Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's new Magic Mouse helped Apple see a twofold increase in its share of domestic mice sales last month, AppleInsider has learned, garnering the Mac maker a double-digit slice of the market for the first time ever.

NPD Group sales data for the new device, which was unveiled alongside new iMacs this past October, shows Apple to have captured just over 10 percent of the market in November, representing a first for the Cupertino-based company.

"Sales in November were through the roof," Stephen Baker, analyst with the market research firm, told AppleInsider. "[The Magic Mouse] had the best month for a mouse product from Apple that we've ever seen."

The aforementioned sales data was compiled from standalone Magic Mouse sales only -- those included with the new 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs were not factored into the mix. Similarly, however, the new iMac was the best-selling desktop in the U.S in October.

Still, the sales surge wasn't enough to propel Apple from its No. 3 position in mice sales overall, leaving it ahead of HP and Targus, but well behind market leaders Logitech and Microsoft.

"They're not exactly challenging Logitech or Microsoft at this point, who are far and away the leaders, but they've been No. 3 for a long time," Baker explained. Still, the analyst coined the Magic Mouse's debut a "tremendous performance," which saw Apple double its share of the market in less than 2 months.

Whether or not Apple can sustain its increased sales volume of mice sales over time remains to be seen. New Apple products are usually accompanied by publicity and buzz that pushes their sales through the roof in the early going, but often those sales die down over time.

"The Time Machine did great the first 8 ot 10 weeks too, but then it kind of settled down," Baker added. "That is a pattern we've seen with a lot of these products."

The Magic Mouse lacks any physical buttons or the scroll ball of its predecessor, the Mighty Mouse. Instead, the hardware senses the movement of fingertips across its surface in a multi-touch fashion much like the technology employed in Apple's iPhone, iPod touch, MacBook and MacBook Pro lines.

The $69 hardware communicates with a Mac via Bluetooth, and features capacitive touch sensors underneath its shell to track individual finger movements. The entire mouse's surface, from the Apple logo up, is also covered with touch sensors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 202
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new Magic Mouse helped Apple see a twofold increase in its share of domestic mice sales last month...

Can Apple do no wrong?
  • Reply 2 of 202
    If a redesigned mouse can sell so well, just think what a revolutionary tablet or slate will do!
  • Reply 3 of 202
    Add middle click and the expose/dashboard functionality lost from the mighty mouse and it would do far better than double.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Can Apple do no wrong?

They very much have their flaws. If Apple ever gets it all in order, watch out. The current success would seem like a bad day.
  • Reply 4 of 202
    Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

Yes and it was called the "Mighty Mouse"

A abortion of a mouse like I have never seen before.

My highly critical assessment and publicity/dissection photo's of that particular mouse may have drove Apple to create this new mouse.

Yes, I prod Apple with a pitchfork all the time.
  • Reply 5 of 202
    Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

Yes, actually all of their mice have sucked, including this one. Very cumbersome to use, imo of course.
  • Reply 6 of 202
    That's probably because the Mighty Mouse had an impossible to clean wheel, even with Apple's useless video.
  • Reply 7 of 202
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I got one in my stocking, I must say I find it very intuitive and a pleasure to use. My concern about getting one was how accurate it would be in tracking. All wireless mice before this simply didn't track well enough for detailed work in Apple Pro apps. This new mouse is very precise indeed I find the touch surface wonderful for scrolling.
  • Reply 8 of 202
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

Yes. The Magic Mouse is garbage. It may even be worse than the Mighty Mouse. They haven't made a good mouse since the ADB II.
  • Reply 9 of 202
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I got one in my stocking, I must say I find it very intuitive and a pleasure to use. My concern about getting one was how accurate it would be in tracking. All wireless mice before this simply didn't track well enough for detailed work in Apple Pro apps. This new mouse is very precise indeed I find the touch surface wonderful for scrolling.

Laser mice have been available from MS and Logitech for years and they blow away the "magic" mouse. Try one sometime.
  • Reply 10 of 202
    Surprising since the mouse's touch features aren't available on Windows. So it's just existing Mac users (not even new Mac buyers) who are driving these sales.

What does "The Time Machine did great the first 8 ot 10 weeks too" mean? Time Machine wasn't a product, it was a feature of Leopard. Do they mean Time Machine drove up third party external hard drive sales or something?
  • Reply 11 of 202
    I stopped using it and the bluetooth keyboard and went back to my Everywhere mouse and the standard Mac keyboard.

The mouse doesn't fit right in my hand. I keep having to move my hand forward on the mouse or the clicking gets difficult to mash down. The touch control works fine, but I've already worn out the index finger on my right hand from decades of clicking. This mouse is killing the index finger on my left hand as well.

The bluetooth keyboard is just too flimsy. I had the earlier one too. It broke. $80 for a POS that BROKE.

I'm too practical for form over content.
  • Reply 12 of 202
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felixmanos View Post

I stopped using it and the bluetooth keyboard and went back to my Everywhere mouse and the standard Mac keyboard.

The mouse doesn't fit right in my hand. I keep having to move my hand forward on the mouse or the clicking gets difficult to mash down. The touch control works fine, but I've already worn out the index finger on my right hand from decades of clicking. This mouse is killing the index finger on my left hand as well.

The bluetooth keyboard is just too flimsy. I had the earlier one too. It broke. $80 for a POS that BROKE.

I'm too practical for form over content.

I've stopped using mine as well. Too painful if you are doing any gaming or a lot of mouse work. Your hand cramps horribly from trying to move it around on the desktop. They went way to far into the form side and left function by the wayside. it's too flat and difficult to grasp, the edges are too sharp and irritate the palm, and it still has that vague right click, which always ends up being a left click. I have to right click 2 or 3 times before I find the right 'spot' to get a proper right click.

Irritating.
  • Reply 13 of 202
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

If a redesigned mouse can sell so well, just think what a revolutionary tablet or slate will do!

I think a tablet price 10x more than the magic mouse may not have the same customer
  • Reply 14 of 202
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Been to the Apple store in Soho, Tekserve, and Digital Society, no Magic Mice to be had.
  • Reply 15 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Laser mice have been available from MS and Logitech for years and they blow away the "magic" mouse. Try one sometime.

I guess you must have a Magic Mouse and used it extensively to able to arrive at such a stern conclusion. I personally do not remember seeing any mouse that features a multi-touch surface other than Apple's new mouse, if you do can you share a link?
  • Reply 16 of 202
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Time Capsule, I suspect.
  • Reply 17 of 202
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Surprising since the mouse's touch features aren't available on Windows. So it's just existing Mac users (not even new Mac buyers) who are driving these sales.

What does "The Time Machine did great the first 8 ot 10 weeks too" mean? Time Machine wasn't a product, it was a feature of Leopard. Do they mean Time Machine drove up third party external hard drive sales or something?

Yeah. Saw that, too. I think they meant Time Capsule.
  • Reply 18 of 202
    Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

No Apple has never done any wrong.

They've had times where they were clumsy, but like Apple, quickly corrected the situations. The bottom of this post is not intended for you IQatEdo

.............. To the rest who Bash Apple's Mouse ...................

The Magic Mouse is the WORLDS FIRST MULTI-TOUCH MOUSE. Where are the complainers who say Apple isn't innovating??

The Negative "Opinions" about the Magic Mouse, are the people who are seeking that Apple create the notebook thats 8Core 20GB Ram 1TB SSD & Ultra High GDDR5 Graphics card in the size of a MacBook Air .

Apple has given you an alternative: If you don't like the magic mouse go back to the wired one, same as with the keyboard.

What other company has a full multi-Touch Mouse??? People are already saying things like "That mouse is terrible!" etc... Why don't you create your own mouse then?? Or your own Notebook Computer??... Appreciate what you have and don't complain about it.... Keep the article positive.

This Article was meant to be Positive and to give Apple the recognition of its Revolutionary device. Let's try to limit the kiddie whining for other forum/rumor sites.
  • Reply 19 of 202
    Quote:

Yes. The Magic Mouse is garbage. It may even be worse than the Mighty Mouse. They haven't made a good mouse since the ADB II.

Did you read the article? Might help to put an <anecdotal> tag after your post to help others distinguish reality from opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 202
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

This is blatantly false. I don't like my Magic Mouse, but it's tracking is much more precise than both my MS and Logitech laser mice. That is it's one nice feature. Excellent resolution, even on crappy surfaces.