RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference

Comments

• Reply 281 of 547
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Unfortunately it's not quite that easy. For the signal loss due to de-tuning of the antenna, yes, some sort of coating would be part of a solution, though a coating over the gap between the two would actually act as a capacitor, which is not a block to RF (it is to dc), so that in itself would de-tune the antenna (you can actually use a capacitor in your antenna circuit to change it's resonant frequency and tune it in). I would imagine they could make some tweaks inside in conjunction to a coating which would alleviate that however. It's 10 years since I did any work on antennas and to be honest my memory is a bit rusty.

What a clear coating would not help is the attenuating effect of the proximity of your hand. The attenuating effect of your hand is nothing to do with whether or not there is an insulator between your hand and the antenna, more it is to do with the fact that there is something that is mostly water (remember, we're about 70% water) which will happily soak up RF energy and lower the received (and transmitted) signal. The only way around that is to move the antenna away from your hand, which the bumper will do a bit, and moving the antenna inside would do.

However, from what I've seen (and I admit, I don't have an iPhone 4 to play with, so I'm basing this off the videos I've seen), I suspect this problem is being caused almost entirely by de-tuning, and a coating, coupled with some internal tweaks would resolve it. I'm basing that on the idea that since a bumper does seem to solve the problem, and it only moves your hand a couple of mm away from the antenna, it's not really changing the attenuating effect of your hand, so the fact that it fixes the problem would point to de-tuning being the root cause).

That said, a clear coating is not exactly straightforward, given it will be going on an area of the phone that is handled/rubbed a lot, and would be sensitive to rubbing off. I'm not saying there is not such a coating out there, and there might be something really easy (I'm not a materials engineer), but I would think it's actually a bit of a challenge.

Wow! The first logical and a good technological post in ~ 200 posts! Please continue.
  • Reply 282 of 547
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

So you're saying most phones are insensitive wenches and the iPhone is a sensitive beauty?

Don't touch her there unless you want her to go off

The other phones don't attenuate and de-tune as much because they're covered in layers and layers of plastic. You can do the same with your iPhone ie put it in a cover.

If you're an iP4 owner, you need to ask yourself why do you own the iPhone?

To make calls and use the Apps or because it's beautiful? So beautiful you need to see it naked all the time ?

The iPhone is a delicate beauty that still charms and does everything she promised even when dressing in a "haute couture" cover.

Long term I expect our sexy iPhone 4 to wear a thin see through figure hugging coating, that some would say looks like it was sprayed on

Love it!

And wouldn't be surprised if this is what Apple does. The chemical engineers are working overtime.
  • Reply 283 of 547
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

well, this "feature" has been rated the best in class by many reviews, despite the issue at hand.

and is useless for me for the reasons I outlined in a previous post because the issue at hand will directly affect me.
  • Reply 284 of 547
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I watched the press conference and read the Q&A session as well. Thanks to Jason Snell's excellent work at MacWorld.

I came away satisfied and impressed with Apple's take on the 'problem.' I'll now sell my 3Gs and order an iPhone 4. If nothing else, but for the thinner form factor, 40% increased battery life and the improved camera with flash.

Apple's products are great and superior to anything else that is being manufactured from smart phones to laptops.

To expect a device to perform 100%, 100% of the time is unrealistic in the real world. I can see if it's an iPod which is a closed system and you want to play a song, then yes, it should work 100% of the time. But to expect a smart phone to never drop calls or have low reception at times is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Based on the evidence presented, I agree with Jobs that it has been way overblown and for me is a non-issue.

I would encourage everyone to watch the video of the press conference. It is very informative and I learned a lot.

Steve should do one every Friday. Below is the link! Best.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

------------------------------------------------------

LOL !, LOL ! LOL!

I was amazed at the total slap-down Jobs did on the whole gang of mutts that were nipping at the heels of the champion - Apple.

What a transparently lousy version of the Jedi mind trick coming from the mutts!

They totally (try to) divert attention from the plain evidence of the videos.

Who are we to believe, them or our own lying eyes ?

Just the night before, I put the death grip on my wonderful 3GS and it took 8 seconds to drop bars and 8 seconds to bring them back up on release. Yet, I have dropped only two calls in the last six months. As soon as the proximity issue is addressed, I will get my G4 upgrade.

Well said Chris.

---gooddog
  • Reply 285 of 547
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

It'd be a super easy fix that wouldn't affect the appearance of the phone one bit. They could just apply some clear type of coating to the antennas that will keep our hands from touching them and causing all this BS....Can't believe they didn't do it in the first place when one of their OWN techs voiced concern...

This may still be the way they help the antenna situation although Apple denies the tech said anything about a problem.
  • Reply 286 of 547
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fordyingseasons View Post

I demand a free case for my blackberry!!! I have no bars as well when I deathgrip it!

I already have a rubber bumper.

I demand an iPhone4 for it !!!

Right now, I get no signal at all, no matter how I hold my bumper
  • Reply 287 of 547
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Jobs exposed the industry's dirty little secret and now RIM and Nokia are crying about it. They need to fess-up too.

I think we just have some poor losers, Gizmodo, out there that want to take Apple down a few notches if they can.

The entity behind all of this was Gizmodo. And, they wanted to take on to apple for the issues we all know.

There can two possibilities either apple pulls the investigation or the come real hard on them and eventually destroying the Gizmodo.
  • Reply 288 of 547
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Unfortunately it's not quite that easy. For the signal loss due to de-tuning of the antenna, yes, some sort of coating would be part of a solution, though a coating over the gap between the two would actually act as a capacitor, which is not a block to RF (it is to dc), so that in itself would de-tune the antenna (you can actually use a capacitor in your antenna circuit to change it's resonant frequency and tune it in). I would imagine they could make some tweaks inside in conjunction to a coating which would alleviate that however. It's 10 years since I did any work on antennas and to be honest my memory is a bit rusty.

What a clear coating would not help is the attenuating effect of the proximity of your hand. The attenuating effect of your hand is nothing to do with whether or not there is an insulator between your hand and the antenna, more it is to do with the fact that there is something that is mostly water (remember, we're about 70% water) which will happily soak up RF energy and lower the received (and transmitted) signal. The only way around that is to move the antenna away from your hand, which the bumper will do a bit, and moving the antenna inside would do.

However, from what I've seen (and I admit, I don't have an iPhone 4 to play with, so I'm Nbasing this off the videos I've seen), I suspect this problem is being caused almost entirely by de-tuning, and a coating, coupled with some internal tweaks would resolve it. I'm basing that on the idea that since a bumper does seem to solve the problem, and it only moves your hand a couple of mm away from the antenna, it's not really changing the attenuating effect of your hand, so the fact that it fixes the problem would point to de-tuning being the root cause).

That said, a clear coating is not exactly straightforward, given it will be going on an area of the phone that is handled/rubbed a lot, and would be sensitive to rubbing off. I'm not saying there is not such a coating out there, and there might be something really easy (I'm not a materials engineer), but I would think it's actually a bit of a challenge.

As I mentioned previously, a materials film and coating expert I met from Bayer Int'l thinks urethane provides the best combination of desired properties for coating the antenna.
  • Reply 289 of 547
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post

...destroying the Gizmodo.

That should be fairly easy. Think about it. Does anyone honestly think the iPhone 4 prototype was the first stolen device Gizmodo has every paid money for? (And yes, folks, Gizmodo knew full well it was stolen too.) And do you honestly think they are not buying stolen property now? Therefore, it's just a matter of keeping a close eye on Gizmodo and then bringing their unlawful activities to light.
  • Reply 290 of 547
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Don't do it! If you get one, there's only a 99.45% chance you'll be happy with it enough to keep it. And if you believe the flip-floppers over at Consumer Reports, you'll just be settling for the best smartphone on the market. You should demand more. Perhaps a cheap and clunky Nokia phone.

Don't you want a Nokia Hello Kitty phone? A plastic fantastic Dell Inspiron craptop loaded with shovelware?

Cheap, cheaper, Cheapest. Nokia Phones with high resolution displays such as 80x24 running the most advanced OS developed for 8-bit Micro controllers in their radical phone designs( Pink colors, cheap plastic).

Nokia's technological history is manufacturing rubber tyre.

They are pioneers in phone design ( big brick size ones), Superiorly advanced Symbian (aka Windows 3.1) and superiorly low price range of ($25 - $50)
  • Reply 291 of 547
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

yes you are.

Get a life
  • Reply 292 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, if you have a point, make it. So far, all you've done is, as I've said, recycle garbage.

I have stated fact.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, you should be very worried about the iPod Touch's cellular antenna. It may not be the product for you after all.

I was referring to poor engineering in general.
  • Reply 293 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

no, i just don't believe that there are vast numbers of people out there who cbf'd calling apple care and are willing to spend thousands of dollars in putting up with a faulty product.

You are welcome to your beliefs.
  • Reply 294 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The 1100 is a dual band 2G GSM phone, it has no WiFi, Bluetooth or 3G radios to take into consideration.

It is useless as a comparison.

Which is what I said in the first place. Maybe you should have replied to the person why gave it as an example in the first place.
  • Reply 295 of 547
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Do me a favor, use factual data to make comments and do not just use words for sake of it like 'massive'. It does not matter were you grip the phone on other smartphones, the point is the same effect happens. People grip their phones different depending on the design and their personal choice, so i doubt the way the experiments were undertaken in Apple labs are less credible.

Note: 0.55% of total ATT users registered an issue and return rate is 1/3 of that compared to 3GS.

Problem is once media fills people brains with garage, they have hard time releasing from the garage and continue to agree with such garage.

If I had been RIM and Nokia, I would have kept my mouth shut, because saying that its Apple's problem and you know, you have the same issue, well lets all act like ostrich stick our head in the ground.

Something that just caught my eye when browsing engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/17/h...ntage-pew-pew/

"Whereas Apple claimed over 0.55 percent of customers called AppleCare with reception-related complaints, HTC's Eric Lin told Pocket-lint the Droid Eris technical support rate was 0.016 percent, nearly thirty-four times lower"

Perhaps .55% is nothing to crow about? Just putting it out there. A number by itself may sound impressive but put into context and it takes on a different meaning altogether. I know nothing of the general or accepted rate of reception related issues but these two data points are quite disparate.
  • Reply 296 of 547
    dvhdvh Posts: 9member
    You are not comparing apples to apples so to speak...

If you have an HTC phone you would likely go to your Verizon store and ask their wonderful staff your support questions. Or call Verizon support. I suspect few people would think of calling HTC directly. Oh yes... let's get transferred to their overseas call center.

On the iPhone you have multiple options. Go to you local AT&T store and get assistance from their helpful staff. Or go to your Apple store and talk with someone there. Or call AppleCare. AppleCare is a big convenient target with with support people who, when I've called, genuinely seem to want to help you if there is a solution. It's a "path-of-least-resistance" easy call.

So IMHO the response from HTC on their comparative number of support calls doesn't really mean anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Something that just caught my eye when browsing engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/17/h...ntage-pew-pew/

"Whereas Apple claimed over 0.55 percent of customers called AppleCare with reception-related complaints, HTC's Eric Lin told Pocket-lint the Droid Eris technical support rate was 0.016 percent, nearly thirty-four times lower"

Perhaps .55% is nothing to crow about? Just putting it out there. A number by itself may sound impressive but put into context and it takes on a different meaning altogether. I know nothing of the general or accepted rate of reception related issues but these two data points are quite disparate.

• Reply 297 of 547
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I've read most of the posts on most of the threads re antannagate for the last 22 days.

I pre-ordered and received my iP4 on June 23.

I have experienced no problems.

I bought a $20 case from Radio Shack. Soccer season has started and I will be out and about a lot and want protection for the phone: bumping, dropping, scratching, etc.

I've given it a lot of thought, and acting in total self-interest, here's what Apple needs to do to satisfy me:

1) Give me a free case valued at $30. I will sell it on eBay to recover the cost of buying a $20 case with a little extra for my time and trouble.

2) Give me a complete refund for the iPhone 4 -- including purchase price, taxes, activation fee, etc.

3) Let me keep the iPhone 4 -- it really is a wonderful phone.

• Reply 298 of 547
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    What is Obamagate?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

First: Others have said that it, likely, would take several days to test each phone-- some tests run for 24 hours.

Second: What Apple showed at the press event was fair, but fairly innocuous. It should be pretty easy to duplicate what you saw without raising challenges.

If Apple were to do a thorough test of each phone measuring results on a common scale-- yes it would be useful. They may already have done this.

But, if Apple were to publish the results. it would open itself to all sorts of bad PR, criticism, lawsuits, for example:

-- How come you measured the old XYZ and not the New XYZ Plus

-- Your figures are totally wrong

-- your methodology is skewed to make the iPhone look better

-- prove your results

-- you don't understand the first thing about RF, signal strength, attenuation

-- how come you touched me here, you were supposed to touch me there

-- Your inaccurate numbers have had a negative effect on our sales

Can you imagine the firestorm if Apple did this-- bigger than Antennagate, Obamagate and BPgate combined.

What should happen is that an independent or regulatory organization should perform these tests to a common standard and publish the methodology and results for all to see-- no evaluation, no allowed to sell phone.

Are you listening CR? FCC?

• Reply 299 of 547
    gibbygibby Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case.

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. This is not standard attenuation.

Quote:

The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case. *

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. *This is not standard attenuation.

Quote:

The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case. *

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. *This is not standard attenuation.

"Standard attenuation" ??? "Obvious design flaw" ??? *Let's get real... what we are all talking about here are devices that evolved from a one function cell phone to a complex, multifunction device. There are design compromises EVERYWHERE in these devices. All functions are weighted and carefully considered on multiple criteria, and the final product is a blend of the demands of the designer, the marketers, and the engineers.

Everyone would love a device that never has to recharge, and that does everything you can imagine...that is the dream that keeps these companies working hard for the consumer. Will a "perfect" device ever exist? Depends what perfect means to the individual, but Apple is consistently is leading the industry, a pretty impressive performance, after only three years of *experience in the market.

I recall the CEO of Nokia publicly laughing off the first gen iPhone in 2007. *Where is he now? *He is in the process of most probably being ousted by an angry mob of Nokia shareholders, for failing to providing a Nokia answer to that very device he laughed at. *Steve Balmer reacted in the same manner...is he next? *
  • Reply 300 of 547
    gibbygibby Posts: 9member
    [QUOTE=g3pro;1678005]The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case.

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. This is not standard attenuation.

"Standard attenuation" ??? "Obvious design flaw" ??? *Let's get real... what we are all talking about here are devices that evolved from a one function cell phone to a complex, multifunction device. There are design compromises EVERYWHERE in these devices. All functions are weighted and carefully considered on multiple criteria, and the final product is a blend of the demands of the designer, the marketers, and the engineers.

Everyone would love a device that never has to recharge, and that does everything you can imagine...that is the dream that keeps these companies working hard for the consumer. Will a "perfect" device ever exist? Depends what perfect means to the individual, but Apple is consistently is leading the industry, a pretty impressive performance, after only three years of *experience in the market.

I recall the CEO of Nokia publicly laughing off the first gen iPhone in 2007. *Where is he now? *He is in the process of most probably being ousted by an angry mob of Nokia shareholders, for failing to providing a Nokia answer to that very device he laughed at. *Steve Balmer reacted in the same manner...is he next? *