Book listing claims Apple's iLife '11 will be 64-bit, iOS compatible

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I have used iDVD, even if it's not something that lots of folks use. Hold on to your hat for another news flash: I use GarageBand a lot too. That doesn't mean I want Apple to abandon it.

If they don't want to upgrade it, that's fine but why kill it? Do you think the whole world is ready to throw out their optical media and buy Apple TV's?

Just because the community here is ready to embrace the walled garden iOS goodness of Apple TV and watch what Apple and Netflix wants you to watch doesn't mean normal people in the real world are.

I may be making a soda jerk reaction, but this rumor sounds EXACTLY like what Steve Jobs would mandate.

If Apple decides to stop including iDVD in iLife, then they have decided to discontinue upgrades. The version you own will continue to work. What are you so upset about?
  • Reply 62 of 144
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Agree. The new QuickTime doesn't as much as the old pro version. Why not?

I argue that Quicktime X is a totally different app given:

1) it has not been ported over to windows

2) They still distribute the older version and they actually updated it slightly.

Quicktime 7 is not and, I argue, far from dead.
  • Reply 63 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

How are those floppies working for ya?

Unfair comparison. How many people have a floppy drive? I do on my old PC. But most don't. And it was an unreliable format. And they didn't get rid of floppys until after CD's existed.

How many people have a DVD player today? More than a few I'll bet.

I keep asking, but I'll ask again. You make a one hour HD movie. How are you going to distribute it? And before you say it, what about people who don't have a computer? Or don't have broadband? Or don't have wireless N networking?

There are different types of people on the earth, not everybody is a tech head. Only we are in the Apple Insider family of friends.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    Quote:

I keep asking, but I'll ask again. You make a one hour HD movie. How are you going to distribute it? And before you say it, what about people who don't have a computer? Or don't have broadband? Or don't have wireless N networking?.

You would use any of the third party DVD applications like Toast that do a better job than iDVD - assuming that Disc Burning is not migrated into iMovie or iPhoto.

Heck, we son;t know if this rumor has any basis here. Amazon placeholders are not reliable sources whatsoever - and this is a verbatim placeholder from several months ago from a french website.

Remember that new version of Aperture called Aperture X that was on Amazon that was not called that?
  • Reply 65 of 144
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I am soooo TIRED of peeps having NO CLUE. I want to SLAP people SILLY!!!

Honestly... Apple DOES support Blu-Ray (reference the compressor app). The only issue here is that you cannot PLAY blu-ray movies... which is silly in and of itself since you can author blu-ray.

Follow this link to Apple's "What's New" page and search for blu-ray. I will let you discover other official references on your own.
  • Reply 66 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Annnnnnnd another thread ruin by Blackintosh. He’s surely made this week’s quota on this one thread alone. ...

Yep. At the time I'm writing this, there are 64 posts, 40 of which are Blackintosh or people responding to his angry posts (62% of the thread). What a waste.

One should probably know one is a troll when 12 posts in a row are yourself arguing with the rest of the forum. I'm pretty shameless but even I would hesitate at that point.
  • Reply 67 of 144
    [QUOTE=rivertrip;1726252 What are you so upset about?[/QUOTE]

The arrogance of the company to decide to kill something before it's time. I mentioned firewire earlier. Yes, it's a rumor, but if you listen to Steve Jobs in various interviews, clearly he hates DVD's. The keynote when he introduced the first aluminum iMac is a great example.

This company has a trend of making their customers conform to certain things that I find extremely bizarre.

You want to use the most popular mobile phone on the planet? Become an ATT customer. Want an iPad with 3G? You must use ATT. Want to surf the web? You must use safari. And NO Flash for you sir! Want to advertise on the iPhone? You must use iAd. (they backed off on this one a bit.)

Apple is still a player in a whole world of players. They used to get along when they were down and out. Now they want to steer the world. I have cited various examples in my previous posts that I highly recommend reading. I find this attitude bizarre and I can only assume it's some kinda aftermath of Steve Jobs' two near death health encounters.

I think the guy needs to have a nice steak dinner, check his meds and leave the world alone with their optical media. Cripes, Steve, you don't have to reinvent the wheel every day ya know!
  • Reply 68 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

You would use any of the third party DVD applications like Toast that do a better job than iDVD - assuming that Disc Burning is not migrated into iMovie or iPhoto.

One of the things that won me over to the Mac was the seamless integration of the software. My first Mac encounter was at the SOHO Apple Store. I was in the theatre in the back watching a presentation on Tiger and iLife. I loved it and thought it was great. There was nothing like it on the Windows side. One application communicated with the other. Browser windows to import content like music and photos right in to iMovie. Brilliant. And when your done, send the whole thing over to iDVD.

Yeah, you can use third party stuff, but it was so easy and elegant the old way. And who's going to use third party stuff? My Mom? My wife? Grandma? The high order bit of the Mac was that it was easy peezy to use. Hate to see that go away.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yep. At the time I'm writing this, there are 64 posts, 40 of which are Blackintosh or people responding to his angry posts (62% of the thread). What a waste.

One should probably know one is a troll when 12 posts in a row are yourself arguing with the rest of the forum. I'm pretty shameless but even I would hesitate at that point.

Instead of attacking me, or teaming up with solosim (whatever) to attack me, why don't you respond to my points? Discuss it with me. Try to persuade me to your way of thinking. Keep it civil.

Just because I don't agree with you're point of view doesn't make me a troll. Everyone is entitled to an opinion here. Even you sir.
  • Reply 70 of 144
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

We went from vinyl to 8 track and cassette over 60 years.

We went from cassette to CD over 10 years.

We went from CD to Digital audio tracks in 5

We went from standard CRT televisions to flat screen over 40 years

We've gone from flat screen to HD in under 10 years.

We've gone from HD to 3D Super HD in under 5.

While I agree with your principle, especially given who you're arguing with, these things didn't happen in the timeframe you're suggesting, and didn't evolve in the way you suggest either.

CD really evolved from Vinyl, not from cassette, and the CD came out in 1983-ish and was popular by the end of the 1980's. It killed off vinyl and cassettes within 10 years, because the record companies pushed it so hard and also because cassette quality was woeful. MP3s/AACs as a 'major' distribution format, didn't really take off until 2005 or so (when iTunes became the number 5 seller in the US) but had been around for almost 10 years, and CDs are still a lot more prevalent now than vinyls were in 1995. It's taking longer to 'replace' formats than previously, even though they're coming out more frequently.

DVDs are similar - they took around 5 or 6 years to virtually kill VHS, but Blu-Ray will probably never completely kill DVD. Why? Because while even someone with chronic eye problems can appreciate the difference between a VHS quality movie and even an average DVD on a 14 inch TV; getting the full effect of Blu-Ray requires a lot more investment - a 40 inch screen for a start. An upscaled DVD on high-quality equipment will probably look virtually as good as a Blu-Ray movie on a $99 Walmart player and a $300 720p TV from Best Buy.

As for HD to 3D Super HD, that has barely started. You're comparing complete transitions (Vinyl to CD) with partial ones (SD to HD and HD to 3D) or DVD to Blu-Ray.

I'm making this point, because this is exactly the issue with these types of arguments. While a tiny fraction of people still use LPs, many people still buy CDs, even those of us with iPods. HD has barely taken hold, and it's in many standards (720p, 1080i, 1080p) and a lot of 'HD' isn't High Definition at all - we're going to be faced with a decade or so of having no standards. When Hulu calls 1.5MB streaming 'HD', it's hardly surprising no one can appreciate that 45MB/sec Blu-Ray movies are in a completely different league, if they're also called 'HD'.
  • Reply 71 of 144
    Quote:

Instead of attacking me, or teaming up with solosim (whatever) to attack me, why don't you respond to my points? Discuss it with me. Try to persuade me to your way of thinking. Keep it civil.

Just because I don't agree with you're point of view doesn't make me a troll. Everyone is entitled to an opinion here. Even you sir.

Your points seem to change too often for me to bother although I agree your later posts are much more reasoned.

I just personally find it offensive the way you jump out at the beginning of many threads with some nasty comment that gets everyone mad that are also simply wrong and based on nothing. Then everyone gets mad and attacks you, and you change the grounds of the debate, claim you didn't say/mean what you said etc.

Sure you're making *some* reasonable points in the later posts (I still disagree), but you *did* (IMO of course) "ruin the thread" as you have many others. It discourages others from even posting when they see 10 or twelve posts in a row from you.

If it were a real life situation instead of a forum, it's sort of the equivalent of starting an argument with someone by walking up to them and saying "f*ck you," then getting upset that no one is listening to you later on when your trying to make some kind of sense. The "f*ck you" sets the tone for everything that happens later on.
  • Reply 72 of 144
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Unfair comparison. How many people have a floppy drive? I do on my old PC. But most don't. And it was an unreliable format. And they didn't get rid of floppys until after CD's existed.

How many people have a DVD player today? More than a few I'll bet.

I keep asking, but I'll ask again. You make a one hour HD movie. How are you going to distribute it? And before you say it, what about people who don't have a computer? Or don't have broadband? Or don't have wireless N networking?

There are different types of people on the earth, not everybody is a tech head. Only we are in the Apple Insider family of friends.

Well, you'll have a job distributing that HD movie on DVD; what with it's max resolution being 576 (on PAL, less on NTSC). Unless this is your argument for including iBD (or whatever a Blu-Ray version of iDVD would be called).

I do think you're getting your knickers in a twist, though. As per QuickTime and iMovie, Apple will almost certainly make the old version of iDVD available as a free download. They simply have no interest in wasting developer and support resource on it. DVDs don't play well with the rest of the Apple ecosystem, so doesn't form part of their strategic thinking. Same goes for any sort of upgrade to Blu-Ray. Let's face it, the intersection of households with HD televisions and BD players with those households with no broadband Internet is probably pretty small.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    Quote:

One of the things that won me over to the Mac was the seamless integration of the software. My first Mac encounter was at the SOHO Apple Store. I was in the theatre in the back watching a presentation on Tiger and iLife. I loved it and thought it was great. There was nothing like it on the Windows side. One application communicated with the other. Browser windows to import content like music and photos right in to iMovie. Brilliant. And when your done, send the whole thing over to iDVD.

Yeah, you can use third party stuff, but it was so easy and elegant the old way. And who's going to use third party stuff? My Mom? My wife? Grandma? The high order bit of the Mac was that it was easy peezy to use. Hate to see that go away.

And you assume that it will go away. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that this is even remotely the case. Seriously, you are going way overboard on an amazon placeholder that is in no way indicative of anything authoritative.
  • Reply 74 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am hoping iWeb will be the biggest news once released. I really, really hope it can spit out iPad, iPhone and Mac compliant alternatives automatically.

Amen, Amen I say to you.

Also, some provision to add "alt tags" so that pages are compliant with access laws for the disabled. Big problem for teachers with class sites.
  • Reply 75 of 144
    I am looking forward to see iLife running on my iPad. With iWork they did such a great job. As for the iDVD dropout I really don't care. It was the least interesting feature in iLife. There won't be many people missing it. That's probably the reason, why they will eventually discontinue this application.
  • Reply 76 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

64 bit apps tend to be universal - they would have to be for iLife since most of the macs boot into 32-bit.

To add to this, I would expect the next version of Mac OS X to be Intel 64-bit ONLY, thus excluding the short lived CoreDuo and CoreSolo machines. After that I would expect Apple to drop support for 32-bit systems.

Quote:

I am pretty sure that is already possible anyway - I thought that iPhoto has some DVD creation built in. I would have to check to make sure. If it wasn't already they would just add it in.

And even if Apple doesn?t offer any DVD creation software that doesn?t mean one won?t be able to use a 3rd-party app.

PS: There is an odd disconnect from the ?trolls? I?ve noticed over the years on tech forums. The ones that hate Apple the most always say they own everything from Apple and are the first ones to suggest that if Apple doesn?t offer it then it must be obsolete instead of just being an area of business that Apple doesn?t wish to pursue. It?s quite odd. There will be a niche market for DVD authoring for many, many years to come so one can buy that software, Toast is quite nice, and when Apple finally removes the DVD drives from notebooks one can always get an external if they need it or buy a different brand of computer. There is no one twisting their arm that they have to buy Apple and throw away all their previous DVDs if Apple doesn?t directly support something, yet that is how they view every situation. Surely this must be ?trolling" as they can?t be that disconnected from reality. I use the word ?troll? as it?s the nicer of the titles that come to mind.
  • Reply 77 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I am looking forward to see iLife running on my iPad. With iWork they did such a great job. As for the iDVD dropout I really don't care. It was the least interesting feature in iLife. There won't be many people missing it. That's probably the reason, why they will eventually discontinue this application.

That would be interesting. I wonder if it will be $10 per app like with iWork.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's leapfrogged the who Bly Ray situation expertly. We're moving to streaming. Are you going to be left behind?

In the U.S. We don't have the infrastructure for streaming to Everyone. And it certainly is not robust enough for 1080p.

And remember Ap,le is having a devil of a time with getting the cooperation of tv tv networks.
  • Reply 79 of 144
    Quote:

Look, I hate to be so negative, but when Apple does something STUPID I'm going to call them out on it.

If that were true you wouldn't have a problem here. The fact is that you consistently find (or trump up) something negative to say about Apple no matter how positive the article.

You don't "hate to be so negative," you thrive on it. Be honest, please. The record of your posts is clear. Overwhelmingly they slam Apple or defend you against people who object.
  • Reply 80 of 144
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

No, it's not forward thinking. iMovie HD in 2006 was forward thinking.

Go ahead and buy a HD camcorder, make a movie with iLife and now what are you supposed to do with it? Upload it to Mobile Me and share it with family that might not have broadband?

Hey Grandpa, download this movie this weekend while your out of town and it might be finished by Monday morning. This is assuming Grandpa HAS a computer in the first place.

DVD's are perfect for sharing with non tech people, the kind that don't visit this forum. Not everyone thinks like the community here, thank goodness.

As far as Blu Ray being outdated in a couple of years, I agree with you. You see, I have a blu ray player and whenever I adopt a new format it gets killed within four years. Betamax, VHS, VHS-C, 8MM, Hi-8, Toshiba Hi Def. The last one I killed in less than a month!!

I hate to say it, but I totally agree that non tech people need the DVD. Not everyone can use streaming.