Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    I'm not using the Mac App Store again until they figure out a way to get me XCode patches in a form smaller than 4.5g

Optical disc, here I come!
  • Reply 22 of 131
    pro: one less disc to keep track of. my family already lost my iWork disc.

cons: what if i want to format the hard drive and restart from scratch? or even just archive and install? what if i completely replace my hard drive? what if i want to sell my mac and get a new one, would i retain the license or would the buyer get it? how would they reinstall the OS after I wipe the hard drive? how long is this going to take to download? will we be able and authorized to burn our own install DVDs from the downloaded software?
  • Reply 23 of 131
    mex4ericmex4eric Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewisdorigo View Post

I?m quite interested in what this means for the license for OS X.

Correct me if I?m wrong, but in the past, the OS X EULA only allowed for it to be installed on a single Mac unless you bought the Family Pack which allowed 4, if I remember correctly (of course, there was nothing stopping you from installing the single license version on multiple Macs).

The Mac App Store only allows software, with a license to be installed on any Mac owned by the same person.

Will the version of Lion available on the Mac App Store be under the same license as the rest of the software on the Store, or will the make an exemption for OS X?

I have been expecting this and partly for this "family" feature of the Mac App Store. Pay once, pay less and use on all your machines in the house (only 2 in my house today with Snow Leopard).
  • Reply 24 of 131
    okboyokboy Posts: 10member
    Anyone want to guess what it will cost?

I know Snow Leopard was like $30, but that wasn't a feature-rich update.
  • Reply 25 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

Nope thanks I am going to do it like I always do.

Enter CD,

Format disk,

Install OS,

Restore some Files via TimeCapsule (not Applications)

Not sure if I can do a fresh install when I download it via the AppStore but I quess not. After Formatting I wouldn't have a boot image... (They could of corse make use of my 8 GB of Ram).

Other Problem: If my harddrive dies or I feel I need to change it, there is no way of getting the OS it on there without a CD/USB drive.

By the way: If they offer USB pendrives with the OS I will take those ...

OS X Lion makes a partition on the Hard Disk, and you install via that rather than an installer on the main partition, allowing you to format your disk if you want to (the install partition is hidden, so you don’t need to worry about accidentally format that).

The install also creates a Restore partition, which you can use to reinstall Lion if there are ever any problems.

That’s how it is in the developer previews, at least.
  • Reply 26 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewisdorigo View Post

The install also creates a Restore partition, which you can use to reinstall Lion if there are ever any problems.

that won't do a lot of good if your hard drive fails, or if you decide to replace it.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    I for one see this as another example of what a fwd thinking company Apple is. I agree with the positive comments above. No tracking fedex (no fuel wasted either by a 747 from China or the local truck) No packaging waste, and no fuel wasted by me going to the Apple store to get it. Win, Win all around. Gotta think of the planet!

As far as backups...the best way is to have a laptop and an iMac (and DropBox). The chances of both crashing at the same time is very small. That way you will never miss a beat while one is being repaired.

I also have a backup ext. HD.

Granted, I mainly use both Apples for business and I can see a non business user not wanting to spend the money on two computers.

Really recommend the SmartReporter free app. (No Affiliation)

It has a little green HD icon up in the menu bar next to the clock....when things start going awry it turns red. Happened to me once...saw the red icon. Took it to Apple store, had 1 month remaining on AppleCare and they replaced the drive! Pretty cool.

I would attach a small screen image but don't know how to do that.. Here's link: http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

Best
  • Reply 28 of 131
    mex4ericmex4eric Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

pro: one less disc to keep track of. my family already lost my iWork disc.

cons: what if i want to format the hard drive and restart from scratch? or even just archive and install? what if i completely replace my hard drive? what if i want to sell my mac and get a new one, would i retain the license or would the buyer get it? how would they reinstall the OS after I wipe the hard drive? how long is this going to take to download? will we be able and authorized to burn our own install DVDs from the downloaded software?

Seems to me the Store remembers you bought the software and lets you download it again if you have a disk accident or add another Mac to your household. That's how it works now for ordinary apps and there is no reason to think the OS wouldn't be treated like any other app now.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I'd like to see them offer it on SD cards or the USB key that comes with the MacBook Airs.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I want a new iMac, but don't want to buy now then have to pop for Lion a few months later. Anyone know if the new Snow Leopard iMacs come with a "coupon" to upgrade to Lion when it's out? I seem to recall there was a certain number of days/weeks/months that Apple allowed for this in the past.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mex4eric View Post

Seems to me the Store remembers you bought the software and lets you download it again if you have a disk accident or add another Mac to your household. That's how it works now for ordinary apps and there is no reason to think the OS wouldn't be treated like any other app now.

the ability to download it again is great. if you need to format your hard drive and you loose your copy of iWork, you can reinstall the OS from a disc and then redownload iWork for free...

... but do you see the logical problem there? if you need to format your hard drive and you lose your OS and access to the app store, how do you get your OS and access to the app store if you need your OS and access to the app store to get it?
  • Reply 32 of 131
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I want a new iMac, but don't want to buy now then have to pop for Lion a few months later. Anyone know if the new Snow Leopard iMacs come with a "coupon" to upgrade to Lion when it's out? I seem to recall there was a certain number of days/weeks/months that Apple allowed for this in the past.

The free upgrade usually applies after the OS has been announced but before it ships. You need to wait until after WWDC at least to learn the answer to your question.
  • Reply 33 of 131
    Quote:

if you need to format your hard drive and you loose your OS and access to the app store, how do you get your OS and access to the app store if you need your OS and access to the app store to get it?

If your back pocket is loose, you may lose your wallet.

Just a PSA, no judgement on the quality of the ideas in your post.
  • Reply 34 of 131
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I for one see this as another example of what a fwd thinking company Apple is. I agree with the positive comments above. No tracking fedex (no fuel wasted either by a 747 from China or the local truck) No packaging waste, and no fuel wasted by me going to the Apple store to get it. Win, Win all around. Gotta think of the planet!

As far as backups...the best way is to have a laptop and an iMac (and DropBox). The chances of both crashing at the same time is very small. That way you will never miss a beat while one is being repaired.

I also have a backup ext. HD.

Granted, I mainly use both Apples for business and I can see a non business user not wanting to spend the money on two computers.

Really recommend the SmartReporter free app. (No Affiliation)

It has a little green HD icon up in the menu bar next to the clock....when things start going awry it turns red. Happened to me once...saw the red icon. Took it to Apple store, had 1 month remaining on AppleCare and they replaced the drive! Pretty cool.

I would attach a small screen image but don't know how to do that.. Here's link: http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

Best

So if you have an older machine out of warranty and the hard drive takes a dump and has to be physically replaced, how are you going to get the OS back on there if you like to start from scratch and not use a backup? Some people only have that one Mac and the app store isn't available on Windows. This is why I prefer a hard copy option.

Of course we don't really know what Apple is going to do 100% anyways.....
  • Reply 35 of 131
    Quote:

if you need to format your hard drive and you loose [sic] your OS and access to the app store, how do you get your OS and access to the app store if you need your OS and access to the app store to get it?

You boot from your backup.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

The free upgrade usually applies after the OS has been announced but before it ships. You need to wait until after WWDC at least to learn the answer to your question.

Thanks, chabig. I will keep my wallet tightly in my back pocket until then.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    Quote:

If your back pocket is loose, you may lose your wallet.

I've never understood why people confuse those two, when there are so many phonetically similar words. It's pretty clear what the two 'o's sound like:

moose

goose

caboose
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

You boot from your backup.

what backup? we don't even know if backups are allowed or possible.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    Quote:

Thanks, chabig. I will keep my wallet tightly in my back pocket until then.

touché
  • Reply 40 of 131
    Quote:

what backup? we don't even know if backups are allowed or possible.

I wasn't talking about backing up the installer. That may or may not be available. I meant booting from the current backup of your machine.