HP to take on with Apple with webOS-based TouchPad, Pre 3

Comments

• Reply 61 of 196
    The pad's nice, the phone lame.
  • Reply 62 of 196
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

These two things alone mean many tablets will look like the iPad. I don't see anything else very iPad-like in this HP tablet.

You mean like the email application that looks almost 100% like the one on the iPad. But you would certainly say, that all email apps look the same. And like every other device on earth it has a dock... Yeah, really no alternatives to all that.

Bad thing is, they are not even good at copying... the email app has all the buttons on the bottom of the screen... try to use those while having the device sitting in the lap. A good copy is not all that easy it seems.
  • Reply 63 of 196
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Looking at a hands on demo video of the touchpad, I have to say Apple could take a few ques from this new WebOS implementation. Quite well done and solves some nagging ipad issues in an elegant way. Downside is the Summer availability and hopefully ipad 2 (April?) and an updated ios will compensate. nevertheless, well done HP I thought.
  • Reply 64 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I keep thinking about how all the tablets that are coming out look like the iPad. But really, what can they do?

Isn't it funny how this is always the case...until Apple comes up with something!?
  • Reply 65 of 196
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No real availability date, either:

SUMMER SOLSTICE\tJune 21, 1:16 P.M. EDT

FALL EQUINOX\tSeptember 23, 5:05 A.M. EDT

I'm pretty sure they only announced now because the iPhone is on Verizon, the iPad2 will be out soon, and Android Honeycomb will be here shortly in the Xoom, and others by summer.

The products are likely not nearly ready, except for a few demo units, used under controlled conditions. They possibly aren't even sure about pricing (though, it's possible they're waiting for Apple's pricing, though how much wiggle room they have is a question). Same thing with battery life. The battery is almost as powerful as the ones Apple is using in the present iPad. But until the software is finished, and possibly even the hardware, they won't know what the battery life will be.
  • Reply 66 of 196
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    It's not surprising to see some people trying their hardest to dismiss this thing as a failure before it even gets out of the gate, but I'm pleased to see that this attitude isn't as abundant as it is in other threads involving competing technology. I guess there's no denying this thing's potential.

Multitasking on this thing is great, obviously, but I also like the notifications and the communication between a phone running webOS to a tablet running it. Was there more info on the PC's running it and how they would communicate?

Apparently they're very focused on cloud data also, which I used to not be so sold on before, but has grown on me.

Pricing will be key since it's coming out after the ipad 2 and Xoom, but if it wasn't an issue, right now this is the tablet I would go with from a productivity standpoint. Being able to play games is fine and all, but this thing will shine most with business users I think.

Apple really pushed HP/Palm to step their game up, I love it. Now I can't wait to see Apple's response with the ipad2...
  • Reply 67 of 196
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:

No. This isn't just about new ideas. It's about having a reason to buy into this. I didn't see you give a good reason for doing so. What really compelling reason would people have for buying one of these other than just not liking Apple, or Android, or whatever. They then are buying it for a negative reason. not a positive one. That's a bad reason. It's also a fickle one.

Really, what's so "intriguing about this? Touching two of your devices to send a web page, or an e-mail? Really? I get my e-mails on both devices now. Ad moving a web page, or some other info is nice, but hardly a major leap in usefulness.

For people to move to this, it's got to have something compelling. I see nothing compelling here.

Why do you keep bringing up this stupid touch to transfer thing? I never mentioned it at all. I agree with you on what that brings in real life use.

I didn't give a reason because I'm not selling it. ******

What HP is doing with webOS is intriguing because they will have control and webOS seems fairly polished. There is so much we don't know yet though, I can't draw conclusions.

I just think HP maybe has the first shot at a winning combination to compete with apple.

So much left to see, regarding the devs and content providers and the access HP will provide them and at what cost....

There is so much up in the air, but your dismissal seems as fickle and presumptuous as it would be for someone to claim this is going to be better than apple's offerings.
  • Reply 68 of 196
    Rubinstein is HP's tool.

Total Apple rip off from top to bottom. Just look at that Rubinstein up there thinking he's Steve Jobs. That was probably his dream for years. But as soon as those honeycomb tablets drop all over the place that webos tablet will be toast cause the honeycomb tablets will be cheap as a 25 cent crack *****! Believe that. Rubinstein will be shown the door soon after. He and Palm were brought in just so HP can get so street creed in tablets.
  • Reply 69 of 196
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Looks interesting, if anything... they made it look like yet another iPad clone.

We have to get past this 'ipad clone' thing. All tablets from now on will look more or less the same - basically a flat screen with some very few discreet ports / controls on the bezel. The criticism is pointless.

I am not sure if HP can gain enough traction to make WebOS take off but I would not count them out. In a few years WebOS could well be an OS force on par with OSX, WinOS and Chrome / Android OS. We have only just left the starting gate.
  • Reply 70 of 196
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

The pad's nice, the phone lame.

short and true lol

The slide out keyboard is a turn off for a lot of people. Would have been nice to see a version without the keyboard altogether, in favor of a thinner device...
  • Reply 71 of 196
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

You mean like the email application that looks almost 100% like the one on the iPad. But you would certainly say, that all email apps look the same. And like every other device on earth it has a dock... Yeah, really no alternatives to all that.

Bad thing is, they are not even good at copying... the email app has all the buttons on the bottom of the screen... try to use those while having the device sitting in the lap. A good copy is not all that easy it seems.

I'm drowning in the sarcasm. But yes, I would say a dock is a pretty universal idea. Dock, taskbar, call it what you will it's just an obvious idea. Every culture on earth invented the wheel, or did they all just copy the first guy? Some ideas are just blindingly obvious.
  • Reply 72 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Are these specs confirmed? You mean they really try to clone the iPad and then use a TN panel? I am not interested in the device, but I certainly hope that is not true.

It's on their website.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/pads...pad/index.html
  • Reply 73 of 196
    Quote:

I don't see any of this doing well. Not a single thing that wasn't "cute" as a new feature. Touching devices is cute, but not very useful. And that was the biggest feature update.

Quote:

What was there about the tablet that got to you? I couldn't find anything. Same screen size. same resolution, but in obsolete 18 bit color. Really, these days on a tablet? I guess the screen was cheaper.

The rest of the features looked as though they came out of a rumors site for the iPad2, except that there's only one camera, for video calls. Otherwise, nothing of note.

I noticed the 18-bit color thing too -- Odd to skimp on that! Maybe they're using iPad display rejects

On the live blog I was following:

Quote:

11:46

[Comment From Gues]

@Jason Snell @jniccolai any feature or features you want to really try out if and when you get a hands on?

11:46

Jason Snell: I like to check scrolling responsiveness, using the app stacks, getting a general feel of how snappy the thing feels. Ability to scroll seamlessly would seem to be table stakes, yet lots of devices utterly fail with juddery scrolling.

... so not a lot of exciting new stuff!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

It doesn't have to be all-new ideas, features. Apple has never been feature-centric.

The interesting thing here is HP taking control of the software.

You dont have to make brand new eye poping features, you need to make your features work better than your competitors.

WebOS may or may not be able to do that, but this is the first truly intriguing, non-apple entry into the mobile space in the last couple years in my mind.

To bad that the WebOS isn't ready for shipment. That is somewhat surprising. What have they been doing?

HP does have an advantage that they build the hardware and, now, the software -- so they should be able to emulate Apple's tight integration.

But, they need to provide the potential customer -- a reason to wait and a reason to buy.

I just don't see that in any of the tablets that are being announced.

The iPad 1 doesn't have all the features and potential of some of these "coming" tablets -- but it's a helluva lot better than a spit and a promise!
  • Reply 74 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This would be more like the anti-Linux, so I don't think the analogy applies.

I don't think Chrome is going anywhere, either, but, there's a whole group of people out there who are totally and completely afraid to use their computers. A lot of them are people who didn't grow up with computers (for example, many "grandparents" today). But, they'd like to be able to load their pictures onto their computers, email them to friends and relatives, do a little light web browsing now and then, video chat with the grandkids, and so on. A desktop or laptop form factor with the simplicity of iOS would have a certain appeal to these people. They could care less about Microsoft Office, and would be very happy for someone to tell them they don't need it.

I think it's a fairly small market. Hp will really have to push this in a big way. The only things it has going for it is the Hp name, and the shelf space it will get them.
  • Reply 75 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Isn't it funny how this is always the case...until Apple comes up with something!?

Tablets are a very simple thing. Just a window into the software. They will tend to look alike, Apple or not.
  • Reply 76 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I noticed the 18-bit color thing too -- Odd to skimp on that! Maybe they're using iPad display rejects

On the live blog I was following:

... so not a lot of exciting new stuff!

To bad that the WebOS isn't ready for shipment. That is somewhat surprising. What have they been doing?

HP does have an advantage that they build the hardware and, now, the software -- so they should be able to emulate Apple's tight integration.

But, they need to provide the potential customer -- a reason to wait and a reason to buy.

I just don't see that in any of the tablets that are being announced.

The iPad 1 doesn't have all the features and potential of some of these "coming" tablets -- but it's a helluva lot better than a spit and a promise!

Dont get me wrong, I think the vague availability and no pricing an such is poor execution, but there really is no "need to wait" this market is going to be growing for some time.

What they need to do is come correct when they do release it. Including the pricing. Like I said above, there is still A LOT to learn about this thing.

But this is quite a bit bigger to me than anything RIM or various OEM/plastered with androids have brought to the table in my mind.
  • Reply 77 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It's not surprising to see some people trying their hardest to dismiss this thing as a failure before it even gets out of the gate, but I'm pleased to see that this attitude isn't as abundant as it is in other threads involving competing technology. I guess there's no denying this thing's potential.

Multitasking on this thing is great, obviously, but I also like the notifications and the communication between a phone running webOS to a tablet running it. Was there more info on the PC's running it and how they would communicate?

Apparently they're very focused on cloud data also, which I used to not be so sold on before, but has grown on me.

Pricing will be key since it's coming out after the ipad 2 and Xoom, but if it wasn't an issue, right now this is the tablet I would go with from a productivity standpoint. Being able to play games is fine and all, but this thing will shine most with business users I think.

Apple really pushed HP/Palm to step their game up, I love it. Now I can't wait to see Apple's response with the ipad2...

It isn't whether it is good or not. It seems pretty good. but being good isn't good enough. It's been agreed that WP7 is pretty good, but it's not been selling well. The original WebOS was pretty good, but it failed.

It has to have more than more popular, established devices to make a dent. Does this have that? I don't think so.
  • Reply 78 of 196
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I think it's a fairly small market. Hp will really have to push this in a big way. The only things it has going for it is the Hp name, and the shelf space it will get them.

Yeah, I don't have a real sense of exactly how big a market this is. It's definitely there, and I don't think it's tiny, but is it big enough to be worth getting into? I guess we'll see. I do think that if Apple decided to go into this market they would have a much better shot than HP at succeeding in it, so, perhaps the fact they haven't means it's not viable given the size of the target demographic, or maybe they just haven't gotten to it yet. (But, I don't see a merger between iOS and Mac OS, if Apple offered this, I think it would be as an alternative desktop/laptop experience (without touchscreen), not instead of the current one, at least not any time soon.)
  • Reply 79 of 196
    Quote:

Wow, that view seems so extremely narrow minded. I think the market for simpler personal computing is much much bigger than that.
  • Reply 80 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Why do you keep bringing up this stupid touch to transfer thing? I never mentioned it at all. I agree with you on what that brings in real life use.

I didn't give a reason because I'm not selling it. *****

What HP is doing with webOS is intriguing because they will have control and webOS seems fairly polished. There is so much we don't know yet though, I can't draw conclusions.

I just think HP maybe has the first shot at a winning combination to compete with apple.

So much left to see, regarding the devs and content providers and the access HP will provide them and at what cost....

There is so much up in the air, but your dismissal seems as fickle and presumptuous as it would be for someone to claim this is going to be better than apple's offerings.

Write like that again, and i'll be pulling your posts. do you understand?

Now, we all have reasons why we're impressed or dismissive. You gave yours, and I responded with mine. Hp spent a good 15 minutes on that one feature. I you looked at any of the live blogs, you would have noticed that they gave it a lot of talk as well. Obviously, Hp thinks this is a major feature. I think it's a minor one. You can respond back to my points, but keep it civil. If not, do it elsewhere.