Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 221 of 335
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Let's not have an unnecessary Sunday morning linguistics battle, okay?

He did not say "To wit, Lithuania is not in 'Europe.'" As, the U.S. is but one country that cannot speak for other country policies, so it is for Lithuania vis a vis other European countries. (at least, I think that's what he meant)

Curtis gets the gold star.
  • Reply 222 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Tethering should be option where it's legaly allowed. And here, in Europe" it's pretty much allowed.

I agree that It would great if it was allowed, but this talk of what a company should do is moot. Do you not have a free market? Are companies not allowed to offer the features that best work with their business model and their partners?

If we don't like it we can find ways around it (I've been terheting in the US for 2 years), or vote by buying a competitor's product that does allow it. This is a new device so maybe they plan to add iAP later but that isn't commonly used an Apple has always been slow with BT so I doubt it.

As it's been stated before, Netshare allows you to share you iPhone cellular via WiFi. Netshare isn't allowed in the US but if tethering is in your country then shouldn't than app be available on your Apple Store? Even if Netshare is no longer available, what is to stop other countries from making apps allow WiFI sharing?
  • Reply 223 of 335
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    "Lithuania ish not Europe, Dr. Ryan."

• Reply 224 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Hmmmm..... http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Lituania

and

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Really?

Really.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Let's not have an unnecessary Sunday morning linguistics battle, okay?

He did not say "To wit, Lithuania is not in 'Europe.'" As, the U.S. is but one country that cannot speak for other country policies, so it is for Lithuania vis a vis other European countries. (at least, I think that's what he meant)

Thanks.

PS: Careful, CurtisEMayle, you might get called for not recognizing that it s late afternoon in Europe. :-D
  • Reply 225 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

and

Really.

Thanks.

PS: Careful, CurtisEMayle, you might get called for not recognizing that it s late afternoon in Europe. :-D

Indeed, that was a very parochial comment.
  • Reply 226 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

and

And you were wrong. Anyway.......
  • Reply 227 of 335
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

The thing is. In Europe, well Finland for sure, the operators are not afraid of competition and openly encourage users to use as much data as possible. I have been tethering my iPhone to my MBP daily for the last 6 months and have used about 5 to 6 gives a month. I got a twin card last month that allows me to have the same data access (real unlimited data) simultaneously on both cards all for ?9 a month. I run my MBP off of my Nokia while I allow other in my office to piggy-back off of my iPhone. Yup. You guys are getting screwed over. Damn it has to suck being in the States with a data capable phone and being screwed to the wall to use it.

I agree, no similar restriction here, it seems to be a US/AT&T restriction. A lot of people are mistaking restrictions put in place by AT&T for restrictions being put in place by Apple. Apple allow tethering in other countries, the only different factor is the network operator. Maybe you Americans should be shouting at AT&T. I'm pretty sure it won't happen, but there's nothing to stop AT&T offering a deal with a free secondary sim so that same contract covers both devices.

As someone has previously stated, Apple "do not own the pipes", this seems to be a carrier decision, not Apple's.
  • Reply 228 of 335
    Quote:

And you were wrong. Anyway.......

• Reply 229 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

A lot of people are mistaking restrictions put in place by AT&T for restrictions being put in place by Apple. Apple allow tethering in other countries, the only different factor is the network operator. Maybe you Americans should be shouting at AT&T.

While AT&T is a problem, it's not just AT&T, it's other carriers, too. Tethering is an additional cost and if you buy a USB card for a PC the cost is $60/month, usually with a hard cap of 5GB.

Part of the problem is technological limitation of competition since the CDMA-based carrier phones are inherently locked to the carrier and the two GSM-based carriers are only compatible on '2G', but not '3G'.

Another issue is the socially accepted and rampant subsidization model locking customers into a company for 2 years. You can't have proper competition if you are only competing at purchase. I'm in the minority, but I'd have preferred to pay full price for an unlocked iPhone with a lower cost plan, but it would still be locked and the plan wouldn't change so what is the point.

Even the unlocked iPad is still effectively locked in the US market as it doesn't have the 3G spectrum needed for T-Mobile USA. This squarely falls on Apple as they could have made the HW with the additional 3G radio. This also gives me doubt that Apple is letting go of AT&T if they couldn't even make this unlocked device work on T-Mobile. Hopefully the radio is in there but not announced as Apple sometimes does.
  • Reply 230 of 335
    Well let me add to my European colleagues that you can tether in India using your data plan.

I found it really funny that USA is lagging behind rest of world with concern to this functionality.

P.S. http://shop.informatm.com/marlin/300...sh=1001d1d82f6 will give all information concerning European countries mobile carriers policies and practices.
  • Reply 231 of 335
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Buy a Kindle and tether it to your phone, does it allow it?

I wonder if carriers will subsidise an iPad, I'd rather have an iPad than the netbooks they currently offer subsidised on data plans here in Australia.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not sure which posts you are replying to here, but this only makes sense if everyone is talking about the USA market.

The thing that is bothering a lot of folks this morning after hearing this news is a great deal of us *do* have a contract that allows tethering. It's a very common thing outside of the USA. The idea that I would have to have separate data contracts for separate devices and pay a monthly fee for each is just absolutely insane to me.

I have tethering now. I pay my bill and I'm allowed 6GB a month of data through the iPhone, regardless of whether the phone pulls it down for itself or for a tethered laptop. Why would it be any other way? To me it's just a scam that any company would try to charge you extra. I have a contract that allows for tethering to computers and for 6GB of data. Data is data.

To find out this morning that for no *technical* reason at all, that this will be "disallowed" for this particular computer, simply so the carriers can make more money is like a slap in the face. This is just greed, plain and simple.

If my carrier sold me a contract where I pay 70 bucks a month for 6GB (they did), then obviously there is no strain on their infrastructure if I stay within it. It's like they are telling me they have planned for that bandwidth and indeed sold it to me. I currently only use a few hundred megs every few months, with the rest being free because, well it's a phone and how much data can you use anyway. With the iPad and editing documents I might get a bit closer to actually using my data allotment, but now (again for no technical reason at all), they are saying that I have to buy a second separate contract for that data even though I already have a contract that has 5.95GB of data I'm not using?

This is absolutely insane. It's borderline fraud. It's a sweetheart deal between Apple and the carriers that takes a normal computing device that is capable of tethering and uses a software "fix" to purposely disable it based on an agreement with the carrier that they should do so. It's collusion between Apple and the carrier to screw over the customer.

I've been arguing against jail-breaking devices for the entire time the iPhone has been in existence and now with the iPad, if it's possible to hack it and enable the tethering it I'll be doing it for the first time. I find this whole thing kind of offensive. It shakes my faith in Apple as a basically good company that they would do this.

• Reply 232 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not sure which posts you are replying to here, but this only makes sense if everyone is talking about the USA market.

The thing that is bothering a lot of folks this morning after hearing this news is a great deal of us *do* have a contract that allows tethering. It's a very common thing outside of the USA. The idea that I would have to have separate data contracts for separate devices and pay a monthly fee for each is just absolutely insane to me.

I have tethering now. I pay my bill and I'm allowed 6GB a month of data through the iPhone, regardless of whether the phone pulls it down for itself or for a tethered laptop. Why would it be any other way? To me it's just a scam that any company would try to charge you extra. I have a contract that allows for tethering to computers and for 6GB of data. Data is data.

To find out this morning that for no *technical* reason at all, that this will be "disallowed" for this particular computer, simply so the carriers can make more money is like a slap in the face. This is just greed, plain and simple.

If my carrier sold me a contract where I pay 70 bucks a month for 6GB (they did), then obviously there is no strain on their infrastructure if I stay within it. It's like they are telling me they have planned for that bandwidth and indeed sold it to me. I currently only use a few hundred megs every few months, with the rest being free because, well it's a phone and how much data can you use anyway. With the iPad and editing documents I might get a bit closer to actually using my data allotment, but now (again for no technical reason at all), they are saying that I have to buy a second separate contract for that data even though I already have a contract that has 5.95GB of data I'm not using?

This is absolutely insane. It's borderline fraud. It's a sweetheart deal between Apple and the carriers that takes a normal computing device that is capable of tethering and uses a software "fix" to purposely disable it based on an agreement with the carrier that they should do so. It's collusion between Apple and the carrier to screw over the customer.

I've been arguing against jail-breaking devices for the entire time the iPhone has been in existence and now with the iPad, if it's possible to hack it and enable the tethering it I'll be doing it for the first time. I find this whole thing kind of offensive. It shakes my faith in Apple as a basically good company that they would do this.

well said!!
  • Reply 233 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder if carriers will subsidise an iPad, I'd rather have an iPad than the netbooks they currently offer subsidised on data plans here in Australia.

How much are they in Australia? AT&T charges $200 for a netbook with a 2-year contract at $60;month for 5GB. Not exactly a good deal, IMO.
  • Reply 234 of 335
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    What idiot actually expects ATT to allow multiple devices to piggyback off of a data pkg you have for your phone? Insane. We have a family plan with several iPhones. Should I switch my account to a single line and expect ATT to allow all my devices to piggyback off of it?

Insane!!
  • Reply 235 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

What idiot actually expects ATT to allow multiple devices to piggyback off of a data pkg you have for your phone? Insane. We have a family plan with several iPhones. Should I switch my account to a single line and expect ATT to allow all my devices to piggyback off of it?

Insane!!

Then why can't Apple provide combined plan for both iphone and iPad at discount rate for existing iPhone users, or I am just an idiot for thinking that, since I love to full AT&T pocket with my money for no reason

P.S. no one is idiot for giving their opinion, especially a valid point!
  • Reply 236 of 335
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why would you want/need to since the Kindle internationlly has the feature...

3G Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle; no annual contracts, no monthly fees, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
  • Reply 237 of 335
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Then why can't Apple provide combined plan for both iphone and iPad at discount rate for existing iPhone users,

I'm assuming because Apple doesn't offer data plans...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

or I am just an idiot for thinking that, since I love to full AT&T pocket with my money for no reason

If you don't like what you're spending, cancel your contract.
  • Reply 238 of 335
    Roughly the same monthly cost in $A 5GB, zero upfront 24 months, $A40 for the plan $A20 a month for the netbook.

Dell Mini 10, Samsung something or Asus something, depending on the phone company.

Most of our phone plans involve zero up front, that's just the way it is here, due to habit and competition.

I'll weigh any plans up against buying a 3G version iPad outright and using the prepaid data SIM from the USB modem I use with my MacBook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How much are they in Australia? AT&T charges $200 for a netbook with a 2-year contract at $60;month for 5GB. Not exactly a good deal, IMO.

• Reply 239 of 335
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    'fired off tersely worded'

wow. what an emotional read of two letters...
  • Reply 240 of 335
    Just $US2 added to the cost of each book, that's how Amazon covers roaming costs via AT&T roaming partners.

If I wanted to avoid that cost why shouldn't I tether it to my iPhone, use my data I've paid for and pay less for books?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Why would you want/need to since the Kindle internationlly has the feature...

3G Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle; no annual contracts, no monthly fees, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots