Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware

Comments

• Reply 81 of 248
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Upgrading to Vista was confusing and the price was high for most users but that isn't the case with Windows 7.

Windows 7 has the same ridiculous stratification of "editions". You're just inured to it now. Nothing's changed.

Quote:

People with an .edu email can get it for 29.99 and there is always the option to get the OEM verions which is always alot cheaper.

IMHO the .edu discount doesn't apply to "most [Windows] users" and "most [Windows] users" aren't going to buy the OEM upgrade either.

Quote:

Even retail verions are far better then what Vista cost.

Uh, no, they're not. They're just about the same.
  • Reply 82 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And the rest of the comparison...

"The iPhone wins on simplicity, refinement, thinness, design, Web browsing, music/video synching with your computer, accessory ecosystem and quality/quantity of the app store."

I will bet the iPhone wins handily on battery life, too, and Droid users will be compelled to carry a spare. The only battery comparisons I've seen so far have been highly subjective and based on very limited usage of the Droid.
  • Reply 83 of 248
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

And the rest of the comparison...

"The iPhone wins on simplicity, refinement, thinness, design, Web browsing, music/video synching with your computer, accessory ecosystem and quality/quantity of the app store."

Looks like different strokes for different folks. And the better the competition, the better for us all. I personally can't wait until the next iPhone with a flash, I would gather.
  • Reply 84 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I will bet the iPhone wins handily on battery life, too, and Droid users will be compelled to carry a spare. The only battery comparisons I've seen so far have been highly subjective and based on very limited usage of the Droid.

Well then the Droid battery must be pretty pathetic then as I've never had my iPhone last more than half a day. And I have to constantly charge it while at work. Not complaining - just stating facts.
  • Reply 85 of 248
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Looks like different strokes for different folks. And the better the competition, the better for us all. I personally can't wait until the next iPhone with a flash, I would gather.

I thought you were holding out for Blu-ray.
  • Reply 86 of 248
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    ... ...

Quote:

not really- here's the real problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/te...h/05pogue.html

since verizon seems to want a droid-iphone faceoff, here it is: The droid wins on phone network,

granted. Although people have been more than willing to hook up with at&t, apparently the worst carrier, just to get an iphone, and there's no sign of letup. That's quite an accomplishmnt.

customizability,

for those who care about it. A win for the techies, certainly . . . Who don't represent the majority of the market. It seems the iphone's landmark explosive growth must be based on something else . . .

gps navigation,

it's a cool feature. But not a killer feature. If webos, with all its refinements at the very core of the experience - the os, couldn't hack it, then i doubt a free gps app will.

speaker,

not really a selling point. If it's part of an overall better package (which it isn't), then it counts for more.

physical keyboard,

not a win, really. It's strictly a matter of preference, and the iphone has shown that a touch keyboard (without sliding and moving parts) works brilliantly.

removable battery

no longer a factor. It also takes away from the seamless design of the device, one of the iphone's most succesful selling points. If it's unsexy, it's undesirable.

and openness (free operating system, mostly uncensored app store).

apple has proven that a closed system works exceptionally well. Problems with "censorship" (or rather "management" and a closed system? Yet we have record iphone sales and growth that is unmatched in the industry.

Openness isn't the factor we in the apple fansite bubble think it is.

funny- no mention of flash.

because the iphone's success has proven that it's much less of a concern for the aveage user than those of us in the apple fansite bubble would like to think. The flash issue lives and dies in our corner of the internet. No flash, yet record iphone sales and explosive growth.

• Reply 87 of 248
    Quote:

Well then the Droid battery must be pretty pathetic then as I've never had my iPhone last more than half a day. And I have to constantly charge it while at work. Not complaining - just stating facts.

Which iPhone do you have, the original? My 3GS lasts 2 days easily with moderate use and 3G active. The Droid might have the same capacity battery as the iPhone, but I expect broader support for multitasking (combined with careless usage of multitasking) and the higher-res display will kill it faster.
  • Reply 88 of 248
    Quote:

Windows 7 has the same ridiculous stratification of "editions". You're just inured to it now. Nothing's changed.

IMHO the .edu discount doesn't apply to "most [Windows] users" and "most [Windows] users" aren't going to buy the OEM upgrade either.

Uh, no, they're not. They're just about the same.

Windows 7 sales have exceeded Vista sales by 234%. Places like Amazon were offering pretty good discounts on pre sales. Anyone going to college even without and .edu account and get Windows 7 home premium for 29.99.

Acutally Windows 7 has three editions both offered in x86 and x64 where Vista had four. Home basic has been dropped.
  • Reply 89 of 248
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Which iPhone do you have, the original? My 3GS lasts 2 days easily with moderate use and 3G active. The Droid might have the same capacity battery as the iPhone, but I expect broader support for multitasking (combined with careless usage of multitasking) and the higher-res display will kill it faster.

Same here, but I have 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth active all the time. I have to charge every 2 days.....and I thought that was bad.
  • Reply 90 of 248
    Quote:

It doesn't last very long because he's always on AI posting
  • Reply 91 of 248
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Windows 7 sales have exceeded Vista sales by 234%.

That's a meaningless statistic, unless you can provide absolute numbers for context. It would be true if Vista sold 100 copies and 7 sold 334 copies, but those numbers would mean they were both an utter disaster. Maybe a 234% increase is a great thing, maybe it's just mediocre, maybe it's actually terrible.
  • Reply 92 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

... ...

"apple has proven that a closed system works exceptionally well. Problems with "censorship" (or rather "management" and a closed system? Yet we have record iphone sales and growth that is unmatched in the industry. "

It isnt all that hard to have record growth when you started out with 0% market share tow years ago. Rim still has four of the top six smartphones including the #1 spot and while you try to discount the droid its goin to spank the iphone. You can quote me on this a year from now.

If the iPhone ever takes the #1 spot then you can call it unmatched.
  • Reply 93 of 248
    Quote:

That's a meaningless statistic, unless you can provide absolute numbers for context. It would be true if Vista sold 100 copies and 7 sold 334 copies, but those numbers would mean they were both an utter disaster. Maybe a 234% increase is a great thing, maybe it's just mediocre, maybe it's actually terrible.

I expect we won't have numbers until after the holiday season. We will have to see if they hit the projected numbers which is 40 million by year end and 117 million by the end of 2010.

One thing we know already its going to be higher then the 5 million Snow Leopard sales.
  • Reply 94 of 248
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Maybe your battery is defective because my 3GS lasts all day and usually still has half charge at the end of the day. As much time as you spend here at AI and the rest of the day you are running down your iPhone you must not get much work done at your job.
  • Reply 95 of 248
    Quote:

I have a 3Gs. I go out to lunch at 100% charge - when I come back in an hour it's down to 75- 80%. I swear- is it AT&T's 3G that's draining it? I usually update NY Times, don't play music, go on line- but that's it. It drains like that in an hour. After a night out it's below 50%- at least. I always have to charge it at night or risk by lunch the next day it being drained.
  • Reply 96 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe your battery is defective because my 3GS lasts all day and usually still has half charge at the end of the day. As much time as you spend here at AI and the rest of the day you are running down your iPhone you must not get much work done at your job.

That is my job, didn't you know?

I'm on AI on a PC. I get to see all of AI's flash ads- no problem!
  • Reply 97 of 248
    Quote:

After a night out it's below 50%- at least. I always have to charge it at night or risk by lunch the next day it being drained.

You do that?????

• Reply 98 of 248
    Quote:

I thought you were holding out for Blu-ray.

God have I been misquoted on that by both you and your mentor solipsism who claims I want that in my AppleTV (never said that). I only want it in my HD 16:9 iMac- at least as an option. Is that too much to ask?
  • Reply 99 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

You do that?????

Drained!!!!!
  • Reply 100 of 248
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

You do that?????

Teck's a shooter. Texting the ladies alone takes up half the battery.