Apple iPad demand exceeds pre-launch iPhone buzz

Comments

• Reply 141 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

All I've ever said is that's it's not another iPhone. PERIOD..

Then, "Say what you mean and mean what you say." -- to paraphrase Lewis Carroll. And not spew snide remarks, like this:

Quote:

UTTER NONSENSE

NO one I know is interested in this AT ALL. Everyone I know is waiting for the i7 chip in the MBP's already. Nice try by the chearleaders of Apple to whip up interest with this story.

to denigrate others, like myself, who find a use, or who have many friends who may be interested with the iPad.

I am already in touch with the business division of Apple, to connect with companies who may be developing softwares that will use the iPad for the "digitization of health information" and other small business needs that may be useful for the business we intend to set up.

So, it is not "UTTER NONSENSE", as you keep deluding yourself.

I do not plan to buy the first version iPad immediately, because I always buy the "second" or succeeding versions, when I buy an Apple product. But, those with enough imagination should not find it difficult to see the potential of products, such as the iPad, or similar mobile devices.

In the field I have been in, I have used both PCs and Apple products, as well as other systems. I found that I am more at ease in using Apple products. Considering how much more costly my time is, I do not consider the few hundreds of dollars that an Apple product to be overpriced. It beats wasting time looking for tech support, and the wasted time not being able to do what needed to be done whenever a computer breaks down.

Quote:

and yes I consider Kindle a success especiallly when a product's name is cemented in everyday vernacular. iPad? we shall see.

By your own definition of success, even before iPad is available, it is already a resounding success:
    1. It is the talk of the blogsphere -- both pros and cons.

2. It has forced the Kindle maker Amazon to change its business paradigm because it knows it will lose, if it does not do so

3. it forced Amazon to to attempt to improve its Kindle technology to emulate "some of the capabilities" of the iPad.

4. Even before iPad is in the market, many fields (education, biotechnology, healthcare, etc.), publications, mass media (news, television), entertainment, gaming, and many professions are already trying to develop applications for iPad

More than likely, more people have heard of the iPad than Kindle. I was surprised to learn that an elementary grade student wanted it for her birthday present. after seeing Steve Jobs' presentation. Unfortunately, she did not get her wish because her mom wanted a cheap Dell computer inst.ead
  • Reply 142 of 190
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Suggestion - Make it available for pre-order and get back with some 'credible' statistics...[/CENTER]
  • Reply 143 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you looks at other uses for the device the usability opens up dramatically.

? http://www.electronista.com/articles...ipad.requests/

I know what you are saying. Even if one never uses the ibook store or browses the web it's still a great tool. For instance some of the slate applications are approaching solid replacements for actual synch slates that cost $1,500 on their own. There's a teleprompter app that would complement the production trade as well and there are already some great screenwriting apps as well. Anecdotal sure, but there are other trades that would benefit in similar ways. Contractors, designers etc all have some great tools available as apps. Cool stuff. I'm not sure why people can't get past the fact that it's a great tool beyond being the perfect movie viewer or book reader. If that's all it did I'd agree it would flop, but it's allot more than that thanks to some great developers and thanks to Apple making a simple tool that works well out of the box, intuitively. Anyone can make a slate computer, but it's the ecosystem in which it exists that gives the ipad the edge.
  • Reply 144 of 190
    Quote:

he says stuff like that all the time. The other day he said he "could buy over 10x" or something like that and wanted to compare financial records to prove it. Like I'm going to show anyone on the internet my records. Would calling him a stupid asstard be a violation of AI's rules? it would? Okay then, I won't call him any names.

Whem members make idiotic comments I simply have to make them look stupid. Making you and Quadra look stupid has become a full time job.
  • Reply 145 of 190
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Do you think Apple hasn't thought of this and planned for it? Apple has the whole game figured out for the next few years.

iBooks will proliferate. Another iTunes phenomenon.

Maybe, but how long will it take. It took Apple years to bring video content to the UK iTunes store after the US video store launched. And even now it has tiny, tiny fraction of what the US store does, charges 2x as much, is months or years out of date, and has very little HD on offer.

Apple really only care about the US market. Everyone else doesn't really get a look in, and unlike the iPod, where people could ripp their own music, the iPad is useless without an online book store.
  • Reply 146 of 190
    Quote:

and yes I consider Kindle a success especiallly when a product's name is cemented in everyday vernacular.

iPad? we shall see.

So is "iPad." And it's not even on sale yet.
  • Reply 147 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

the iPad is useless without an online book store.

Explain.
  • Reply 148 of 190
    Quote:

he says stuff like that all the time. The other day he said he "could buy over 10x" or something like that and wanted to compare financial records to prove it. Like I'm going to show anyone on the internet my records. Would calling him a stupid asstard be a violation of AI's rules? it would? Okay then, I won't call him any names.

Maybe we can take the Glenn beck approach? I'm not willing to push it, but...

Is extremeskater a delusional *** licking **** lover? I don't know, but I'm asking questions
  • Reply 149 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Whem members make idiotic comments I simply have to make them look stupid. Making you and Quadra look stupid has become a full time job.

You should work on your skills then because your kung-fu is weak.
  • Reply 150 of 190
    cgc0202....I do not plan to buy the first version iPad immediately, because I always buy the "second" or succeeding versions, when I buy an Apple product."

cgc0202 you have more willpower than I do! I bought the first gen. intel iMac...intel macbook, 1st gen. iPhone! Still have them all but replaced my iPhone with a 3Gs as soon as it came out! Which in turn replaced all my iPods and 80% of my MacBook!

Although I do have to say I've been very impressed with Apple Software updates for first gen hardware. Not just the Mac's and iPhone but also AppleTV....I got one a couple of years ago and yet I have and am able to use the latest iteration of its software. No matter what one might think of AppleTV, I think that's pretty good. Not too mention both my computers are running Snow Leopard.

I guess what I mean to say is I'm quite comfortable buying 1st gen. Apple products, but I also see your point of view, too!
  • Reply 151 of 190
    Quote:

I find your aptitude deficient in that regard.
  • Reply 152 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

More than likely, more people have heard of the iPad than Kindle. I was surprised to learn that an elementary grade student wanted it for her birthday present after seeing Steve Jobs' presentation. Unfortunately, she did not get her wish because her mom wanted a cheap Dell computer instead

Or maybe she didn't get one because she's a spoiled little brat. \ Just saying.
  • Reply 153 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Or maybe she didn't get one because she's a spoiled little brat. \ Just saying.

If you want to make a teenage girl cry this next Christmas, give her a tablet that is something other than Apple's iPad!

Another poster said this years ago only he was referring to the iPod vs. other MP3 players at the time!

Apple's iPad is going to be the success that the MBA should have been but was just too expensive!
  • Reply 154 of 190
    Quote:

I wonder how someone who is routinely wrong about Apple, its products, its market, its advertising (especially this) and performance, can accomplish that.
  • Reply 155 of 190
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"The survey also found that lack of a camera, support for Adobe Flash, or multitasking have not had a significant impact on buyer interest."

But resident trolls like iGenius and TEKSTUD say the lack of these features are deal killers and the iPad will fail miserably without them. This survey must be wrong. Right? Or are the trolls just urinating into a headwind?

The only one of those 3 missing "features" that is likely to have a significant impact, imo, is the lack of Flash. Most normal people don't obsess over things like multitasking on the computer, just so long as the interface does what they want or expect. I believe in any event that multitasking capabilities will become available over time, possibly starting with iPhone OS 4.

As far as I can tell, the only legitimate reason to have a camera on the iPad would be for video teleconferencing. It just doesn't make sense as a still camera in my view. I would guess that Apple likely had developmental models with such a camera, but it was probably deemed inadequate, either for reasons of variable network bandwidth and/or insufficient processing horsepower. Battery life could also have been an issue. Bottom line, if the experience wasn't consistently exceptional, it didn't make the cut. How many people video teleconference anyway?

Certainly many will not buy an iPad because it doesn't do Flash. Fortunately this topic has reached the mainstream press, and while there will certainly be some returns (hello refurb store) I think the news is widespread enough that most people will be able to make an informed buying decision. For those of us who prefer to avoid Flash on the web, it's not a problem, and the winds have already begun to shift, as many websites have begun to offer alternate content for mobile browsers that do not do Flash.

Apple will sell lots of iPads, and the increasing number of non Flash mobile devices entering the market will increase the pressure on websites to cater to that ever growing customer base. I intend to be a part of that crowd. Flash free and loving it!
  • Reply 156 of 190
    Quote:

"The survey also found that lack of a camera, support for Adobe Flash, or multitasking have not had a significant impact on buyer interest."

But resident trolls like iGenius and TEKSTUD say the lack of these features are deal killers and the iPad will fail miserably without them. This survey must be wrong. Right? Or are the trolls just urinating into a headwind?

They don't get Apple. They don't get Apple's market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see if within a year they'll be singing the iPad's praises and acting as if they've believed in the product all along.
  • Reply 157 of 190
    Quote:

I wonder how someone who is routinely wrong about Apple, its products, its market, its advertising and performance, can accomplish that.

Unfortunately, I've met many people claiming 30 years of experience at or in something, when it turned out to be 1 year of experience 30 times over.
  • Reply 158 of 190
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

If you're going to go that big with it, it's probably best to leave out the colour.

Not a bad idea at all.
  • Reply 159 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I intend to be a part of that crowd. Flash free and loving it!

Me too! I'm a big Nike fan, tennis shoes, clothes, running, golf, etc., but just hate going to their website...I guess a few years ago it was considered 'fancy, dancy' but to me it's just aggra-noying and therefore I really try not to visit it!

Same with most of the Auto manufacturer websites....

Ps. ClicktoFlash FTW
  • Reply 160 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Was there ever any doubt that demand would be high?

Not among thinking individuals. Most of the people predicting it would fail were basing that on mindless mis-information.

Quote:

Did you really need additional information that iGenius and tekstud are blithering idiots? That has been apparent for ages.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

But there just aren't as many people interested in the iPad as there was with the iPhone. The iPhone was more marketable, more people wanted it, more people loved the idea of it. The iPad will do great, but I don't see such a wide user base as with a small hand held device that does a lot.

So they did a survey and found that MORE people are interested in the iPad than the iPhone and you claim the opposite - with absolutely no evidence.

Now, the survey could be wrong, but it's far more likely that your mindless, anonymous speculation is in error.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

Truth be told, no one will know how successful the iPad is until it goes on sale.

That is, of course, false. For example - the iPad was presold in several countries -- and then pulled off the market when demand exceeded any plausible supply.

Not to mention that Apple has more experience in judging consumer acceptance of new devices than you do (by quite a few orders of magnitude) and they're predicting huge success. Read some of the analyst reviews. Virtually every analyst is predicting many millions sold - even the most negative ones.

Quote:

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.p...40&cid=2467504

by LoudMusic (199347) on Tuesday October 23 2001, @01:52PM (#2467504)

[I]Raise your hand if you have iTunes ...

Raise your hand if you have a FireWire port ...

Raise your hand if you have both ...

Raise your hand if you have $400 to spend on a cute Apple device ...

There is Apple's market. Pretty slim, eh? I don't see many sales in the future of iPod.

They said it about the iPhone, too. Sadly, some people just aren't smart enough to learn from their mistakes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

We are a family of four. One iPhone. I could never get my wife on board-she is very happy with her iPod touch.

We plan on getting three* iPads with WiFI day one. And another with Wi-Fi+3G*† as soon as they are available.

On a more anecdotal note, I am hearing more of the same thing from my friends, colleagues and client. No matter how many people I show my iPhone to, there is not the interest or 'I wanna this' as when they see the iPad video. This is especially true at the university and in business where Wi-Fi is ubiquitous.

*iPad app development

†For client demonstrations and my ego.

Exactly. I'm going to order 3 for work and one for home as soon as I can (although I'll probably wait for the 3G version).

Quote:

NO one I know is interested in this AT ALL. Everyone I know is waiting for the i7 chip in the MBP's already.

Nice try by the chearleaders of Apple to whip up interest with this story.

Sorry, but it wasn't the Apple cheerleaders who whipped up this story. Not to mention, of course, that your perception about the i7 MBP being more important is just plain absurd.

Quote:

Or conversely dangerous to be such an addict.

Obviously, you're speaking from experience. I've heard that there are programs that can help you get over that.