Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 201 of 335
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

It will be interesting to see if a mechanical hack (i.e., cutting an iPhone SIM card to size*) will allow connection to unlimited data. That of course will not solve the tethering issue itself unless you have an unlocked iPhone (legally or otherwise) and a carrier that allows tethering. I for one will be happy to read about cutting down the SIM card and ways of shimming it back into the iPhone since it sounds VERY unstable to me.

That is truly a hack.

There are plenty of indie cell phone stores that have a machine to copy a Sim to a mini Sim. From what I hear, the charge is minimal.
  • Reply 202 of 335
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    If you think your carrier will allow tethering on a wifi handheld device for which there is already a 3G model, you've got another thing coming.
  • Reply 203 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Sorry, but no. This is as untrue as anything you could possibly post. I usually agree with you, but you are substantially off base with your comments re: the word Unlimited.

Unlimited time

Unlimited data usage

Unlimited bandwidth

Unlimited devices

All of those refer to a way a carrier could offer an unlimited service and simply stating unlimited on a poster does not and should not infer that all four of those items are considered unlimited. As i've stated, I'm not a fan of the US marketing system. I think they should be required to disclose more info pre-contract because many people just don't know better when it comes to how the technogy works. Though it should be clear in the contract that tethering is not allowed while unlimited data usage is permitted.
  • Reply 204 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think what happens is that in a predominantly male-oriented culture (the tech geeks), made up of individuals with a very binary world view of things (like Jobs everything is either "fantastic" or "shit"), that a lot of angry, angry young men project their *own "asshole-ishness" onto the figure of Jobs to justify their own anger and frustration. Far from being a bunch of doe-eyed fans praising his every move, what I see is a group of angry young men backhandedly justifying their own anger by projecting it onto Steve Jobs.

Kudos.
  • Reply 205 of 335
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If you think your carrier will allow tethering on a wifi handheld device for which there is already a 3G model, you've got another thing coming.

In my country I get to choose where, how, when and on how many devices i Wish to use it. And I get true unlimited, so it doesn't make difference for carriers.
  • Reply 206 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

In my country I get to choose where, how, when and on how many devices i Wish to use it. And I get true unlimited, so it doesn't make difference for carriers.

It does in the US.
  • Reply 207 of 335
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Are you challenged some way. Read my tagline.

Did I ever say I do not live in Finland? I work here, I am not FInnish, I am American. Are you really not getting this?

Solipsism explained this to you a while back and you still seem confused.

DAMN SAM i am f ing joking with you

i thought it was very nice to be in your tag line ,

saying i knew from your accent is a joke since i can;t really hear your accent on line ..now can i ??

anyway i like your posts so lets be buddie;s ok

peace
  • Reply 208 of 335
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

And where exactly would that be?
  • Reply 209 of 335
    Quote:

It does in the US.

US is not the whole world.
  • Reply 210 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And where exactly would that be?

Lithuania.
  • Reply 211 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

US is not the whole world.

Your point being?
  • Reply 212 of 335
    Let's throw it back to Apple, if that makes some of you happy. If Apple has a (more expensive) 3G model, why allow tethering on the less-expensive wifi model? It's not evil, it's business. I wish it were different, as a consumer, but Apple *knows* the iPad will be huge and that demand will be high. I'd do the same thing in Apple's unibody shoes.
  • Reply 213 of 335
    Quote:

Too bad this is happening to you but as I stated a few pages back, I do this whenever I come to the US. I use my Nokia on a prepaid AT&T card, and connect my MBP or my iPhone to it. AT&T has zero point zero clue as to what is going on.

Here in Finland, the operators actually have lives and try to encourage data usage. Before you offer up the lame-o argument that Finland is not as large as the US, I also pointed out proportionality there is no difference. Well one. Here in Finland the operators planned for and built out for grow rather than just pocketing all the money and then blaming the subscribers.

In short, US networks and the guys running them suck. My son is a manager at Verizon and he says Verizon is run by satan himself with AT&T being not much better.
  • Reply 214 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your point being?

Tethering should be option where it's legaly allowed. And here, in Europe" it's pretty much allowed.
  • Reply 215 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Too bad this is happening to you but as I stated a few pages back, I do this whenever I come to the US. I use my Nokia on a prepaid AT&T card, and connect my MBP or my iPhone to it. AT&T has zero point zero clue as to what is going on.

Here in Finland, the operators actually have lives and try to encourage data usage. Before you offer up the lame-o argument that Finland is not as large as the US, I also pointed out proportionality there is no difference. Well one. Here in Finland the operators planned for and built out for grow rather than just pocketing all the money and then blaming the subscribers.

In short, US networks and the guys running them suck. My son is a manager at Verizon and he says Verizon is run by satan himself with AT&T being not much better.

It's actually better in Canada, but Rogers has certain limits as well, but I find them quite a bit more flexible than what I'm seeing from US carriers. Besides, carrier competition in Canada is heating up.
  • Reply 216 of 335
    Quote:

It's actually better in Canada, but Rogers has certain limits as well, but I find them quite a bit more flexible than what I'm seeing from US carriers. Besides, carrier competition in Canada is heating up.

This is a good thing. You guys need competition and a different business model. Here it is usage based, i.e. make a call you pay for it. It is free to receive calls, and subscriptions (when there are any) are very flexible. Here you can get an iPhone on a one year contract, and unlocked at the end of the contract or you can get an iPhone, pay out the contract, have it unlocked BUT you will still have to "retain" the original SIM card for one year. Many people do this. They buy the phone outright. Unlock it, turn off all services on the contract SIM to where it is about ?1 a month, then they go and find better deals from other operators and put these SIMs in the phone.

@Povilas,

I agree with you. Europe has much more liberal and smart policy regarding phone usage.
  • Reply 217 of 335
    Quote:

Tethering should be option where it's legaly allowed. And here, in Europe" it's pretty much allowed.

To wit, Lithuania is not "Europe."
  • Reply 218 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmmm..... http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Lituania
  • Reply 219 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really?
  • Reply 220 of 335
    Quote:

Really?

Let's not have an unnecessary Sunday morning linguistics battle, okay?

He did not say "To wit, Lithuania is not in 'Europe.'" As, the U.S. is but one country that cannot speak for other country policies, so it is for Lithuania vis a vis other European countries. (at least, I think that's what he meant)