Apple deletes discussion threads about Consumer Reports and iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Consumer Reports did not say "don't buy the iphone". What they did say is "At this point we cannot recommend that consumers buy the iphone". there is a big difference between not recommending and saying don't buy. I have had the iphone since day one and have not had any issues. Even on a bad day, the iphone works better than most phones (imoa).
  • Reply 22 of 171
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Apple has every right to delete threads pointing to the obviously biased consumer reports article. The article cites results from tests that in no way mimic real life situations. No one who actually owns an iPhone experiences these symptoms. Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or an android plant.

and you are smoking serious rock if you believe that the iPhone4 does NOT have reception problems...
  • Reply 23 of 171
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

The initial report was a preliminary report and had not underwent any extensive testing.

Good engineering practice is to give the scope of your review. If you like the display, comment on that. If you like the battery life, comment on that. Take measurements.

But CR went several steps too far; they said that all phones drop bars when the phone is held, and that the iPhone 4 behaved similarily. This was obviously NOT THE TRUTH - that is a lie, or a very gross assumption.

Face it, CR grabbed a hypothesis from a dark and unsanitary place and plastered that hypothesis as fact - now they are eating that hypothesis and their credability as a legimate reviewing magazine is understandably being called into question.

This 180 degree (Oh Crap!!) change in review is pretty much inexcuseable for a magazine that is sold as an unbiased, honest, ad-free, engineering based assessment of all consumer goods. They went from a thumbs-up to a thumbs-down in a matter of weeks.

Heads are probably already rolling out the door.
  • Reply 24 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

This is turning into a PR nightmare. If Apple wouldn't have jumped into the stupidity of denial mode to begin with, this would not be a big deal. If they would have simply said "we'll look into the reports" instead of making all the stupid remarks they've made, and offer free bumpers to any iPhone 4 owner who wants one, there would be no PR problem. Way to screw up the biggest product launch in their history.

The reality is, there is a problem, but it's also easily fixed. Apple just needs to pull their heads out of the sand and get to it already. The external side of the antennas need a non-conductive coating applied. That's it! Dang it, get it done already! Sheesh.

I TOTALLY agree with you Dave. Job's ego is is outta control! FIX THE DAMN PHONE!!
  • Reply 25 of 171
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    LOL.

So much for openness.
  • Reply 26 of 171
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    iPhone competitors better learn to innovate if they want to compete. Dirty politics is not gonna cut it.

The iPhone will continue to outsell the competition by far because it is the best!

Time will tell.
  • Reply 27 of 171
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    What a bunch of pussies
  • Reply 28 of 171
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n2macs View Post

Consumer Reports did not say "don't buy the iphone". What they did say is "At this point we cannot recommend that consumers buy the iphone". there is a big difference between not recommending and saying don't buy. I have had the iphone since day one and have not had any issues. Even on a bad day, the iphone works better than most phones (imoa).

When I was in DC, I was unable to replicate the Grip of Death. The DC metro area has great coverage. But, here at home, if I dare to touch the phone - even hold it in my palm without the case - I cannot complete a 5 minute phone call without dropping the call, and then the dreaded "Searching".

So, as long as you stay in a coverage area with full bars; you are fine. But, go into a basement, tunnel or a more remote area and you too will discover the joys of dropped calls.

BTW, if you disable the 3G - you will get about 12 dB better cell reception; based on experiments I did at my desk.
  • Reply 29 of 171
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

The initial report was a preliminary report and had not underwent any extensive testing. Are you seriously doubting the integrity of Consumer Reports or are you disagreeing with anything negative about Apple? If that is the case then you should also consider dismissing all of their reviews of Apple products in which they've always been rated best in class.

Exactly, CR does this all the time as new info comes in. Unlike a certain phone maker, it's called being responsible.
  • Reply 30 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Some very heavyweights are seriously influencing the "Consumer Reports" management.

Such a 180 degrees change of opinion is just ridiculous. Especially when the first opinion was clearly explained that all phones do this to various degrees. Moreover numerous YouTube videos show that the bar drops do not even degrade the voice quality of calls and Apple explained that it is a software issue that they plan to fix.

These heavyweights can push against Apple but it's not gonna work because most everyone has the iPhone and can judge for themselves. They've also had 30 days to return it and have chosen not to do so because it's an awesome mobile phone.

Consumer Report's flip flop only proves to me that they can be bought and their reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

The next iOS update will fix this issue and the world won't need consumer reports to filp flop again since they have been bought and paid for.

Time will tell.

Agreed. Time for an in depth look at CR and if they are / have ever been influenced, I never thought of that! I always just thought they were incompetent. I for one have found their reports to be way off mark many times.
  • Reply 31 of 171
    Your name should be appleKOOLAID if you are stupid enough to believe the update to iOS 4.01 is going to fix the antenna problem....
  • Reply 32 of 171
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:

Some very heavyweights are seriously influencing the "Consumer Reports" management.

Such a 180 degrees change of opinion is just ridiculous. Especially when the first opinion was clearly explained that all phones do this to various degrees. Moreover numerous YouTube videos show that the bar drops do not even degrade the voice quality of calls and Apple explained that it is a software issue that they plan to fix.

These heavyweights can push against Apple but it's not gonna work because most everyone has the iPhone and can judge for themselves. They've also had 30 days to return it and have chosen not to do so because it's an awesome mobile phone.

Consumer Report's flip flop only proves to me that they can be bought and their reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

The next iOS update will fix this issue and the world won't need consumer reports to filp flop again since they have been bought and paid for.

Time will tell.

There was no "180 degrees change of opinion" (despite AI repeated misrepresentation [lie?]), the initial story wasn't a scientific review but an individual and informal test, which was -btw- updated the day after, on July 3, then already mentioning the "death grip"/antenna isolation/signal strength/dropped call problems...

Quote:

Our findings are not definitive, by any means; they are informal tests by journalists rather than lab tests by Consumer Reports testing staff.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...reports-s.html
  • Reply 33 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

iPhone competitors better learn to innovate if they want to compete. Dirty politics is not gonna cut it.

The iPhone will continue to outsell the competition by far because it is the best!

Time will tell.

Agreed. However, sadly, 'swift boat politics' seems to work in the USA all too easily and all too often!
  • Reply 34 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Stupidity should be painful....

I have an iPhone 4 without these symptoms. Unfortunately for you, I know 4 other people with iPhone 4, and none---not a single one---have the death grip problem. I had a bad radio in my 3G when it came out, but luckily I was able to get a replacement. It seems this is either a bad run out of the factory, or another issue...but not a design flaw as you have incorrectly asserted. If it were, surely every phone would exhibit the symptoms.

Apple does not respond to these things until they know what the real problem is, and know exactly how to deliver a solid solution. Give it a little time, and I'm sure you'll be satisfied. The demand for this phone is unlike any other, but as it dies down, and Apple has some in stock, I'm sure they would gladly replace it for you.
  • Reply 35 of 171
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Are you kidding? I demonstrated it to both the Apple store guys and the ATT store guys before returning it for a refund. Denial anyone?

You just don't get it, according to the poo-poo comments here, this is all 'irrelevant'.
  • Reply 36 of 171
    merlinwmerlinw Posts: 35member
    WOW!!!

1984? Censorship? That is bad.

Apple needs to step up to the plate.

Not try to bury it.
  • Reply 37 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Apple has every right to delete threads pointing to the obviously biased consumer reports article. The article cites results from tests that in no way mimic real life situations. No one who actually owns an iPhone experiences these symptoms. Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or an android plant.

1- I agree...they are Apple's forums so they can delete posts as they see fit.

2- "The article cites results from tests that in no way mimic real life situations."

From Apple's letter concerning reception issues: We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same? the iPhone 4?s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped.

So now, I guess it's going to be a battle of the labs...since apparently neither tested in "real world" situations?

3- "No one who actually owns an iPhone experiences these symptoms. Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or an android plant."

I own an iPhone 4 bought on launch day in Sacramento, CA. I can easily reproduce it on every call by holding the phone in a normal way as I've done with my 3GS in the past. I'm not a troll although I could be accused of maybe looking like one...haha. And I've tried Android phones and haven't been impressed and would not recommend them, at least compared to my 3GS so I'm thinking I'm not a good spokesperson for Android...
  • Reply 38 of 171
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    As far as I'm concerned, no one has shown with any degree of certainty that the iPhone 4 exhibits any sort of reception problems that result in dropped calls or slow data. The fact is that the majority of iPhone owners are perfectly happy with their phones showing that there is no problem. Furthermore, we can't rule out the possibility that the problem is widespreadto any degree, judging from the number of people posting here alone and showing no problems.

The fact is that these claims are misguided, as even an apparent drop on bars doesn't effect call quality. The next update will address the bar problem.

The purported tests by CR show no real world application. Who the hell makes calls from an EM shielded room? They simply can't replicate the power of a real cell phone tower.

Until someone shows me that every phone has these problems and that they translate into real world problems such as dropped calls, I'm going to have to call BS.

I wonder how much the editors have been paid by google...
  • Reply 39 of 171
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

The initial report was a preliminary report and had not underwent any extensive testing. Are you seriously doubting the integrity of Consumer Reports or are you disagreeing with anything negative about Apple? If that is the case then you should also consider dismissing all of their reviews of Apple products in which they've always been rated best in class.

never mind quadra... he would still be humping the positive preliminary report if it wanst for this update.
  • Reply 40 of 171
    merlinwmerlinw Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Exactly, CR does this all the time as new info comes in. Unlike a certain phone maker, it's called being responsible.

Agreed, they heard about the complaints; Tested to see if they were valid.

They were.