Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

can not wait for the day of superdrive-less machines... over the past 3 years, i used the superdrive on my mbp once. literally only once.

I dread the days when Apple computers will be superddrive-less machines as i use mine on a day to day basis to burn cds and dvds for my clients, importing my music cds into itunes (yes i am one of those left actually buying music cds), watching dvd movies .

I am relieve as well at the thought that my snowleopard installation disc is handful in case of issue.

I do not want apple to become like pc machine , i.e. when you have an issue, you have to phone the support to obtain a recovery disc to reinstall the system.
  • Reply 122 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fashionbug View Post

I do not want apple to become like pc machine , i.e. when you have an issue, you have to phone the support to obtain a recovery disc to reinstall the system.

Nowhere is anyone saying that Macs won't come with a physical version of the OS. You'll always have the backup that came with your computer.

Isn't it illegal to sell a computer without a physical copy of the software on it? I know that Best Buy does it, but that doesn't mean it isn't illegal.
  • Reply 123 of 131
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fashionbug View Post

I dread the days when Apple computers will be superddrive-less machines as i use mine on a day to day basis to burn cds and dvds for my clients, importing my music cds into itunes (yes i am one of those left actually buying music cds), watching dvd movies .

I am relieve as well at the thought that my snowleopard installation disc is handful in case of issue.

I feel you, though I almost never use mu SuperDrive. But can't you get a good, inexpensive external drive?

It seems to me that if Apple is learning from research that very few people are actually using these drives, then they are basically saying, "For those few of you who are still using these drives, you can get an external. For everyone else, having a thinner MBP and/or a larger battery seems to be a higher priority."
  • Reply 124 of 131
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    Where did that come from? Do you have a source?

aside from 10.1 (free) and 10.6, all versions have been $129.00.

That doesn't mean that 10.7 will also be $129.00, but you are going to have to provide some source before I will believe something else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I'm going for $69. I think they'll want to keep it below $100 anyway.

• Reply 125 of 131
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Why? If your company gives you a Mac, don't you think they'd install the update for you? And if they choose not to update, you probably shouldn't be doing it yourself.

You're making unfounded presumptions. I am the system administrator and the only mac technician in the entire company (5 divisions). I am not, however, the CIO or the head of IT. Those are the people who make the decisions which ports to open or close. Apple doesn't make the cut.

I install software just fine using Software Update. Using the App Store is not an option.
  • Reply 126 of 131
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But those with Apple's earliest Intel-based machines will not be able to run Lion, as it has a minimum requirement of a Core 2 Duo processor.

It may not be officially supported, but Lion does run on Core Duos & Solos!
  • Reply 127 of 131
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I believe Lion creates a rescue partition on your hard drive from which you can boot to repair the main partition and/or redownload the OS if necessary.

and how does that help if your HD crashes?

Creates a repair partition? So now you will have to allow Apple to repartition your HDD? What if you don't want to waste disk space?

A download still requires a lot of time to download multi-gig installs.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member
    If it doesn't come on DVD, I'm not interested.

I've learned not to depend on Apple. They leave bugs unfixed and customers in the lurch as a matter of course. The app store's artificial dependence and limit to Snow Leopard is just one more example of pushing customers into things they otherwise wouldn't need to do.

I prefer to support the 3rd party developers directly, thus increasing their income stream (which most of them really need) and at the same time depriving Apple of 30% of unearned income, not just unearned but *undeserved*.

I doubt I'll upgrade to Lion anyway. I don't want my desktop to be like my iPad. I want my *iPad* to be like my iPad, and my desktop to be like a desktop. I don't need "full screen applications", good grief, what is a windowing system for, anyway? Using WINDOWS! Someone at apple has lost their mind.

The good news is that Leopard and Snow Leopard are out there on DVD and no one actually has to move to Lion if they are so lacking in clue as to make it app store only. And perhaps Lion will be available on DVD as well, and will even allow the poor users to use.... WINDOWS, thus extending OSX's useful life another generation.

One can hope. Of course, this is the company that turned the orientation switch into an audio mute; that champions multiple monitors -- but leaves the menu for every program lost on one monitor; that even given years, can't manage to fix the dreaded "mach port 9" error in launchd; that ships the buggiest treeview control out there; that made the iPad without cameras; that insists upon USB syncing; that made the iPad case such that it can't accommodate the iPad's native connectors; that has been unable to fix the app store's losing track of where you were browsing in a category; that basically totally screwed up the transition from Leopard to Snow Leopard by breaking a HUGE number of drivers and programs and even little behaviors like how tabs work (or don't, now)... yeah, I guess there's not a lot of hope. Here comes Lion. Bend over. :^)
  • Reply 129 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

...artificial dependence and limit to Snow Leopard...

Making it easy for developers to only make ONE VERSION of their application instead of wasting time with PowerPC versions for Tiger that will be rendered worthless when Lion comes out.

Quote:

is just one more example of pushing customers into things they otherwise wouldn't need to do.

I didn't NEED to upgrade from my LC 575, either.

Quote:

I prefer to support the 3rd party developers directly, thus increasing their income stream (which most of them really need) and at the same time depriving Apple of 30% of unearned income, not just unearned but *undeserved*.

Own website: 100% of the profit, you're on your own for people actually finding your software, untrusted

App Store: 70% of the profit, found easily, known to be trustable software

I think most everyone'll take the latter.

Quote:

I doubt I'll upgrade to Lion anyway.

Enjoy your PowerMac G5.

Quote:

I don't want my desktop to be like my iPad.

So don't use those features.

Quote:

my desktop to be like a desktop.

Why do you think you get to define what "desktop" means?

Quote:

I don't need "full screen applications"

So don't use full-screen.

Quote:

Someone at apple has lost their mind.

And someone out here thinks their vaunted 'windowing system' is being completely removed in Lion.

Quote:

no one actually has to move to Lion

Until all the machines that run Snow Leopard are broken or worthlessly obsolete.

Quote:

And perhaps Lion will be available on DVD as well, and will even allow the poor users to use.... WINDOWS

Again, get a clue. Full-screen is a feature, not a change. I use Lion and I've not once touched the full-screen button because I have no use for it nor do I use any applications right now that benefit from it.

Quote:

Of course, this is the company that turned the orientation switch into an audio mute;

Get over yourself. They changed it back. Oh, and look! You actually have a CHOICE now. Tears a hole right in your Apple argument.

Quote:

that made the iPad without cameras

Quote:

that insists upon USB syncing

If you have a faster alternative, I'd love to hear it. Given that you have to plug everything in to charge, anyway. you may as well use a wired connection for syncing... particularly when it's far faster than wireless solutions.

Quote:

that made the iPad case such that it can't accommodate the iPad's native connectors

^^^Never used an iPad case... or even seen one, apparently.^^^

Quote:

Here comes Lion. Bend over.

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.
  • Reply 130 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would like to see Apple lobby some of the larger commercial software vendors to put their stuff on the MAS. Or even some of the premier shareware apps. I find the Store very convenient and wish I could buy Word and EyeTV and such on there.
  • Reply 131 of 131
    I have broadband, I like downloading stuff, but when it comes to the operating system I would MUCH rather have a physical disk. If my computer dies then I would have to install Snow Leopard, update it to get the app store, restore all my files, download the update again and THEN get back to using Lion.

However, I'll be more than happy to download if you have the option to burn the resulting file to a bootable DVD.