Dell announces Streak tablet phone US launch on Friday

Comments

• Reply 161 of 196
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously! But since we?re posting things we undeniably own because we posted pictures of them here are some things I own.

Here?s a little bridge that I bought on my last trip to NYC.
    Here?s a picture of me building my Large Hadron Collider in Geneva. Just a weekend project I like to tinker with.
    And here is a picture of what I am working on at work. We call it the Genesis Device. We plan on terraforming Mars. This project is ready, but we have to wait until our sister project is ready to increase the core density to hold the atmosphere and re jump the iron core to create a protective magnetic field. We?re doing this by using well positioned worm holes inside Jupiter and Mars to transfer matter. The higher density of Jupiter means a downward stream, but the timing and positioning can be tricky.
    All true, as you can see because I provided pictures.

• Reply 162 of 196
    Quote:

Sweet! I guy just sold me a bunch of computer stuff from the back of his car for a great deal. Here is a picture of it.

• Reply 163 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Call me when you have a working light sabre.

Here ya' go:

• Reply 164 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Didn't you know? Everyone here but you is only one person.

'cept for me... I am 1 1/2 a person!

• Reply 165 of 196
    Quote:

At the risk of sounded trite, I think, therefore I am. I know I exist, It?s everything outside of a base existence that is assumed.

DesCartes' Cogito is commonly refuted in freshman philosophy papers. Neither the Sceptics nor the Solipsists are given much credence anymore - their viewpoints have been shown as nonsense for millenia.
  • Reply 166 of 196
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

At the risk of sounded trite, I think, therefore I am. I know I exist, It?s everything outside of a base existence that is assumed.

How do you know this 'I' you speak of?
  • Reply 167 of 196
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

But it is a RETINA display. It is the same as your eye. That is why it looks as good as humanly possible, given the way your eye is constructed. If it were any better, it would be impossible to even see the improvements, because it already is as good as the eye is able to see.

'Retina Display' is actually a moniker coined by Apple (not a scientific term) for marketing purposes, and though a 3.5 inch display supporting resolution of 960 x 640 pixels (329.65ppi,0.0771mm pot pitch) is undoubtedly impressively clear, it's not the 'same as the human eye' by any stretch of the imagination.

I specifically supplied the exact numerical values for Apple's technology because it appears that some are suggesting simple pixel-quadrupling automatically equates to four times the pixel density, neglecting to take into consideration is the fact that PPI is a linear measurement and not an area measurement of pixels. The fact is, it would take 16 times the pixels of the previous display to achieve 4 times the PPI on the new one, as PPI is by definition Pixels Per Inch and not Pixels Per Square Inch (PPSI). If it were PPSI, the iPhone 4 would have a PPSI of 106,276.

As far as Apple's claims during the Keynote introduction of the technology, it's obvious that the slides displaying the advantages of this 'Retina Display' were altered in manner to make the technology more impressive than it actually/mathematically is:

Ou goes on to state that, "the evidence above shows that Apple is greatly exaggerating the screen quality of the device. Apple should really correct this."

Note: portions paraphrased from the research of George OU of www.digitalsociatey.org

Moral: Don't Always Fall For Marketing Hype (unless you truly believe the iPad is 'magical')
  • Reply 168 of 196
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The major difference here is that I Actually Own The Things Pictured/Spoken Of, and you're simply being idiotic in some lame attempt at humor or merely lashing out in order to mask your (probable) envy.

)

You gotta love computers ... give someone an internet connection, photoshop and an active imagination and they can "prove" that they own anything in the whole world and can "be" anything their heart desires. ..... Did I mention that I'm a retired astronaut? You gotta love the DaHarders of the world .... we all need a good laugh from time to time.
  • Reply 169 of 196
    Quote:

There are thousands of people paid by all the big tech companies to go to forums and post there. It is a fast-growing industry, and some people make huge amounts of money doing it.

It is a well-known fact. We have had many of them right here, but people always figure it out. Da Harder has now been busted.

Nice Try... But Abject Failure Nonetheless

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You gotta love computers ... give someone an internet connection, photoshop and an active imagination and they can "prove" that they own anything in the whole world and can "be" anything their heart desires. ..... Did I mention that I'm a retired astronaut? You gotta love the DaHarders of the world .... we all need a good laugh from time to time.

Which goes for you too (Unless you consider paranoid delusion a success of some kind)
  • Reply 170 of 196
    Quote:

Nice Try... But Abject Failure Nonetheless

Which goes for you too (Unless you consider paranoid delusion a success of some kind)

The thing is, I'm not the one who, on multiple threads now, has posted pictures of his alleged possesions to prove his claims.

It's been my experience that people that have to display their wealth very seldom have any and are just suffering from a severe inferiority complex. For your own sake .... get help.
  • Reply 171 of 196
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Why would they name a product after a streak of poop?
  • Reply 172 of 196
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The headline of the article you are commenting on makes clear it is a phone. The first sentence of the article says it is a smartphone.

-----------------------

Dell announces Streak tablet phone US launch on Friday

By Josh Ong

Published: 08:50 PM EST

Dell's latest touchscreen tablet-cum-smartphone will take on Apple's iPhone

I've read Dell press release first. There is no mention of the word smartphone or phone in that press release. Talk don't necessarly mean phone since I can talk on my iPod touch and iPad using Skype and other VOIP apps.

Quote:

Dell Creates Choice and Freedom to Talk, Watch, Surf, and Connect with New 5-Inch Tablet

• Reply 173 of 196
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

DesCartes' Cogito is commonly refuted in freshman philosophy papers. Neither the Sceptics nor the Solipsists are given much credence anymore - their viewpoints have been shown as nonsense for millenia.

I see and accept your points, but the underlying ideas behind each are sound and in regards to my screen name it was chosen because of the inherent anonymity of internet forums.
  • Reply 174 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The thing is, I'm not the one who, on multiple threads now, has posted pictures of his alleged possesions to prove his claims.

It's been my experience that people that have to display their wealth very seldom have any and are just suffering from a severe inferiority complex. For your own sake .... get help.

Only when 'challenged' or faced with questions regarding my integrity (which I value above all else) do I post 'pictures of [my] possessions to prove [my] claims'.

If, for whatever reason, it bothers you that much, then there's always the {IGNORE} option, of which I will be making appropriate use about... NOW

Have A Nice Day.
  • Reply 175 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Why would they name a product after a streak of poop?

Similar could be said (and has been) of Apple's unfortunate monicker for its recently released slate/tablet device
  • Reply 176 of 196
    the only 'selling point' this thing has is a 5" screen. which some may want and others care less. lame 2gig storage (oh but you can pay and buy a micro sd card how nice. this was lame on the nexus one too)

no flash support.

1.6 android (way to stay current Dell!)

5mp camera (snore)

one carrier (at&t)

299 dollars with 2 year plan??? more than iphone 4??? stupid.

550 dollars with no carrier.

dell user interface 'enhancements'. ugggh.

unless google comes out with a nice developer phone (nexus 2?) that i can run latest android on then my first android phone (nexus one) may also be my last....
  • Reply 177 of 196
    Quote:

'commonly refuted'? by freshmen? lol

lets hear some of these refutations!

shown as nonsense for millenia?

nonsense!
  • Reply 178 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

'commonly refuted'? by freshmen? lol

lets hear some of these refutations!

shown as nonsense for millenia?

nonsense!

It appears that the point being made was that DesCartes' Cogito is so easily refuted that even freshmen are successfully doing it.

So Now You Know...
  • Reply 179 of 196
    Quote:

Neither the Sceptics nor the Solipsists..

What about the Antisceptics? Do these sceptics live in a sceptic tank? Scientists and scions need scenic answers!

Never mind, I'm late taking my meds...
  • Reply 180 of 196
    Quote:

Only when 'challenged' or faced with questions regarding my integrity (which I value above all else) do I post 'pictures of [my] possessions to prove [my] claims'.

If, for whatever reason, it bothers you that much, then there's always the {IGNORE} option, of which I will be making appropriate use about... NOW

Have A Nice Day.

If you can't beat them .... ignore them.