HP to take on with Apple with webOS-based TouchPad, Pre 3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 196
    I hope this will prompt Apple to spice up iOS with optional widgets, lockscreen info, an iphone mini and offer an iphone slider.

I don't see anything here that screams better than Apple's iOS offerings but I must say those products are the closest challengers I've seen since the birth of the iPhone. Good for HP, good for the competition, good for us.. the consumers.

Now, next time I buy an HP laptop I think I wouldn't decline if they gave me touchpad for free lol
  • Reply 42 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

For some reason I get a good feeling from this offering that I don't get from Android tablets.

Apple rip-off presentation: CHECK!

Apple rip-off tablet: CHECK!

Apple rip-off laptop design: CHECK!

Apple rip-ff phone design: not quite. lol.

Overall Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

True Multitasking: Oh wait.....

Proper Notification: yeah.....

Phone - Tablet Integration : You can do that???!

Device web page transfer: huh???

Time Magazine vs The Daily : You decide...LOL

PC - Tablet Integration : Wha??!

how is that for ya...
  • Reply 43 of 196
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I hate HP, their products suck and their tech support sucks. This is HP reinventing itself like we saw with Apple. We will see.
  • Reply 44 of 196
    I like it. This would be the tablet I would get if I were in the market. However 6 months out? No price? No battery life? Great idea, bad current execution.
  • Reply 45 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

That's better than placing the tablet in a glass casing for everyone to just stare at and play some fancy videos like RIM did.

They also have demo units for a hands on after they introduction ... the touchpad looks good.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/h...irst-hands-on/
  • Reply 46 of 196
    Not releasing a non hardware keyboard 3.5" - 4" phone to compete with the iPhone and any number of Android and wp7 devices is the single most idiotic move by HP period.
  • Reply 47 of 196
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The burst of tablets on the scene, all running different operating systems, reminds me of the the personal computer revolution in the late 70's when everyone and their dog was releasing a different, incompatible platform. Apple also lead that pack with their wildly popular Apple II.
  • Reply 48 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No pricing. No battery life.

No real availability date, either:

SUMMER SOLSTICE\tJune 21, 1:16 P.M. EDT

FALL EQUINOX\tSeptember 23, 5:05 A.M. EDT
  • Reply 49 of 196
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can see lots of uses for the technology -- using NFC.

You buy stuff at the store, gas station or supermarket:

-- you wave or bump your phone against the POST (Point Of Sale Terminal), cash register, cc machine

-- your payment is digitally sent and recorded

-- your detailed receipt is digitally returned

Boom!

There's no evidence that this is NFC. it could be Bluetooth, or WiFi. They surely would hve mentioned NFC, and it would be on their web site.
  • Reply 50 of 196
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of "cartoon" interfaces either

Aha, that's the term i was looking for. No doubt it's a standard label in the industry?
  • Reply 51 of 196
    Looks pretty good, "Some internet dude" predict it will do well in the market. Soon there will be three Android, iOS, and webOS. Sorry MS you had a great chance to get in the market but that horrible Win Phone 7 UI messed it up for you, It may be possible to help your situation by offering an option to turn those tiles off. But i'm afraid what lurks underneath is not that much prettier.
  • Reply 52 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The burst of tablets on the scene, all running different operating systems, reminds me of the the personal computer revolution in the late 70's when everyone and their dog was releasing a different, incompatible platform. Apple also lead that pack with their wildly popular Apple II.

Then Gates stole the interface, made the PC and Apple was temporarily forgotten. Who will be the Bill Gates of this generation.
  • Reply 53 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I wouldn't be so sure. There are a lot of people out there for whom a traditional PC (especially running Windows, so some segment of HP's customer base) is just way too complicated, to the point where they use it as little as possible and fear it like a trip to the dentist. I think they might be able to sell more than a few of these to those living in PC fear. I think Apple could probably sell more than a few keyboard+mouse iOS PCs to the same demographic.

If they can't get traditional programs for their "computer", it won't fly. Remember all those Linux netbooks that were out there in the beginning? Linux fanboys were jumping up and down that this was the beginning of the Linux desktop revolution - until people began returning them, and Ms came out with XP Starter for netbooks.

I don't see this doing so much better. People will ask if Office will work on this, along with other programs that won't. And then there's Chrome from Google. That won't sell either.
  • Reply 54 of 196
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Yeah I think you'll be able to run iPad apps in Lion's full screen mode. This will eventually lead to one app running across all OS X devices/computers natively.

I don't think that will happen, if you mean on Mac OS X Lion.
  • Reply 55 of 196
    After a lifetime of receiving HORRIBLE customer service (and crappy products) from both HP and Palm, I would NEVER AGAIN purchase ANYTHING made by HP.
  • Reply 56 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

It doesn't have to be all-new ideas, features. Apple has never been feature-centric.

The interesting thing here is HP taking control of the software.

You dont have to make brand new eye poping features, you need to make your features work better than your competitors.

WebOS may or may not be able to do that, but this is the first truly intriguing, non-apple entry into the mobile space in the last couple years in my mind.

No. This isn't just about new ideas. It's about having a reason to buy into this. I didn't see you give a good reason for doing so. What really compelling reason would people have for buying one of these other than just not liking Apple, or Android, or whatever. They then are buying it for a negative reason. not a positive one. That's a bad reason. It's also a fickle one.

Really, what's so "intriguing about this? Touching two of your devices to send a web page, or an e-mail? Really? I get my e-mails on both devices now. Ad moving a web page, or some other info is nice, but hardly a major leap in usefulness.

For people to move to this, it's got to have something compelling. I see nothing compelling here.
  • Reply 57 of 196
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Are these specs confirmed? You mean they really try to clone the iPad and then use a TN panel? I am not interested in the device, but I certainly hope that is not true.
  • Reply 58 of 196
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    I really wish people would stop calling these things rip-offs. The iPad uses a 1024x768 display, like tens of millions of PCs did 5-6 years ago. It's the right display ratio for tablets in IMO and so of course, any sensible competitor will also use that ratio. It's not copying to arrive at the same obvious conclusion as the guy before you did.

Tablets need a bezel, to prevent accidental contact with the screen when the device is held. Black is the only real choice of colour for this bezel.

These two things alone mean many tablets will look like the iPad. I don't see anything else very iPad-like in this HP tablet.

I actually find it quite refreshing to see an Apple competitor actually looking like they might have the big picture mentality to actually create something capable of taking on iOS. HP are a big, big player and these seem like nice enough devices for their first foray into this sector.

Ultimately, these things will stand or fall on the strength of Palm OS. I have never used it so I cannot say how I rate their chances, but just looking at the home screen there it immediately scores brownie points over Android with it's horrid, cluttered look.
  • Reply 59 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I hate HP, their products suck and their tech support sucks. This is HP reinventing itself like we saw with Apple. We will see.

Let's not "hate" companies for reason you gave, true or not. Hp's a good company. They didn't do anything underhanded to get where they are. save your hate for those who did, or those who really screwed people.

Remember that there are people who "hate" Apple as well, for similarly personal reasons.
  • Reply 60 of 196
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If they can't get traditional programs for their "computer", it won't fly. Remember all those Linux netbooks that were out there in the beginning? Linux fanboys were jumping up and down that this was the beginning of the Linux desktop revolution - until people began returning them, and Ms came out with XP Starter for netbooks.

I don't see this doing so much better. People will ask if Office will work on this, along with other programs that won't. And then there's Chrome from Google. That won't sell either.

This would be more like the anti-Linux, so I don't think the analogy applies.

I don't think Chrome is going anywhere, either, but, there's a whole group of people out there who are totally and completely afraid to use their computers. A lot of them are people who didn't grow up with computers (for example, many "grandparents" today). But, they'd like to be able to load their pictures onto their computers, email them to friends and relatives, do a little light web browsing now and then, video chat with the grandkids, and so on. A desktop or laptop form factor with the simplicity of iOS would have a certain appeal to these people. They could care less about Microsoft Office, and would be very happy for someone to tell them they don't need it.