Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 217
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The solution to Apple's jailbreaking for a majority is expanding carriers in the U.S.A. to T-Mobile and Verizon. There would be not need for jailbreaking for the majority. If I bought an iPhone I'd jailbreak it to get onto T-Mobile.

Apple just needs to keep locking the iOS for every update. That's annoying for most non-techie users to just toe-the-line. The rest may eventually just switch phones.
  • Reply 22 of 217
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    90% in asia, 70% in Europe, 40% in US?

This either makes me very glad about level US morality or very sad about the level of US tech education, sadly I think it's the latter.

Either way 40% is still way too high, and i hope it never gets that bad on the app store.
  • Reply 23 of 217
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:

hehe.. just reading the bias headline I guessed the author.

I'd actually be perfectly happy if his articles were highlighted in some way - they are quite different to other AI articles.

This is not biased this is a real concern for developers. his posts dont need to be highlighted just open link and check the name, its not that hard.
  • Reply 24 of 217
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Since when do articles by definition HAVE to be balanced?? At what point were the Watergate articles - balanced? Or any other article???? Really?

And app signing is only part of the answer - note also that Google is piece-mealing Android solutions, not developing a coherent approach - its patchwork and a hell of a way to manage a platform as promising as Android is. I wasn't at all sanguine about Google buying up Android in the first place, but all the fanboys are blinkered by the flow of money into building it out rapidly to keep adding features. The problem for Android smartphone owners beyond the obvious ones are the slow uptake of revisions by the carriers being pushed out to the existing base, and the need to constantly buy new hardware to keep up with the revisions. I am concerned that Android will go the way of netbooks - a flooded market with lots of units, but little brand loyalty to Android itself.

Oh wait. Sorry. I forgot completely about the actual short answer to your entry: UserCP>Edit ignore list>Chopper>Save. All taken care of.

Well I'm sorry that you've chosen to ignore my posts, but it's your choice and since you won't be reading this anyway, you won't see that I think your second paragraph is thought-provoking if marred by the non-sequiturs it contains. If you hadn't put me on ignore, then we might all be witness to your arguments supporting your position, but alas, now we'll never know. Pity.

Yes, it's my opinion, as are the words you wrote, and it's hopefully a forum where our reasoned opinions may be expressed without offence. Just to clarify, a piece that is blatantly one sided is a commentary, or an opinion piece. It should be clearly identified as such, whereas this Dilger piece appears on the AI "News" section. The reader is entitled to expect then that this piece is news, not a hatchet job pretending to be news.

I don't know what passes for articles where you live, but in NZ something that is op ed is expected to be flagged as such, and where there is a lack of balance in a piece that appears to be a news report or an article, our media can be forced to publish a retraction.

If you believe that a piece that contains deliberately misleading, inflammatory and or obviously biased "reporting" is still an article, then fill your boots. I believe in calling "spin", "spin".
  • Reply 25 of 217
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    The bigger question is why do so many people think it is ok to pirate this software? They are shooting themselves in the foot doing it.
  • Reply 26 of 217
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

There is just one major flaw with Google's anti-piracy strategy: it conflicts with their upgrade strategy. This measure won't be able to be used on the vast majority of current Android devices, as they will never see software upgrades to future versions of Android. And developers are clearly going to use the anti-piracy functions (it would be stupid if they didn't) which locks out their software to at minimum the release which introduced this fix.

Googles anti-piracy strategy is based on preexisting data that they've had in the system for awhile now.

This isn't "in android" it's all server side. All app developers need to do is implement the code in their programs and push out an update. It works on all phones 1.5 or higher. Aka ALL of them.
  • Reply 27 of 217
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I'm wondering why DED is talking so much about Android piracy instead of trying to focus on how Apple's security was breached to allow the jailbreak exploit.

John Gruber has some musings from Charlie Miller on the subject:

Quote:

Starting to get a handle on jailbreakme.com exploit. Very beautiful work. Scary how it totally defeats Apple?s security architecture.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/08/02/jailbreakme
  • Reply 28 of 217
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I suppose the real question is why? Has Daniel Eran Dilger got so little confidence in the iPhone that he feels it cannot stand on its own two feet and he must attack the competition to compensate?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the trolls now completely own this site. Who wants to read articles about Apple when the only ones here are Apple critics. You have to cater to your core users don't you and AppleInsider's core constituents are Android supporters and Apple haters now. Any Apple article with even a hint of the positive is pounced upon. So why not write about Android?
  • Reply 29 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

What I LOVE are the apologists who come and say - "well that was taken care of a week ago" (app signing), which has actually been a solution available for the entire life of Android - but they CHOSE not to do it - until problems cropped up. This is of course is natural as Android is such a new OS - oh wait it's "older than iOS" isn't it. Because if they had enforced app signing to begin with they couldn't have crowed about being COMPLETELY OPEN. Yeah. SO much better.

For the average consumer the whole freedom meme is a complete and idiotic wash - it's only chanted by the leets who are the current wave of Android champions - and who incidentally LOVE the intensely robotic Droid commercials as well. No, Google is smart and they will drive as much uptake of Android as they can to support their entry into the mobile space ad business, and then spin it off to play with the rest of the Open Source community. Android is being used and abused by Google and the leets are loving every minute of it, because the rest of Linux is languishing under the Windows hegemony. This is the last great hope for those who want to see any variant of Linux gain significant marketshare in any space. THIS is why Android must succeed and gain more marketshare than Apple. Except Apple isn't about marketshare, it's about profits - something Android developers aren't seeing a whole lot of right now.

Actually they had other methods of attempted copy protection before this. Unfortunately it artificially increased the app size, and obviously a lot of people found a workaround. And app signing has NOTHING to do with being open as an OS, it never has been. But then again, I wouldn't expect you to understand that because it requires thinking in something other than irrational absolutes.

And you completely missed the entire point of my post which was Apple insider shouldn't be posting this trash because it has NOTHING to do with Apple except in passing, and the reason it was posted was to justify iOS, which, according to apple fans, requires no justification.

It's just another attempt at mud-slinging "journalism." I started posting here because Apple insider started showing up in my Android RSS feeds they're posting so much about it. So I came to read. They don't even attempt at looking at android, they only post stuff if they can somehow mock it, which.. I'll say it again, is completely pointless when you're on a site called APPLE INSIDER.

They should go back to posting apple news.
  • Reply 30 of 217
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hexor View Post

The bigger question is why do so many people think it is ok to pirate this software? They are shooting themselves in the foot doing it.

Piracy can create markets too.

People use a given piece of software, primarily because everyone else is using it. The more people who use something, the more that other people will use it. Rampant piracy creates an installed base that the people who always do pay for their software will naturally drift towards.
  • Reply 31 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

This is not biased this is a real concern for developers.

It's probably both!

It's just a shame that his detail is usually so good while his overviews and sweeping statements are so pro-Apple.

Quote:

his posts dont need to be highlighted just open link and check the name, its not that hard.

Yep. But it's only people who take the time to understand the authors on AppleInsider who can just check the name.
  • Reply 32 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the trolls now completely own this site. Who wants to read articles about Apple when the only ones here are Apple critics. You have to cater to your core users don't you and AppleInsider's core constituents are Android supporters and Apple haters now. Any Apple article with even a hint of the positive is pounced upon. So why not write about Android?

Maybe because apple insider started posting snotty android articles, and they posted them frequently enough that they started showing up in RSS search feeds looking for android news.

Posting poorly researched anti-android op-ed articles will only increase the number of trolls. You don't fight trolls by feeding them.
  • Reply 33 of 217
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Note to Developers:

Android users are Cheap Penny Pinching Freeloaders. They don't buy Apps.

There is no money in ANDROID.

Report: 98.9% Of Downloads On The Android Market Are Free

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/03...989-free-apps/

Android Market a haven for cheapskates

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...en_cheapskates

Male Android Cheapskates To Dominate Mobile Market

http://phandroid.com/2010/02/27/male...mobile-market/

• Reply 34 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

People sue a given piece of software, primarily because everyone else is using it. The more people who use something, the more that other people will use it. Rampant piracy creates an installed base that the people who always do pay for their software will naturally drift towards.

No, it creates a pirate market and creates a disincentive for developers to continue developing that product.

By your argument, Music piracy increases CD sales since so many people pirating the album will cause people who do pay for CD's to buy that album. Except it doesn't work like that.

Piracy has no justification. 70% of people pirating an app doesn't cause a ton of people to buy that app.
  • Reply 35 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Note to Developers:

You keep posting the same trash time and time again.

Find another tune to sing.

The android market is hard to monetize on a consumer end as well. It's NOT all users. Seriously. Yes, there are a lot of cheapskates, but what percentage of downloads from the app store (discounting music and movies) are free? People are cheapskates.

The primary issue with paid apps on the market is the market application itself. It's VERY hard to find quality paid applications unless you know specifically what you're looking for. This is one of the reasons blogs go out of their way to post QR codes for every app they review.
  • Reply 36 of 217
    81698169 Posts: 2member
    Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel

Was just a freight train coming your way
  • Reply 37 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Note to Developers:

Are you over here causing trouble, Dave?
  • Reply 38 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Are you over here causing trouble, Dave?

he needs to make a point to cause trouble
  • Reply 39 of 217
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Except it's not an article - "article" would imply balance which this piece lacks. For instance, the headline might more properly be "Despite Android's 886% growth TYT, some enterprise security issues may hold back adoption." or words to that effect.

And as another poster pointed out, the very issue that Dilger uses to justify his headline has apparently been mitigated if not rendered moot already.

So either Dilger is being deliberately disingenuous (again) or he's incompetent.

I know which one I believe is the correct answer.

Most other contributors to the news page are more even handed in their pieces (except "Slash Lane" who appears to be a DED alias anyway), so getting news from AI is often informative and thought provoking. Dilger is an Apple flack, a click-baiting uber-apologist. As long as he posts rubbish like this, I'll feel entitled to call him on it.

But if you enjoy his offerings, then my opinions obviously won't change that.

Give me a break, at least he is well informed and has valid points.

There is non-stop Apple bashing in the press with people saying the most stupid and uninformed things. On top of that there are just as many asinine articles saying how absolutely perfect the Android phones are glossing over any negatives.

And by the way the problems have not been resolved.
  • Reply 40 of 217
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Except it's not an article - "article" would imply balance which this piece lacks. For instance, the headline might more properly be "Despite Android's 886% growth TYT, some enterprise security issues may hold back adoption." or words to that effect.

This article is about developers and software sales, not hardware sales. Do you need someone to explain the difference between software and hardware?

This is the really funny thing about the position you Android whiners are taking. On one hand, you'll whine that Apple has a monopoly in online software sales because they have 96% of that market.

Then, in the very next breath, you'll say "Android's software sales are doing just fine. Look at how fast their hardware sales are growing".

If you don't get how silly that argument is, ask someone to explain it to you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

90% in asia, 70% in Europe, 40% in US?

This either makes me very glad about level US morality or very sad about the level of US tech education, sadly I think it's the latter.

Either way 40% is still way too high, and i hope it never gets that bad on the app store.

I suspect that it's a different reason and has nothing to do with morality. For a large chunk of Americans, $1.99 for an app is so cheap that it's not worth the time to find out how to steal it. For many Asians (and a significant number of Europeans, particularly in Eastern Europe), that's a big enough number that it's worth finding a way to get it without paying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

People use a given piece of software, primarily because everyone else is using it. The more people who use something, the more that other people will use it. Rampant piracy creates an installed base that the people who always do pay for their software will naturally drift towards.

Oh, yes. The "it's OK to steal my music because it only makes the song more popular" argument.

What kind of bizarre logic makes you conclude that the easier it is to steal something, the more money the developer makes?