HP to take on with Apple with webOS-based TouchPad, Pre 3

Comments

• Reply 81 of 196
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't whether it is good or not. It seems pretty good. but being good isn't good enough. It's been agreed that WP7 is pretty good, but it's not been selling well. The original WebOS was pretty good, but it failed.

It has to have more than more popular, established devices to make a dent. Does this have that? I don't think so.

I wouldn't say webOS failed, I'd say Palm failed at showing what webOS was capable of, and THEY failed. WebOS clearly didn't fail as HP bought it right up and continued on with it (thank goodness) and now we have a decent tablet here.

If HP can advertise this thing correctly (not some weird ginger sitting on a rock) it should do well.
  • Reply 82 of 196
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

To bad that the WebOS isn't ready for shipment. That is somewhat surprising. What have they been doing?

HP does have an advantage that they build the hardware and, now, the software -- so they should be able to emulate Apple's tight integration.

But, they need to provide the potential customer -- a reason to wait and a reason to buy.

I just don't see that in any of the tablets that are being announced.

The iPad 1 doesn't have all the features and potential of some of these "coming" tablets -- but it's a helluva lot better than a spit and a promise!

Stacks were interesting, but they're a slightly better take on - folders, which is what they are. If Apple had called theirs Stacks, what would Hp have had to call theirs, folders?
  • Reply 83 of 196
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Write like that again, and i'll be pulling your posts. do you understand?

Now, we all have reasons why we're impressed or dismissive. You gave yours, and I responded with mine. Hp spent a good 15 minutes on that one feature. I you looked at any of the live blogs, you would have noticed that they gave it a lot of talk as well. Obviously, Hp thinks this is a major feature. I think it's a minor one. You can respond back to my points, but keep it civil. If not, do it elsewhere.

I already did, anything I didn't respond to was something you misinterpreted as a point I was making.

Do I understand? Yeah I understand that you are incredibly condescending for what is supposed to be a legit moderator. Hence my poor choice of words to describe that.

Do you understand that you didn't need to add a "do you understand" when you aren't talking to a 3-year old?

I responded already to your comments that actually applied to my posts. You can help the keeping it civil part yourself by not responding to other people's post in such a condescending manner.
  • Reply 84 of 196
    Deleted
  • Reply 85 of 196
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure they only announced now because the iPhone is on Verizon, the iPad2 will be out soon, and Android Honeycomb will be here shortly in the Xoom, and others by summer.

The products are likely not nearly ready, except for a few demo units, used under controlled conditions. They possibly aren't even sure about pricing (though, it's possible they're waiting for Apple's pricing, though how much wiggle room they have is a question). Same thing with battery life. The battery is almost as powerful as the ones Apple is using in the present iPad. But until the software is finished, and possibly even the hardware, they won't know what the battery life will be.

What does that say about RIM's approach? IMO RIM's approach seems much more desperate in that light in trying to stay the hands of buyers and stockholders.....over the course of the last year with the playbook
  • Reply 86 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

They also have demo units for a hands on after they introduction ... the touchpad looks good.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/h...irst-hands-on/

Mmm...

I watched the video and was a bit disappointed with the speed.

I am running the 4.3 Beta on my iPad and it equals or outperforms the TouchPad:

-- most * full screen App scrolling vs partial screen Card scrolling

-- web page loading

-- create new email

* Some existing iPad apps do not full-screen scroll well as they always refresh content from the web

Both were prerelease OSes.
  • Reply 87 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Wow, that view seems so extremely narrow minded. I think the market for simpler personal computing is much much bigger than that.

Then I might as well say that you're wildly optimistic.

i'm not saying that the market for simpler computing is too small. I just think that this is something new and unknown. We don't know if it will be successful. Do you? Right now, people are going for iPads when they want something simple. But you can get apps for it. Right now, what can you ge for this? Vry little. Most of the WebOS apps that have been out are of a techie kind, not something for grandma.

You can always use Simple Finder on your Mac for simpler users. It's almost as good as iOS for that purpose right now.

The problem with OS's like WebOS for this purpose, is how is it going to grow? I know a bunch of people who grew with their computers over time. Will they be able to grow with this?

Hp was pushing HTML and Java development for this as web apps. Maybe you remember how popular they proved to be on the iPhone when Apple announced them?

But computers seemed to be a ways of for Hp according to their presentation, so we'll see what they really do with it.
  • Reply 88 of 196
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    The tablet looks interesting - something that could legitimately challenge iPads provided they are well-made. WebOS gives HP a distinct advantage currently only enjoyed by Apple and RIM.

The biggest hurdle for this is going to be the ecosystem where Apple enjoys a huge advantage. Also, it looks like there will be only web apps - no native apps may limit what can be done in a program.
  • Reply 89 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I wouldn't say webOS failed, I'd say Palm failed at showing what webOS was capable of, and THEY failed. WebOS clearly didn't fail as HP bought it right up and continued on with it (thank goodness) and now we have a decent tablet here.

If HP can advertise this thing correctly (not some weird ginger sitting on a rock) it should do well.

Failed, as in the company would have gone out of business if they weren't bought.

Next was a failure as well until Apple bought it. So it depends on how we use the word.

But very few people bought into WebOS. I tried it for several days, borrowing a friends phone. It was clumsy. Yes, in a geeky way, it was great. I could have used it. But when i gave it to people to try, they couldn't figure out how to use it. If I gave the same people my iPhone, they could. That's the problem WebOS has had.
  • Reply 90 of 196
    Quote:

Then I might as well say that you're wildly optimistic.

i'm not saying that the market for simpler computing is too small. I just think that this is something new and unknown. We don't know if it will be successful. Do you? Right now, people are going for iPads when they want something simple. But you can get apps for it. Right now, what can you ge for this? Vry little. Most of the WebOS apps that have been out are of a techie kind, not something for grandma.

You can always use Simple Finder on your Mac for simpler users. It's almost as good as iOS for that purpose right now.

The problem with OS's like WebOS for this purpose, is how is it going to grow? I know a bunch of people who grew with their computers over time. Will they be able to grow with this?

Hp was pushing HTML and Java development for this as web apps. Maybe you remember how popular they proved to be on the iPhone when Apple announced them?

But computers seemed to be a ways of for Hp according to their presentation, so we'll see what they really do with it.

I would never claim to KNOW, its more, "I suspect"....

The Mac will never play into this discussion IMO, with the price points they are set at.

iPad? yes....

I agree it did seem well off....like I said this is a newborn for them I don't know where its going exactly...... too many details in the fog.

My only real concrete opinion is that this has real potential for HP, as you pointed out they have a strong retail presence, real buying power re:components, and if webOS is a hit, then a real OS to build from.

That is something unmatched by any other non-apple manufacturer right now. That is what is intriguing to me.
  • Reply 91 of 196
    Quote:

What was there about the tablet that got to you? I couldn't find anything. Same screen size. same resolution, but in obsolete 18 bit color. Really, these days on a tablet? I guess the screen was cheaper...

My bar is a bit lower I guess.

Substitute "real tablet that actually looks useable" for "interesting" in my sentence.

IMO the Playbook will never really even ship or be used by anyone, the Xoom is a POS that won't sell, and the Tab is a joke. This on the other hand, (if it ever arrives/ships), looks like it might be a useful device that's reasonably well designed.
  • Reply 92 of 196
    Quote:

I already did, anything I didn't respond to was something you misinterpreted as a point I was making.

Do I understand? Yeah I understand that you are incredibly condescending for what is supposed to be a legit moderator. Hence my poor choice of words to describe that.

Do you understand that you didn't need to add a "do you understand" when you aren't talking to a 3-year old?

I responded already to your comments that actually applied to my posts. You can help the keeping it civil part yourself by not responding to other people's post in such a condescending manner.

I'm sorry if you think I was condescending, but it doesn't excuse the direct insults.
  • Reply 93 of 196
    Quote:

I keep thinking about how all the tablets that are coming out look like the iPad. But really, what can they do? All tablets are pretty much alike in form. Unless they go for a 16:9 screen, which is good for Tv and movies, but bad for everything else, the shape is going to be about the same. They've all got to have a clean flat face, with about the same amount of margin around the screen. Rounded corners, but not too much, so that it doesn't cut into the holding area. Few buttons. Thin, with a small border around the edge. What else can it look like? It's just the software that will make it look different, once it's on.

This is one issue that should be laid to ret.

I disagree completely.

Look at their phones. They obviously think that physical keyboards and a more oval-ish shape matter to their target segment.

Why not put a stake in the ground and create a like-looking Touchpad with a physical keyboard and similar shape to that of their phone? It would at least have had the elan (and boldness) of design parallelism.
  • Reply 94 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Are these specs confirmed? You mean they really try to clone the iPad and then use a TN panel? I am not interested in the device, but I certainly hope that is not true.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/pads...pad/index.html
  • Reply 95 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The burst of tablets on the scene, all running different operating systems, reminds me of the the personal computer revolution in the late 70's when everyone and their dog was releasing a different, incompatible platform. Apple also lead that pack with their wildly popular Apple II.

Ya' mean like Kentucky Fried Computers, Smoke Signal Broadcasting, Ohio Scientific...

I sold an Altair to an early customer of our computer store.

Sigh!
  • Reply 96 of 196
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    *in Suze Orman's voice* HP Web OS you are APPROVED!
  • Reply 97 of 196
    Quote:

What does that say about RIM's approach? IMO RIM's approach seems much more desperate in that light in trying to stay the hands of buyers and stockholders.....over the course of the last year with the playbook

I think RIM has a big problem. In a recent survey of CIO's for large corporations, of the large majority who said they would be buying tablets for their company, 78% said they would be buying iPads (or already were), 9% said Playbooks, and 2% said Windows tablets.

RIM is being forced to come out with something, but like Microsoft, they're afraid to do something that will negatively impact their established business, hence, the requirement for a BB for connection to their servers.

That's the big problem, as well as unknown battery life and pricing. But also, no one has seen an almost finished tablet, and it's close to the introduction.
  • Reply 98 of 196
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    If HP can create a Davlik wrapper so this can run Android apps as well, it will get a bunch of Android users who like WebOS better, but want the app catalogue of Android.
  • Reply 99 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I actually find it quite refreshing to see an Apple competitor actually looking like they might have the big picture mentality to actually create something capable of taking on iOS.

What does 'big picture mentality' mean? Care to elaborate? For instance, why does Motorola or Samsung not have a big picture mentality in what they are previewing? How will big picture mentality translate to an actual product strategy?

Your comment sounds (I am mixing metaphors)... well... big picture!
  • Reply 100 of 196
    Quote:

I think RIM has a big problem. In a recent survey of CIO's for large corporations, of the large majority who said they would be buying tablets for their company, 78% said they would be buying iPads (or already were), 9% said Playbooks, and 2% said Windows tablets.

RIM is being forced to come out with something, but like Microsoft, they're afraid to do something that will negatively impact their established business, hence, the requirement for a BB for connection to their servers.

That's the big problem, as well as unknown battery life and pricing. But also, no one has seen an almost finished tablet, and it's close to the introduction.

I agree. And now a month or two later, that big interview with Mike Lazaridis....well he seems more lost looking back than the day of the interview.

Its hard to see RIM with a bright future right now.