Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Works great until the OS is hosed and you can't download the OS to your machine from the internet.

How about a backup?
  • Reply 82 of 131
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

well, I made a post that there wasn't an announcement on how this OS would differ from previous versions as far as making backup copies.

Well of course there wasn't an announcement about that, because there hasn't been an announcement of ANYTHING about how 10.7 will be distributed, including whether it will actually be available as a download or not.

THIS IS JUST A RUMOR at this point.

They'll talk about backup copies if and when they make an announcement that it will be available as a download. Until that announcement comes, this worst case scenario you're obsessed with exists only in your imagination.
  • Reply 83 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

How about a backup?

they may or may not allow backups. if they do, awesome, i'll definitely get the downloadable version and make a backup install disc immediately.

if they don't allow backups, i will not download Lion, and would highly suggest no one else does either, unless they don't mind having to buy an extra copy of Lion if they need to reinstall.

don't listen to the idiots who're assuming you'll be able to make backups. until it's confirmed, it's just wishful thinking.
  • Reply 84 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I got flamed when I suggested this might happen. However, I assume this is not confirmed so I won't be betting yet.
  • Reply 85 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

They'll talk about backup copies if and when they make an announcement that it will be available as a download. Until that announcement comes, this worst case scenario you're obsessed with exists only in your imagination.

i just said that downloading will be a bad deal unless you can make an install disc. that's not obsession, that's just a simple observation.
  • Reply 86 of 131
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Apple hasn't announced the details obviously, but doesn't it seem likely that a version downloaded from the app store would include the ability to create a bootable backup? Most likely on USB stick or any other hard drive. 10.7 already includes the functionality to create a restore partition, it wouldn't be hard to also create that same partition on an external disk, thumb drive or otherwise.

At least it is not there yet. If the current downloadable version of Lion would include the possibility to create a bootable disk from it, I am sure we would have heard it by now. (And I am listening very closely.)
  • Reply 87 of 131
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

don't listen to the idiots who're assuming you'll be able to make backups. until it's confirmed, it's just wishful thinking.

You're going on and on and on about how you're assuming backups will be unlikely, even though it's not confirmed...and the people who point that assumption out are the ones who are "idiots"?

Quote:

i just said that downloading will be a bad deal unless you can make an install disc. that's not obsession, that's just a simple observation.

No, I'd agree with that, but you've been saying that it's unlikely. I think that's an irresponsible and ignorant assumption to make, and that it's best to reserve judgement until there's a real announcement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

At least it is not there yet. If the current downloadable version of Lion would include the possibility to create a bootable disk from it, I am sure we would have heard it by now. (And I am listening very closely.)

The CURRENT downloadable version of Lion is a beta. You can't make any assumptions about public release based on that.
  • Reply 88 of 131
    Quote:

No, I'd agree with that, but you've been saying that it's unlikely. I think that's an irresponsible and ignorant assumption to make, and that it's best to reserve judgement until there's a real announcement.

it's 100% confirmed that all current and past versions of OS X don't have a backup option. I've tried it, I even bought a dual-layer disc specifically for the test, and DRM wouldn't allow it. People have found ways to make backups, sure, but it's not officially supported.

it's also 100% confirmed that no App Store purchases can be installed on a machine that isn't currently running 10.6.6 or later. If a hard drive is formatted or replaced, it obviously won't be running 10.6.6 or later.

i make no assumptions about what the future holds, you're just putting works in my mouth. i make statements about the likeliness of future events based on current evidence.
  • Reply 89 of 131
    casey4147casey4147 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I for one see this as another example of what a fwd thinking company Apple is. I agree with the positive comments above. No tracking fedex (no fuel wasted either by a 747 from China or the local truck) No packaging waste, and no fuel wasted by me going to the Apple store to get it. Win, Win all around. Gotta think of the planet!

As far as backups...the best way is to have a laptop and an iMac (and DropBox). The chances of both crashing at the same time is very small. That way you will never miss a beat while one is being repaired.

I also have a backup ext. HD.

Granted, I mainly use both Apples for business and I can see a non business user not wanting to spend the money on two computers.

Really recommend the SmartReporter free app. (No Affiliation)

It has a little green HD icon up in the menu bar next to the clock....when things start going awry it turns red. Happened to me once...saw the red icon. Took it to Apple store, had 1 month remaining on AppleCare and they replaced the drive! Pretty cool.

I would attach a small screen image but don't know how to do that.. Here's link: http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

Best

Unfortunately, what you describe is the failing point in the PC industry right now.

I had to work on a friend's laptop a few weeks ago, wouldn't boot into Windows 7. No restore DVD so I googled how to use the recovery partition and discovered that it was corrupted and couldn't be used. All I needed to do was run a repair so that Windows would boot again, but that wasn't possible as there was nothing viable to boot off of.

"Use your backup" doesn't work for consumers. They want the $299 laptop from Wal-Mart and expect that it'll do everything they need. We look at a $50 Passport drive as insurance but that isn't common wisdom.
  • Reply 90 of 131
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I've never understood why people confuse those two, when there are so many phonetically similar words. It's pretty clear what the two 'o's sound like:

moose

goose

caboose

The different sounds I hear when comparing "loose" and "lose" are not in the "o" sound. They both sound like "oo" to me. The difference to me is in the "s" sound. The former sounds like a traditional soft "s", and the latter sounds more like a "z". But that's just me.

Thompson
  • Reply 91 of 131
    kovacmkovacm Posts: 59member
    I can not belive that nobody mention Larry Ellison so far...

15 years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_tcdR_pQU

"Larry Ellison was so spot on. I mean this video was created like 15 years ago and he was already talking about shit that is only now being fully realized. What a visionary."

"My going to store, buying bits and bytes on piece of plastic... PUT STUF ON INTERNET!!"

...yes, we had to wait 15 years coz B. Gates had a monopoly on PC and he even slow down progress of computers just to maintain that monopoly!
  • Reply 92 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by casey4147 View Post

Unfortunately, what you describe is the failing point in the PC industry right now.

I had to work on a friend's laptop a few weeks ago, wouldn't boot into Windows 7. No restore DVD so I googled how to use the recovery partition and discovered that it was corrupted and couldn't be used. All I needed to do was run a repair so that Windows would boot again, but that wasn't possible as there was nothing viable to boot off of.

"Use your backup" doesn't work for consumers. They want the $299 laptop from Wal-Mart and expect that it'll do everything they need. We look at a $50 Passport drive as insurance but that isn't common wisdom.

My parents bought a Sony desktop a few years back. It gave the option to make a restore partition or burn reinstall DVDs.

Well, the hard drive failed in such a way that the partition was useless, and the burnt restore DVDs wouldn't do a fresh install either. I had to buy a retail copy of Windows XP to get their computer working again.

That's my concern with "Lion vs App Store". It'll have the same problems that my parent's Sony did unless the downloadable version can be used to create a physical copy identical to the retail version.
  • Reply 93 of 131
    After the mess Apple made of Xcode in the App Store, the last thing I'm about to do is trust them with an O/S update in the App Store.

http://www.google.com/search?q=app+s...ions.apple.com
  • Reply 94 of 131
    leeroyleeroy Posts: 27member
    I love the fact everything is moving away from optical media. The App Store is great, but if Apple do offer a physical option to purchase I hope they go with the same USB media they ship with the MacBook Air's. I have moved all my current OS install Discs to USB Flash drives, faster and more convenient.

I have also replaced the optical drive in my MacBooks with a SATA caddy and an additional 2.5" drive.
  • Reply 95 of 131
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

it's 100% confirmed that all current and past versions of OS X don't have a backup option. I've tried it, I even bought a dual-layer disc specifically for the test, and DRM wouldn't allow it. People have found ways to make backups, sure, but it's not officially supported.

I assume you mean Lion betas, because I have the Snow Leopard Install DVD copied to an external hard disk that I use for installs because it's much faster.
  • Reply 96 of 131
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I assume you mean Lion betas, because I have the Snow Leopard Install DVD copied to an external hard disk that I use for installs because it's much faster.

Me too. I've always kept a system backup on a small external drive. And if he doesn't want to do that, he can clone his internal drive to a backup, or use Time Machine. In any case, the Mac has always had backup options.
  • Reply 97 of 131
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    This will be useless to those of us stuck behind a corporate firewall that blocks most things Apple.
  • Reply 98 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

This will be useless to those of us stuck behind a corporate firewall that blocks most things Apple.

Why? If your company gives you a Mac, don't you think they'd install the update for you? And if they choose not to update, you probably shouldn't be doing it yourself.
  • Reply 99 of 131
    seqteqseqteq Posts: 4member
    As long as they make available the .iso (or img for a thumbdrive) and a checksum, I'm good with it.
  • Reply 100 of 131
    You people are hard to please. I like the move to the App Store, but I'll probably just buy the physical disc. Why not do the same?