HTC, Samsung also take issue with Apple's antenna claims

Comments

• Reply 181 of 240
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am one of the fortunate people who hasve no problems with my iP4.

I am trying to understand the issue. You've posted on AI, and have a reputation for honest reasoned posts. I would like to hear your opinion!

Did you have dropped calls with your iP4?

Some have said they were able to make calls in weak signal areas on the iP4 and not on the 3G or 3GS-- I think some of the tech reviews had similar findings.

Some have said that the weak signal calls completed normally on the iP4, and were not possible on the 3G or 3GS.

Others have said that they dropped the call on the iP4, but it wasn't unexpected, because only the iP4 could make the call.

What is your experience?

I tested 4 phones in the same locations and the same locations while making and recieving a simple phone call. ONLY the iPhone 4G(iP4) would drop calls based on how it was held. That is my real world expeiences and that is why I switched to the EVO.

I tested iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and the iP4 and for conext around all smartphones have this issue I tested a HTC EVO.

I test them at my home and around my town (Mesa, Arizona). I could re produce the signal loss issue for the Apple store manager (Chad) near my home. BUT the iP4 was ther only phone tested that would drop call no matter how many bars were displayed or what the signal strength was at the time the test was done. The iP4 was the only one to drop call or lose signal strength. That was my experience based on my normal real world experiences. Now I am not bashing Apple..... I love Apple products and will continue to buy them........
  • Reply 182 of 240
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:

So, is the slot on the right side only there for aesthetic symmetry? It doesn't completely bisect the metal.
  • Reply 183 of 240
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

That doesn't answer my question, does it?

But yes, I do retain both the mental and physical capacity. I can even do it with my right and left hands-- I'm just so fucking ambidextrous like that, man.

Let's ask the more appropriate question: Should you or I or anyone else have to hold the phone a certain way in order to use it?

But, you, admittedly don't have the iPhone 4.

So, you have no issues with the iPhone 4 because you can't hold it all!

What you seem to be attempting to do is:

-- take the occasion to denigrate Apple

-- protect us from ourselves, so we don't buy a phone that you feel to be inferior

The first is gratuitous, and the second is condescending-- both are resented as they add cruft that attempts to drown out reasonable discussion of the facts.

• Reply 184 of 240
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Have you decided to dumb down your comments in an attempt to at least be annoying if anything else than wrong?

First off, stop ignoring that there's a difference between the light touch of a finger, and the firm grip of a hand.

Secondly, as far as your deluded logic, look how you tried to make geekdad feel like his story doesn't matter in this discussion, when in fact it does.

Finally, read how that little topic came up and who brought it up when replying to me. You decided to pounce on it and try to turn it into a discussion, now you're claiming I brought it up. Is it really so hard to stop trying to discuss it? Even when faced with the truth, you'll find a way to twist it. You fanatics remind me of the far right fringe in politics.

What about the far-left lunatic fringe in politics? If you are taking comparisons in that direction, how about being fair and balanced.
  • Reply 185 of 240
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

What about the far-left lunatic fringe in politics? If you are taking comparisons in that direction, how about being fair and balanced.

When you're in the center, you look like you're a big liberal compared to the far right.

The far left in this situation would be the people trying to make this sound like as soon as you pick up an iphone4 you can't make a phone call, no matter what the signal strength is, and so Apple should recall all of them lol
  • Reply 186 of 240
    Quote:

But, you, admittedly don't have the iPhone 4.

So, you have no issues with the iPhone 4 because you can't hold it all!

What you seem to be attempting to do is:

-- take the occasion to denigrate Apple

-- protect us from ourselves, so we don't buy a phone that you feel to be inferior

The first is gratuitous, and the second is condescending-- both are resented as they add cruft that attempts to drown out reasonable discussion of the facts.

I did own it for two days before I returned it, which I have stated numerous times in previous posts. I reviewed the unit, testing it's reception broadly throughout 3 of the 5 boroughs of New York City; Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens.

I've also exclaimed in those posts that I felt the device was outstanding with the exception of the ... it's been said too many times, has it not?

So there you have it, dick.
  • Reply 187 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The reason I can acknowledge that and still say that the antenna is no more problematic that other phones is because the key word is "may". It also may not, and testing indicates that an iP4 may also hold on to signal and calls in low signals areas better than these other phones. So, which phone has the antenna problem? Or is it that they all have issues, some different, some similar, and that the line of the iP4 antenna being particularly problematic simply isn't true. They are all problematic in various circumstances. The only difference is that with the iP4, customers know exactly what those circumstances are, whereas with the others it remains somewhat murky.

What testing indicates an iP4 may hold low signal calls better?

And as to your last sentence, talk about murky.
  • Reply 188 of 240
    Please Steve, My Droid Incredible works everywhere, any place all the time. My iPhone didn't, It's not how I held it. It's the truth simply stated.
  • Reply 189 of 240
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

Have you decided to dumb down your comments in an attempt to at least be annoying if anything else than wrong?

First off, stop ignoring that there's a difference between the light touch of a finger, and the firm grip of a hand.

I'm not ignoring it, nor dumbing down my comments in any way. You're the one trying to exaggerate it by saying, based on the original bar display, that the phone loses all signal. In fact, it loses a predictable amount of signal, which only matters in areas of very weak signal.

This is what this entire discussion is about: your continued attempts to misrepresent the facts in regard to this.

Quote:

Secondly, as far as your deluded logic, look how you tried to make geekdad feel like his story doesn't matter in this discussion, when in fact it does.

In terms of determining the severity of the issue in relation to other phones, no it doesn't, and I've already given sound reasons why.

Quote:

Finally, read how that little topic came up and who brought it up when replying to me. You decided to pounce on it and try to turn it into a discussion, now you're claiming I brought it up. Is it really so hard to stop trying to discuss it? Even when faced with the truth, you'll find a way to twist it. You fanatics remind me of the far right fringe in politics.

Are you not the one who made the specific assertion I referenced? If not, I am mistaken. If so, you are dodging the question and trying to obfuscate it in your response.
  • Reply 190 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

What testing indicates an iP4 may hold low signal calls better?

For one, the AnandTech testing.
  • Reply 191 of 240
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Well I'm sorry, I simply can't believe it. Clearly I have to believe anonymouse when he says there is no issue, and anyone who had an issue only had one because it was pre 4.01.

You're a liar!

(just kidding )

He wasn't kidding-- he was trying to irritate you, the OP-- or both!

For all who are new to AI forums (or haven't visited recently), @Chronster has an agenda! It appears that he wants to clog the thread with posts, irritating as many people as possible. He will alternately take every side of every issue so that he can challenge and offend more people.

If you care, just click on his alias and you can review his posting pattern,

He does not own an iPhone 4-- so what he offers are unsubstantiated [by him] opinions, or parroted opinions of others that suit his need of the moment.

Once this issue passes, @Chronster will return to the shadows to ready himself for the next attack.

• Reply 192 of 240
    mretondomretondo Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

If you read the press releases etc from the other phone makers, none of them - not one - denies the claims made by Apple.

A very misleading piece of Legal/Marketing work

Yep, your clasic "non denial, denial'.
  • Reply 193 of 240
    Quote:

I'm not ignoring it, nor dumbing down my comments in any way. You're the one trying to exaggerate it by saying, based on the original bar display, that the phone loses all signal. In fact, it loses a predictable amount of signal, which only matters in areas of very weak signal.

This is what this entire discussion is about: your continued attempts to misrepresent the facts in regard to this.

In terms of determining the severity of the issue in relation to other phones, no it doesn't, and I've already given sound reasons why.

Are you not the one who made the specific assertion I referenced? If not, I am mistaken. If so, you are dodging the question and trying to obfuscate it in your response.

We're going in circles, and of course it's because of your inability to follow along. You're like one of those water filled stress balls, where when squeezed, you'll always find a crevasse or opening in the hand to pop out. Once I've squashed one absurd thing you say, you bring something else up. And if I squash that, you return to the other thing.

The 4.01 update will still suffer from the unique attenuation found in the ip4 because of the antenna design, not just how the bars are represented. If you can cause some form of signal loss by lightly pressing the bar with your finger, then it will remain present even after the signal bar algorithm changes. This is where the bumper or case comes in, and where I say the issue ends.

As far as determining the severity compared to other phones, you and others have repeatedly said other phones suffer from the same exact thing, when the reality is it's not exactly the same. Other phones suffer from attenuation, but each is unique in the antenna placement, and how you need to hold it to see the most dramatic results. With the Galaxy S, the antenna was around the bottom. With the Evo, the antenna is up by the in-call speaker, and to show signal degradation, that's where you need to hold it. Unfortunately for the ip4, since the antenna wraps around the whole thing, it's almost impossible not to bridge the connection, and in doing so, if you don't have much signal to begin with, it's enough to push you over the edge into no service.

As to your final comment: No, I didn't make that assertion. I never said they would get to where they are today even though they weren't evolving in any way in that direction. What I in fact did say, and have backed up with evidence, is that manufacturers had touch screen phones with the same kinds of goals in mind (regarding PDA functionality) and therefore from THAT we can assert they would have evolved to where they are today. I'm definitely willing to admit Apple gave the other companies a reason to wake up and get moving a little quicker though.
  • Reply 194 of 240
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

For all who are new to AI forums (or haven't visited recently), @Chronster has an agenda! It appears that he wants to clog the thread with posts, irritating as many people as possible. He will alternately take every side of every issue so that he can challenge and offend more people.

He does not own an iPhone 4-- so what he offers are unsubstantiated [by him] opinions, or parroted opinions of others that suit his need of the moment.

Once this issue passes, @Chronster will return to the shadows to ready himself for the next attack.

I'm pretty sure, don't quote me on it though, that, he also hates kittens.
  • Reply 195 of 240
    Quote:

Yes, I invite everyone to review my posting pattern. What you call taking every side with this discussion is in fact taking the rational center road.

So what am I being irrational about? Because it's not enough to say the phone is best with a case for people in low signal? I have to say the issue isn't real, and nobody needs a case?

Reall, Dick, what are you trying to say here? I'm a troll for not taking one extreme position in this discussion?
  • Reply 196 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I'm pretty sure, don't quote me on it though, that, he also hates kittens.

I love kittens. Especially with a little rosemary and tarragon mixed in butter. Delicious.
  • Reply 197 of 240
    Quote:

We're going in circles, and of course it's because of your inability to follow along. You're like one of those water filled stress balls, where when squeezed, you'll always find a crevasse or opening in the hand to pop out. Once I've squashed one absurd thing you say, you bring something else up. And if I squash that, you return to the other thing.

The 4.01 update will still suffer from the unique attenuation found in the ip4 because of the antenna design, not just how the bars are represented. If you can cause some form of signal loss by lightly pressing the bar with your finger, then it will remain present even after the signal bar algorithm changes. This is where the bumper or case comes in, and where I say the issue ends.

As far as determining the severity compared to other phones, you and others have repeatedly said other phones suffer from the same exact thing, when the reality is it's not exactly the same. Other phones suffer from attenuation, but each is unique in the antenna placement, and how you need to hold it to see the most dramatic results. With the Galaxy S, the antenna was around the bottom. With the Evo, the antenna is up by the in-call speaker, and to show signal degradation, that's where you need to hold it. Unfortunately for the ip4, since the antenna wraps around the whole thing, it's almost impossible not to bridge the connection, and in doing so, if you don't have much signal to begin with, it's enough to push you over the edge into no service.

As to your final comment: No, I didn't make that assertion. I never said they would get to where they are today even though they weren't evolving in any way in that direction. What I in fact did say, and have backed up with evidence, is that manufacturers had touch screen phones with the same kinds of goals in mind (regarding PDA functionality) and therefore from THAT we can assert they would have evolved to where they are today. I'm definitely willing to admit Apple gave the other companies a reason to wake up and get moving a little quicker though.

My reply to this is that I won't even dignify it with a reply, other than to say you have misrepresented all the particulars of every point you have touched on. Sometimes, the best response to bullshit is to simply point out that it's bullshit.
  • Reply 198 of 240
    Quote:

My reply to this is that I won't even dignify it with a reply, other than to say you have misrepresented all the particulars of every point you have touched on. Sometimes, the best response to bullshit is to simply point out that it's bullshit.

Which I have done for each of your bullshit comments.

Maybe I really am crazy, and my perception of a rational position is wrong, in which case it's out of my control and I'll always be irrational.

Either way, I think I could have taken a far more extreme stance on this issue and you would have treated me in the same regard since it simply is different than yours. Doesn't matter how different, my point of view is just different.
  • Reply 199 of 240
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    ....but I just can't resist.

@chronster AND @anonymouse

CAT FIGHT! CAT FIGHT!

Really guys...enough already. Blogging is not supposed to be a contact sport!
  • Reply 200 of 240
    Quote:

Do you really think carriers would be charging any less for their plans if they weren't subsidizing phones? The phone subsidies and models of phones they offer are the sole area where they actually compete. They're still going to get as much on the plans as they think the market will bear.

Actually, this is exactly what T-Mobile does. You can choose a subsidized phone plan and pay more per month on a 2-year contract, or choose to pay less per month and have no contract, but you buy your phone unlocked for full price.

I personally like buying the phone outright, unlocked, and not being locked into a contract. With a subsidized plan, the only realistic way to get your money out of it is to always buy the most expensive phone available every two years, whether you want it or not, and sell it on Ebay. You're essentially paying for that most expensive phone with your monthly bill anyway, so you had better get your money's worth.