Microsoft exec says Zune software coming to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 81 of 133
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

This is a honest post and not for trolling purposes. I switched to Apple several years ago and still have a mac mini for my media centre. But I switched back to windows a few months ago after I had problems with a 27" iMac but the main reason was due to Apple users.

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever .... you let "other Apple users" dictate to you what computer you would use? I have no logical response to such an inconceivable rationale.
  • Reply 82 of 133
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    It's clear most people here haven't even touched the Zune software and are already dismissing it. Zune is by far much more pleasing to use than iTunes. I for one am extremely glad macs are finally getting it so I don't have to bother with doubletwist anymore (iTunes is so awful I flat out refuse to use it anymore).

Looks like I'll be getting myself an HD7 after all.
  • Reply 83 of 133
    deleted
  • Reply 84 of 133
    Whatever your view of Office 2008, the reviews of Office 2011 are very posiitive (as are the independent blogs where people have used the beta)

If one's still allowed to have an open mind, then it's actually good to see that Microsoft are still making a big effort to produce a sophisticated and worthwhile release, with some unique features that really make use fo the Mac (Dynamic Reordering needs to be seen live to appreciate what a smart 'Apple like' 3D way to navigate and move document layers and objects..)

Anyway, if you've closed your mind you'll just flame me.. but if you're actually interested in a very worthwhile update - take a look at the reviews.

4.5 Mice - Macworld

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/prod...ml?expand=true

10/10 Trusted Reviews

http://www.trustedreviews.com/softwa...or-Mac-2011/p1

8/10 - ZDnet.
  • Reply 85 of 133
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You could not be more mistaken. You do realize that on the Mac platform (most machines) you can configure to boot up Windows or Mac ...... still don't see that ability on PC machines.

However you do know that putting Mac odd on non approved computer is against the EULA and is what got Pystar sued into oblivon
  • Reply 86 of 133
    The problem with being a technological follower, who never really has innovated (microsoft).... is you will eventually get left behind. I see this slowly but surely happening to MS. Their products have SUCKED forever now.... too many back doors with security issues, too many unstable operating systems and applications. They did a great job marketing and screwing people over at all the right times (Netscape)..... but that will only get you so far.... Eventually Open source apps, Linux and Apple just might finally clean their clock. If these guys don't get an original idea soon..... I'd guess we start seeing their market share finally shrink. Zune software for Mac should have been released when they actually put that POS out in the market place. But what is it now? 2 or 3 years later and now they are making this "brilliant" move.
  • Reply 87 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After yelling at my computer I realized that Numbers is pretty awful. I don't even think I'm doing anything to extreme, either.

I do use Pages more than Word but that may change soon. It has boggling issues that are simply anti-Apple, IMO.

Rule of thumb: If it take you more steps to do on Mac OS X over Windows then you are probably doing it wrong. Pages and Numbers are clear exceptions. But in their defense they are very new compared to Office.

There are some mindsets with Office you have to abandon when moving to iWork apps, remember that Apple is targeting more of a point & click crowd with their apps than shortcuts folks. That being said there are advantages & disadvantages to both

Pages:

Pros - creating professional looking layouts is a super breeze and it is easy to start from a template & adapt it to fit your formatting needs.

Cons - When typing keyboard shortcuts are far more efficient than using a mouse, Apple really needs to work on their shortcuts (for the overall OS X System as well, can we get lock screen shortcut already?!).

Numbers:

Pros - Once I got used to the idea of using the mouse & keyboard together to create complex functions involving other cells I actually find Numbers to be much faster at creating things like expense reports or budget sheets, doing same amount of work I would have done in Excel in about 1/4 the time. Numbers is also way faster than Excel on my Mac when dealing with lots of formulas & changes.

Cons - Functions library still needs more expansion, still some things that it isn't able to easily calculate but in this regard I think I'd rather use OpenOffice over Excel anyway. Some of this could be the functions exist but that I just don't know how to apply them, apps often aren't just limited to what is documented or included in templates.

Keynote:

Pros - presentations are much more professional looking than PowerPoint, very cool animations. Also love that I can easily export whole project to a Video and even burn it to a DVD for environments where I don't have a laptop to showcase from.

Cons - Needs some improvements in the way of themes, here I think PowerPoint has some serious offerings.

Cons for all - Apple products are usually known for their interconnectivity but here I think iWork is still quit infantile, mostly between Numbers & Keynote. They ramp this up and iWork could be really great.

All in all the more I use & learn iWork the more it's destroying some of the old myths I once believed about MS Office being vastly superior. Spending 4 or 5 days dabbling with a software app isn't enough to make you an expert on functionality. I've been using both products for 3 years now & I'm still learning some very cool new things about both. In the last 2 years iWork has really accelerated in my eyes.
  • Reply 88 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

However you do know that putting Mac odd on non approved computer is against the EULA and is what got Pystar sued into oblivon

Surely that's a result of Apple not having "quality assurance" on the many 100s of PC machines available. They can control the quality of their machines .... but not of their competitors .... a problem not likely to get solved in my lifetime.
  • Reply 89 of 133
    Quote:

Surely that's a result of Apple not having "quality assurance" on the many 100s of PC machines available. They can control the quality of their machines .... but not of their competitors .... a problem not likely to get solved in my lifetime.

I agree with you there, but you cannot blame MS for not allowing/making easy the installation of OSX if Apple itself does not allow it.

More on topic though. My wife uses Zune, and I have to say, it is more visually appealing than iTunes, and I would say easier to navigate, but not by much. We have about 500 GB in media (200 GB in music alone), and both iTunes on my Mac and Zune on the Win 7 machine are slow to load, so there is not much of a difference there.
  • Reply 90 of 133
    When I first heard of Zune I thought the subscription service had merit especially since people could keep ten tunes per month. The price of the Zune with lesser functionality compared to others was also a deciding factor in not making a purchase at that time. I looked into iPods too. Since I hesitated on that purchase, because it wasn't a necessity for me, I've decided to not go with an iPod or a Zune.

I've learned about the benefits of open source systems in the interim and I'm moving to Linux. That means I want to have a music player that works on that platform which means no iTunes or Zune.

If Linux weren't my OS of choice I think I'd go with having a Zune Pass if it worked with other portable music players. Having Zune on a Mac should be a cool thing. I saw a video of the updated Zune software for Windows and it looked good and easy to use. If Microsoft can make it just as functional on a Mac then it should be a great competitor to iTunes.

I still own a Mac in addition to an HP using Linux and Vista, otherwise why would I be here?
  • Reply 91 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

There are some mindsets with Office you have to abandon when moving to iWork apps, remember that Apple is targeting more of a point & click crowd with their apps than shortcuts folks. That being said there are advantages & disadvantages to both

[?]

I agree and I try to have an open mind. I also came into using Pages and Numbers after a solid decade of not using MS Office for anything other than an occasional reading, so I was a pretty clean slate in that regard.

My biggest issue with Pages is making Outlines work for me. MS Office does a much better job of setting up an Outline, IMO.

One niggling issue with Numbers is the inability to shrink text to fit cells like you can on MS Office. The only option I can find is to resize the row or column to fit the text.
  • Reply 92 of 133
    Quote:

I agree with you there, but you cannot blame MS for not allowing/making easy the installation of OSX if Apple itself does not allow it.

More on topic though. My wife uses Zune, and I have to say, it is more visually appealing than iTunes, and I would say easier to navigate, but not by much. We have about 500 GB in media (200 GB in music alone), and both iTunes on my Mac and Zune on the Win 7 machine are slow to load, so there is not much of a difference there.

Point taken. I thought I had a respectable amount of music .... but I'm not even in the same ballpark as you. Me .... 13,000 items .... 64G .... against your 200G .. no contest. Congrats (did I mention I was jealous?) haha
  • Reply 93 of 133
    Quote:

Point taken. I thought I had a respectable amount of music .... but I'm not even in the same ballpark as you. Me .... 13,000 items .... 64G .... against your 200G .. no contest. Congrats (did I mention I was jealous?) haha

Well, I am nearly 50, and been an audiophile since I was 12 or 13. When we lived in TX, I had a listening room with Naim electronics and self built speakers. The HT had Rotel gear and Totem Acoustics speakers. When we moved to Hawaii to take care of my in laws, I kept the Rotel and self built speakers and dumped everything else.

The size of the collection is due to the fact that most of it is in a variety of lossless formats like FLAC or Apple Lossless. So the collection itself is only about 21,000 songs.
  • Reply 94 of 133
    Wow... MS must be pretty desperate if they seriously need mac users to save their WP7 platform. People buy macs to get AWAY from windows, why should any of us go back, especially when we have a better option (iPhone)?
  • Reply 95 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Wow... MS must be pretty desperate if they seriously need mac users to save their WP7 platform. People buy macs to get AWAY from windows, why should any of us go back, especially when we have a better option (iPhone)?

How many Mac users have bootcamp working? I know I do on my MBP. I am willing to bet that a lot of Mac users still use Windows.
  • Reply 96 of 133
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever .... you let "other Apple users" dictate to you what computer you would use? I have no logical response to such an inconceivable rationale.

I think it makes perfect sense. Many times I have found myself embarrassed by those around me. It makes me want to disassociate myself from them and whatever they're espousing. I agree completely with this person.
  • Reply 97 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

How many Mac users have bootcamp working? I know I do on my MBP. I am willing to bet that a lot of Mac users still use Windows.

I don?t think it?s that common unless you are playing some Windows game. I think a VM of Windows is more common.

In fact, I went to run VM Ware to use a program only available on Windows right now and found that I didn?t have any of the VMs I created or any VM app installed. I don?t know when I last had it installed but it has probably been at least a year since I?ve used Windows.

The Internet has resolved a lot of the compatibility issues. There isn?t a site I access that won?t work on Macs or Linux browsers well. I never see IE-only sites that use ActiveX, not even on .gov sites where these were common requirements.

This does make me wonder what Apple will do with Mac OS in the future. The current design is very archaic. The iPad and iPhone has shown us that.
  • Reply 98 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think it?s that common unless you are playing some Windows game. I think a VM of Windows is more common.

In fact, I went to run VM Ware to use a program only available on Windows right now and found that I didn?t have any of the VMs I created or any VM app installed. I don?t know when I last had it installed but it has probably been at least a year since I?ve used Windows.

The Internet has resolved a lot of the compatibility issues. There isn?t a site I access that won?t work on Macs or Linux browsers well. I never see IE-only sites that use ActiveX, not even on .gov sites where these were common requirements.

This does make me wonder what Apple will do with Mac OS in the future. The current design is very archaic. The iPad and iPhone has shown us that.

You may be right about VM being more common, but the point still remains that a lot of Mac users still probably have Windows on their machines in one form or another. I do, simply to ensure that Power Point presentations do not get "scrambled" when going from Mac to Windows (although with Office 2011 for Mac, that has not been an issue anymore).
  • Reply 99 of 133
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Yeah because iTunes is so well coded, slick and non bloated!

Runs fine on my Mac.
  • Reply 100 of 133
    Quote:

Not by choice and only because I have to. My work still uses WXP. I need both bootcamp and VMware to work from home sometimes. If it wasnt' for that, I'd dump both. Looking forward to the day when I can open my own office and and kiss MS goodbye.