try and support your convoluted point of view.

You talk about trolls your one of the biggest trolls on this forum.

Yeah the word is out Quadra 610 will follow an Apple product right off of a cliff!

Apple make some really GREAT consumer products. We can all agree with that but we don't follow blindly. MS has some great product as well. So does HP, Dell , Acer and so forth........
  • Reply 103 of 248
    Quote:

I have a 3Gs. I go out to lunch at 100% charge - when I come back in an hour it's down to 75- 80%. I swear- is it AT&T's 3G that's draining it? I usually update NY Times, don't play music, go on line- but that's it. It drains like that in an hour. After a night out it's below 50%- at least. I always have to charge it at night or risk by lunch the next day it being drained.

That's odd...I listen to music and surf a little update my Facebook and got about 30 emails today and the battery is still at 70%

But I turn off Bluetooth and wireless where it asks to join new wireless networks so it is not constantly searching for wireless networks.

You might have a defective battery......
  • Reply 104 of 248
    Consumers that have switched to the Mac are not going to return to Microsoft. Years of disgust with Microsoft is what caused many people to switch in the first place. Apple would have to make the consumer very angry in order to motivate him/her to switch back to the PC world.

Seven is a consumer operating system. Play with Seven long enough, and you begin to understand that Windows 7 is a polished version of Vista. Most consumers will not notice. Compared to Vista, Seven does have some nice features copied from the Apple, such as an intuitive program/file search and a dock. Windows 7 will be a success, because you can buy it installed on a $300 netbook. If the consumer needs a computer simply for internet access and a couple of video games, why bother spending $1200 on a MacBook Pro?

But let's be honest, Seven is no easier for sysadmins to manage in the enterprise than Vista. For example, try to copy a user profile to default user in Seven (Microsoft disabled this feature in Seven), or have a look at Win server 2008 group policy for Seven (confusing, unnecessarily complex). If I were an Apple executive, I would take this approach when talking with CIOs. Over the next several months, watch for articles that report slow adoption of Seven in the enterprise........

In Higher Education, students are not the problem. The hard sell for Apple is to win the hearts and minds of professors .......... \
  • Reply 105 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bourgoises Pig View Post

Consumers that have switched to the Mac are not going to return to Microsoft. Years of disgust with Microsoft is what caused many people to switch in the first place. Apple would have to make the consumer very angry in order to motivate him/her to switch back to the PC world.

Seven is a consumer operating system. Play with Seven long enough, and you begin to understand that Windows 7 is a polished version of Vista. Most consumers will not notice. Compared to Vista, Seven does have some nice features copied from the Apple, such as an intuitive program/file search and a dock. Windows 7 will be a success, because you can buy it installed on a $300 netbook. If the consumer needs a computer simply for internet access and a couple of video games, why bother spending $1200 on a MacBook Pro?

But let's be honest, Seven is no easier for sysadmins to manage in the enterprise than Vista. For example, try to copy a user profile to default user in Seven (Microsoft disabled this feature in Seven), or have a look at Win server 2008 group policy for Seven (confusing, unnecessarily complex). If I were an Apple executive, I would take this approach when talking with CIOs. Over the next several months, watch for articles that report slow adoption of Seven in the enterprise........

In Higher Education, students are not the problem. The hard sell for Apple is to win the hearts and minds of professors .......... \

Blah Blah Blah

It's funny how it took Windows 7 less than a month to take over Snow Leopard

No matter how you cut it, Mac's worldwide marketshare ar 4% is a rounding error compared to Microsoft. PC world gets the job done the way Microsoft likes it to be done; Steve Jobs lost the PC battle to Gates long time ago. He tried it but Gates came out victorious

As for switching to macs, there are people out there who wants to have real computers and get work done rather playing with iChat video effects and sipping latte in starbucks while dressing like a hipster. Majority of users are not in the habbit of bending over to Apple to sell them an inferior hardware at twice the price. Apple can make as many ads as they want, their worldwide marketshare is irrelevant compared to Microsoft. World's biggest corporations use Microsoft technology to run their business not iChat or iMovie!
  • Reply 106 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You sound like a child with his arms crossed, stomping his feet saying "NO NO NO NO NO!"

People like Windows 7. That pisses you off doesn't it? You've made your hatred for MS so personal that you perceive their success as a personal blow. Absolutely amazing on so many levels. Really, you belong in a psychology journal somewhere.

As many others will inevitably say, I've been on Vista for the past 2 years with not a single problem whatsoever. In fact, I've yet to actually meet anyone who feels their Vista machine needs to be "fixed."

I'd like to bet you don't have much experience with Vista, and given your obvious bias towards Apple, whatever short experience you do have you've subjected to a strict scrutiny you don't even hold OSX to.

Anyways, you're more than welcome to voice an obvious bias given this is an Apple website, but lets stick to reality when it comes to this stuff.

See, if the fact that Vista wasn't revolutionary enough for XP users to justify the price is what you call a "garbage operating system" then I wonder what all those people who don't buy OSX upgrades call OSX...

Thank you for speaking up to Quadra, I agree and second everything you say!
  • Reply 107 of 248
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Well then the Droid battery must be pretty pathetic then as I've never had my iPhone last more than half a day. And I have to constantly charge it while at work. Not complaining - just stating facts.

Try posting less ... you'll save battery .... and make a lot of people happy, very happy.... very, very happy!
  • Reply 108 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Try posting less ... you'll save battery .... and make a lot of people happy, very happy.... very, very happy!

Typical Apple hipster fanboy who dislikes when people critize Apple. If you criticize Apple, then you must shut up because mighty Apple is above everything. Instead of wearing of those tight shirts on your fat belly try to be a realist; not everyone bends over to Apple!
  • Reply 109 of 248
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

MS could make the coolest OS ever with all kinds of advancements, but if the GUI stays the same then people whine about how nothing changed. when they change the GUI too much people complain that they don't want to learn the new GUI.

Google Desktop is a dog when it indexes your stuff but people love it. MS did the same thing in Vista and people hated it and said Vista was too slow.

7 is OK. snappier than Vista. Same kernel as Vista SP2. XP Mode works great and is nice and fast. for some reason my IE still refuses to update RSS feeds. most of the big changes between XP and Win 7 came between Vista RTM and SP2 when they changed kernels

Windows version of Safari is snappier too in 7
  • Reply 110 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

Blah Blah Blah

It's funny how it took Windows 7 less than a month to take over Snow Leopard

No matter how you cut it, Mac's worldwide marketshare ar 4% is a rounding error compared to Microsoft. PC world gets the job done the way Microsoft likes it to be done; Steve Jobs lost the PC battle to Gates long time ago. He tried it but Gates came out victorious

As for switching to macs, there are people out there who wants to have real computers and get work done rather playing with iChat video effects and sipping latte in starbucks while dressing like a hipster. Majority of users are not in the habbit of bending over to Apple to sell them an inferior hardware at twice the price. Apple can make as many ads as they want, their worldwide marketshare is irrelevant compared to Microsoft. World's biggest corporations use Microsoft technology to run their business not iChat or iMovie!

There are tons more low end Toyotas too so I guess I better trash that Ferrari of mine, volume obviously proves they are better ... right?
  • Reply 111 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Something is not right. Are you sure you don't have Wifi and/or Bluetooth enabled also? But even still, that shouldn't drain your battery that much in an hour. I left the house at 7:30 this morning with 100% and now (4:38 pm) I am at 72%. I have 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth enabled. I'm fetching/pushing email every 15 minutes and listen to 1 hour (gym at lunch) of music. Access Facebook several times a day and surf one or two times. I only got one phone call.

If you look at TechDud's previous postings, you will probably reach the same conclusion many of us have of him, i.e. he tends to, how shall I put it, say whatever he has to say to back up his opinion .... even if it sounds to be unbelievable. I really wouldn't rely too much on his "facts."
  • Reply 112 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There are tons more low end Toyotas too so I guess I better trash that Ferrari of mine, volume obviously proves they are better ... right?

Yeah...well Apple is no Ferrari.......but what does everyone that sees a Ferrari drive? Not another Ferrari....... Do you see those Ferrari at work? Do they set the standard or the other way around?

Anyway....we are all in agreement that Apple is enjoying great success! They put out great products!

But they have a very LONG way to go before they come close to catching up to MS! I enjoy and support both companies products and not ashamed to admit it!!!!
  • Reply 113 of 248
    Quote:

If you look at TechDud's previous postings, you will probably reach the same conclusion many of us have of him, i.e. he tends to, how shall I put it, say whatever he has to say to back up his opinion .... even if it sounds to be unbelievable. I really wouldn't rely too much on his "facts."

I would suggest simply adding him to the blocked list. It is so much nicer reading the threads sans 'he who shall not be named'. If only others wouldn't reply to him ...\
  • Reply 114 of 248
    Quote:

Typical Apple hipster fanboy who dislikes when people critize Apple. If you criticize Apple, then you must shut up because mighty Apple is above everything. Instead of wearing of those tight shirts on your fat belly try to be a realist; not everyone bends over to Apple!

What's the matter ... did you just realize that the person you would like to be with cannot stand you? With all the insults over mac users, sounds to me like "penis envy". Just curious, are you the bender or the bendee???
  • Reply 115 of 248
    Quote:

Ferrari Doesn't use the same engine as a Toyota!

Macs use the exact same compotents as the PCs out there hence why they can proclaim that they can run Windows too! They use the exact same processor, chipset, memory, graphics chip and so on! There isn't anything Ferrari like in a mac as much as you guys love the cars argument! If macs used a different hardware, then maybe you could make the argument (although we know how the whole PowerPC is better than Intel turned out!)

Unless ofcourse, you are willing to tell me the Intel processors Apple uses are different from the ones PC makers use? Or Graphics chip that Apple uses (which are considered obsolete in the PC world) are beter than the PC ones?

If anything, for the same price you get better hardware on a PC than on a mac. So yeah; your argument for Ferrari vs. Toyota doesn't hold water!

Now if you insist on car analogies, I tell you this. If Apple is like BMW, then the PC world is like Toyota. Apple only does premium market. PCs have their Toyota brand which majority of the the people purchase and they have their premium Lexus brand for those who want to spend more

Considering 90% of the world have rejected Apple and said no to their ecosystem, I'd say that the Microsoft approach is the better one!
  • Reply 116 of 248
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And the rest of the comparison...

"The iPhone wins on simplicity, refinement, thinness, design, Web browsing, music/video synching with your computer, accessory ecosystem and quality/quantity of the app store."

Don?t forget that stellar 5Mpx camera that takes worse pics than the crappy 3Mpx camera in the iPhone.
    I can?t believe someone can be so wrong so often. I?m simply amazed by this warped mentality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I will bet the iPhone wins handily on battery life, too, and Droid users will be compelled to carry a spare. The only battery comparisons I've seen so far have been highly subjective and based on very limited usage of the Droid.

I think this remains to be seen. As you probably know, with 3G on and making a phone call CDMA-based phones use 2G for voice while GSM-based phones will use the 3G network. I can easily see the Droid best the iPhone here. They do list an extra hour of talk time on the website, though I don?t know if Motorola uses the factual measuring method that Apple and Sony uses.

Their idle time 270hr standby time is 10% less than the 3GS? 300hr. With that in mind I?d wager that music, videos and internet use will considerably short than the 3GS. I predict 15% less for music, 20% less for video, and up to 35% less for internet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I thought you were holding out for Blu-ray.

I wouldn?t doubt it.

Quote:

Windows version of Safari is snappier too in 7

AnandTech did a piece on Windows browsers to measure how they affect battery times in notebooks. IE is the best for Windows and Safari is the worst if you are trying to squeeze as much juice out of your battery. Of course, Windows is considerably worse than OS X for battery usage so you?re better off to have a Mac running OS X anyway.
  • Reply 117 of 248
    Quote:

Considering 90% of the world have rejected Apple and said no to their ecosystem, I'd say that the Microsoft approach is the better one!

Better tell that to SB ... he's the one concerned enough to copy everything that Apple does, OS, Zune, retail stores, (staff & locations). Im still waiting for M$ first original idea.
  • Reply 118 of 248
    Quote:

Better tell that to SB ... he's the one concerned enough to copy everything that Apple does, OS, Zune, retail stores, (staff & locations). Im still waiting for M$ first original idea.

And who cares about the original idea?

If anything, it is embarrassing that Microsoft defeated Apple in their own game! Ofcourse they copy Apple; every company copies another one so I don't see what the problem is. Apple didn't invent retail stores either (although no one deny's Microsoft's striking resemblance to Apple stores) and they didn't have the first smartphone either. So is Apple to be ashamed becase RIM made smartphones before them?

The whole who stole my idea is getting old and nobody cares about it anymore. What matters is that they control 90% of the market and people constantly say no to Apple in an overwhelming number!

As for SB, I'm happy he takes the competiton seriously even though the competition doesn't have any chance of hurting their primary market. I'd rather see a CEO who crushes every single competiton no matter how small they are rather than some one who does nothing

In this market, you have to be ready to fight hard and dont waste any second to hurt your opponent. Microsoft learned their lesson with the Vista years and now they are schooled enough to take any one and anything seriously. As a tenns fanatic who loves the idea of crushing your opponent i like this approach very much! You have to constntly think about your opponent and figuring out ways to fight them both in terms of product quality and propaganda! Anything less and you lose

As for Ballmer, he is far from my idea of someone who should be running Microsoft. He has gotten much better lately but Microsoft needs someone likes Gates who is sharp and hungry for success. He is the man who defeated Apple and Jobs and Microsoft needs a CEO like that
  • Reply 119 of 248
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

And who cares about the original idea?

If anything, it is embarrassing that Microsoft defeated Apple in their own game!

Yes, Apple conceded the bulk of the dekstop market to Microsoft.

Their results:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/21results.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ence_call.html

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/10/19results.html

http://themacfeed.com/?p=3920

http://www.thedomains.com/2009/10/19...revenue-up-25/

Record quarter after record quarter, going back to 2006, with growth outpacing the rest of the industry year over year.

Recession-proof.

Their market:

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...NPD/1248313624

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._by_apple.html

http://techblips.dailyradar.com/stor...-electronista/

The reaction:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10019711-37.html

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...g-industry.ars

http://digg.com/apple/Apple_leads_20...faction_survey

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/08/....no..1.on.csi/

http://theappleblog.com/2009/05/06/a...he-experience/

http://blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/...s-customerbase

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...stomer_sa.html

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-posts...ion-index/2553

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/22467/

http://bindapple.com/apple-satisfaction-2009-report/

http://www.macnn.com/news/25971

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/14/...action-survey/

http://www.ipodobserver.com/ipo/arti...ff_The_Charts/

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/08...-satisfaction/

http://www.mactivist.com/2009/06/iph...kings-in-japan

http://www.9to5mac.com/jobs-satisfation-rate-high

http://www.jdpower.com/Business/rati...tphone-ratings

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2248040/...ps-top-billing

http://www.eweek.com/prestitial.php?...453807%2F&ref=

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352796,00.asp

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2006/08/5002.ars

http://www.osnews.com/story/15553

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1689554/posts

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-224872.html

The cash:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...vs._microsoft/

http://www.google.ca/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/04/tech...ecade.fortune/

Yeah. Really embarrassing . . .
  • Reply 120 of 248
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

A Toyotta has lower acquisition costs, lower maintenance costs, lower carbon dioxide emissions and is more practical than a Ferrari to get actually things done in life instead of trying to impress people around you. And I've yet to see a Ferrari which can take as much abuse as a Toyotta family van can take over the years.

Ferrari and Apple may not be that different in some aspects: They sell a life-style where in the end it actually doesn't really matter if the good warrants the prize from a pure quality point of view.