Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At least person with knowledge of the situation claims that...

AppleInsider, perhaps it's now time for you to hire "native English speakers"?

Enough is enough with the misspellings and bad grammar!
  • Reply 102 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I wasn't quite sure what that picture was showing me. Are you suggesting have a 10.6 partition? That or install 10.6 on an external drive would work presumably.

I'm running Mac OS 9 in Lion. You can run your PowerPC apps in there.
  • Reply 103 of 131
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Works great until the OS is hosed and you can't download the OS to your machine from the internet.

SuperDuper!
  • Reply 104 of 131
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

and how long will this take to download?????

Legal BitTorrent for the MacStore would be sweet.
  • Reply 105 of 131
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    ... or for those who do not use Snow Leopard as author missed that fact.

We do not use it (we are on Leopard where Mac App Store is not available). The only reason not to go to Snow Leopard was idiotic policy by Adobe not to support it CS3 on Snow Leopard and we did not see why we need to spend money in subsequent years on upgrade for tools so just to stuff Adobe's pockets for thir laziness to simply keep releasing updates if something was so radically specific to Leopard that it would not work on Snow Leopard. We cannot afford playing games as we do run professional publishing studio for rather prominent clients in this country.

And also remember that printing shops and not Adobedictates in publishing what studios are supposed to use and many if not most biggest print studios DO NOT use latest and greatest from Adobe as opposed to common beliefs.
  • Reply 106 of 131
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

what backup?

The backup of your current drive. You do maintain a current, bootable backup, right?

Quote:

we don't even know if backups are allowed or possible.

Apple is suddenly going to somehow prevent you from backing up your hard drive?

As far as backing up the OS X installer from the App store, it is an app in the Applications folder.

After you download and before you install anything, one should always have a current backup of their hard drive.
  • Reply 107 of 131
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

it's 100% confirmed that all current and past versions of OS X don't have a backup option.

correct. There is not an option to make a backup. Just run disc utility and make a disc image then restore it to a DVD. NO tricks or hacks required.

Worked fine with Tiger and Leopard. Have't tried it with SL
  • Reply 108 of 131
    fltmanfltman Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I wasn't talking about backing up the installer. That may or may not be available. I meant booting from the current backup of your machine.

Unfortunately you can't boot from Time Machine. So I guess that I need Time Machine and another backup as well.
  • Reply 109 of 131
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Works great until the OS is hosed and you can't download the OS to your machine from the internet.

Perhaps. But they'll probably have a way for you to download the installation disk as a .dmg file, which you can then restore to a USB memory drive or USB HDD. Use the GUID partition table and your Mac can even boot from the USB drive. I installed Snow Leopard that way.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

can not wait for the day of superdrive-less machines... over the past 3 years, i used the superdrive on my mbp once. literally only once.

How do you ripp BDs and DVDs without an optical drive? I ripp stuff all the time. Pretty much every BD I buy I ripp and Handbrake into iTunes.
  • Reply 111 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would love to be able to purchase and download OS X, but I would prefer it was an ISO I could burn that an app bundle. I prefer to rebuild by box whenever there is a major OS X release, and that means installing the new OS clean, not having to install a previous version first.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I want a new iMac, but don't want to buy now then have to pop for Lion a few months later. Anyone know if the new Snow Leopard iMacs come with a "coupon" to upgrade to Lion when it's out? I seem to recall there was a certain number of days/weeks/months that Apple allowed for this in the past.

Usually the free upgrade (excluding shipping and handling, which may be forgone if it is downloaded digitally) is for any Mac bought from about one month before it is officially announced.

That means no Macs now will have such a coupon. Maybe any Macs bought from WWDC dates onward will qualify. It's not a coupon as such in the past, it's a form you give Apple with your proof-of-purchase... Or could be online.

Basically Apple gives OS and iLife upgrades a 90 day overlap on either side of the official release date, so that those who bought it before it came out, and those who got Macs shipped after it came out but not installed can upgrade at minimal cost.
  • Reply 113 of 131
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would love to be able to purchase and download OS X, but I would prefer it was an ISO I could burn that an app bundle. I prefer to rebuild by box whenever there is a major OS X release, and that means installing the new OS clean, not having to install a previous version first.

Yeah, I'm not liking the awkwardness of InstallLion.app ...maybe we're just old skool.
  • Reply 114 of 131
    cyrilcyril Posts: 1member
    I disagree with your prediction. Apple will not release MAC OSX Lion through Mac App Store.

It could be very complicated to install a fresh system in case you had a crash with your mac or whatever.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Legal BitTorrent for the MacStore would be sweet.

But pointless, given that Apple is going to be able to push out whatever speed YOU as a USER have, which is the deciding factor in downloads.
  • Reply 116 of 131
    jonnykjonnyk Posts: 2member
    Brilliant move by Apple. Hammer yet another nail into the coffin of small retailers and create another pile of dung for themselves.
  • Reply 117 of 131
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyk View Post

Brilliant move by Apple. Hammer yet another nail into the coffin of small retailers and create another pile of dung for themselves.

I love your positive outlook! Have you considered a career as a motivational speaker?
  • Reply 118 of 131
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    As long as I have a way to get from Leopard to Lion.
  • Reply 119 of 131
    sammcksammck Posts: 2member
    Great ! What a forward thinking company Apple is... no more media drives to take up space so we get slimmer products.... hmmm, but I live in Hong Kong, no music on the iTunes store to buy, just apps.... how do I get music into my iTunes ? used to buy CD's and import using the Superdrive on my iMac - but that won't be an option on Mac's in the future. What to do ? Move back to a PC so I can use their DVD drives to import into iTunes ? Think about what people need.... especially if you limit what they can do and offer them no alternative....
  • Reply 120 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyk View Post

Welcome to AppleInsider. Don't post like this again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammck View Post

especially if you limit what they can do and offer them no alternative....

Apple isn't limiting anything.

If Apple had their way, every song, movie, TV show, book, and application would be available in one global iTunes Store. Studios, international licensing, and sheer idiocy prevent this glorious reality from being one.