Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 217
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Give me a break, at least he is well informed and has valid points.

There is non-stop Apple bashing in the press with people saying the most stupid and uninformed things. On top of that there are just as many asinine articles saying how absolutely perfect the Android phones are glossing over any negatives.

And by the way the problems have not been resolved.

Actually he's not informed. He missed a key release about android app security (that works for all OS releases out there right now) that addresses the piracy issue.

And we're not talking about those other articles, because those articles are invariably on an android centric site. this is an APPLE site, why do they continuously post crap about android?
  • Reply 42 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Piracy can create markets too.

When the Russian marketplace opened up, SCO decided to sell Xenix/Unix. They already had 95% (or so) of that market, but had only sold one copy

The challenge was to convert that to paying customers...
  • Reply 43 of 217
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Are you over here causing trouble, Dave?

rofl

hey, if it's true. it's true.
  • Reply 44 of 217
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This article is about developers and software sales, not hardware sales. Do you need someone to explain the difference between software and hardware?

This is the really funny thing about the position you Android whiners are taking. On one hand, you'll whine that Apple has a monopoly in online software sales because they have 96% of that market.

Then, in the very next breath, you'll say "Android's software sales are doing just fine. Look at how fast their hardware sales are growing".

If you don't get how silly that argument is, ask someone to explain it to you.

The headline of this piece reads "Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone" which is talking about the platforms. The Android platform is measured by the number of HW devices running Android. The iPhone platform is measured by the number of iPhones running iOS. Quite simple really - the author's headline expresses the intent of his message, regardless of any inference you may draw to the contrary. I trust that's explained the "difference between software and hardware" sufficiently for you to understand the author's meaning?

My alternate headline suggestion references a possible reason that Android uptake may be inhibited; as in low uptake in the enterprise, not some imagined resistance from 3rd party developers for reasons that have already been debunked here and elsewhere. While I may over-estimate that possibility, it will be, in my opinion, more likely to affect Android uptake than the baseless speculation Dilger claims with no logic at all.

I have no idea who the "Android whiners" are that complain about a "monopoly in online software sales", and I certainly have never done so. Either you mistake me for some other poster or you are making stuff up again.

If you can't be bothered at least taking the time to attribute to me things I actually said, then you're desperate to manufacture a point, or else your comprehension is sub-par. I'm happy to defend the things I write, but your transparent attempts at point-scoring by hoisting strawmen, is just proof of how truly desperate you have become.

And your whining about "whiners" is really ironic.
  • Reply 45 of 217
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

It's VERY hard to find quality paid applications unless you know specifically what you're looking for. This is one of the reasons blogs go out of their way to post QR codes for every app they review.

And you?re pro-Android? That doesn?t exactly instill user confidence.
  • Reply 46 of 217
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

There is non-stop Apple bashing in the press with people saying the most stupid and uninformed things. On top of that there are just as many asinine articles saying how absolutely perfect the Android phones are glossing over any negatives.

Don't blame the media because it's idiotic. I'm sure nobody was complaining (including you) when the press heaped praise upon Apple or when major news networks covered every iPhone launch. You take the good with bad.

Who really cares about how certain reviewers have certain biases? If you don't like them don't read them. There are plenty of unbiased reviewers such as Pogue.
  • Reply 47 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And you?re pro-Android? That doesn?t exactly instill user confidence.

Yes I am. See, I can appreciate a platform and even use it as my daily driver without insisting everything that it does it perfect.

Free apps like App Brain (with a web portal counterpart) make finding apps a lot easier, but the market is still Android's weakest part. There is no shame in saying this. It's still an excellent platform, just not the most lucrative one for paid app developers atm.
  • Reply 48 of 217
    Oh tut tut. Who would ever have thought this would happen on the Android platform? Can it be that Android fans like stealing software? Maybe they also like developing malware for the Android platform as well? When will the anti-Apple geeks on these threads wake up that they are backing the horse that is destined to come last. When Apple finally frees itself from the exclusive deal with AT&T, Android will fade quickly into history unless Google learns the lessons from Apple's iOS.
  • Reply 49 of 217
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

If Android's 886% growth

Growth of what? Free downloads? Or revenue?

Geeks get hot and bothered over market share numbers and "keeping score".

All the developers I know get excited over revenue. Guess which app store is providing more revenue?
  • Reply 50 of 217
    Quote:

Yes I am. See, I can appreciate a platform and even use it as my daily driver without insisting everything that it does it perfect.

Free apps like App Brain (with a web portal counterpart) make finding apps a lot easier, but the market is still Android's weakest part. There is no shame in saying this. It's still an excellent platform, just not the most lucrative one for paid app developers atm.

Excellent platform for whom? The average consumer? I don’t think so. For tinkering youth it seems great but so is a jailbroken iOS device and other platforms.

Case in point, I was asked just today for an Android app that would facilitate moving pics from the phone to a PC. I’d expect it to built in feature but the fact that it’s not simple enough that I was even asked is telling.

So Android has some major issues. It’s not acceptable for corporate use nor consumer friendly like other mobile OSes that are designed by vendors, and now you say its greatest asset, being a modern App Phone, is the weakest part of the entire Android setup when i thought it was the strongest thing it had going for it. That pretty much makes it’s use and popularity based on the fact that it’s free.
  • Reply 51 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Wow, Daniel Eran Dilger is going all out with his anti-Android articles.

Wow, someone sounds terribly threatened. Tell us - what part of the article was factually, demonstrably inaccurate? What's that? NONE of it? Oh, well then. By all means launch a personal attack on the author, since that's all you've got.
  • Reply 52 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

It's just that Daniel's articles are a significant different quality to the rest of AppleInsider.

And yet you still read it...

And yet you posted a comment about it...

methinks thou doth protest too much

And they are clearly labeled. His name is right there under the title. If you weren't bothered enough to not read and then comment on it, it can't be that much of a hardship to click on the article, see his byline and then press the back button in your browser.

Personally I think he's spot on. The heat is on because some developers and agitators think they have leverage to try to force Apple to change models. As time goes on their "window" closes that much more - hence the frenzy of denial, two for one specials, paying of manufacturers to produce and develop for the platform (tho not as blatant as Microsoft's payola for Windows Phone system 7 or whatever the new ridiculous name is). Things like rampant piracy and low purchase rates are glossed over, dismissed or otherwise panned.

Why is this significant, even to an Apple site? Mobile is the next big platform - it's going to easily eclipse traditional computing by an order of magnitude. The fight is on! Expect the fireworks to increase, not decrease.
  • Reply 53 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm wondering why DED is talking so much about Android piracy instead of trying to focus on how Apple's security was breached to allow the jailbreak exploit.

Probably because they are separate issues and it was covered in two other articles?

Really? This is the best you have?
  • Reply 54 of 217
    Quote:

Excellent platform for whom? The average consumer? I don’t think so.

Case in point, I was asked just today for an Android app that would facilitate moving pics from the phone to a PC. I’d expect it to built in feature but the fact that it’s not simple enough that I was even asked is telling.

So Android has some major issues. It’s not acceptable for corporate use nor consumer friendly like other mobile OSes that are designed by vendors, and now you say its greatest asset, being a modern App Phone, is the weakest part of the entire Android setup when i thought it was the strongest thing it had going for it. That pretty much makes it’s use and popularity based on the fact that it’s free.

The "app" you are looking for is called Drag and Drop. If you plug it into a windows PC, it will ask you if you want to transfer images in a convenient little pop up window. The fact that you were asked means whoever asked you hasn't used a computer in a couple of years. Until the iPhone, this was pretty much the way EVERY company synced media with their phone/PDA. You should tell your friend to stop assuming every OS is going to mimic the iphone on every point. If you want something to sync everything for you, there are plenty of Free software programs for your PC that will do this that are a GOOGLE search away. Seriously, anyone who uses any form of technology and isn't 90 years old knows what a flash drive is.

And yet, if I want to pull pictures from my ipod touch off onto my brother's laptop, I can't without resorting to some pretty creative workarounds. The price you pay for "seamless" syncing is that it's very inflexible. You'd be surprised how many iPhone users I've demonstrated muti-computer synching with (a useful ability) and they thought that such a thing was impossible.

It is increasingly acceptable for corporate use. Remember, out of the box, the iphone was horrible for enterprise as well. It took several revisions to even get there. Froyo fills in most of those security gaps. And Android is pretty darn consumer friendly out of the box. It's not an iphone, so people assuming it will work just the same need to get their head on straight. But give someone an android phone who isn't totally locked on another OS, and they'll have all the basics (what a consumer uses) down in a matter of days, if not sooner. THe UI is extremely intuitive, but people coming from the iphone WON'T think so because they expect everything to work like their previous phone or its "not as good."

The App store monetization is the weakest part of the android market right now. You can find pretty much any app you want (except games, which are lacking) with a simple search. Finding good quality paid apps is harder. Finding free ones/the select few featured apps is a piece of cake. All it really needs is a better search algorithm (which shouldn't be hard for google), and a better way to feature paid apps with high ratings in search results. The other main thing holding the paid app marketplace back is because it doesn't have a music ecosystem like itunes behind it. With itunes there are giftcards, and non-smartphone devices (ipod/ipad) that use the same platform, so games, etc, can hit a better target audience. This can't happen overnight. If apple would've launched their app store Cold (no itunes before it) it would've taken a lot longer to build up as well.

A phone does NOT have to mimic the iphone to be "easy to use" or "useful" just like Apple didn't need to mimic blackberry/winmo (the previous smartphone leaders) to make a product that a lot of people enjoy.
  • Reply 55 of 217
    Quote:

The "app" you are looking for is called Drag and Drop. If you plug it into a windows PC, it will ask you if you want to transfer images in a convenient little pop up window. The fact that you were asked means whoever asked you hasn't used a computer in a couple of years. Until the iPhone, this was pretty much the way EVERY company synced media with their phone/PDA. You should tell your friend to stop assuming every OS is going to mimic the iphone on every point. If you want something to sync everything for you, there are plenty of Free software programs for your PC that will do this that are a GOOGLE search away.

You’ve jumped to some exceptionally incorrect conclusions. Explain to me how they can “drag and drop” wirelessly from their phone to the Mac PC. They have no sync cable, they have no cable and they have no home WiFi. If they expected it to work just like an iPhone they would have expected a USB cable to come with the phone.

Quote:

It is increasingly acceptable for corporate use. Remember, out of the box, the iphone was horrible for enterprise as well. It took several revisions to even get there. Froyo fills in most of those security gaps.

Which Fortune 500 companies have adopted Android?

Quote:

And Android is pretty darn consumer friendly out of the box. It's not an iphone, so people assuming it will work just the same need to get their head on straight. But give someone an android phone who isn't totally locked on another OS, and they'll have all the basics (what a consumer uses) down in a matter of days, if not sooner. THe UI is extremely intuitive, but people coming from the iphone WON'T think so because they expect everything to work like their previous phone or its "not as good."

You say this despite inconsistencies, the lack of oversight, the various changes any vendor can make (*cough* Sense UI *cough*), and perhaps worst of all the comments I hear from Android users like, “If you can’t do [x] on an Android phone you must be an idiot/deserve what you get”. Not everyone wants wants to tinker with their phone 24/7. They just want it to work right which is why RiM, MS and Apple have a leg up on Android here.

Quote:

The App store monetization is the weakest part of the android market right now. You can find pretty much any app you want (except games, which are lacking) with a simple search. Finding good quality paid apps is harder. Finding free ones/the select few featured apps is a piece of cake.

There were DOS apps that could do what Windows apps could do, but with more convenience and with a better experience, even if they were technically slower. That didnt’ stop the GUI from taking off. That’s what this argument reminds me when people say they can find “the same” app across different platforms but don’t mention how well it works for users. Have you see iPhone apps running on the iPad? They technically work but the experience is so bad that most people I know have deleted them. For instance, they use the Facebook webpage over the Facebook app, even though the Facebook app for the iPhone is great on the iPhone.

Quote:

A phone does NOT have to mimic the iphone to be "easy to use" or "useful" just like Apple didn't need to mimic blackberry/winmo (the previous smartphone leaders) to make a product that a lot of people enjoy.

It has to mimic usability.
  • Reply 56 of 217
    Google is ONLY interested in shoveling out as many android licesnses as possible to get the Google search bar out there - beyond that, they don't care, does it matter that every Android phoen has a different OS & OS face? Is the Google search bar working? DONE. People grabbing your personal info? Sure, we'll remotely shut them down AFTERWARDS ... hey, you're running a free Linux OS - you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 57 of 217
    Quote:

You?ve jumped to some exceptionally incorrect conclusions. Explain to me how they can ?drag and drop? wirelessly from their phone to the Mac PC. They have no sync cable, they have no cable and they have no home WiFi. If they expected it to work just like an iPhone they would have expected a USB cable to come with the phone.

So you're expecting the phone to natively do something that apple cannot and then pointing that out as a reason it fails? And a USB cable comes with every android phone, unless they bought it used.

And this being a Mac centered site (or at least it was), and we're talking about syncing, and YOU talking about the iphone as a better option (and saying that the feature should be built in) the ONLY assumption anyone CAN make is you are talking about tethered syncing (which is also possible on an android phone, no apps. My brother has a mac and I do it all the time)

My friend has an Iphone, explain to me how he can wirelessly sync his pictures with his computer using only applications native to the OS.

So maybe you should try being a bit more clear next time.
  • Reply 58 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbelkin View Post

Google is ONLY interested in shoveling out as many android licesnses as possible to get the Google search bar out there - beyond that, they don't care, does it matter that every Android phoen has a different OS & OS face? Is the Google search bar working? DONE. People grabbing your personal info? Sure, we'll remotely shut them down AFTERWARDS ... hey, you're running a free Linux OS - you get what you pay for.

Maybe you should actually pick up and android phone, or at least read about it from someone who knows what android does (aka, not this site) before you shove your other foot in your mouth.
  • Reply 59 of 217
    Quote:

but what percentage of downloads from the app store (discounting music and movies) are free?

Wow, just wow.

I can understand missing something if it's buried in a bunch of text...

But the answer to your question is in the freaking picture of a bar graph.

The graph!

/slaps forehead

Quote:

People are cheapskates.

And android users doubly so.

Quote:

The primary issue with paid apps on the market is the market application itself. It's VERY hard to find quality paid applications unless you know specifically what you're looking for. This is one of the reasons blogs go out of their way to post QR codes for every app they review.

Huh? I thought that was iTunes fatal flaw.

Look, sometimes the simplest explanation is the most likely.

People don't like paying for stuff when they can easily steal it, and Android makes that easy enough.

Apple's gonna have a similar issue if they can't get the jail breaking under control.
  • Reply 60 of 217
    Quote:

You?ve jumped to some exceptionally incorrect conclusions. Explain to me how they can ?drag and drop? wirelessly from their phone to the Mac PC. They have no sync cable, they have no cable and they have no home WiFi. If they expected it to work just like an iPhone they would have expected a USB cable to come with the phone.

Which Fortune 500 companies have adopted Android?

Red Herring. This has NOTHING to do with your initial question. How many fortune 500 companies adopted the iphone 2G at launch? Like I said, it took SEVERAL revisions of the OS to get it to the point where companies would adopt it. Android is just getting there with Froyo, and google hasn't made a big corporate push yet like Apple did when they finally got their software up to par.

Quote:

You say this despite inconsistencies, the lack of oversight, the various changes any vendor can make (*cough* Sense UI *cough*), and perhaps worst of all the comments I hear from Android users like, ?If you can?t do [x] on an Android phone you must be an idiot/deserve what you get?. Not everyone wants wants to tinker with their phone 24/7. They just want it to work right which is why RiM, MS and Apple have a leg up on Android here.

Again, you're speaking from an apple centric point of view. People coming from virtually ANY other OS (yes, even RIM) wouldn't be asking these questions like you are. And there are a ton of people who wouldn't even consider Android without Sense, etc. The overlays broaden the market. The typical user doesn't care about what OS their phone is running, or if their row of icons looks exactly like the next person.

You're talking as if they're going to go from sense to stock to Blur and back again every few weeks. The AVERAGE consumer has their device for 2 years, and the AVERAGE consumer goes into get a new phone expecting they have to learn an new UI and they are a OK with it. I know this because I used to sell hundreds of phones to "average" consumers who couldn't care less about these points that we like arguing about so much online.

They want a phone that does what they want it to do, and for a majority of consumers, android (even android 1.5) does that. The MOMENT you start talking about forum posters, even on facebook, you're talking about fringe users, not the average user.

Quote:

There were DOS apps that could do what Windows apps could do, but with more convenience and with a better experience, even if they were technically slower. That didnt? stop the GUI from taking off. That?s what this argument reminds me when people say they can find ?the same? app across different platforms but don?t mention how well it works for users. Have you see iPhone apps running on the iPad? They technically work but the experience is so bad that most people I know have deleted them. For instance, they use the Facebook webpage over the Facebook app, even though the Facebook app for the iPhone is great on the iPhone.

Then you misread me.

If I want to find an app to track my checkbook, I can find one on iOS and I can find one on android. I want a twitter client? Done.

Now, I might not be able to find Tweetaholic on android, but i can find Touiteur. I'm not saying "the same exact app" I'm saying an app that does what I need an app to do. For the record, I have both these twitter clients, I much prefer Touiteur in pretty much every aspect, but I know people who say the exact opposite, and that's fine.

Quote:

It has to mimic usability.

No, it has to be USABLE. iOS is usable, but it's not the only version of usability. Android, in all variations, is exceedingly usable, but different than iOS.

The reason so many iphone users hate android and think it's trash is because they expect it to act just like their current OS, but it doesn't, so they write it off.

My Macbook operates differently than the PC OS I've used for the past 10 years, does this mean it's not usable? I mean, it doesn't even have a right mouse button, does this automatically make it inferior? No, it makes it DIFFERENT.