Apple's iPhone market share three times greater than Android in US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 265
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

So am I conclude that iPhone users are older, smarter and richer?

That seems to be borne out by the stats.

I've seen some commentary that ATT's new pricing plan is intended to attract parents to get iPhones for their kids in increased numbers. The older skew indicates that there is an untapped market for younger iPhone users.
  • Reply 22 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So despite the new data from polls, stats, graphs, and trends the only thing you took from the entire article was that iPhone was still bigger? WTF, indeed!

I was commenting on the headline. I guess I should have said so.
  • Reply 23 of 265
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Nobody in their right minds would claim that Apple has dominance in the smart phone market.

They are at best number three, trailing way behind Nokia and RIM.

Nobody in their right mind would claim that profits have no barring on dominance in a market.
    It sure looks like they are dominate to me.
  • Reply 24 of 265
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,989member
    The road to mobile dominance is littered with "iKiller" flavors of the week. On the other hand, building on the creative work of Apple then giving it away (essentially) worked for Windows. Only time will tell how this all plays out. So far, it looks like Apple will always be A leader, if not THE leader, in terms of numbers. Apple will continue to lead in innovation.
  • Reply 25 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Looking at the whole of sales worldwide, Android is outgrowing iPhone by almost an order of magnitude.

Of course. Look at iPhone's growth out of the gate. It's easy to post huge growth numbers when starting from zero. That huge growth number will return to more normal ranges as things average out a year from now.
  • Reply 26 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

but they couldn't figure out how to take a photo. Saddest thing ever.

Very sad. It is good that such folk have the iPhone to use.

But your friend with the Droid needs to download a few different camera programs and pick one that he likes better. If he were to Google "Android Camera App" he will have plenty of recommended choices available to him.
  • Reply 27 of 265
    Quote:

Very sad. It is good that such folk have the iPhone to use.

And they call Apple fans elitists?
  • Reply 28 of 265
    Quote:

Limiting the stats to just US sales appears to show iPhone growth on par with Android for the period covered. Limiting the stats to Cuperinto's zip code shows looks even better for iPhone.

Which is it? You've consumed too much lead paint as a kid or you are trolling? The growth rate of a single product when excluding it from the entire market is irrelvant with the entire market.

I wasn't aware that Nielsen was monitoring the entire world and that AI has chosen to just use the US stats to make the iPhone look better.

How about some accurate market growth.
    Android

07% — Q4-09

09% — Q1-10

02% — Market Share Growth

iPhone

26% — Q4-09

28% — Q1-10

02% — Market Share Growth
    My 12yo can understand this, why can't you?
  • Reply 29 of 265
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Am I imagining things or this place crawling with Debbie Downers lately? Between the trolls, pessimists, and armchair CEOs is there anybody left here to enjoy Apple's products and success? I guess not.
  • Reply 30 of 265
    Quote:

Nobody in their right mind would claim that profits have no barring on dominance in a market.
    It sure looks like they are dominate to me.

Sure. Depends on how you pick meanings for the words used.

In some respects they are "dominant". In the respect currently under discussion, they are not.

The topic under discussion is market share and the implications for antitrust. The topic you bring up is profits.

Yes, the word that applies to profits. No, it does not apply to market share.
  • Reply 31 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

So far, it looks like Apple will always be A leader, if not THE leader, in terms of numbers. Apple will continue to lead in innovation.

What the heck do you care if the word "leader" applies to Apple or not? You want to twist the word so it will continue to apply, in some manner?

Hey - Apple is likely to continue to be a very successful company. Whether or how they are or are not a "leader" is unimportant.
  • Reply 32 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

So am I conclude that iPhone users are older, smarter and richer?

The latter is traditionally true of Apple customers, since their products, peripherals, and services tend to cost more than alternatives.

Just as Mercedez-Benz has 100% of the Mercedez-Benz market, Apple has some 92% of the market for PCs that cost more than $1000. But not everyone drives a Mercedez, and only 5.4% of the world uses Mac OS.

The "boutique" strategy Apple has pursued with their highest-in-the-industry margins has been great for shareholders, but often challenging for developers and in turn for customers. How many people do you know who had to buy a PC because some app they needed wasn't available for Mac OS?

Today Apple holds a lead with phone apps, but between their limited carriers, offering a single phone model, and the one-two punch to developers of SDK 4.0 and the growing number of arbitary AppStore purgings, we can safely expect that to level off within a year, ceding the majority of development investment to Android.
  • Reply 33 of 265
    Quote:

Of course. Look at iPhone's growth out of the gate. It's easy to post huge growth numbers when starting from zero. That huge growth number will return to more normal ranges as things average out a year from now.

They did not start out at zero during the time periods under comparison. I'm not sure what you are saying.
  • Reply 34 of 265
    Quote:

And they call Apple fans elitists?

Who calls them that?
  • Reply 35 of 265
    Quote:

In some respects they are "dominant". In the respect currently under discussion, they are not.

Yes, but you made a blanket statement that Apple has zero dominance in the smartphone market. You also ignored their dominance over other smartphone companies in marketshare and unit sales.

If you were only looking at one aspect of one metric then you should have stated so instead of simply using the word "dominate" and "smartphone market" to ONLY indicate unit marketshare. RiM, Nokia, Apple, Android, and surely others are all dominate share of the market in some way.
  • Reply 36 of 265
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    95% of apps submitted to Apple are approved within 7 days.

You always attempt to paint this picture of developers in mass leaving the iPhone for Android, when their is absolutely no credible evidence to show any motivation for them to do this.

Quote:

Today Apple holds a lead with phone apps, but between their limited carriers, offering a single phone model, and the one-two punch to developers of SDK 4.0 and the growing number of arbitary AppStore purgings, we can safely expect that to level off within a year, ceding the majority of development investment to Android.

• Reply 37 of 265
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Wasn't Android supposed to leave iPhone in the dust?

As a matter of fact it does on practically every front now. Apple's beginning to slip on mind share as well. The only thing remaining now is market share. And from the momentum, IMO, it's a matter of time unless Steve announces tomorrow that Verizon is going to start selling on Verizon. Apple will no doubt have a block buster quarter with the new phone. The interesting thing will be to see who wins in the last quarter.
  • Reply 38 of 265
    Quote:

How about some accurate market growth.
    Android

07% ? Q4-09

09% ? Q1-10

02% ? Market Share Growth

iPhone

26% ? Q4-09

28% ? Q1-10

02% ? Market Share Growth
    My 12yo can understand this, why can't you?

Likely it is because your 12 year old is not capable of more sophisticated analysis.

It would be unremarkable, for example, if a product went from 76 to 78 percent of a market. But if a new product goes from, say 8, percent to 10 percent, it shows something much more significant.

If you stop your analysis at "they are both 2%", without thinking any further, then you miss much.
  • Reply 39 of 265
    Quote:

What the heck do you care if the word "leader" applies to Apple or not? You want to twist the word so it will continue to apply, in some manner?

Hey - Apple is likely to continue to be a very successful company. Whether or how they are or are not a "leader" is unimportant.

Thanks, in the future I'll check with you before deciding what I should care about.

Aren't you being argumentative for argument's sake?

As an Apple enthusiast, their being a leader in their field is important. To me, anyway.
  • Reply 40 of 265
    Quote:

They did not start out at zero during the time periods under comparison. I'm not sure what you are saying.

I'm saying that if you were to look at an analogous period in iPhone's growth curve, it would be similar to Android's. I was not clear.