Dell announces Streak tablet phone US launch on Friday

Comments

• Reply 101 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Actually No... Apple currently offers nothing in this particular category - The (5 inch) pocketable 3g slate.

You right Apple does not offer an iPhone killer roadkill, I think they should! Perhaps 'I cannot believe it's not iPhone' could be the perfect name? Also I like your little computer it's really effeminate like you, little cute annoying keys and a fairy dress.
  • Reply 102 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

You right Apple does not offer an iPhone killer roadkill, I think they should! Perhaps 'I cannot believe it's not iPhone' could be the perfect name? Also I like your little computer it's really effeminate like you, little cute annoying keys and a fairy dress.

To reiterate what a fail this device is, I live in UK, I haven't herd of it. Nobody cares for this device, everyone has iPhone's, iPad's or BlackBerry's. No Android, no Streak no Dell Tablet. Dell has LOST the market.
  • Reply 103 of 196
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Android 1.6 ... what are they thinking!

2.1 should be the minimum they consider today, 2.2 would be sensible.
  • Reply 104 of 196
    what is so remarkable about another android based device?

Just by being android driven it doesn't distinguish itself from the pack.

Dell doesn't have a real tablet solution at all. 'They are only riding the bandwagon. The real winner is Google because they'll make all that click ad money regardless if you buy something or not.
  • Reply 105 of 196
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

A true high priest in the temple of "He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins"'

Nice collection by the way - if that's what retirement looks like I either have to lay in a bunch more shelves, or arrange my own demise. Jury's still out on that one for now. But you have fun with all the toys sir - you obviously seem to.

The funny thing is, nobody here or on other forums complain about the Mac aficionado that has a half-dozen expensive Apple products in his signature. At least I've never seen it. And we did get people that brag about ordering the 12 core Mac Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrob View Post

Came for the skid mark jokes... leaving satisfied.

Is Dell trying to say they dropped a turd and can't bother to clean it up, or that they dropped a turd prematurely in their shorts? May I suggest a marketing slogan: "If you don't get an iPad, you may just end up with a Streak".

And people complained about the immaturity of the feminine hygiene jokes. Good serve. Or rather, not. The streak jokes got old on page 2 as well.
  • Reply 106 of 196
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

To reiterate what a fail this device is, I live in UK, I haven't herd of it. Nobody cares for this device, everyone has iPhone's, iPad's or BlackBerry's. No Android, no Streak no Dell Tablet. Dell has LOST the market.

Android is very popular, to be fair, although you do see lots of iPhones because it's been out longer.

I know someone with a Dell Streak. Dunno why they got it. Dell's marketshare is indeed collapsing.
  • Reply 107 of 196
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You still haven't answered the key question - who are you a paid shill for? You are certainly not an average consumer who just wants products that work, work easily, are innovative and have great support.

a) Quite an assumption that a person, that has technological interests that clearly cross boundaries (outside of Appleinsider) is automatically a paid shill?

b) Do you mean average AppleInsider consumer or really and average consumer. If the latter, I believe you have it wrong. An average consumer more likely wants the cheapest possible product that is "close enough" for the task it's purchased for (unless we talk about fashion devices) and quality or support doesn't come into play as long as the price is cheap. Sure if you make a poll, you'll get something to the type of response you are talking about, but if you go and look at store counters where people actually pay money for the things they buy, cheapness is a big player.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 108 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It actually depends on who you ask. The trolls will tell you that being a large iPod touch is bad for the iPad but when it comes to the Streak (or non Apple product) they will tell you it is the best thing in the world

And vice versa? Sure seems like it...
  • Reply 109 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yep. And it's flying off the shelves.

And that would be because of marketing or lack of quality/substance/whatever technical of the product?
  • Reply 110 of 196
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Android 1.6 ... what are they thinking!

2.1 should be the minimum they consider today, 2.2 would be sensible.

agreed!
  • Reply 111 of 196
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Having been the victim of many Dell devices, all I can say is that this whole this is boring.

Dell is very good at producing very boring products - nothing they produce excites anyone or anything anywhere.

Even Michael Dell was not excited. All he could say was it is not going to affect Dell's bottom line. I bet you a $ that they never upgrade this thing to Android 2.2 and it will be technically impossible to upgrade it to 3.0 thus making it a product that some will buy and then hate Dell forever.
  • Reply 112 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Translation: It's irrelevant until it's adopted by the next Droid. Gotcha!

so, lemme get this straight. If a company produces a product with much higher specs than the, other guy, they're gonna scream it from the highest mountain.

Man, that is just sheer, marketing genius.
  • Reply 113 of 196
    Quote:

Actually, if you'd taken a few seconds to peruse this thread before jumping in so quick to insult, you'd have noticed that said 'observation' has been long debunked:

My Personal Mantra: To Own Is To Know, as opposed to being completely misinformed

Well debunked, you seem to be the king of slates, tablets, and similarities. Very impressive.
  • Reply 114 of 196
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 779member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree that the sales for this device are not going to make a dent in any smart phone makers market share! But it seems like there is a definite market for a larger phone such as the EVO and the Droid X. But the iphone will still be the king in sales of device to device. But Android based device sales are exploding on Apple right now....

True. It was just the precise way he defined the market that was kindda funny. I have played with a friends EVO and can see the appeal for some people.
  • Reply 115 of 196
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:

It really is interesting that almost every Android device released on AT&T appears to be deliberately cripple, shackled, or stifled in some way or another, almost like they're afraid of offering any viable competition to their (current) flashship device. \

Dell has some phones that they have announced. Will they release them through ATT? I don't remember.

• Reply 116 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dondep View Post

I mean, why buy an iPad that won't let you watch flash, won't give you the option of drag and drop your music, photos, videos, etc....like the Archos tablets can? .

The iPad has the best apps. Archos can't compete.
  • Reply 117 of 196
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Unless it's released with Android 2.2/Froyo, and a lot more than 2gb of built-in storage, I sense a Monumental Fail.

It really is interesting that almost every Android device released on AT&T appears to be deliberately cripple, shackled, or stifled in some way or another, almost like they're afraid of offering any viable competition to their (current) flashship device. \

wow did you actually grow up and stop your attention-starved indenting/right alignment of every word you post?

might be time to take you off ignore. I'll think about it.
  • Reply 118 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

an average consumer who just wants products that work, work easily, are innovative and have great support.

Hey - if that were the average consumer, then the average consumer would buy Apple products! Apple is MUCH better than average.
  • Reply 119 of 196
    Quote:

As the owner/user of an Archos 5It/Android (5inch screen slate computer), there are numerous benefits to a larger (but still pocket-friendly) slate device.

01 - Videos are much more enjoyable on the larger display.

02 - Games are more 'immersive', especially driving games.

03 - Reading eBooks is much more pleasurable and easy on the eyes on a 5 inch screen than on something smaller.

04 - Web Surfing is also much more enjoyable on the larger display.

and on... and on...

Are you really comparing the Archos device to the iPad? You've owned both? I've owned both...

and the Archos can't even be discussed in the same category as the iPad. The Archos is complete garbage, by comparison and there is positively NO advantage to fitting it in your pocket.

Resolution terrible. Games? there are no games. Video? It does this well, but has a sh*t screen, and they make you buy codecs. iPad uses Apps like StreamToMe, which is the be-all-end-all of media streaming, afaic.
  • Reply 120 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corax View Post

Sorry but the Archos really sucks.

It really, really does. It's a 3rd-rate product, by comparison to what's available on the market. If it came out 5 years ago, it might have been impressive. But it also would have cost $1000.

The streak is also on the same level as this piece of junk.