Microsoft exec says Zune software coming to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 101 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

You may be right about VM being more common, but the point still remains that a lot of Mac users still probably have Windows on their machines in one form or another. I do, simply to ensure that Power Point presentations do not get "scrambled" when going from Mac to Windows (although with Office 2011 for Mac, that has not been an issue anymore).

I?d think ?business? needs would be the last hold out and it sounds like you?re saying you no longer need to pay for the VM app, for Windows and MS Office. Now you can just have Office of Mac without all the extra effort and cost.
  • Reply 102 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I think it makes perfect sense. Many times I have found myself embarrassed by those around me. It makes me want to disassociate myself from them and whatever they're espousing. I agree completely with this person.

Oh, the pressure . . .

Whatever.
  • Reply 103 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Can't see why Microsoft would bother for the twenty or so people who might try it out..

I see elsewhere that the SD card slot is a bit useless on the '07 phone... http://www.itproportal.com/portal/ne...ping-sd-cards/

DOA I predict.

Why did they even bother with making it removable? What a bunch of ultra maroons...

Why am I even bothering to rant about it? *Sigh* Micro$oft is as Micro$oft does.
  • Reply 104 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

No sane Mac user would allow any MS software on their Mac. As fas MS Office is concerned that is used mostly by the corporate morons who want to look cool using a Mac but don't have the brains to really use it. MS Office is their connection to the PC world.

Well....Silverlight seems to be a much better performing product then Flash.
  • Reply 105 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demitri View Post

The xbox comes to mind

I believe that starting around 10 years of age and up the x-box 360 owns the majority mind share of the gaming population. I hate to say it but I think for the next several years they will own the console gaming market. IMHO.
  • Reply 106 of 133
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I think it makes perfect sense. Many times I have found myself embarrassed by those around me. It makes me want to disassociate myself from them and whatever they're espousing. I agree completely with this person.

Sorry, but when you allow "other people" to make up "your mind" about a computer that you already own still makes no sense to me. Getting rid of something because somebody else happens to own the same brand and happens to be someone you, rightly or wrongly, have a low opinion of, seems to me, at least, to suggest some "need for approval" issues .... but hey, that's me ...YMMV!
  • Reply 107 of 133
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I believe that starting around 10 years of age and up the x-box 360 owns the majority mind share of the gaming population. I hate to say it but I think for the next several years they will own the console gaming market. IMHO.

In the US, maybe, in Europe, Africa and especially Asia. No. The console wars is far different from the PC platform and Microsoft is facing 2 800 pound gorillas in Sony and Nintendo who will have no problem in taking Microsoft on. Also, don't forget that there is a big possible that Apple and soon, Goggle might decide to try get in the game console market. The big question is this, how long can the Halo franchise carry the X-box platform against the Playstation and Nintendo platforms?
  • Reply 108 of 133
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

In the US, maybe, in Europe, Africa and especially Asia. No. The console wars is far different from the PC platform and Microsoft is facing 2 800 pound gorillas in Sony and Nintendo who will have no problem in taking Microsoft on. Also, don't forget that there is a big possible that Apple and soon, Goggle might decide to try get in the game console market. The big question is this, how long can the Halo franchise carry the X-box platform against the Playstation and Nintendo platforms?

A couple of comments.

1. What evidence is there that either Apple or Google might try to market consoles? This would be completely new.

2. Nintendo's Wii (their console) is after a different demographic than either the PS3 or the Xbox.
  • Reply 109 of 133
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Come on, people, MS is acknowledging that people use Macs enough that they felt it prudent to write sync software for it. How is that a bad thing?.

Hit the nail on the head with this. This is confirmation from MSFT that the Mac platform can't be ignored, especially in the consumer space. Given how much Ballmer has tried to ignore Apple and its products, it is a tremendous turnaround in philosophy for MSFT.

Neal
  • Reply 110 of 133
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

ha ha ha ha ha! that is absolutely hysterical!

Paranoia at its best

Specially part about self-proclaimed cream of tech society. Modern drugs do magic, eh?
  • Reply 111 of 133
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Microsoft will finally realize that it is in their best interest for them to realize that they should just copy Apple, Admit It, and Appreciate that they can still be a force to reckon with.

Google has realized it. Of course most people would say that it was just good Spying from Mr.

Schmidt. But lets give them some props. They have not only done well with Android, they have now

realized that they have a very powerful engine to drive there interests to places they never could figure out before.

This two big companies have got to accept their position on the Tech Totem Pole. Apple is not their enemy. Ballmer might not have wanted to accept it, (perhaps Gates and Brin had a little sitdown with Steve Jobs) they are finally giving Apple their due and recognizing that Apple is way ahead in

many current markets. But more than that, NOBODY is innovating like Apple. And also, NOBODY is

tying everything together as brilliantly as Apple.

Google might have a homerun with Android, but they seem to be having a harder time than they thought in having their Netbooks tie into it as Apple has done.

Microsoft has also found out how difficult it is. But they will do a better job with their new Win 7 phone.

But that is all right. All three of them can be successful.

Apple is making a lot of money. Jobs will live a happy life seeing all these great stuff coming out.

Google will continue doing well with there stuff too. And it is great that they continue using a lot of their money on Wind Farms, Driverless Cars, White Space availability, etc.

Microsoft will feel great if they can just remain a force in these changing times. Who knows maybe Ballmer can even keep his Job. (I think they will do well with the new phone.)

BUT, they all have to understand, that we are living in a very important time tech wise.

Between these three companies. They have the makings of the new Heat trio. Apple(Lebron),

Google(Wade), and Microsoft(Bosh). We don't really know if they can win a lot of championships.

But things have gotten interesting in the NBA. But I don't think its more interesting in what is happening in TECH.
  • Reply 112 of 133
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

A couple of comments.

1. What evidence is there that either Apple or Google might try to market consoles? This would be completely new.

2. Nintendo's Wii (their console) is after a different demographic than either the PS3 or the Xbox.

Two words, Living room or entertainment room. Whoever controls the living room might get the opportunity to dominate the mobile world. Why would Apple continue with Apple TV when even Steve Jobs is saying that it is just a hobby or why would Goggle bother to make their own version of it with the cooperation of Sony and other TV manufacturers? Hell, why would Microsoft decide to make a Windows 7 ecosystem that also incorporates inter connectivity with their X-box 360 with the help of their mobile devices such as the Win7 smartphones and the Zune music player and their future Win7 tablets if they did not have whole house in mind.

Nintendo Wii appears to be after a different demographic group than those two but unlike the Wii, PS3 and X-box 360 is more than competent tp cross over the Wii demographic group and effectively beat Nintendo in it's own game. See Playstation's Move and X-box Kinect. Both companies understood the secret of the Nintendo Wii. Get the parents playing and the rest will follow.
  • Reply 113 of 133
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I know. who in their right mind would want some crappy Microsoft Zune device and software infecting their Mac when they have the far superior iTunes with iPhones and iPods?

iTunes is a heap of crap, on both the PC and Mac
  • Reply 114 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Obviously a lot do considering that MS Office is one of the top selling Mac packages.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Best-Mac-Software

Honestly, unless you are a business user and HAVE to use MS Office for compatibility reasons, and are ready to put up with bad software, fair enough. But seriously all the users I work with hate it and would rather use iWork instead !! That being said I read only praises on Office 2011 which I'm about to try.. so we'll see.

So not to be a bad mouth, I am ready to give Off2011 a try, and see what the fuss is all about. I'll do my best to stay open minded....
  • Reply 115 of 133
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

Two words, Living room or entertainment room. Whoever controls the living room might get the opportunity to dominate the mobile world. Why would Apple continue with Apple TV when even Steve Jobs is saying that it is just a hobby or why would Goggle bother to make their own version of it with the cooperation of Sony and other TV manufacturers? Hell, why would Microsoft decide to make a Windows 7 ecosystem that also incorporates inter connectivity with their X-box 360 with the help of their mobile devices such as the Win7 smartphones and the Zune music player and their future Win7 tablets if they did not have whole house in mind.

Nintendo Wii appears to be after a different demographic group than those two but unlike the Wii, PS3 and X-box 360 is more than competent tp cross over the Wii demographic group and effectively beat Nintendo in it's own game. See Playstation's Move and X-box Kinect. Both companies understood the secret of the Nintendo Wii. Get the parents playing and the rest will follow.

I agree with your assessment of PS and Xbox, but there is no evidence that Apple is developing a console which is a very different beast from a hand held. The Apple TV would need a serious upgrade to handle today's PS and Xbox games.
  • Reply 116 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

iTunes is a heap of crap, on both the PC and Mac

A comment like this is useless without some examples of why you think this.
  • Reply 117 of 133
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

A comment like this is useless without some examples of why you think this.

It is slow, it is fat, it is buggy, it has a terrible interface, it has an inconsistant interface. I love the way they have an 80MB download to add syncing for one new device. It is terrible both on the Mac and the PC. At least I don't have to install it on my PC, but I am sort of forced to on my Mac.

How many more examples of how terrible it is do you want?
  • Reply 118 of 133
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Sorry, but when you allow "other people" to make up "your mind" about a computer that you already own still makes no sense to me. Getting rid of something because somebody else happens to own the same brand and happens to be someone you, rightly or wrongly, have a low opinion of, seems to me, at least, to suggest some "need for approval" issues .... but hey, that's me ...YMMV!

Some people are embarrassed to be a member of any group that would actually accept them.
  • Reply 119 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Justin Long is not a douche. He is a hipster. Everyone wants to be like him, and nobody wants to be like John Hodgman.

That much should be obvious.

lol. they both look like douches.
  • Reply 120 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

It is slow, it is fat, it is buggy, it has a terrible interface, it has an inconsistant interface. I love the way they have an 80MB download to add syncing for one new device. It is terrible both on the Mac and the PC. At least I don't have to install it on my PC, but I am sort of forced to on my Mac.

How many more examples of how terrible it is do you want?

I use iTunes almost everyday and have never experienced the "problems" you talk about. Perhaps there is a reason, other than iTunes that we are not considering? Just curious .... since you don't have it on your PC, what are you using?