Palm CEO, former Apple exec says he's never used an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 161 of 259
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Do you have figures to back up your claim that all PS3 owners have computers?

Would you mind quoting worldwide sources from every market the PS3 is sold in, thanks.

No one said anything about everyone owning a computer, although it would be logical that you need to own a computer to be able to stream from one no? Anyways chances are pretty good that if you own a game console, you probably have a computer of some form as well.

Also Nullriver is just one solution, but its a paid for product and its only on Mac, because Apple wants to keep everything in its entire ecosystem and force one to buy Apple only products and streaming media is a feature built into Windows that any device can utilize. If you got the money to burn then have at an all Apple solution than by all means thats awesome for you, enjoy it, but if you own a PS3 for Blu-Ray like quite a few do, would you seriously pay 230 bucks just to stream some music from your mac and 720p movies (which PS3 does as well)
  • Reply 162 of 259
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's nonsense!

It has nothing whatever to do with Apple.

Apple, Microsoft and Sony all are trying to control this market. They all have their own ways of doing it. So far, Apple has been far more successful than either of the others.

Come on, we both no you aren't that silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna

Quote:

DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a standard used by manufacturers of consumer electronics to allow entertainment devices within the home to share their content with each other across a home network.

As of August 2009 it is supported in more than 5,500 different devices and in 2008 over 200 million devices sold with it built in

Quote:

DLNA counts over 240 members most of them being contributor members and 24 being promoter members actively participating to DLNA's evolution. DLNA is run by a board of directors of 9 member companies : AwoX [4], Broadcom, Intel, Microsoft, Nokia, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Acer, and Sony.

It appears to be only Apple doing their own way, and in the process (according to you guys) making things too hard for their customers
  • Reply 163 of 259
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well for starters, it is nullriver.

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

Click download now

There's Null Driver that does this, but it's only for Windows, and it's a bear to get and set up. I've done it for friends (though I wonder why).

I'm happy to see a real product for the Mac.

Ok, for once, you've shown something good here.
  • Reply 164 of 259
    Quote:

Come on, we both no you aren't that silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna

It appears to be only Apple doing their own way, and in the process (according to you guys) making things too hard for their customers

As I said, this has nothing to do with Apple. Yes, it's a desperate response to Apple's success, but that's all. Apple has most of this market, why should they give it away?
  • Reply 165 of 259
    Quote:

I have iTunes on my iPhone, how do I stream it to my PS3.

Who is talking about the iPhone?

Quote:

Where do I get Nullriver from.

Nullriver is a company, google it.

Quote:

Is it in the App store?

yes, nullriver has software on the app store, search for it.
  • Reply 166 of 259
    Quote:

As I said, this has nothing to do with Apple. Yes, it's a desperate response to Apple's success, but that's all. Apple has most of this market, why should they give it away?

A desperate move? I'm sorry, i think your apple shares are blocking your view of reality. There are 5500 devices available with dlna support and it is a desperate move? And since when has Apple has the most of the home streaming market?
  • Reply 167 of 259
    Quote:

I have iTunes on my iPhone, how do I stream it to my PS3.

Where do I get Nullriver from.

Is that like Winamp (Nullsoft) and Creative (iRiver) joined together?

Is it in the App store?

You cant, thats your boys in Cupertino blocking you from using your iPhone with anything not involving itunes. And while i cant stream my Bold either, i can easily sit it in its dock and listen to music saved on it thru my PS3 or 360.

Quote:

To me, it's just another way of getting what i want. It's cheap enough. Apple even encourages people to tinker with it, and so we have keyboards, USB HDDs etc. It's actually a good little computer in its own way.

I've seen estimates that Apple has sold up to 6 million of them since they first came out. How accurate that is, I can't say, but I can't say it's wrong either.

idk if 229 is cheap but they do go on craigslist for about 150, which is more than i paid for my Mini lol.
  • Reply 168 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Cool. So let's take my mother's Macbook away. She knows next to nothing about computers but you should have seen the look on her face when I presented her with one last year. Now she has a way of keeping in touch with her friends and the rest of our family and it's made her much happier throughout the day. That to me is worth more than anything.

I'm glad you have such a lack of confidence in your Mother, she must be so proud of you.
  • Reply 169 of 259
    Quote:

A deserate move? I'm sorry, i think your apple shares are blocking your view of reality. There are 5500 devices available with dlna support and it is a deserate move?

With Apple having the large majority of the market for mobile entertainment, yes.

With a possible tablet coming out that might further consolidate things for them, yes.

I've seen no evidence that this has done any manufacturer any good.
  • Reply 170 of 259
    Quote:

I wouldn't call that desperate at all. Apple has the PMP market on lock and thats about it. Microsoft and Sony are both trying to be king of the living room both with their own streaming services for movies and support for Netflix. Microsoft has certainly made a lot of headway but Blu-Ray at a cheap price with extra functionality brought Sony roaring back. Apple's model works well for their portable stuff, but its not paying off in the living room and might not for awhile.

Quote:

A deserate move? I'm sorry, i think your apple shares are blocking your view of reality. There are 5500 devices available with dlna support and it is a deserate move?

i dont think your p button works lol.
  • Reply 171 of 259
    Quote:

I've seen estimates that Apple has sold up to 6 million of them since they first came out. How accurate that is, I can't say, but I can't say it's wrong either.

Sony sold 3.8 million PS3s over the holliday period
  • Reply 172 of 259
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Jon Rubinstein apparently re:- lack of touching one.

Quote:

Who is talking about the iPhone?

How does a $A5.99 Internet radio streaming App get content from iTunes on my iPhone to my PS3?

I thought you said it was simple and easy to set up..

Quote:

Nullriver is a company, google it.

yes, nullriver has software on the app store, search for it.

• Reply 173 of 259
    Quote:

With Apple having the large majority of the market for mobile entertainment, yes.

So you pick up your ATV and your TV and walk around with them?

Quote:

I've seen no evidence that this has done any manufacturer any good.

Well the reason I choose the NAS I have was due to its DLNA support, so yes that did them some good.
  • Reply 174 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I wouldn't call that desperate at all. Apple has the PMP market on lock and thats about it. Microsoft and Sony are both trying to be king of the living room both with their own streaming services for movies and support for Netflix. Microsoft has certainly made a lot of headway but Blu-Ray at a cheap price with extra functionality brought Sony roaring back. Apple's model works well for their portable stuff, but its not paying off in the living room and might not for awhile.

No one knows how well MS is doing there, because just like with their Zune's, they refuse to release any numbers. When a company does that, it usually means they aren't as successful as they want people to think.

We're now seeing the same thing with Amazon. They claim their devices are very popular, but refuse to release numbers to prove it.

Apple isn't claiming anything for the ATv so far.

i dont think your p button works lol.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 175 of 259
    Quote:

Sony sold 3.8 million PS3s over the holliday period

Well, it's a game machine.
  • Reply 176 of 259
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

i dont think your p button works lol.

Thanks, I would like to blame the keyboard, but it appears to be the user at fault.
  • Reply 177 of 259
    Quote:

So you pick up your ATV and your TV and walk around with them?

As much as you do with your PS3 and Tv.

Quote:

Well the reason I choose the NAS I have was due to its DLNA support, so yes that did them some good.

It's not that important.
  • Reply 178 of 259
    I think we've moved slightly off topic.

Perhaps we can turn the boat around?
  • Reply 179 of 259
    Quote:

Jon Rubinstein apparently re:- lack of touching one.

That's right, thanks, I forgot what the original topic was. But in saying that, there is nothing, apart from Apple, stopping someone from writing a DLNA app for the iPhone/iPod touch. But since both of them require a computer to activate them, why not stream them from the computer?

Quote:

How does a $A5.99 Internet radio streaming App get content from iTunes on my iPhone to my PS3?

You asked it nullriver was on the app store, well yes they are, nullriver is a company and they have an application on the app store, what is the issue?

Quote:

I thought you said it was simple and easy to set up..

It is on a Mac.
  • Reply 180 of 259
    Quote:

As much as you do with your PS3 and Tv.

Exactly, which is why the likes of Sony still owns the living room.

Quote:

It's not that important.

Why? Because I proved you wrong?