Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A California law firm has asked iPhone 4 customers to share their experiences with reception on Apple's new handset, laying the groundwork for a potential class-action lawsuit.

Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff LLP posted word of a new "consumer investigation" on its website this week. The firm has asked iPhone 4 owners with reception issues to speak with them.

"KCR is currently investigating potential problems with the release of iPhone 4," the law firm, dubbed "injury attorneys on their website, wrote. "If you recently purchased the new iPhone and have experienced poor reception quality, dropped calls and weak signals, we would like to hear from you. Please call us toll free at (888) 285-3333, click "live chat" above to immediately speak with a KCR representative, or email us for more details."

The same law firm also filed a suit last November against Facebook for what it has argued are misleading advertisements found in games like Mafia Wars and FarmVille from Zynga. That federal class-action suit was filed in a district court in Northern California, and alleges that some ads found in the online games trick customers into signing up for recurring text messages with monthly fees, or mail-order products tied to a subscription.

Reports that Apple's latest handset can lose reception when gripped wit the left hand began to gain traction last week. On some devices, covering or even just touching the point on the metal perimeter antennas meet on the bottom left corner of the phone can cause loss of signal and even dropped calls.

When Apple announced the iPhone 4 earlier this month, the company revealed that the metal band around the outside of the device has breaks in it to allow the multiple antennas inside the device -- for cellular service, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and more -- to establish connections. The larger metal piece on the right side of the phone serves as the GSM/UMTS cellular antenna, and the smaller portion on the left side is responsible for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS.

Apple publicly responded to reports and said that any mobile phone has reception issues when held improperly. The company suggested that customers avoid gripping the handset in the lower left corner, or use "one of many available cases" to prevent one's skin from touching the metal band.

This week, rival handset maker Nokia even attempted to poke fun at the publicity over iPhone 4 reception, asking customers to share how they hold their Nokia. But evidence of Nokia's own reception issues when some handsets are held has also surfaced, demonstrating the issue lies in many phones beyond the iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 318
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Maybe we should give them a rev to fix the issues before suing them. Yes, having a few issues, but still the best phone I have ever used overall.

I wonder what new invention out there won't make it to market because the inventor is scared of getting sued back into the stone age.
  • Reply 2 of 318
    Yep have to love it, technology ambulance chasers.....
  • Reply 3 of 318
    womble2k2womble2k2 Posts: 118member
    As many people have pointed out, this affects all phones, and even further, radio devices.

So are they doing a class action against every manufacturer of radio equipment which doesn't get 100% reception everywhere and under every circulstance?

Phil
  • Reply 4 of 318
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

As many people have pointed out, this affects all phones, and even further, radio devices.

So are they doing a class action against every manufacturer of radio equipment which doesn't get 100% reception everywhere and under every circulstance?

Phil

Nope, they're just going to sue Apple because being anti-Apple is the new fad. But then again, I wouldn't trust them to hit the broad side of a barn with a bulldozer, what with them suing Facebook for Zynga's ads.
  • Reply 5 of 318
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Phil

While I think the lawsuit is ridiculous, there IS a problem for quite a few people. Holding my iPhone 4 normally in my left hand results in 1 bar or "No Service" within 30 seconds and I can't make calls or connect to the internet. I don't even have to do a tight "death grip" on it, I just merely need to place it slightly cupped in my hand.

If I do this with my wife's 3GS, I might see one bar drop, but I can still make calls and the download/upload 3G speeds are barely affected.

Now, those are just my results. Other people have mentioned similar findings -- so instead of everyone blindly defending Apple, can some of you at least acknowledge that something is going on that is not the fault of the customer?
  • Reply 6 of 318
    Looks like the leeches are out to make a fast buck. In the end the lawyers get millions, and the members of the class action each get a $10 coupon.
  • Reply 7 of 318
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

While I think the lawsuit is ridiculous, there IS a problem for quite a few people. Holding my iPhone 4 normally in my left hand results in 1 bar or "No Service" within 30 seconds and I can't make calls or connect to the internet. I don't even have to do a tight "death grip" on it, I just merely need to place it slightly cupped in my hand.

If I do this with my wife's 3GS, I might see one bar drop, but I can still make calls and the download/upload 3G speeds are barely affected.

Now, those are just my results. Other people have mentioned similar findings -- so instead of everyone blindly defending Apple, can some of you at least acknowledge that something is going on that is not the fault of the customer?

Take a moment and read the first comment, it does just that.
  • Reply 8 of 318
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Phil

Name one phone that can have its communications disabled with a single finger touch to the external case? Other than the iPhone 4 that is!
  • Reply 9 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Maybe we should give them a rev to fix the issues before suing them. Yes, having a few issues, but still the best phone I have ever used overall.

I wonder what new invention out there won't make it to market because the inventor is scared of getting sued back into the stone age.

The only thing is Iphone 4 is not a new invention and a reception issue has always been its flaw. If the reception is worse than in the 3Gs that going backwards not forward...

Also I would say this lawsuit would be ridiculous if not for Jobs comment on the issues and the fact they selling an accessory to correct the issue making a profit off something they had to know about beforehand.
  • Reply 10 of 318
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Take a moment and read the first comment, it does just that.

Then look at the next three comments
  • Reply 11 of 318
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Sam Oliver is one of the better writers here, but I hate to break it to you Sam but the issue with the iPhone 4 isn't signal attenuation, but rather a 'shorting' of the two antennae, as it's called. The other issue you refer to is common in phones, but this issue is different.

But the when Ireland points out this round here he's labeled a troll. I'm glad Arn over at Macrumors sticks up for me, no such luck from the mods round here.
  • Reply 12 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Only someone who hates Apple would say this. I see you've joined that fad. You used to be cool, but now you're just a hater. We want the old 'Mazda3' back.

This is the type of reply I expect you to get. What is it with people living in denial round here. It definitely puts a spot-light on the fruit loops.
  • Reply 13 of 318
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I usually just sigh when I hear about a lawsuit against Apple, but in this case there is actually a grounding for the case.

I've checked 3 different iPhone 4's from friends, I know the US has a shit network (AT&T) but O2 and Orange both have excellent reception where I am, all 3 phones went from 5 bars to 1/no bars when the phone was cupped in th left hand.

This is a BIG issue, Apple has dropped the ball on this one, if it's simply a software fix thats needed and I hope it is, then great if not Apple deserves to get sued and need to pay out.
  • Reply 14 of 318
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    An informative article explaining the differences between attenuation and detuning. The issue with the iPhone 4 is detuning due to the flawed design of holding it and shorting out two antennas. A first for a cell phone.

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...like-this.html
  • Reply 14 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Name one phone that can have its communications disabled with a single finger touch to the external case? Other than the iPhone 4 that is!

You just said something negative against Apple so it must be false. lol
  • Reply 16 of 318
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I usually just sigh when I hear about a lawsuit against Apple, but in this case there is actually a grounding for the case.

I've checked 3 different iPhone 4's from friends, I know the US has a shit network (AT&T) but O2 and Orange both have excellent reception where I am, all 3 phones went from 5 bars to 1/no bars when the phone was cupped in th left hand.

This is a BIG issue, Apple has dropped the ball on this one, if it's simply a software fix thats needed and I hope it is, then great if not Apple deserves to get sued and need to pay out.

While the Class Action lawsuits in the US are really just ambulance chasing, one can only hope that the EU will get involved and take a really large bite out of Apple over this fiasco!

It is up to you Apple, admit it and fix it or get the hammer!
  • Reply 17 of 318
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    The level of denial here is amazing. How much would Apple have to screw up before you all stop defending them?

For two years I have had terrible audio quality and dropped calls on my 3G. Yet the iPhone flies off the shelves and the community here makes excuse after excuse for Apple and ATT. "We don't need to make phone calls. We don't need Verizon."

Now that everyone is dropping calls (granted for different reasons) all of a sudden this is so unacceptable we're going to get lawyers. Yeah, it IS maddening when you keep dropping calls, isn't it?

I'm glad the Kool Aid has finally worn off for others as it did for me when I was stranded on the side of the road with no signal on my shiny pretty iPhone.

I have asked it before and will continue to ask: What good is a smartphone that can't make phone calls?
  • Reply 18 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rattlertech View Post

The only thing is Iphone 4 is not a new invention and a reception issue has always been its flaw. If the reception is worse than in the 3Gs that going backwards not forward...

Also I would say this lawsuit would be ridiculous if not for Jobs comment on the issues and the fact they selling an accessory to correct the issue making a profit off something they had to know about beforehand.

Yeah, Jobs' response pretty much dictated the cases these guys have with their case. Apple may have walked into it.
  • Reply 19 of 318
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    Pardon me for being dumb, but couldn't Apple just give out a new iphone 4 to people with defective iphone 4's?

If so, what is the lawsuit about?

Pain and suffering?

• Reply 20 of 318
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The level of denial here is amazing. How much would Apple have to screw up before you all stop defending them?

For two years I have had terrible audio quality and dropped calls on my 3G. Yet the iPhone flies off the shelves and the community here makes excuse after excuse for Apple and ATT. "We don't need to make phone calls. We don't need Verizon."

Now that everyone is dropping calls (granted for different reasons) all of a sudden this is so unacceptable we're going to get lawyers. Yeah, it IS maddening when you keep dropping calls, isn't it?

I'm glad the Kool Aid has finally worn off for others as it did for me when I was stranded on the side of the road with no signal on my shiny pretty iPhone.

I have asked it before and will continue to ask: What good is a smartphone that can't make phone calls?

To be fair, your issue sounds like you live in a bad coverage area. And not simple because you touch the phone in the wrong spot or hold the phone.