iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

Comments

• Reply 181 of 338
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo316 View Post

iAdmit that "i" might have stood for "iNternet" - but that would mean iNternetWork and iNternet Life...

I think it is closer to "me, myself and I - my,my, my - my oh my"

I love Apple products. Probably it is just a case of "iPhobia".

AIR, the "I" stands for interactive.

• Reply 182 of 338
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

1. Since Apple can't override the laws of physics, I don't know what else they could do.

They could put the antenna in an optimal location.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now, if the software fix solves problem #2, then there's no issue.

None except users not being able to hold the phone in their hand like any other phone they have ever used. Seemingly, no phone has ever designed the antenna like the iPhone 4 - for good reasons.
  • Reply 183 of 338
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

How is that thin plastic bumper that only covers the strongest part of the iPhone 4 (the metal), going to protect it in a fall ?

Well, the glass itself is very strong (30x stronger than plastic, used for cockpit canopies, etc) and can handle the acceleration/deceleration of impact. My only concern (without the bumper) is that the edges of the glass (or metal) at the point of impact might scratch or chip. The rubber bumper is sufficient to prevent that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

And why should anyone buy an accessory just so your phone works properly ?

Well, as a statement of principle, they shouldn't have to.

I merely asked if one person (Ireland) was against getting that accessory for the purpose it was made for, and the bonus of addressing their only complaint.

Thompson
  • Reply 184 of 338
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How convenient. I wonder it that's because it covers up a flaw on the iPhone's design. Don't answer.

I really like the fact that when I position my iPhone at the top of my pocket and let go, it slides down to the bottom. That is a major plus for the sleek, thin, smooth design.

I would never want a sticky rubber case that attracts lint and requires that I manually position the phone in my pocket.

That negates one of the best industrial design aspects of the product: how it fits in your hand and pocket.
  • Reply 185 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

My Griffin car charger stopped working as well. I thought it was clicking into place securely though as the iPhone 4 would chime that it was connected. It just wouldn't charge after that. I'll have to check it again though. Hopefully it is just the connector head and not something with the plug hardware.

I wasn't even getting the chime, because the connection was not solid. Are you using a bumper?

By the way, jus for kicks, I replaced the black wire that came with the Griffin charger with a standard white Apple USB/Dock cable, and everything is working just fine for me. As far as I can tell, the thickness of the Griffin cable and the narrowness of the bumper slot are causing all of the issues.

Thompson
  • Reply 186 of 338
    Quote:

How convenient. I wonder it that's because it covers up a flaw on the iPhone's design. Don't answer.

I bought a bumper, and loved it, even before I heard about this antenna issue.

This bumper is very lightweight, unobtrusive, and fits the aesthetic of the phone very well.

HIghly recommended to all.

Thompson
  • Reply 187 of 338
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It seems to me that the majority of angry responses on this thread are exactly this. People getting upset about things they heard, from people they don't know, about issues they haven't actually experienced.

That just about sums up a lot of what transpires on AI forums!
  • Reply 188 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I really like the fact that when I position my iPhone at the top of my pocket and let go, it slides down to the bottom. That is a major plus for the sleek, thin, smooth design.

I would never want a sticky rubber case that attracts lint and requires that I manually position the phone in my pocket.

That negates one of the best industrial design aspects of the product: how it fits in your hand and pocket.

The bumper is not sticky and is very slight in form. Your phone will still slide into whatever orifice you want.

Thompson
  • Reply 189 of 338
    Quote:

Yeah, the CEO of Apple saying that it just like any ol' guy you've never met saying that. Your arguments are weaker than kittens.

And, your similes are stretchier than pantyhose.
  • Reply 190 of 338
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Uhm,someone correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I believe the 'i' originally stood for 'internet', not 'I', except in the one case where it stood for 'interim'. Now, it pretty much just stands for 'i' alone, as a branding thing, not some egomaniacal prefix.

We are very satisfied with. Our usPhone 4s.

• Reply 191 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

This thread has been hijacked from fit and finish into an extension of several others on this forum. Can't we just stay on subject. With at least three other threads raging over the antenna situation, and hundreds of posts, there is little to add to that issue. Please move that discussion back to where it belongs.

The copy at the beginning of this thread was a bit over the top, but at the same time, I have taken my 4G out of its silicone case several times to just study and marvel at the precision of it's design and manufacturing. Products exhibiting the level of precision readily apparent to those that have actually handled the 4G typically are produced by craftsmen in low volume and at high cost (to build as well as retail) such as Rolex, Leica, Hasselblad, Bowers & Wilkins, etc.

The fact that Apple and Foxconn have been able to hold the line at such a high level of fit and finish and at a reasonable price point, speaks volumes of the engineering and tooling that have been invested in the 4G production line.

Thanks for your attempt to bring this back to topic and some semblance of sanity.

You will, of course, be thoroughly ignored. Moving along.....
  • Reply 192 of 338
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

That's true but now you're dealing with both sides being glass and there have been more than a few instances of cracks from drops already. I've gone naked in the past but I may have to pick one up this time around.

The bumper is a PITA because it doesn't fit in the dock which means you may have to take it off. Another problem is how long these bumpers will last since they're made of rubber. The only case I've ever liked was the Incase Protective Cover that was rubber. The problem was that over time the rubber case became loose.
  • Reply 193 of 338
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Mine's working flawlessly also. No complaints.

Congratulations. According to this poll you're one of 45% of iPhone 4 owners without the issue. Not that that doesn't mean your phone doesn't have the issue, it may very well may that it doesn't have the issue with your hand touching it. But with someone else's hand it might.

I'm not sure what putting my money where my mouth is has anything to do with this. In fact, I have said I'm not buying an iPhone 4 until I know more, so I am putting my money where my mouth is.
  • Reply 194 of 338
    Quote:

Get ready to be wrongly labelled to a troll.

I don't mean to butt in, but I'd like to say I wouldn't label you as a troll. But I have no problem describing you generally as a dick.
  • Reply 195 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WayWard View Post

Read two paragraphs and gave up in embarrassment for DED. Are you sure this isn't a spoof Ã* la The Office?

Same. Every time I see an article by this guy, I try to read it and quit two paragraphs in. I cannot stand the writing style, nor the ass-kissing. It's articles such as this that give bloggers their non-journalist stamp.
  • Reply 196 of 338
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    Please, can we stop the personal barbs and stick to the subject.
  • Reply 197 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerPlanck View Post

I don't mean to butt in, but I'd like to say I wouldn't label you as a troll. But I have no problem describing you generally as a dick.

Something happened to poor Ireland about a year or so ago, and he quit coming around. The moniker is back; the sarcastic and witty person remains away. Ireland has been replaced by a mad man.
  • Reply 198 of 338
    Quote:

Good point. Any you shouldn't need a case to get the phone (those who do have the issue) to work correctly.
  • Reply 199 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I bought a bumper, and loved it, even before I heard about this antenna issue.

This bumper is very lightweight, unobtrusive, and fits the aesthetic of the phone very well.

HIghly recommended to all.

Thompson

Even Steve recommends them. Or, just don't hold it in that way.
  • Reply 200 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I wasn't even getting the chime, because the connection was not solid. Are you using a bumper?

By the way, jus for kicks, I replaced the black wire that came with the Griffin charger with a standard white Apple USB/Dock cable, and everything is working just fine for me. As far as I can tell, the thickness of the Griffin cable and the narrowness of the bumper slot are causing all of the issues.

Thompson

I am using the Bumper, and you're right; the black Griffin USB/Dock cable is much thicker than Apple's white one. I hadn't really noticed before. I was getting the chime, but the cable wasn't locking in securely. Switching the cables out solved the problem.

THX