Book listing claims Apple's iLife '11 will be 64-bit, iOS compatible

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A description for a forthcoming book on iLife '11 says that Apple's forthcoming software suite will be entirely in 64 bits, include a rewritten iWeb, will ditch iDVD, and will also be available for iOS devices.



Amazon's German site has a listing for a book entitled "iLife 11: Digital pictures, movies, music and more," set for release in December 2010. It states that iPhoto will become integrated with social networks, iWeb will be "completely rewritten," and it will not include iDVD.



The listing also states there is "still a new application," but does not state what it is, suggesting the description might simply be based on rumors. In July, it was alleged that the next version of iLife would be 64-bit and would include a "mystery application," though it was also incorrectly reported the software would launch in August.



The German book's cover reads "iPhoto, iMovie and more, with Apps for Mac, iPhone 4, iPod and iPad," which could mean that the next version of iLife could also become available on iOS devices. Apple's other software suite, iWork, was released for iPad earlier this year in the form of three separate applications for $10 each: Pages, Keynote and Numbers.



The book is set to be penned by Uwe Nerger, who has no other published titles to his credit. He is co-author of another Apple-centric book coming out in November 2010 entitled "Mac Education."



In September, a family pack for iLife '11 was spotted for sale on Amazon's U.S. website. The product sold for $99 and was given an Amazon Standard Identification Number.







The iLife suite currently includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb and iDVD. The software is included on every new Mac. The last update, iLife '09, launched in January of 2009, with major upgrades to all of its applications, including the Faces and Places features in iPhoto, and the addition of the Precision Editor to iMovie.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 144
    shogunshogun Posts: 361member
    I don't think this suite will go more than two years without an update, so a guess of any time up to January is pretty likely to be correct... And more likely by the day as the time span between now and then shortens.
  • Reply 2 of 144
    Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.
  • Reply 3 of 144
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.



    Lead, follow or get out of the way
  • Reply 4 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.



    Adobe Premiere Elements will do all of this , including BluRay authoring right in the application. If iLife doesn't do what you want, go to another app that will. If Apple does not support BluRay, they will learn the hard way which HAS happened before.
  • Reply 5 of 144
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,746member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.



    Apple's leapfrogged the who Bly Ray situation expertly. We're moving to streaming. Are you going to be left behind?
  • Reply 6 of 144
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.



    You do know that iDVD is for MAKING DVDs NOT playing them?
  • Reply 7 of 144
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,471member
    I am hoping iWeb will be the biggest news once released. I really, really hope it can spit out iPad, iPhone and Mac compliant alternatives automatically.
  • Reply 8 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Apple's leapfrogged the who Bly Ray situation expertly. We're moving to streaming. Are you going to be left behind?



    Consumers... MAYBE.. but Professionals (As in Movie industry).. NO. It will be a huge mistake if Final Cut does not more aggressively support BluRay. That can't happen unless Apple supports it in a broader sense.
  • Reply 9 of 144
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post


    Consumers... MAYBE.. but Professionals (As in Movie industry).. NO. It will be a huge mistake if Final Cut does not more aggressively support BluRay. That can't happen unless Apple supports it in a broader sense.



    Are you sure we talking about iLife now, which is designed for the amateurs rather than professionals?
  • Reply 10 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.



    iDVD has nothing to do with your collection of DVD movies, or your player. You are making yet another knee-jerk reaction to something you don't know anything about without thinking, looking anything up, or even stopping for a breath.



    I'd bet you haven't even used iDVD. Most people haven't. I work with iLife day in and day out and the number of people that actually need and use the iDVD part is tiny. Even if you don't believe that discs are on the way out, iDVD is not something that a lot of folks use.
  • Reply 11 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Apple's leapfrogged the who Bly Ray situation expertly. We're moving to streaming. Are you going to be left behind?



    You aren't serious, are you?
  • Reply 12 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post


    You do know that iDVD is for MAKING DVDs NOT playing them?



    Yes, I am aware, more so than most here.



    What's the point of making a boring home movie if you can't torture your relatives with it when you visit?
  • Reply 13 of 144
    I wonder what the usefulness of bringing iWeb to iOS is? Maybe some people would design the the occasional web content on the iPad, but it's hard to see it being a popular task on the iPhone or iPod Touch. An iOS Garageband would be interesting, although it could feel gimmicky if not done right.
  • Reply 14 of 144
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Ditch iDVD and provide no Blu Ray support. Very forward thinking. I guess I'll just throw out my library of movies and my player because Apple says it's time.



    When was the last time you burned a DVD using iDVD? I'd imaging burning support will be dropped into iMovie. Why dump you collection of blu-rays? Apple isn't saying blu-ray doesn't have it's place, just that the history of blu-ray will be short-lived and it has no real place on a computer. You have a choice as a consumer.



    This is forward thinking. HD is about to replaced with super HD and 3D screen technology, blu-ray can't support 4096, so in a couple of years when this becomes the standard, digital delivery or media on SD cards will probably be the norm. No point adopting a technology which fundamentally changes the hardware and software configuration on a product when the shelf life will be extremely limited.
  • Reply 15 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    iDVD has nothing to do with your collection of DVD movies, or your player. You are making yet another knee-jerk reaction to something you don't know anything about without thinking, looking anything up, or even stopping for a breath.



    I'd bet you haven't even used iDVD. Most people haven't. I work with iLife day in and day out and the number of people that actually need and use the iDVD part is tiny. Even if you don't believe that discs are on the way out, iDVD is not something that a lot of folks use.



    I have used iDVD, even if it's not something that lots of folks use. Hold on to your hat for another news flash: I use GarageBand a lot too. That doesn't mean I want Apple to abandon it.



    If they don't want to upgrade it, that's fine but why kill it? Do you think the whole world is ready to throw out their optical media and buy Apple TV's?



    Just because the community here is ready to embrace the walled garden iOS goodness of Apple TV and watch what Apple and Netflix wants you to watch doesn't mean normal people in the real world are.



    I may be making a soda jerk reaction, but this rumor sounds EXACTLY like what Steve Jobs would mandate.
  • Reply 16 of 144
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post


    Adobe Premiere Elements will do all of this , including BluRay authoring right in the application. If iLife doesn't do what you want, go to another app that will. If Apple does not support BluRay, they will learn the hard way which HAS happened before.



    Care to give an example of this "hard way" of learning? I saw apple drop the floppy disc, drop ADB and other serial ports for USB, they'll soon drop the optical drive. Haven't seem them back step yet.
  • Reply 17 of 144
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    I have used iDVD, even if it's not something that lots of folks use. Hold on to your hat for another news flash: I use GarageBand a lot too. That doesn't mean I want Apple to abandon it.



    If they don't want to upgrade it, that's fine but why kill it? Do you think the whole world is ready to throw out their optical media and buy Apple TV's?



    Just because the community here is ready to embrace the walled garden iOS goodness of Apple TV and watch what Apple and Netflix wants you to watch doesn't mean normal people in the real world are.



    I may be making a soda jerk reaction, but this rumor sounds EXACTLY like what Steve Jobs would mandate.



    iDVD is too limited in what it does, that functionality can easily be slotted into iMovie with an export to DVD option, having a separate application for a niche function is pretty pointless.
  • Reply 18 of 144
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    What's the point of making a boring home movie if you can't torture your relatives with it when you visit?



    You still can - iDVD does not do any DVD playback - that is a completely different application.
  • Reply 19 of 144
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post


    Consumers... MAYBE.. but Professionals (As in Movie industry).. NO. It will be a huge mistake if Final Cut does not more aggressively support BluRay. That can't happen unless Apple supports it in a broader sense.



    We're not talking about final cut, we're talking about consumer level fun ware, not professional creation tools. The future of HD media is not blu-ray.
  • Reply 20 of 144
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Yes, I am aware, more so than most here.



    What's the point of making a boring home movie if you can't torture your relatives with it when you visit?



    lol - you've really missed the boat haven't you.



    You show them on your shiny 27" screen, or stream to your apple TV, why wait four hours for it to burn to DVD?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    I have used iDVD, even if it's not something that lots of folks use. Hold on to your hat for another news flash: I use GarageBand a lot too. That doesn't mean I want Apple to abandon it.



    If they don't want to upgrade it, that's fine but why kill it? Do you think the whole world is ready to throw out their optical media and buy Apple TV's?



    Just because the community here is ready to embrace the walled garden iOS goodness of Apple TV and watch what Apple and Netflix wants you to watch doesn't mean normal people in the real world are.



    I may be making a soda jerk reaction, but this rumor sounds EXACTLY like what Steve Jobs would mandate.





    Whose talking about dropping Garageband? Did I miss that. It's fun and has nothing to do with the redundant, boring blu-ray 'debate'. Apple aren't going to support it. Ever. So get over it, or buy a different computer. iDVD isn't being "killed" - it's not about to be deleted from your apps folder and is supported on the intel platform, so it can sit gathering dust for quite some time yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.