Apple deletes discussion threads about Consumer Reports and iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 171
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

When I was in DC, I was unable to replicate the Grip of Death. The DC metro area has great coverage. But, here at home, if I dare to touch the phone - even hold it in my palm without the case - I cannot complete a 5 minute phone call without dropping the call, and then the dreaded "Searching".

So, as long as you stay in a coverage area with full bars; you are fine. But, go into a basement, tunnel or a more remote area and you too will discover the joys of dropped calls.

BTW, if you disable the 3G - you will get about 12 dB better cell reception; based on experiments I did at my desk.

Most cell phones will drop if you go into a basement, tunnel or a more remote area. That's the nature of cell phones.
  • Reply 42 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

iPhone competitors better learn to innovate if they want to compete. Dirty politics is not gonna cut it.

The iPhone will continue to outsell the competition by far because it is the best!

Time will tell.

They are far too busy joining blogs like this to make up stories to innovate.
  • Reply 43 of 171
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

iPhone competitors better learn to innovate if they want to compete.

Apple needs to innovate some antenna reception to compete with other phone makers.
  • Reply 44 of 171
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Such a 180 degrees change of opinion is just ridiculous. Especially when the first opinion was clearly explained that all phones do this to various degrees.

Yes, all cell phones exhibit signal attenuation to some degree depending on how they're held. The iPhone 4 exhibits it to an extreme, when held naturally.

Quote:

Moreover numerous YouTube videos show that the bar drops do not even degrade the voice quality of calls and Apple explained that it is a software issue that they plan to fix.

If the signal is strong enough, it won't be completely suppressed by the death grip.

Apple never claimed that fixing the "stunning" bars software issue will fix the signal attenuation problem of the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 45 of 171
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

The initial report was a preliminary report and had not underwent any extensive testing. Are you seriously doubting the integrity of Consumer Reports or are you disagreeing with anything negative about Apple? If that is the case then you should also consider dismissing all of their reviews of Apple products in which they've always been rated best in class.

I definitely DO question CRs integrity, and have for years. Don't forget, they were the hard core Toyota sycophants for years too. We all know how "Toyota Quality" has turned out in real life as opposed to CRs fantasy review land. They also were very critical of Macs for many years, writing patently false reviews riddled with factual errors. As well, they've been responsible for many false health and safety scares over the years.

Anyone who already knows anything about a product that CR reviews can tell you that they do not know what they are talking about, and never have. Consumers Reports is not a credible source of information about ANYTHING.
  • Reply 46 of 171
    Just posted this to another thread...

This confuses me???

Haven't read all the posts-- just a few of the first and a few of the last.

Forgive me if this has already been posted:

Consumer Reports: "By the Way, the iPhone 4 is Also the Best Smartphone on the Market"

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...on-the-market/

• Reply 47 of 171
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

But, your statement about returning the iPhone is deeply flawed. First off, there is a 10% re-stocking fee - then if I leave AT&T I get a $325 fee for breaking the contract. So, my out of pocket fee is ~$400; not including the $100 I paid AT&T and the $200 I paid for my defective iPhone (and yes, an antenna that shorts out when you touch the phone is a defective product).

No, there is no restocking fee. I paid nothing to return mine, and they refunded my protective cover charge and the Applecare charge (which they weren't obligated to do. ATT went out of their way to help me reverse the iP4 purchase. I'm back to my original 3Gs and original contract term, which ends in Sept. If they fix the hardware issue, I'll be back for the new version. My 3Gs is lame by comparison in every way but decreased signal strength when touching the dreaded "3G Spot" (sorry bout that ladies).
  • Reply 48 of 171
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I have an iPhone 4 without these symptoms. Unfortunately for you, I know 4 other people with iPhone 4, and none---not a single one---have the death grip problem. I had a bad radio in my 3G when it came out, but luckily I was able to get a replacement. It seems this is either a bad run out of the factory, or another issue...but not a design flaw as you have incorrectly asserted. If it were, surely every phone would exhibit the symptoms.

Apple does not respond to these things until they know what the real problem is, and know exactly how to deliver a solid solution. Give it a little time, and I'm sure you'll be satisfied. The demand for this phone is unlike any other, but as it dies down, and Apple has some in stock, I'm sure they would gladly replace it for you.

Wow, please, pretty please read up on this issue then comment. No one says it happens all the time. What they do say is it happens when in a week signal area. Apple says you may not know that you are in a weak signal area because of software that determines how many bars are displayed. Then the real question is does the death grip lower the reception more than other phones, the ones with complaints say yes, and that's the flaw.
  • Reply 49 of 171
    Quote:

Some very heavyweights are seriously influencing the "Consumer Reports" management.

Such a 180 degrees change of opinion is just ridiculous. Especially when the first opinion was clearly explained that all phones do this to various degrees. Moreover numerous YouTube videos show that the bar drops do not even degrade the voice quality of calls and Apple explained that it is a software issue that they plan to fix.

These heavyweights can push against Apple but it's not gonna work because most everyone has the iPhone and can judge for themselves. They've also had 30 days to return it and have chosen not to do so because it's an awesome mobile phone.

Consumer Report's flip flop only proves to me that they can be bought and their reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

The next iOS update will fix this issue and the world won't need consumer reports to filp flop again since they have been bought and paid for.

Time will tell.

So, if I follow the logic on this, and Consumer Reports can be "bought", that means Apple paid them for the initial positive review. Then Google stepped in and paid them to change it to be negative? Just want to make sure I'm getting this right...

If the class action reception lawsuit moves forward, I would subpoena both Apple (We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same? the iPhone 4?s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped.) and Consumer Reports to see the data collected and how it was done.
  • Reply 50 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple needs to innovate some antenna reception to compete with other phone makers.

I beseech you, please go away. Your relentlessly (and pointlessly) negative comments are burying the issue for those who are attempting to post legitimate comments about the problem of signal/bar drops.

You are a pathetic example of Gresham's Law at work. (Look it up).
  • Reply 51 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I definitely DO question CRs integrity, and have for years. Don't forget, they were the hard core Toyota sycophants for years too. We all know how "Toyota Quality" has turned out in real life as opposed to CRs fantasy review land. They also were very critical of Macs for many years, writing patently false reviews riddled with factual errors. As well, they've been responsible for many false health and safety scares over the years.

Anyone who already knows anything about a product that CR reviews can tell you that they do not know what they are talking about, and never have. Consumers Reports is not a credible source of information about ANYTHING.

Yea right toyota just made cheap junk all these years. Sorry, not good enough. Data, need data. While I do think CR is too critical and narrow on issues and on what's good or bad, that's far different from fraud. In general they hit the mark. Their more recent reviews of Toyota have not put them on top. I suppose their recent no approval of the Lexus suv was fraud also? Which btw forced Lexus to recall and change their software. Pssst, why is that thing with foil on his hat staring at you?
  • Reply 52 of 171
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Man what color is the sky in your world dude? CR is the ONLY source in the world today for dispassionate, fact based analysis of consumer products. They do not succumb to pressure and do not accept advertising. One possible reason Apple could have deleted the threads is that CR almost never let's people reprint their reviews or even reference them. They sue and win. Their tests are performed carefully and their ratings combine test results for surveys provided by subscribers. Are they perfect? Of course, not nothing is. If changing your mind because you did more testing, gathered new information and found a difference is called flip-flopping then so be it. Do some research on them and you'll see. Even better why don't you go get a job there and do an undercover investigation? Until you do that your assertions have no validity.
  • Reply 53 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

So, if I follow the logic on this, and Consumer Reports can be "bought", that means Apple paid them for the initial positive review. Then Google stepped in and paid them to change it to be negative? Just want to make sure I'm getting this right...

If the class action reception lawsuit moves forward, I would subpoena both Apple (We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same? the iPhone 4?s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped.) and Consumer Reports to see the data collected and how it was done.

No... Don't you know, It was the guys with the tin foil hats. Man, is it a full moon or what tonight?
  • Reply 54 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

As far as I'm concerned, no one has shown with any degree of certainty that the iPhone 4 exhibits any sort of reception problems that result in dropped calls or slow data.

OK, I'll try to be nice here, and not call you any bad names. But are you serious? I can hold my iPhone 4 (the 2nd one I received from Apple?they agreed to swap out the first one) in the palm of my left hand and after ~10 secs. the Speed Test app drops the 3G connection from ~2 MBps download speed to "unable to connect to server." And in several conversations I've had testing this condition my voice calls drop dead. Gone. As in: "No Service." And this happens in almost every location I've been to since I got my original iPhone on June 23. Yes, I've even demonstrated it to the clerks inside my local AT&T store. The only place it hasn't happened is when I stood 20 yards from an AT&T cell tower about ten miles from my house.

Your opinion that "no one" has shown any sort of reception problem flies in the face of absolute, empirical, repeatable facts. And as Aldous Huxley said: "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

It difficult for me to believe that anyone can still be spouting the line that this is all some fantasy from a bunch of Apple haters. I've owned and used Apple products since I bought the original 128K Mac back in February of '84. I use them for my work. I've encouraged my friends and relatives to buy them. But Apple has dropped a turd in the punchbowl here. And reading what you wrote just makes me apoplectic. You owe it to yourself to open your eyes. Those of us who have gone to the trouble to test this vigorously aren't persuaded by your profound ignorance.
  • Reply 55 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Yes, all cell phones exhibit signal attenuation to some degree depending on how they're held. The iPhone 4 exhibits it to an extreme, when held naturally.

If the signal is strong enough, it won't be completely suppressed by the death grip.

Apple never claimed that fixing the "stunning" bars software issue will fix the signal attenuation problem of the iPhone 4.

Sanity! Thank you
  • Reply 56 of 171
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just posted this to another thread...

This confuses me???

Haven't read all the posts-- just a few of the first and a few of the last.

Forgive me if this has already been posted:

Consumer Reports: "By the Way, the iPhone 4 is Also the Best Smartphone on the Market"

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...on-the-market/

That's hilarious. Great link.
  • Reply 57 of 171
    I tried to warn people NOT to upgrade to iOS4 on a iPhone 3G as it wiped my phone and my wife's phone and pretty much rendered them useless. They DELETED my posts. Idiots.

Typical modern day way of dealing with problems. IGNORE them and hope they go away.

Message to Apple and Steve Jobs: WE WILL NEVER FORGET IOS4, AKA: YOUR "VISTA". The mere fact that you are DENYING and IGNORING this disaster is cause for great alarm. You are no longer trustworthy.
  • Reply 58 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n2macs View Post

Consumer Reports did not say "don't buy the iphone". What they did say is "At this point we cannot recommend that consumers buy the iphone". there is a big difference between not recommending and saying don't buy. I have had the iphone since day one and have not had any issues. Even on a bad day, the iphone works better than most phones (imoa).

Good point, but unfortunately, few will actually read it that way. The haters didn't even bother to notice that CR otherwise thought very highly of the iPhone 4 overall. They just clip and repeat this one friggin' soundbite. Sadly, so has the mainstream press.
  • Reply 59 of 171
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Consumer Report is flip-flopping, praising the iPhone one minute, then dismissing it, then doing some sleight-of-hand back-pedaling.

Hmm... that would constitute 2 changes of opinion, but I count only one change of any sort from CR. CR went from praising but not issuing a recommendation of the iPhone 4, to praising and explicitly saying they can not recommend the iPhone 4. Maybe they will eventually recommend the iPhone 4 after further testing or after Apple provides an adequate (in CR's opinion) response.

Quote:

Apple has every right to delete that nonsense from their own boards.

Somebody said they didn't?
  • Reply 60 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MediaPlex View Post

I tried to warn people NOT to upgrade to iOS4 on a iPhone 3G as it wiped my phone and my wife's phone and pretty much rendered them useless. They DELETED my posts. Idiots.

Typical modern day way of dealing with problems. IGNORE them and hope they go away.

Message to Apple and Steve Jobs: WE WILL NEVER FORGET IOS4, AKA: YOUR "VISTA". The mere fact that you are DENYING and IGNORING this disaster is cause for great alarm. You are no longer trustworthy.

Delete your anger. Search around the web. There is a way to return to iOS 3.1.3. Chill out.