Microsoft exec says Zune software coming to the Mac

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Some people are embarrassed to be a member of any group that would actually accept them.

haha! That must be it.
  • Reply 122 of 133
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I use iTunes almost everyday and have never experienced the "problems" you talk about. Perhaps there is a reason, other than iTunes that we are not considering? Just curious .... since you don't have it on your PC, what are you using?

The original 24" iMac, 2.16GHz, sure it is three years old, but I don't find it any faster on my kids newer MacBooks either. At the moment it is using 64% CPU, and I'm not doing anything in it.

I don't have many items in it, about 3000 songs, 200 movies, 1000 tv episodes, 60 books, 400 podcasts. If it was written by MS, you guys would be ripping the crap out of it, but since it is an Apple app, virtually nothing is said about the app that they majority of their users, use the most.
  • Reply 123 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I use iTunes almost everyday and have never experienced the "problems" you talk about. Perhaps there is a reason, other than iTunes that we are not considering? Just curious .... since you don't have it on your PC, what are you using?

Some people always have the worst ?luck? with everything. It makes me wonder if these pessimistic curmudgeons are simply unlucky by nature, are lying to extract some sick satisfaction from it, or simply cause all their problems by choosing to be ignorant.

On my machine iTunes loads between 1 and 1.5 seconds.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I agree with your assessment of PS and Xbox, but there is no evidence that Apple is developing a console which is a very different beast from a hand held. The Apple TV would need a serious upgrade to handle today's PS and Xbox games.

There was also no evidence that Apple was going into mp3 business until the iPod announcement in 2001, no evidence that Apple was developing the iPad and the iPhone until they were ready to release both to the public. Point of the matter is this, you and I have no evidence that Apple or Steve Jobs in particular have already committed resources to see if Apple can enter the game console world and profit. But consider this, they are a systems company and they can easily make a game console on par with today's PS3 and X-box 360. The going trend is that Apple will not enter the console business and almost everyone agrees with that assessment including me. But, if push comes to a shove, don't be surprise if Apple have in their labs, Apple branded game consoles being tested right now .
  • Reply 125 of 133
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

There was also no evidence that Apple was going into mp3 business until the iPod announcement in 2001, no evidence that Apple was developing the iPad and the iPhone until they were ready to release both to the public. Point of the matter is this, you and I have no evidence that Apple or Steve Jobs in particular have already committed resources to see if Apple can enter the game console world and profit. But consider this, they are a systems company and they can easily make a game console on par with today's PS3 and X-box 360. The going trend is that Apple will not enter the console business and almost everyone agrees with that assessment including me. But, if push comes to a shove, don't be surprise if Apple have in their labs, Apple branded game consoles being tested right now .

I am sure that Apple (and MS) have all sorts of stuff being tested and examined in their labs, including consoles. Developing the hardware is probably not that hard, relatively speaking. The hard part is getting the game companies to write/port the games. Yes, Apple is a big name, and has a lot of momentum, etc. but it would be a 4th platform to code for, which would be expensive. Additionally, there would probably have to be compromises made on both sides, and who knows how that would go. For example, would Apple want/allow games like Grand Theft Auto on their system. Who knows, and we may all be surprised, but I am not sure that Apple wants to go down that route, unless it sets itself up to compete only against the Wii
  • Reply 126 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Some people always have the worst ?luck? with everything

I know your talking about me, and I don't have the worst luck with everything. The only two applications I have issues with on my Mac are Safari, and iTunes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On my machine iTunes loads between 1 and 1.5 seconds.

So your ssd drive your always talking about is working out for you then? But good for you with regard to your load times, it takes five seconds from the click until the interface shows up, but then again, I don't quit iTunes very often, so loading time doesn't really worry me, it is the parts of the application that get used a lot are the issues.
  • Reply 127 of 133
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

I am sure that Apple (and MS) have all sorts of stuff being tested and examined in their labs, including consoles. Developing the hardware is probably not that hard, relatively speaking. The hard part is getting the game companies to write/port the games. Yes, Apple is a big name, and has a lot of momentum, etc. but it would be a 4th platform to code for, which would be expensive. Additionally, there would probably have to be compromises made on both sides, and who knows how that would go. For example, would Apple want/allow games like Grand Theft Auto on their system. Who knows, and we may all be surprised, but I am not sure that Apple wants to go down that route, unless it sets itself up to compete only against the Wii

Unless you buy 2010's version of Bungie .
  • Reply 128 of 133
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

Developing the hardware is probably not that hard, relatively speaking. The hard part is getting the game companies to write/port the games.

hardware design and software development are different disciplines so it's not necessarily a fair statement to judge relative difficulties
  • Reply 129 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The original 24" iMac, 2.16GHz, sure it is three years old, but I don't find it any faster on my kids newer MacBooks either. At the moment it is using 64% CPU, and I'm not doing anything in it.

I don't have many items in it, about 3000 songs, 200 movies, 1000 tv episodes, 60 books, 400 podcasts. If it was written by MS, you guys would be ripping the crap out of it, but since it is an Apple app, virtually nothing is said about the app that they majority of their users, use the most.

Well, this is interesting. My machine is the same model as yours, with a memory upgrade to 4G ... even 'tho that model only supports 3G, or so I'm led to believe. It was just cheaper to install 2 x 2G rather than 1 x 1G plus 1 x 2G.

My iTunes library is a little different than yours, in that you have a much larger movie, TV collection whereas I have mostly music.

13,440 songs (66.56G) ....... 19 movies (8.97G) ..... 10 TV (5.02G) .....225 podcasts (14.96G) .....4 iTunes U (1.83G) for a total of just over 97G .... out of a 250G HD.

I turned iTunes on to see what it draws. At this moment, doing nothing, .... 74.52 mb real memory but 0% cpu usage. I started playing an album and cpu usage goes up to 4.10 %.

Are you sure that your not looking at real memory instead of cpu %. I would assume that if you're doing nothing on it .... it shouldn't be using any processing power. Bear in mind, I am no expert on computers, by any means. Please check again and let me know, I'm really interested.
  • Reply 130 of 133
    Quote:

13,440 songs (66.56G) ....... 19 movies (8.97G) ..... 10 TV (5.02G) .....225 podcasts (14.96G) .....4 iTunes U (1.83G) for a total of just over 97G .... out of a 250G HD.

I turned iTunes on to see what it draws. At this moment, doing nothing, .... 74.52 mb real memory but 0% cpu usage. I started playing an album and cpu usage goes up to 4.10 %.

Are you sure that your not looking at real memory instead of cpu %. I would assume that if you're doing nothing on it .... it shouldn't be using any processing power. Bear in mind, I am no expert on computers, by any means. Please check again and let me know, I'm really interested.

I was looking at CPU usage, doing nothing it was taking a tonne of CPU. I quit it before, to check how long iTunes took to load, doing nothing now it is using 0.8% CPU usage, and using 106.9MB RAM. Since reloading iTunes the only thing it has probably done is sync to the AppleTV.
  • Reply 131 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I was looking at CPU usage, doing nothing it was taking a tonne of CPU. I quit it before, to check how long iTunes took to load, doing nothing now it is using 0.8% CPU usage, and using 106.9MB RAM. Since reloading iTunes the only thing it has probably done is sync to the AppleTV.

That is truly weird. As I said before, if it is doing nothing ... what's with the cpu usage. I don't have Apple TV so I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the problem is related to that. Are you, by any chance, watching anything on Apple TV? Maybe someone with more experience can figure this one out. If it was me, I'd be tempted to go over to the genius forum on this site and ask if anyone can offer solutions to this problem. I've had good results with that from time to time. Keep us posted please.
  • Reply 132 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

I agree, but would add this. Why would Apple even want a game console? The way the iPad is being received and the ever increasing number of games being developed for it, I can see a day not far off where the iPad may be used for game playing more than all of the dedicated game consoles put together.

For me, there is a similarity between cameras and iPads, in that, a higher quality game may be available on a game console, but the mobility factor of an iPad trumps that .... kinda like .... even 'tho better cameras take better pictures, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when a good picture taking opportunity presents itself.
  • Reply 133 of 133
    Quote:

That is truly weird. As I said before, if it is doing nothing ... what's with the cpu usage. I don't have Apple TV so I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the problem is related to that. Are you, by any chance, watching anything on Apple TV? Maybe someone with more experience can figure this one out. If it was me, I'd be tempted to go over to the genius forum on this site and ask if anyone can offer solutions to this problem. I've had good results with that from time to time. Keep us posted please.

Nope, haven't used the AppleTV for a couple of days.

I just wish Apple would rewrite iTunes, and split the syncing functions from the main app.

EDIT: My daughter just started watching a video on the AppleTV, iTunes shot up to 1.7% CPU usage