Apple iPad demand exceeds pre-launch iPhone buzz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A new survey has found that 13 percent of respondents are likely to buy Apple's forthcoming iPad, a number greater than the 9 percent who planned to purchase an iPhone before its launch in 2007.

Details of the survey from RBC/ChangeWave were released Tuesday by RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky. He said the responses from 3,200 participants show strong pent-up consumer demand for the iPad, which could bode well for Apple's new product.

One of the strongest assets for the iPad is its $499 starting price. While 28 percent of respondents in 2007 said the iPhone was too expensive, only 8 percent in 2010 said they would not buy the iPad based on its price. In addition, while 19 percent said they are interested in the $499, 16GB model, another 19 percent said they would opt for the high-end, $829, 64GB model with 3G.

The survey also found that lack of a camera, support for Adobe Flash, or multitasking have not had a significant impact on buyer interest. Most consumers plan on using the iPad for a variety of functions, suggesting it will serve as more of a netbook than e-reader. Of those surveyed, 68 percent said they would surf the Internet with the iPad, 44 percent would check e-mail, and 37 percent are interested in reading e-books.

The survey also found the iPad will also have an effect on sales of other Mac products: 25 percent of respondents said they will delay planned purchases of one or more Apple products due to the iPad. MacBook purchases will be delayed by 9 percent of respondents, while 10 percent were prospective iPhone buyers that will now postpone their purchase.

The survey's positive outlook for the iPad led Abramsky to maintain its prediction of 5 million units sold in the calendar year 2010, resulting in $2.4 billion in revenue and 33 cents earnings per share.

"This data, while preliminary, suggests iPad may have greater potential than expected, to expand Apple's addressable PC, iPod markets and to capture a segment of the home PC market," Abramsky wrote.

RBC Capital Markets has reiterated its outperform rating for AAPL stock, and has maintained a price target of $275.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 190
    Was there ever any doubt that demand would be high?
  • Reply 2 of 190
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Not in my mind.

I'm glad I decided to go with 32g WiFi only as it seems demand will be lower for that model overall.
  • Reply 3 of 190
    The iPad is going to be HUGE.

This is not just a big iTouch. Developers who tried to shrink desktop apps down to the iPhone in 2007 failed, because it was a new paradigm requiring a new kind of app. Three years later we take it for granted but an iPhone app is unlike anything that came before.

The iPad builds on that paradigm, but developers who do nothing more than blow up an iPhone app will not be well received in the marketplace. Look at the difference between iPhone calendar and iPad calendar for example. Or photos.

iPad has the real estate to break away from the one screen per task rule required by the iPhone's small screen. Yet at the same time it keeps the best features - intuitive touch selection and navigation, no file system details to confuse grandma, etc etc
  • Reply 4 of 190
    My friends, the Great Experiment... the iPad, ready for trial runs.

This is the future.

The potential of the iPad platform is insane. It was apparent from the first minute it was demo'd by Jobs.

Right after, Future Shock hit everyone like runaway train.
  • Reply 5 of 190
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "The survey also found that lack of a camera, support for Adobe Flash, or multitasking have not had a significant impact on buyer interest."

But resident trolls like iGenius and TEKSTUD say the lack of these features are deal killers and the iPad will fail miserably without them. This survey must be wrong. Right? Or are the trolls just urinating into a headwind?
  • Reply 6 of 190
    Quote:

Well, if you read fanboy sites like AppleInsider and MacRumors, everyone is completely disappointed about every millimeter of the device which is way overpriced (ignoring the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing) and way underfeatured (ignoring the laws of physics).

Every single thing about the device is a dealbreaker for someone at these sites, so if you believed them, it is rather surprising that anyone would be interested at all at the iPad, which should run OS X or Windows 7 for eighty hours on a quad-core i7, weigh two ounces, have a GPU that outperforms the best MacPro graphics card, has five USB 3.0 ports, two FireWire 800 ports, have a quad-mode GSM/CDMA/3G/4G chip, LightPeak, at least two gigabytes of main memory, 1 terabyte of storage, DisplayPort Mini port, and shovel snow off your driveway. Oh, and Apple should throw in the wireless keyboard and mouse for free.

All for $99.
  • Reply 7 of 190
    The iPad is going to be interesting to watch how it plays out.

Some of the problems I see is the difficulty in propping up the device to use and the arms and hands getting tired from all the moving required to navigate the screen.

I predict that the screen will require constant cleaning.

To combat these problems, I see interesting third party devices arising that will duplicate some of the ergonomic features of a laptop for the iPad, basically adding the keyboard and trackpad with a clear slider sleeve to hold the iPad and protect the screen, provide anti-glare abilities, and charge up both devices too.

Hopefully the iPad will not get too hot to shorten it's life in such enclosed products.

People will have all sorts of these iPad/Laptop converters, in various colors, shapes and styles.

Trick of course is allowing touch ability through the clear screen protector for those apps absolutely requiring touch and can't be duplicated in a keyboard or trackpad command.

It's obvious Apple is marketing this iPad device to replace the $1000 MacBook in schools, so now that it's about $500 for the base model, half the price of a MacBook.

A Dell Mini 10 netbook can be had for less than the price of a iPad and still have a real keyboard and wider access to more software titles (but more headaches, more fragile and less child friendly UI naturally) because of Windows and using of hard drives.

Again it will be interesting how the iPad plays out.
  • Reply 8 of 190
    I think there is more hype now around the iPad than there was with the iPhone. It probably has to do with the iPad's uncertainty and potential at the same time.

But there just aren't as many people interested in the iPad as there was with the iPhone. The iPhone was more marketable, more people wanted it, more people loved the idea of it. The iPad will do great, but I don't see such a wide user base as with a small hand held device that does a lot.

iPad news and updates:

http://iPadLot.com
  • Reply 9 of 190
    Quote:

My friends, the Great Experiment... the iPad, ready for trial runs.

This is the future.

The potential of the iPad platform is insane. It was apparent from the first minute it was demo'd by Jobs.

Right after, Future Shock hit everyone like runaway train.

Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

Truth be told, no one will know how successful the iPad is until it goes on sale. Whether any of the argued limitations (lack of Flash support, front-facing camera, etc.) will affect interest is just speculation. Obviously it's a deal breaker for some customers, others not so much.

In a lot of ways, the iPad has a leg up on the iPhone in terms of pre-release buzz. It's got the App Store, which is huge. If you remember, the original iPhone didn't have an App Store upon initial release. I don't want to take anything away from the iPhone OS, because that was a game changing way to do mobile operating systems, but it was the advent of the App Store that really helped to propel the iPhone into orbit.

More so than the hardware, I think the iPad will be defined by the quality of apps that take advantage of the extra real estate and processing power. Some have pegged it as a type of "super Kindle," but it could prove to be an amazing game machine or something no one has yet thought of.
  • Reply 10 of 190
    The Apple retail stores will help sell a lot of ipads. The ability to walk in and touch, feel and play with the device cannot be overlooked.
  • Reply 11 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Some of the problems I see is the difficulty in propping up the device to use and the arms and hands getting tired from all the moving required to navigate the screen.

To combat these problems, I see interesting third party devices arising that will turn the iPad into a laptop, basically adding the keyboard and trackpad with a clear slider sleeve to hold the iPad and protect the screen, provide anti-glare abilities, and charge up both devices too.

Hopefully the iPad will not get too hot to shorten it's life in such enclosed products.

People will have all sorts of these iPad/Laptop converters, in various colors, shapes and styles.

Trick of course is allowing touch ability through the clear screen protector for those apps absolutely requiring touch and can't be duplicated in a keyboard or trackpad command.

Have you visited the Apple's iPad website? All the pages.

Do you know what "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating" does?

I gather you never had an iPhone, with or without a screen protector?
  • Reply 12 of 190
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    7 million hotcakes coming up! I've got my fork and syrup! Plz to pass the Apple Juice and kool-aid.
  • Reply 13 of 190
    http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.p...40&cid=2467504

by LoudMusic (199347) on Tuesday October 23 2001, @01:52PM (#2467504)

[I]Raise your hand if you have iTunes ...

Raise your hand if you have a FireWire port ...

Raise your hand if you have both ...

Raise your hand if you have $400 to spend on a cute Apple device ...

There is Apple's market. Pretty slim, eh? I don't see many sales in the future of iPod.
  • Reply 14 of 190
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

To combat these problems, I see interesting third party devices arising that will turn the iPad into a laptop, basically adding the keyboard and trackpad with a clear slider sleeve to hold the iPad and protect the screen, provide anti-glare abilities, and charge up both devices too.

It's obvious Apple is marketing this iPad device to replace the $1000 MacBook in schools, so now that it's about $500 for the base model, half the price of a MacBook.

A Dell Mini 10 netbook can be had for less than the price of a iPad and still have a real keyboard and wider access to more software titles (but more headaches and less child friendly UI naturally) because of Windows.

Again it will be interesting how the iPad plays out.

converting a multi-touch product into a laptop?

This is backwards thinking at its finest.
  • Reply 15 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

iPad news and updates:

http://iPadLot.com

Poor choice for a web site name, Apple is going to want the web site owner to remove the "iPad" part.

Just like Apple made iPodLounge change to iLounge.

Be forewarned!!!
  • Reply 16 of 190
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    duplicate...
  • Reply 17 of 190
    Quote:

I think there is more hype now around the iPad than there was with the iPhone. It probably has to do with the iPad's uncertainty and potential at the same time.

But there just aren't as many people interested in the iPad as there was with the iPhone. The iPhone was more marketable, more people wanted it, more people loved the idea of it. The iPad will do great, but I don't see such a wide user base as with a small hand held device that does a lot.

This is a good comment.
  • Reply 18 of 190
    Quote:

We are a family of four. One iPhone. I could never get my wife on board-she is very happy with her iPod touch.

We plan on getting three* iPads with WiFI day one. And another with Wi-Fi+3G*† as soon as they are available.

On a more anecdotal note, I am hearing more of the same thing from my friends, colleagues and client. No matter how many people I show my iPhone to, there is not the interest or 'I wanna this' as when they see the iPad video. This is especially true at the university and in business where Wi-Fi is ubiquitous.

*iPad app development

†For client demonstrations and my ego.
  • Reply 19 of 190
    Quote:

Poor choice for a web site name, Apple is going to want the web site owner to remove the "iPad" part.

Just like Apple made iPodLounge change to iLounge.

Be forewarned!!!

Apple doesn't own the Trademark yet, so they have no case. Yet.
  • Reply 20 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

The Apple retail stores will help sell a lot of ipads. The ability to walk in and touch, feel and play with the device cannot be overlooked.

It's easy to say they when you can find one.