Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 241 of 335
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I think the problem was not with "terse" but with "worded." How can a one word reply be worded (plural)?

I e OP.

How can a one word reply NOT be worded (plural)?

show me how you would write this

terse worded or terse word

slow sweek end

go apple
  • Reply 242 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Just $US2 added to the cost of each book, that's how Amazon covers roaming costs via AT&T roaming partners.

If I wanted to avoid that cost why shouldn't I tether it to my iPhone, use my data I've paid for and pay less for books?

Intersting that you avoided answering Jfannings questions. Anyway, can you provide proof of the additional 2 dollars that you said Amazon charges to cover the costs to AT&T?
  • Reply 243 of 335
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    No, I'll put you on the ignore list with jfanning and occasionally look at your comments.

Etsi Kindle Australiassa.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Intersting that you avoided answering Jfannings questions. Anyway, can you provide proof of the additional 2 dollars that you said Amazon charges to cover the costs to AT&T?

• Reply 244 of 335
    Dump......
  • Reply 245 of 335
    Quote:

... Anyway, can you provide proof of the additional 2 dollars that you said Amazon charges to cover the costs to AT&T?

Here's what Amazon outlines.
  • Reply 246 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Here's what Amazon outlines.

Thanks Curtis,

This I knew already, as the Kindle forums are in advanced freak out mode. I was asking if there was something else other than this. I already knew about the cost of doing biz with the "international" version Kindle.
  • Reply 247 of 335
    Quote:

Thanks Curtis,

This I knew already, as the Kindle forums are in advanced freak out mode. I was asking if there was something else other than this. I already knew about the cost of doing biz with the "international" version Kindle.

I understand. I'm only familiar with the $2 fee for roaming outside of the U.S. (excluding Mexico, Japan, Hong Kong)
  • Reply 248 of 335
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I agree, no similar restriction here, it seems to be a US/AT&T restriction. A lot of people are mistaking restrictions put in place by AT&T for restrictions being put in place by Apple. Apple allow tethering in other countries, the only different factor is the network operator. Maybe you Americans should be shouting at AT&T. I'm pretty sure it won't happen, but there's nothing to stop AT&T offering a deal with a free secondary sim so that same contract covers both devices.

As someone has previously stated, Apple "do not own the pipes", this seems to be a carrier decision, not Apple's.

while it is true that apple does not own the pipes, they DO sell the faucet. while canadian carriers officially allowed tethering, iphone users had no access to it until apple allowed via iphone 3 (i think). the fact that netshare got pulled from the canadian itunes store at the same time as it was in the us was clearly apple's decision, and was justified with being in violation with at&t's terms. that didn't make a lot of sense outside of the US.
  • Reply 249 of 335
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, I'll put you on the ignore list with jfanning and occasionally look at your comments.

Etsi Kindle Australiassa.

easier than answering a question, I guess
  • Reply 250 of 335
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That makes sense for laptop tethering but the iPad is a big iPhone or iPod without 3G. While browsing, it will be exactly like running an iphone on the same network so there's just no need for two charges if you own both devices.

By that reasoning wouldn't it make sense for me to demand that AT&T allow me to operated two phones on the same data plan?
  • Reply 251 of 335
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Lithuania.

According to this source you don't get unlimited data. http://wiki.maemo.org/Data_plans#Lithuania
  • Reply 252 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

easier than answering a question, I guess

Typical back pedaling answer as normal from him. He has no arguments and runs and hides at the first chance he gets. His drive-by posts have no merit.
  • Reply 253 of 335
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You've just answered your own question. There is no difference between $30 on separate plan or $30 tethering. However, tethering will drain both devices battery at the same time and the current iPad data plan requires no contract. So a separate plan is better choice if you are welling to pay. Most people who want tethering wants it because their carrier don't charge for it.

The 3G model does not require a contract. It is a month by month plan.

Yes, there IS a difference: If someone pays to tether their phone, it's so they can share the internet connection with their devices. Device(S) PLURAL lol. As in anything with wifi. The ipad isn't the only thing they can tether.

Bending over and accepting this ridiculous bs is fundamentally the biggest difference between Apple die-hards and tech geeks. What business is it of Steve Jobs to govern such a thing? This is the type of nonsensical control Apple demonstrates that normal rationally thinking people hate.

I really don't have anything to complain about personally since I can setup a wifi hotspot with my non-Apple phone, and the ipad will connect to it as any other wifi hotspot, but for people to sit here and try and justify such obvious bs is just typical. People around here don't hold Apple to the standard they need to.

So a person pays for tethering on their phone plan, but now the master overlord Steve Jobs says they'll need to pay extra to get 3g on their ipad. This is just another one of those times that I'm so glad I didn't buy a phone from that asshole.
  • Reply 254 of 335
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By that reasoning wouldn't it make sense for me to demand that AT&T allow me to operated two phones on the same data plan?

So really this is a matter of debating whether or not the ipad is more like a laptop (or netbook) or more like a phone restricted to a service plan.

I'm still in this CRAZY state of mind that the ipad is supposed to be more like a computer. It's got wifi, which means for me it can have internet through my unlimited plan with Sprint (no, not limited to 5gb, trust me.)

So far the most viable argument for not supporting tethering through the iphone (when someone pays for it) is that both devices will drain, but this is SUCH a weak argument. It's not up to Jobs to tell anyone they shouldn't drain their devices.

This is all just so retarded.
  • Reply 255 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yes, there IS a difference: If someone pays to tether their phone, it's so they can share the internet connection with their devices. Device(S) PLURAL lol. As in anything with wifi. The ipad isn't the only thing they can tether.

Bending over and accepting this ridiculous bs is fundamentally the biggest difference between Apple die-hards and tech geeks. What business is it of Steve Jobs to govern such a thing? This is the type of nonsensical control Apple demonstrates that normal rationally thinking people hate.

I really don't have anything to complain about personally since I can setup a wifi hotspot with my non-Apple phone, and the ipad will connect to it as any other wifi hotspot, but for people to sit here and try and justify such obvious bs is just typical. People around here don't hold Apple to the standard they need to.

So a person pays for tethering on their phone plan, but now the master overlord Steve Jobs says they'll need to pay extra to get 3g on their ipad. This is just another one of those times that I'm so glad I didn't buy a phone from that asshole.

Dude. You are speaking my language. I feel exactly as you do even though I do not have to pay for tethering. My operator thinks is natural as all data is data. Anyway, while I did by a phone from the guy who is truly showing that he is becoming an asshole, I have to thank Nokia for being the missing link that allows my Apple devices to connect while AT&T doesn't when I travel. By the way, the tethering is controlled by AT&T as far as I can tell. When I bought my iPhone, it tethered the same day. No special config files from the operator as far as I can tell. THey did send one when they unlocked it.
  • Reply 256 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I am doing that right now. I have one data plan and two phones (Nokia N86) and an iPhone on it. One number, two SIM cards, one data plan.

AT&T simply sucks and will rape you for as long as you let them.

It is not wrong for AT&T to make money. It is only fair. It is the way they go about it that is the problem.
  • Reply 257 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So really this is a matter of debating whether or not the ipad is more like a laptop (or netbook) or more like a phone restricted to a service plan.

I'm still in this CRAZY state of mind that the ipad is supposed to be more like a computer. It's got wifi, which means for me it can have internet through my unlimited plan with Sprint (no, not limited to 5gb, trust me.)

So far the most viable argument for not supporting tethering through the iphone (when someone pays for it) is that both devices will drain, but this is SUCH a weak argument. It's not up to Jobs to tell anyone they shouldn't drain their devices.

This is all just so retarded.

I don't understand how people can go from Apple choosing not to include a feature they don't wish to code for and support to Jobs directly telling them what they can and can't do with their devices. Before it's YOUR device, it's Apple's device and they have the right to make it the way they see fit, just as we have the right not to buy it if it doesn't suit our needs. There will plenty of other tablets coming down the line now that Apple has seemingly created a viable tablet market. Why not just hold out for a tablet running Android or just buy an Android phone so you can turn on cellular sharing over WiFi without the carrier's knowledge?

As for the iPad being a "more like a computer", that couldn't be farther from the truth. Nothing has made it appear like a PC, which was a major issue for many posters here... until this news came out. You can't really have it both ways. It uses iTunes to sync, there is no way to use Time Machine to back it up independently, and the highest priced model is below the cost of the cheapest MacBook and you can't sync an iPod or iPhone to it because it only has an iPod app, not iTunes in it. For better or worse, they've clearly positioned the iPad as an accessory device for your computer.
  • Reply 258 of 335
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't understand how people can go from Apple choosing not to include a feature they don't wish to code for and support to Jobs directly telling them what they can and can't do with their devices. Before it's YOUR device, it's Apple's device and they have the right to make it the way they see fit, just as we have the right not to buy it if it doesn't suit our needs. There will plenty of other tablets coming down the line now that Apple has seemingly created a viable tablet market. Why not just hold out for a tablet running Android or just buy an Android phone so you can turn on cellular sharing over WiFi without the carrier's knowledge?

As for the iPad being a "more like a computer" that is so far from the truth and nothing has made it appear like a PC, which was a major issue for many... until this news came out. You can't really have it both ways. It uses iTunes to sync, there is no way to use Time Machine to back it up independently, and the highest priced model is below the cost of the cheapest MacBook. For better or worse, they've made its position an accessory device for your computer perfectly clear.

I bought this toaster? And it doesn't have that "Bagel" button that toasts just one side? And some other toasters do?

So the manufacturer of that toaster is attempting to forbid me from having bagels. So they're totalitarian monsters.
  • Reply 259 of 335
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

while it is true that apple does not own the pipes, they DO sell the faucet. while canadian carriers officially allowed tethering, iphone users had no access to it until apple allowed via iphone 3 (i think). the fact that netshare got pulled from the canadian itunes store at the same time as it was in the us was clearly apple's decision, and was justified with being in violation with at&t's terms. that didn't make a lot of sense outside of the US.

Apple sells one of the many data exchangers available from AT&T.

The iPad's new deal is clear that Apple now has more leverage, but they don't dictate the exchangers and thus tell AT&T how to run it's backbone.
  • Reply 260 of 335
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

I am doing that right now. I have one data plan and two phones (Nokia N86) and an iPhone on it. One number, two SIM cards, one data plan.

AT&T simply sucks and will rape you for as long as you let them.

It is not wrong for AT&T to make money. It is only fair. It is the way they go about it that is the problem.

Classic coming from a Fin. I do recall the a-holish control Nokia placed on Voicestream [the days before T-Mobile USA] and how draconian Nokia was about it's product line. Those were fun times, watching internally the pissed off looks on all the Voicestream personnel.