Palm CEO, former Apple exec says he's never used an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 201 of 259
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And the Apple TV is an overpriced Airport Express, without the AP support.

If it has to access point support than it?s not an airport express and the AirPort express can?t connect to a TV or rent and buy iTS connect.

I?m amazed that your argument has become even more silly than when you started.
  • Reply 202 of 259
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If it has to access point support than it?s not an airport express and the AirPort express can?t connect to a TV or rent and buy iTS connect.

And why would I rent, or purchase movies on an Apple TV? they would use up over 10% of my data cap, the movies are overpriced, there is a poor selection of movies, and even less (semi) HD movies. So the only use of it is as a music steaming, and for that I can use an airport express, and for well under half the price.
  • Reply 203 of 259
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

And why would I rent, or purchase movies on an Apple TV? they would use up over 10% of my data cap, the movies are overpriced, there is a poor selection of movies, and even less (semi) HD movies. So the only use of it is as a music steaming, and for that I can use an airport express, and for well under half the price.

So now you?re changing your crappy argument from it being an AirPort express to your typical ?if it?s not right for me then it can?t be right for anyone else? argument. Were you not already touting in this very thread the PS3 as having internet-based features that should make anyone prefer it over the AppleTV? I don?t recall you mentioning your data usage limitation then.

Perhaps you should stop being so egocentric and think others who may not have archaic data usage limitations on DSL or cable, or find the streaming of iTS purchased and rented media worthwhile and convenient and find the very easy setup and use of the AppleTV nice compared to other devices that aren?t primarily designed to function as media extenders.
  • Reply 204 of 259
    If he never uses a iPhone then he uses a iPod touch?
  • Reply 205 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Sheesh. I was considering shorting Palm, that seals it. The CEO of a small player hasn't even used the market leading solution? Is that supposed to give us confidence?

Competitive analysis is key to success. It's one thing to consider yourself a leader and to not feel the need to copy other efforts, but to be willfully ignorant of what's going on in the market? Jesus. These guys are doomed.

If he never uses a iPhone then he uses a iPod touch?

• Reply 206 of 259
    Quote:

So now you?re changing your crappy argument from it being an AirPort express to your typical ?if it?s not right for me then it can?t be right for anyone else? argument. Were you not already touting in this very thread the PS3 as having internet-based features that should make anyone prefer it over the AppleTV? I don?t recall you mentioning your data usage limitation then.

No, I haven't talked about the PS3's internet abilities, but is does have some, thanks for bringing that up. I was talking about streaming from a computer to the PS3, no internet in there at all for me (or for most people streaming content from their PC). Maybe that's why I didn't mention my internet usage limited then!

Quote:

Perhaps you should stop being so egocentric and think others who may not have archaic data usage limitations on DSL or cable, or find the streaming of iTS purchased and rented media worthwhile and convenient and find the very easy setup and use of the AppleTV nice compared to other devices that aren?t primarily designed to function as media extenders.

I'm not egocentric, I am replying to a whole bunch of other people that say the Apple TV is the be all device, which it is far from being. Apple missed the boat with this product, well and truely. There are many other options for people to use, many of which get a lot more attention from their makers than Apple gives the Apple TV.
  • Reply 207 of 259
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We really don't know what those numbers mean. Most people using Live Gold are playing games after all.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/goldBenefits.htm

It's still mostly used for games.

Both MS and Sony have high hopes for their consoles, but so far they're used almost all for games.

Most people that have them also have DVD players which they use for movies and Cds. A DVR for Tv shows. They do a better job of it.

They are primarily game systems, but then their value extends beyond that. As long as there are gamers, then there will be potential buyers of media. To that extent that means Apple will have to continuously work against both MS and Sony.

Microsoft doesnt publish digital sales, but its probably because its media prices are high as hell. Its 7 bucks for a 1080p movie but 4 for a SD rental. I guess the prices arent that bad...but i can reserve movies from my computer or BB (or iPhone) and go pick them up at a redbox since i just killed my netflix sub.

Upstarts like Redbox (1 dolla make you holla 2 hour long...even for blu-ray and new releases!) and netflix give little reason rent/buy any digital movies (i still do anyways for movies i like) Anyways word is hollywood isnt to keen on cheap rental services out now and is looking to force companies into a waiting period after a movie is newly released to dvd before it can be offered for online streaming (apparently to drive dvd sales).

Quote:

I don't get it though.

They made linking to itunes and the store a major part of their platform's credibility. They were so desperate for it that they kept working around Apple's defenses. Even after the organization ruled against them they made defiant remarks.

So why, since it's pretty simple to do so, do they decide to suddenly let a third party come up with it. There may be no third party that does this, or they may not do it properly.

It's very strange.

I dont see it as desperate as i do for clamoring for attention, because it certainly grabbed the tech headlines everytime it happened, i personally lol'd cause i thought it was funny. They always had drag and drop, like WinMo, BB, Android. All someone needs to do is make a desktop app similar to RIMs and all will be fine.
  • Reply 208 of 259
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Why are you restricting yourself to gaming. Sony sells DLNA supported TV's (remember you need them to play those wii games), DLNA supported DVD Players, DLNA supported Blu-Ray players, what does Apple have, an overpriced media player.

My Tv plays Wii games just fine, and it isn't DLNA supported.
  • Reply 209 of 259
    Quote:

My Tv plays Wii games just fine, and it isn't DLNA supported.

Sony sells them as well.
  • Reply 210 of 259
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    What is DLNA and why should I care? Haven't heard much about it, all the gadget sites hardly ever mention it as well, in my experience.
  • Reply 211 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What is DLNA and why should I care? Haven't heard much about it, all the gadget sites hardly ever mention it as well, in my experience.

Digital Living Network Alliance. Enables you to share data between various devices, such as video, music, photos from a device (computer, NAS etc) to another device such as a TV, phone, photo frame, dvd player etc.

A solution that means you can purchase the device you want, from the manufacturer you want.

And since there is over 5000 different devices that support it, it must be mentioned somewhere.
  • Reply 212 of 259
    Quote:

I don't get it though.

They made linking to itunes and the store a major part of their platform's credibility. They were so desperate for it that they kept working around Apple's defenses. Even after the organization ruled against them they made defiant remarks.

So why, since it's pretty simple to do so, do they decide to suddenly let a third party come up with it. There may be no third party that does this, or they may not do it properly.

It's very strange.

Agreed. They should not have pushed the store as much as they did, it wasn't ready. I'm in Europe and I wont see anything until March. I"m not massively into the whole app thing, so I don't care as much as others, but it is still slack.

Mind you, the 1.4 update with 3d gaming, plugin support, video recording etc is really nice, and we have been getting updates every month which is always a nice touch. I don't have to buy a new phone just to record video, or to get MMS because the "radio is different or the camera doesn't support it..." I know there will be people jumping to Apple's defence, but that was a stroke, plain and simple.

I think that WebOS is actually the best platform out there, but with the worst ecosystem. I wish Palm had organised something with Apple for iTunes support, as I am a Mac user and use iTunes for my music. It would be simpler. Doubletwist works pretty well though, I just create what I want to in iTunes and it mirrors it in DT.
  • Reply 213 of 259
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I don't get it though.

It's very strange.

almost like a bad balmer show ..and thats bad

yet i still can;t see why anyone would say these things

let alone a top palm guy

ruben was once one of us

he fell from grace i guess
  • Reply 214 of 259
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Digital Living Network Alliance. Enables you to share data between various devices, such as video, music, photos from a device (computer, NAS etc) to another device such as a TV, phone, photo frame, dvd player etc.

A solution that means you can purchase the device you want, from the manufacturer you want.

And since there is over 5000 different devices that support it, it must be mentioned somewhere.

I don't know a single person who has ever heard of this, or makes use of whatever it is it does.

What does it do, really, beyond the ad copy? Are you saying that I can put an image on a digital photo frame and share it with my TV? Music on my phone shows up on my computer?

Or is it just a way to stream info from my computer to devices? If so, how do I set it up? What's the interface on a photo frame? I just buy a DLNA enabled photo frame and make sure I have a DLNA computer and it's just there? I get a DNLA dvd player and I can see my movies on remote screens?

If you're going to ding Apple for not participating in some cool tech that makes my life easier, you should explain how it works.
  • Reply 215 of 259
    LOL... Jon Rubinstein is a liar, IMO. He would have had some kind of interaction with the iPhone to size up the competition, or he'd simply be the dumbest guy to ever have worked at and left Apple.
  • Reply 216 of 259
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    I would like to contradict everyone and say that I think the Pre is the one and only touch screen phone that I like besides the iPhone that I've used. The ability to use more than one app at a time is a big advantage over the iPhone. Frankly I don't see any of the performance issues that Apple is claiming exists by running multiple programs at the same time.

I am extremely interested in what will happen with Palm from this point on. Where Palm is today reminds of a little bit where Apple was in the 90s. They were stuck on the same aging operating system for a really long time and then came roaring back with a very successful redesign. I think the bigger question that should be asked isn't if Palm's CEO has used the iPhone but if anyone on this forum has used this Pre. From the way they are talking I don't think they have. Yes it doesn't have nearly as many apps but why can't that change over time.
  • Reply 217 of 259
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Yup.. Why would I ?? He knows what's best for Apple (He created it) , why go against the creator?

Who else would I believe?? You?? ....

Apple TV is a Hobby and APPLE MAKES THAT CLEAR TO EVERYONE.... They enhance the Hobby each year to get user reactions... Apple even did a survey about what users wanted to see from Apple TV in September 2008. Its a HOBBY DEVICE .... again HOBBY

Steve said that Blu Ray is great for Media entertainment but as far as having it in his Apple products "It's a Bag of Hurt" due to licensing complexities, and Apple is just waiting for that to clear up. he said this Oct 2008 http://www.betanews.com/article/Stev...ned/1224007987 READ HIS COMMENTS YOURSELF

Where's your agrument???............. oh yeah thats right you have none

I have problem following you here.

For example, I'm a hobbyist photographer, however my cameras are not beta - they are, actually, very mature products.

My friend is flying model planes, some of them very expensive, non of them beta.

Since when hobby means beta?

How can a product - being sold to consumers - be beta? Software freely distributed, yes... but actual product? Being sold? For money?

If that is true, I sincerely hope SJ will not go into car industry. I'd really be scared to see some beta cars on streets.
  • Reply 218 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't know a single person who has ever heard of this, or makes use of whatever it is it does.

that does mean that no one does.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What does it do, really, beyond the ad copy? Are you saying that I can put an image on a digital photo frame and share it with my TV? Music on my phone shows up on my computer?

Or is it just a way to stream info from my computer to devices? If so, how do I set it up? What's the interface on a photo frame? I just buy a DLNA enabled photo frame and make sure I have a DLNA computer and it's just there? I get a DNLA dvd player and I can see my movies on remote screens?

If you're going to ding Apple for not participating in some cool tech that makes my life easier, you should explain how it works.

Basically it is similar to what AppleTV-iTunes, but you are not restricted to Apples hardware (or to those two types of devices).

Look at their website, it is explained there

http://www.dlna.org/home
  • Reply 219 of 259
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

This guy is a moron to put it bluntly.

He was an Apple VP right? And he has never used or touched the iPhone? I bet Apple knew that he was stupid and kept the prototypes away from him.

And he does not care or think about Apple. OK. When is he going to start?

The shareholders of Pam are unlucky and have no guts to kick this idiot out of office.

JD

Wasn't he retired from Apple in 2005..?

That was before iPhone... right?

There is no doubt he had iPhone in his hands, but it is perfectly possible he never used it as his phone. That makes perfect sense to me. I never used iMac. I played with some in various shops, but I never used one.
  • Reply 220 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

I would like to contradict everyone and say that I think the Pre is the one and only touch screen phone that I like besides the iPhone that I've used. The ability to use more than one app at a time is a big advantage over the iPhone. Frankly I don't see any of the performance issues that Apple is claiming exists by running multiple programs at the same time.

I am extremely interested in what will happen with Palm from this point on. Where Palm is today reminds of a little bit where Apple was in the 90s. They were stuck on the same aging operating system for a really long time and then came roaring back with a very successful redesign. I think the bigger question that should be asked isn't if Palm's CEO has used the iPhone but if anyone on this forum has used this Pre. From the way they are talking I don't think they have. Yes it doesn't have nearly as many apps but why can't that change over time.

Agreed. I have occasion to use both today, and I can't believe how many more button presses I had to make on the iPhone. I had forgotten how frustrating it could be. The gestures of WebOS make it so much more fun and feel so much more natural. Even turning on/off wi-fi or bluetooth is a simple swipe on any screen, rather than in and out to settings. I had the jailbreak swipe on my old iPhone 3Gs before you all jump down my throat, and it was great, but you shouldn't have to jailbreak the phone for that kind of functionality.