Book listing claims Apple's iLife '11 will be 64-bit, iOS compatible

Comments

• Reply 121 of 144
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm hoping iWeb has some options for publishing a database-driven website. That's a nut no WYSIWYG app has really cracked yet.

But would Apple work with WordPress? That would be the easiest and most popular right?
  • Reply 122 of 144
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.

I just got done digitizing my library of movies (about 350 DVDs) into iTunes for transfer onto iPhones & iPads as well as streaming to my household TVs via Apple TV. My DVDs have officially been moved into a box that is stored in my garage. I don't think I'll open that box again, and I see this as a good thing. It won't be long before I stop purchasing movies on physical media altogether.

Poor Blu Ray. It seems that by the time it won the battle of standards with HD-DVD, it is already fighting a battle of obsolescence. Surely you recognize that this is the ultimate result, right? It's just a question of when. I realize that Blu Ray is of highest quality, but the difference is not important to most people, and even that difference will soon disappear. So personally, I am glad that Apple and a few others are pushing the envelope for digital distribution here. If nobody pushed, we'd stay stuck.

Thompson
  • Reply 123 of 144
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I realize that Blu Ray is of highest quality, but the difference is not important to most people, and even that difference will soon disappear. So personally, I am glad that Apple and a few others are pushing the envelope for digital distribution here. If nobody pushed, we'd stay stuck.

Thompson

I just wish they didn't keep pushing backwards in terms of quality. We went from uncompressed PCM on CD to 128k and now 256kbps AAC/MP3 files. Now they would have us "settle" for 720p when we've had a taste of what really good video can look like, and all for the sake of convenience. I just hope they come up with a way to stream Blu-ray quality movies before it goes the way of the laserdisc.
  • Reply 124 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muncie View Post

So... Will the 64-bit version of iWeb be going with a woodgrain background?

And the minimize/maximize buttons will probably be on the bottom right this time.
  • Reply 125 of 144
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

When was the last time you burned a DVD using iDVD? I'd imaging burning support will be dropped into iMovie...

I use the iMovie & iDVD combo most of the time --currently every day (but am finally learning Final Cut Express -- which I've owned for years). Folding these two together would be fine by me... but eliminating it -- well, it's a bit early to totally get rid of it... give it a least another year or so.
  • Reply 126 of 144
    Quote:

I just got done digitizing my library of movies (about 350 DVDs) into iTunes for transfer onto iPhones & iPads as well as streaming to my household TVs via Apple TV. My DVDs have officially been moved into a box that is stored in my garage.

Thompson

Before Apple kills off DVD's, they need to ask themselves how many users are going to do what you did. If that is the requirement for killing off DVD's I say it's not going to happen anytime soon.
  • Reply 127 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I just wish they didn't keep pushing backwards in terms of quality. We went from uncompressed PCM on CD to 128k and now 256kbps AAC/MP3 files. Now Apple would have us "settle" for 720p when we've had a taste of what really good video can look like, and all for the sake of convenience. I just hope they come up with a way to stream Blu-ray quality movies before it goes the way of the laserdisc.

Why can?t like business models ever be compared on this site?

iTunes Store media and the AppleTV aren?t designed to be the answer to Blu-ray?s HiP 1080p content. If it was they would have included a HiP 1080p H.264 decoder and offered content.

But does it makes sense for Apple to stream unaltered 50GB Blu-ray content to your home over the internet? That is so far from convenient that it?s absurd on the face of it.

What Apple is offering is surprisingly unclear though I?d expect it should be crystal. If you want content quickly and easier via iTunes, your iDevice or your AppleTV then the iTunes Store has a possible solution for you, BUT APPLE ISN?T SAYING IT?S THE ONLY SOLUTION THERE IS.

If you look at their direct competition it?s other streaming and internet download services. Things that are now on the XBOX, PS3, Ruku. To a less extent it?s competing with your cable?/at?s streaming service. If you aren?t a heavy TV user the iTS has an option for you that could save you movie and give you better quality than your cable/sat?s content. The very last competitor is optical media.

BTW, there is a lot more streaming going on these days than watching via ODDs. Even Netflix is showing a huge jump in streaming. This is the future. ODDs own limitations are itself. Are you people coming down on XBOX for not offering a Blu-ray Player? How about Roku?

Why is okay for every other company to focus on the tech they feel is the most beneficial to their future profits, but when it comes to Apple all of a sudden if they don?t support it then it mean you aren?t allowed to use it? What is to fear from not buying all your products from Apple if they don?t suit your needs? Is it that they have shown time and time again that if they leave a tech behind or never support it that it does mean it?s EOL even though the market itself doesn?t realize it and that tech world will eventually line up behind them?

I bet Steve Jobs has Blu-ray players in his house. It is, after all, the best way to watch Pixar films on the big screen, but that doesn?t mean that the company he runs should be forced to put them in every Mac at $500+ premium for a 9.5mm slot-loading drive and be forced to add iBlu-ray player to iLIfe.
  • Reply 128 of 144
    Quote:

Why? Because Steve Jobs said so? Who is behind Blu Ray? Sony. They were a player in the home entertainment market loooong before Apple was. Are they insignificant now? Does Steve Jobs steer the home entertainment market now?

This has nothing to do with Steve Jobs, or anyone else in particular. The simple fact is that when the technology is available that allows us to call up our entertainment on demand with the simple touch of a remote control, the only thing extending the life of Blu ray, or any other physical media, for that matter, will be the politics of money, and the revenue streams that need to get reconstructed.

Guess what. We are headed into that money politics phase now. Blu Ray will never reach as much a mainstream as the DVD has regardless. Given that the main differentiation between those two methods and technologies is the picture quality, most people don't see the point to changing their current equipment.

Thompson
  • Reply 129 of 144
    Quote:

Before Apple kills off DVD's, they need to ask themselves how many users are going to do what you did. If that is the requirement for killing off DVD's I say it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Not many users are going to do what I did. That's true. I expect there'll be need for DVD players for years to come. However, the time is approaching at which most people no longer need to purchase new DVDs. I haven't purchased a DVD in over three months now, because I already had my iPhones, iPads, and a Mac Mini attached to my big screen. All of my entertainment purchases have gone to digital lately, but I'm not convinced everything I might want will be available in digital format in time to meet my desires.

If you are still purchasing physical media 5 years from now, it'll be either a special case scenario (like you are a videophile) or it'll simply be quaint.

Thompson
  • Reply 130 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Now Apple would have us "settle" for 720p when we've had a taste of what really good video can look like, and all for the sake of convenience. I just hope they come up with a way to stream Blu-ray quality movies before it goes the way of the laserdisc.

Rob,

Yes, I agree that 720 doesn't hold a candle to "really good video", but for the majority of my viewing, what you call "the sake of convenience" trumps the difference. But I recognize that there is a market for Blu-ray quality, both to rent or to own. I believe that what you suggest here is true: since there is a market for Blu-ray quality content, the Blu-ray disk won't disappear before its more convenient, but equivalent quality, replacement comes along.

Thompson
  • Reply 131 of 144
    Wow, this is amazing. People have debated whether the DVD is going to go the way of the Dodo in this thread, without looking at the obvious. Let's look at some of the facts that are known:
    1. iDVD hasn't been updated in over 3 years, an enternity in the software business.

2. Apple has been all about trying to simplify things.

3. The world as a whole has been using more of the internet for movies and pictures.

Now, I am not saying that they are killing off DVD burning. Take a look at your machine. The vast majority of Mac users with relatively current machines have DVD burning capability in it. However, like someone else has said, it is archaic and big (sorry, can't remember your name). Will it go away, eventually. However, the DVD isn't going anywhere for at least 5 years.

Will iDVD still be around, no I think its days are done. I do think that they will incorporate it into iMovie, which is where you are at when you are making your movie. I am certain that they can meld the capabilities into iMovie, make it easier to use (sorry, I always thought iDVD was kludgy at best), and maybe (just maybe) speed up the pre-flight part of it; after-all you can't speed up the hardware with software generally.
  • Reply 132 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Rob,

Yes, I agree that 720 doesn't hold a candle to "really good video", but for the majority of my viewing, what you call "the sake of convenience" trumps the difference. But I recognize that there is a market for Blu-ray quality, both to rent or to own. I believe that what you suggest here is true: since there is a market for Blu-ray quality content, the Blu-ray disk won't disappear before its more convenient, but equivalent quality, replacement comes along.

Thompson

Unless we can find people that say, ?No, I don?t pay for or watch cable/sat, I wait a year for the Blu-ray of the season to arrive so I can have the best quality.?, then I think that convenience plays a very important and vital role in people?s viewing habits.
  • Reply 133 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unless we can find people that say, ?No, I don?t pay for or watch cable/sat, I wait a year for the Blu-ray of the season to arrive so I can have the best quality.?, then I think that convenience plays a very important and vital role in people?s viewing habits.

Yes, for most people convenience trumps having the most awesome quality, especially when it comes to something like a weekly running show. If I happened to have a Blu-ray player right now, there are a few movie titles that I might purchase in that format, because part of the experience is a visual feast (e.g. Avatar, Star Trek, The Matrix, etc). Most other movies, just give me a decent quality movie so I can digest the story and move on.

Thompson
  • Reply 134 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Wow, this is amazing. People have debated whether the DVD is going to go the way of the Dodo in this thread, without looking at the obvious. Let's look at some of the facts that are known:
    1. iDVD hasn't been updated in over 3 years, an enternity in the software business.

2. Apple has been all about trying to simplify things.

3. The world as a whole has been using more of the internet for movies and pictures.

Now, I am not saying that they are killing off DVD burning. Take a look at your machine. The vast majority of Mac users with relatively current machines have DVD burning capability in it. However, like someone else has said, it is archaic and big (sorry, can't remember your name). Will it go away, eventually. However, the DVD isn't going anywhere for at least 5 years.

Will iDVD still be around, no I think its days are done. I do think that they will incorporate it into iMovie, which is where you are at when you are making your movie. I am certain that they can meld the capabilities into iMovie, make it easier to use (sorry, I always thought iDVD was kludgy at best), and maybe (just maybe) speed up the pre-flight part of it; after-all you can't speed up the hardware with software generally.

I agree with your observations here. Regarding the debate on DVD obsolescence... well that's just an example of us going off on a "Blackintosh" tangent. He's an old pro at moving topics sideways instead of forward. And sometimes, I bite.

Thompson
  • Reply 135 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder what the usefulness of bringing iWeb to iOS is? Maybe some people would design the the occasional web content on the iPad, but it's hard to see it being a popular task on the iPhone or iPod Touch. An iOS Garageband would be interesting, although it could feel gimmicky if not done right.

Speak for yourself. I use iWeb all the time and having an iOS version on my iPad will be a massive benefit to me. In fact that's really the only app that I keep using on my MacBook Pro. An iPad version would reduce my reliance on my laptop entirely.

Something tells me iLife 10 won't be released until November when all the devices will be on the same version of iOS.
  • Reply 136 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

When was the last time you burned a DVD using iDVD? I'd imaging burning support will be dropped into iMovie.

If it's moved into iMovie, then it's not much of an issue for me. Although, the Themes are useful. If they drop burning DVD support it's a disappointment.

I have an Apple TV and have converted some DVDs to play directly on the Apple TV in order to avoid my children leaving the DVDs out. My long term goal is to go all-digital, no books, CDs or DVDs, except for some BluRay movies where I want the best possible picture.

However, I recently needed to use iDVD. I made a tribute movie to play after a funeral. Several relatives requested copies so they could watch.

Another reason I use iDVD is for relatives that live abroad that don't have access to high speed net connections. We send home movie DVDs to them.

So while authoring DVDs isn't as necessary now, it's still useful for many home/business users.
  • Reply 137 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's leapfrogged the who Bly Ray situation expertly. We're moving to streaming. Are you going to be left behind?

It's true! That tiny minority of people who bought 1080p HD TVs actually made a huge mistake! The future is streaming in glorious 720p, until 2014, when 1080p streaming will come to the AppleTV 4.0! Of course, that's assuming your internet provider can give you 20MBPs internet, and you'd like to add the additional cost to your cable bill.

And naturally, folks who dish out for 3D setups in the next 7 years are even further left behind, but don't worry - once 60 MBPs internet connections are prevalent, Apple will of course add that functionality to the AppleTV 7.0 in 2018.

Now, please tell me how the human eye can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p anyways, and also how 3D is just a novelty.
  • Reply 138 of 144
    So, if it's entirely 64-bits, then how's it going to be available for iOS devices?
  • Reply 139 of 144
    Quote:

Why can’t like business models ever be compared on this site?

I wasn't necessarily trying to compare business models per se. I happened to use Apple as an example, but I could just as easily have used Netflix or whatever. My main point wasn't about that, but rather about how we, as consumers, will often settle for less for the sake of convenience and how that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Quote:

But does it makes sense for Apple to stream unaltered 50GB Blu-ray content to your home over the internet? That is so far from convenient that it’s absurd on the face of it.

I never suggested this either. It goes without saying that unaltered 50GB BR content would be exceedingly impractical to stream. What I said was that I hoped they'd come up with a viable way to stream blu-ray quality before it went the way of the laserdisc.

Quote:

BTW, there is a lot more streaming going on these days than watching via ODDs. Even Netflix is showing a huge jump in streaming. This is the future. ODDs own limitations are itself. Are you people coming down on XBOX for not offering a Blu-ray Player? How about Roku?

Ok, now you're just putting words in my mouth. I obviously realize that streaming (or downloading) is the future. And when did hoping they come up with a viable means of streaming BR quality content turn into coming down on XBOX and Roku for not offering a BR player?

Quote:

Why is okay for every other company to focus on the tech they feel is the most beneficial to their future profits, but when it comes to Apple all of a sudden if they don’t support it then it mean you aren’t allowed to use it?

Again, I didn't mean to suggest this. If you re-read my original post, just replace "Apple" with "they". As a matter of fact, I'll go and change my post so it reads that way.

Quote:

I bet Steve Jobs has Blu-ray players in his house. It is, after all, the best way to watch Pixar films on the big screen, but that doesn’t mean that the company he runs should be forced to put them in every Mac at $500+ premium for a 9.5mm slot-loading drive and be forced to add iBlu-ray player to iLIfe.

You're probably right, as I'm sure he does. Believe it or not, I agree with you and the things you outlined in your reply. The only thing that bugs me is when people suggest that streaming (at the quality levels available today) IS a replacement for physical media and BR specifically. I'd like to think that both can coexist until such a time as they come up with a way to effectively stream BR quality (whenever that will be). I'd like to believe that now that they've given us a taste of really high quality, they're not just going to settle for whatever quality streaming can currently be sustained at. You'll forgive me for being skeptical, though, as past experience tells me to be.
  • Reply 140 of 144
    Quote:

Yes, for most people convenience trumps having the most awesome quality, especially when it comes to something like a weekly running show. If I happened to have a Blu-ray player right now, there are a few movie titles that I might purchase in that format, because part of the experience is a visual feast (e.g. Avatar, Star Trek, The Matrix, etc). Most other movies, just give me a decent quality movie so I can digest the story and move on.

Thompson

I, too, am much more selective with what I buy on Blu-ray (or even DVD for that matter). There was a time when I would buy almost every "A-list" title I was even remotely interested in. These days, I'll still buy my favorite titles, but I'll only rent (or stream) everything else.