Sprint counters Verizon iPhone 4 with dual-screen Android phone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 171
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Will be lessucessful then kin. Don't buy.
  • Reply 82 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Precisely. In no sense will this 'counter' the Verizon iPhone 4, or any other iPhone 4. Anyone who thinks this has more than 1% of the mass-market appeal of the iP4 has their head in the clouds.

This may be an 'industry first' - but why? I'm sure it's within the capability of every major phone manufacturer to make a phone with two touchscreens. Bearing that in mind, why is it an industry first? Is it because there's no demand for it?

DaHarder has ordered 4.5 of them for his 9 family members
  • Reply 83 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Are you sure that isn't 4.5 each?
  • Reply 84 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The problem is there are too many androids for anyone of them to be successful on the scale of Iphone. Iphone needs to just go to sprint and t-mobile already. Just because someone made it doesn't mean there is an audience for it.

Android is not single phone the operating system is already more successful than the iPhone because it is on so many phones. It is like saying BlackBerry will never have a phone as successful as the iPhone of course not they offer there operating system on a lot of phones. If Apple were to allow there IOS on other phones then you would be comparing apples to apples.
  • Reply 85 of 171
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

• Reply 86 of 171
    Oh, wow, someone made a new phone?

In other news, Dell made a new laptop.

See, AI? I can do it too. This may be newsworthy, but not on a website called Appleinsider.
  • Reply 87 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Precisely. In no sense will this 'counter' the Verizon iPhone 4, or any other iPhone 4. Anyone who thinks this has more than 1% of the mass-market appeal of the iP4 has their head in the clouds.

This may be an 'industry first' - but why? I'm sure it's within the capability of every major phone manufacturer to make a phone with two touchscreens. Bearing that in mind, why is it an industry first? Is it because there's no demand for it?

Just imagine if Apple had done dual screens, Google's offspring would now have three or four!
  • Reply 88 of 171
    Here's an interesting link:

Apple Is Most Valuable Company on Earth: Analysts

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41473211
  • Reply 89 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Oh, wow, someone made a new phone?

In other news, Dell made a new laptop.

See, AI? I can do it too. This may be newsworthy, but not on a website called Appleinsider.

Anything that can potentially directly have an effect on AAPL is news worthy on AI in my opinion. So that has to include all products attempting to take Apple on. I am not sure why that isn't obvious. AI don't report on break throughs in bio-tech ... well unless it was developed on an iPad
  • Reply 90 of 171
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I don't have anything intelligent to say about the phone, but that whole "after rebate" nonsense gets on my nerves. Just cut the damn price. Quit banking on those people that don't file for the rebate. Just ticks me off.

Yeah, a product shouldn't have a rebate on introduction, though it's been done before. Rebates are pretty lame anyway, it's a way to pretend you've cut the price without actually doing so.

Regarding the phone design, I think it's an interesting idea, but there are too many practical considerations that need to be addressed. If I was in the market for a phone, I want to experience how it's implemented before seriously considering it.
  • Reply 91 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This thing is like two "average" Android device surgically stitched together..

So it's twice as average?
  • Reply 92 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It begs the question... what happens with each Android update?

That was my 2nd thought right after "oooh - that thing is butt ugly".

Only my opinion - before everyone screams fanboy or some other such nonsense I believe I am still entitled to my own opinion.
  • Reply 93 of 171
    It's a curious concept for a smartphone, but ultimately flawed in that people can only focus (with their eyes) on one thing at a time anyway. Having two screens, functioning independently, is a clunky and inefficient attempt at multitasking, which already lets you juggle as many tasks (apps) as you like. And having the two screens work together will be awkward at best, and (I imagine) a coding challenge for developers.

As smartphones become more powerful and capable, simplicity of operation and ease of use should be the driving factors to attract consumers and keep them satisfied and loyal. And the Echo is such a power hog it needs to come with a spare battery? C'mon! This thing shouldn't have made it out of R&D, much less to market several years too late. It'll be gone faster than the Kin.
  • Reply 94 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

That was my 2nd thought right after "oooh - that thing is butt ugly".

Only my opinion - before everyone screams fanboy or some other such nonsense I believe I am still entitled to my own opinion.

You're obviously biased, and, as such, are not entitled to an opinion, fanboi.
  • Reply 95 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, a product shouldn't have a rebate on introduction, though it's been done before. Rebates are pretty lame anyway, it's a way to pretend you've cut the price without actually doing so.

I think it's an interesting idea, but there are too many practical considerations that need to be addressed.

I've been waiting for a law suit to take this on for years. Kind of like the way all competitions now have to add in fine print or speech running x10 the speed that "Purchasing not required to participate". In this case it would be (assuming the law suit won) "Rebate immediately available upon purchase."
  • Reply 96 of 171
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Some people on here need to get a life and not constantly bash anything and everything that isn't from Apple.

You may want to note the website name: AppleInsider

People on this site are understandably pro-Apple ... but the Kyocera design is a bit thick. Simpler is better, and Kyocera has just added a layer of complexity. Not for me, but for some perhaps.
  • Reply 97 of 171
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vjo,npd View Post

Android is not single phone the operating system is already more successful than the iPhone because it is on so many phones. It is like saying BlackBerry will never have a phone as successful as the iPhone of course not they offer there operating system on a lot of phones.

Funny that even all phones together that RIM sells, sell less well than the iPhone.
  • Reply 98 of 171
    Companies that don't think design and functionality go together end up producing things like this phone. I am not convinced that having two screens offers me any benefit - and that means they're not selling me on it. Two screens for what? To see two emails at the same time? I'm pretty good about multi-tasking, but I haven't nailed the reading multiple pages at the same time thing yet.

Maybe having two screens is perfect for when you break one you still have a second one to use?
  • Reply 99 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

If the battery holds, it may be a nice product to have around. But not for me

It already states that it comes with a spare battery. They are essentially warning you this thing wont last long enough for you to finish what you are doing.
  • Reply 100 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Companies that don't think design and functionality go together end up producing things like this phone. I am not convinced that having two screens offers me any benefit - and that means they're not selling me on it. Two screens for what? To see two emails at the same time? I'm pretty good about multi-tasking, but I haven't nailed the reading multiple pages at the same time thing yet.

Maybe having two screens is perfect for when you break one you still have a second one to use?

Maybe, by use of the two in screen cameras I assume it will have, it's so you can see the side of your head while combing your hair?