Book listing claims Apple's iLife '11 will be 64-bit, iOS compatible

Comments

• Reply 101 of 144
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    iWeb needs some serious help. Glad to hear they are completely re-coding it. They had the right idea, but poor implementation. I would like to see the flexibility of Pages incorporated in the new version... Frustrating how you can't modify templates currently.

As far as iDVD, tried it out 5 years ago, didn't care for it, moved on. Was ok for a beginner app thou.

The point of iLife is to make it easy for the illiterate to do fun things on their mac's. Let them start creating content easily, slide shows, dvd's, websites etc...

Not sure I like the idea of dropping iDVD. While most of us don't live in the 'template' world, a lot do.

I very strongly urge all people who are buying their first computer to go with a Mac for this reason... the easiest OS to learn and iLife/iWork. You would be surprised how many people are considering their first computer.

Anyways, I hope this isn't a trend where Apple is more concerned about how we consume media, then create our own.
  • Reply 102 of 144
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Typical Blackintosh assumption? I made no assumption, I read the article here that said it was going to happen..

Aside from the assumption that this article has any actual facts in it.

This has been a frequent theme in your posts. Even when the article says "rumor" in big bold letters.

And then, after assuming the article is factual, you bash the heck out of it and anyone that has an opposing viewpoint.

No big shock most folks think you are a troll.
  • Reply 103 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Nope, just export video files playable on computers which ship on SD cards.

Great good to know but, what format? I guess you need to ship it as a HTML5 web page if you want to do any menu jump or looping. We also do a lot of trade show video where we might loop a 5 minute video segment. We usually use video monitors with built in DVD players since no one wants to leave their laptop at the booth and without some programming you can't loop a regular video file. At least not to my knowledge.
  • Reply 104 of 144
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple removed FireWire 400 from all machines. The MacBook never had FireWire 800 and it never got it. It only looks like Apple recanted on a fictional inclusion of FireWire because they split the 13? Mac notebook into a basic a Pro model, with the Pro model getting FireWire 800 (like all Pro Macs) and the MacBook still without FireWire.

Yup, but this was never an issue as a FW 400 - 800 cable is pence and fully compatible. You mentioned FW800 not me, the macbook and ibook before it both had FW400 and it was this which was removed.

With this sort of logic, light peak and USB3 will never happen - don't remove the old ports - five year old equipment won't work. Would you like to see the ADB port replaced too so you can use your old keyboard and mouse?
  • Reply 105 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Great good to know but, what format? I guess you need to ship it as a HTML5 web page if you want to do any menu jump or looping. We also do a lot of trade show video where we might loop a 5 minute video segment. We usually use video monitors with built in DVD players since no one wants to leave their laptop at the booth and without some programming you can't loop a regular video file. At least not to my knowledge.

No need to use HTML5 - there are lots of methods of delivering interactive video content that have been around for years- take a look at flash when used properly, or maybe Director (been a while, don't know if it still exists, but Macromedia Director was a fantastic tool for things like this). You can export as a self playing file which doesn't required and software or plug-ins.

Edit - found this for you.

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/
  • Reply 106 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Anyways, I hope this isn't a trend where Apple is more concerned about how we consume media, then create our own.

Looking at every thing they?ve done I can?t imagine how that could be assumed, even for a second. Did they remove editing and publishing features from iPhoto? Did they remove iMovie? Did they remove Garageband? Did they remove iWeb? Did they not make it easy to upload your media to Flickr, YouTube, MobileMe, etc.?

They haven?t even removed iDVD from iLife ?09 even though it hasn?t been updated since version 7.x which was introduced in 2007 with iLife ?08. You get to a point and say it?s foolish to keep in SW that we aren?t actively promoting or updating, especially when you have other rumoured apps to include.
  • Reply 107 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

iWeb needs some serious help. Glad to hear they are completely re-coding it. They had the right idea, but poor implementation. I would like to see the flexibility of Pages incorporated in the new version... Frustrating how you can't modify templates currently.

As far as iDVD, tried it out 5 years ago, didn't care for it, moved on. Was ok for a beginner app thou.

The point of iLife is to make it easy for the illiterate to do fun things on their mac's. Let them start creating content easily, slide shows, dvd's, websites etc...

Not sure I like the idea of dropping iDVD. While most of us don't live in the 'template' world, a lot do.

I very strongly urge all people who are buying their first computer to go with a Mac for this reason... the easiest OS to learn and iLife/iWork. You would be surprised how many people are considering their first computer.

I think this is the exact opposite. iLife is entirely about how consumers create rather than consume media. Consumers are over DVD - consumers like youtube, streaming, memory sticks and simple processes. The very simple inclusion of DVD burning features to the back end of iMovie and iDVD becomes irrelevant. Dedicating a whole app to a dying media format is sort of silly as we move to 2011.

iDVD isn't about creation, it's about distribution. And DVD is not the future or media distribution, any more than blu-ray.

PS. iWeb is great, it's a fun little app for amateurs to have a cheap easy to edit web presence. It's not intended as a coda replacement, it's a toy, and it's very good at filling it's niche - i look forward to an update and see what people like my dad will make of it.
  • Reply 108 of 144
    Quote:

No need to use HTML5 - there are lots of methods of delivering interactive video content that have been around for years- take a look at flash when used properly, or maybe Director (been a while, don't know if it still exists, but Macromedia Director was a fantastic tool for things like this). You can export as a self playing file which doesn't required and software or plug-ins.

Believe me we have been doing this sort of thing for literally decades. But in light of openness and platform agnostic methods we don't like to ship Windows and Mac executables as there is always some confusion by the end user trying to figure out how to play it. That is the beauty of DVD and of course web pages, everyone can figure it out.
  • Reply 109 of 144
    Quote:

Yup, but this was never an issue as a FW 400 - 800 cable is pence and fully compatible. You mentioned FW800 not me, the macbook and ibook before it both had FW400 and it was this which was removed.

With this sort of logic, light peak and USB3 will never happen - don't remove the old ports - five year old equipment won't work. Would you like to see the ADB port replaced too so you can use your old keyboard and mouse?

I have no idea what your defense is and of course I brought up FW800, I was clarifying what Apple did because it wasn?t some whimsical removal of FireWire, but a calculated removal of FW400 from all Macs. You can say that it?s backwards compatible to FW800 and it is in signaling, but unlike USB3.0, the port interface isn?t backwards compatible, which is a very distinct and very real reason why FW400 had to finally go.

The only fault is not being forward thinking enough to make FW400 and FW800 uses the same backwards compatible port interface the way USB did.
  • Reply 110 of 144
    Quote:

The arrogance of the company to decide to kill something before it's time. I mentioned firewire earlier. Yes, it's a rumor, but if you listen to Steve Jobs in various interviews, clearly he hates DVD's. The keynote when he introduced the first aluminum iMac is a great example.

This company has a trend of making their customers conform to certain things that I find extremely bizarre.

You want to use the most popular mobile phone on the planet? Become an ATT customer. Want an iPad with 3G? You must use ATT. Want to surf the web? You must use safari. And NO Flash for you sir! Want to advertise on the iPhone? You must use iAd. (they backed off on this one a bit.)

Apple is still a player in a whole world of players. They used to get along when they were down and out. Now they want to steer the world. I have cited various examples in my previous posts that I highly recommend reading. I find this attitude bizarre and I can only assume it's some kinda aftermath of Steve Jobs' two near death health encounters.

I think the guy needs to have a nice steak dinner, check his meds and leave the world alone with their optical media. Cripes, Steve, you don't have to reinvent the wheel every day ya know!

The rest of my statement explained how Apple still will give you what you want. Do you enjoy being angry? Your last paragraph appears to apply to you more than anyone else. Calm down.
  • Reply 111 of 144
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

Why? Because Steve Jobs said so? Who is behind Blu Ray? Sony. They were a player in the home entertainment market loooong before Apple was. Are they insignificant now? Does Steve Jobs steer the home entertainment market now?

In many key markets they have become so. Though they are still big in entertainment since they've got the both the content and hardware.
  • Reply 112 of 144
    Quote:

I have no idea what your defense is and of course I brought up FW800, I was clarifying what Apple did because it wasn’t some whimsical removal of FireWire, but a calculated removal of FW400 from all Macs. You can say that it’s backwards compatible to FW800 and it is in signaling, but unlike USB3.0, the port interface isn’t backwards compatible, which is a very distinct and very real reason why FW400 had to finally go.

The only fault is not being forward thinking enough to make FW400 and FW800 uses the same backwards compatible port interface the way USB did.

As i stated earlier a cable with FW400 on one end and FW800 on the other is pence.

As I also stated, you talked about a removal of FW from macbooks, you didn't mention 400 or 800 - as (you then later clarified) 800 wasn't touched. So make your mind. Do you want progress or not?

Port designs change, cables change, peripherals need updating. No one is forced to upgrade to a new machine, but if you buy a new machine, you accept new technology. It's a fact of life. Things move forwards. Otherwise, i'd be typing this on a keyboard attached with an ADB cable to a computer, only to save it on a floppy drive.

Remember the outcry when apple removed the built-on telephone modem?

Move forward, or get left behind - your choice, not a fault on Apple's part. They want you to buy new equipment with compelling new features, it's how they're still in business. Not some great shocker now, is it?

Quote:

TApple once assumed that FireWire camcorders should be destroyed and took the firewire port off of the MacBook. They put it back on when Apple realized they don't steer the camcorder market.

Was your initial statement. YOU stated that all firewire ports were removed from all macbooks. That was untrue. FW400 was left off and the FW800 left for higher end machines. It had nothing to do with "steering the camcorder market". You make large statements which are untrue a LOT Blackintosh and then criticise based on your fiction - have you considered a career in politics?
  • Reply 113 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

In the U.S. We don't have the infrastructure for streaming to Everyone. And it certainly is not robust enough for 1080p.

And remember Ap,le is having a devil of a time with getting the cooperation of tv tv networks.

Nope, and not everyone has blu-ray players, so should blu-ray not be distributed as part of a solution? Without consumer pressure, the telecom companies will never have an reason to upgrade infrastructure. Demand drives profits for these companies, so holding back on technologies will just mean a stand still.
  • Reply 114 of 144
    Quote:

As I also stated, you talked about a removal of FW from macbooks, you didn't mention 400 or 800 - as (you then later clarified) 800 wasn't touched.

Really?

Quote:

Apple removed FireWire 400 from all machines. The MacBook never had FireWire 800 and it never got it. It only looks like Apple recanted on a fictional inclusion of FireWire because they split the 13” Mac notebook into a basic a Pro model, with the Pro model getting FireWire 800 (like all Pro Macs) and the MacBook still without FireWire.

Again, Apple removed the obsolescing FW400 port interface standard. That’s it!
  • Reply 115 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Aside from the assumption that this article has any actual facts in it. This has been a frequent theme in your posts. Even when the article says "rumor" in big bold letters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

you do love your hyperbole. And this little rant of yours is based on a rumor.

Sorry. I thought this was a rumor site. I didn't realize this was true tech journalism here and that the posters in this forum were normal rational people.
  • Reply 116 of 144
    Quote:

Otherwise, i'd be typing this on a keyboard attached with an ADB cable to a computer, only to save it on a floppy drive.

When they removed those things they also provided another way for you do continue doing what you did before. When they removed the ADB they gave you USB, and when they removed the floppy they gave you a writable optical disc and in some cases a zip drive. When they remove the optical disc they will probably give us an SD card slot on every computer they sell. What I don't understand is why they remove the software before they remove the hardware. Are they just saving pennies by not upgrading iDVD to 64 bit with the rest of the suite?

DVD reading and writing software was not originally native to computers. It was developed as a means of being compatible with another very pervasive technology, the television platform. Downloading of TV content is still in its infancy so why the rush to rid the world of ubiquitous television compatibility?
  • Reply 117 of 144
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:

iDVD isn't about creation, it's about distribution. And DVD is not the future or media distribution, any more than blu-ray.

Can't say I agree with you there at all. iDVD is about creation. It's a content creation tool. Some people don't just shoot video and say "done". Some like nice menu's and inserting photos and music and creating... a dvd. A work of art in itself. Similar to the 'album vs single's' debate in music. Some like the album experience. Are you going to say that 'Albums' are not the way of the future?

As far as DVD's being the future, this point is moot. It's like debating what is art.

It doesn't always matter what the 'future' of some tech is going to be, as long as there is a 'present'.

Presently, DVD's are still the most widely adopted format for video distribution. Shrinking, yah.

I think the debate is wether it's the right time for Apple to drop support for iDVD.

My answer is sure... throw some tools into iMovie and be done with it.

However, I know some people who will be intimidated with a bloated iMovie.

I know some people who are new to comput'n world who want to simply play a music file, open up iTunes and you can see their brain cramp.

This whole thread has made me aware of how hard it must be to innovate crazy and complex software, yet make it look stupid easy to use so people don't freak out. Kinda like the time I opened up Lightwave 3D thinking i'd make a quick animation...
  • Reply 118 of 144
    Quote:

Apple removed the obsolescing FW400 port interface standard. That?s it!

And how exactly do we know when something is obsolescing? When Steve Jobs tells us so? Do you really think Jobs has the only key to the walled garden and everyone outside is banging on the door looking to get in?
  • Reply 119 of 144
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

NOpe, digital streaming requires a downstream speed of around 1.5 megs, the bare minimum broadband a majority of web users experience. Also, I didn't suggest that "everyone" has broadband. Some people don't have the internet into their homes either. Is that a reason that development of new technologies and practices should be stalled?

Experiencing the bare minimum for streamed content at 1.5Mbps is a far cry from being THE method of delivery for HD content in the living room. Yes, it will happen someday, but as the comment you quoted said, the picture you paint is a far way off for most. Just the other night, we were trying to watch a streamed episode of Family Guy from Netflix. Not only did it keep stuttering, but one of my guests commented how poor the picture quality was. And as a side note, I subscribe to a 30Mbps service (way above the norm her in the states) and was using a PS-3 to stream the content and display it on my 46" LCD TV. By the way, I don't recall Blackintosh or anyone else suggesting that new technologies and practices be stalled.
  • Reply 120 of 144
    Quote:

Really?

Again, Apple removed the obsolescing FW400 port interface standard. That?s it!

I was responding to Black, not you. I agree with your point.