Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by okboy View Post

Anyone want to guess what it will cost?

I know Snow Leopard was like $30, but that wasn't a feature-rich update.

I'm going for $69. I think they'll want to keep it below $100 anyway.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Apple hasn't announced the details obviously, but doesn't it seem likely that a version downloaded from the app store would include the ability to create a bootable backup? Most likely on USB stick or any other hard drive. 10.7 already includes the functionality to create a restore partition, it wouldn't be hard to also create that same partition on an external disk, thumb drive or otherwise.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So if you have an older machine out of warranty and the hard drive takes a dump and has to be physically replaced, how are you going to get the OS back on there if you like to start from scratch and not use a backup? Some people only have that one Mac and the app store isn't available on Windows. This is why I prefer a hard copy option.

Of course we don't really know what Apple is going to do 100% anyways.....

Yep, I hear you. I guess you gotta get in your 747 and fly down to the local apple store and buy the physical CD!

Best
  • Reply 44 of 131
    rei_vilorei_vilo Posts: 31member
    Hi!

Last time, I bought a Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard + iLife 09 + iWork 09 and get a neat install.

Shall we expect the same Mac Box Set with Lion + iLife 12 + iWork 12?

I hope so!
  • Reply 45 of 131
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Hi!

Last time, I bought a Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard + iLife 09 + iWork 09 and get a neat install.

Shall we expect the same Mac Box Set with Lion + iLife 12 + iWork 12?

I hope so!

Good point. I hope so. That is the way I've upgraded bc it's the best deal!

Best
  • Reply 46 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I wasn't talking about backing up the installer. That may or may not be available. I meant booting from the current backup of your machine.

that's my point, if you completely replace or format the hard drive, it's impossible that you'd have a current backup on your machine.

if you completely replace or format the hard drive, you can't have access to your OS and the app store because you need access to your OS and the app store to get it.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    Quote:

I wasn't talking about backing up the installer. That may or may not be available. I meant booting from the current backup of your machine.

Can you boot from a time machine backup?
  • Reply 48 of 131
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Awesome, my superdrive died on the macbook, and this will let me upgrade without having to replace the drive (out of warranty).
  • Reply 49 of 131
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Like others have said, I'm fine with the digital download method, just would like the option to purchase the physical media. I always like having that handy in case it's needed.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Having already used it with both Lion preview and xcode I don't think it is quite ready for prime time. This whole concept probably comes as a response to Hackintoshing and unauthorized VM hosting

Now that OS doesn't even fit on a regular DVD I guess optical drives are going bye-bye although Super Drive does burn DL DVDs. No more Family Pack for you!
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Having already used it with both Lion preview and xcode I don't think it is quite ready for prime time. This whole concept probably comes as a response to Hackintoshing and unauthorized VM hosting

Now that OS doesn't even fit on a regular DVD I guess optical drives are going bye-bye although Super Drive does burn DL DVDs. No more Family Pack for you!

The hackintosh thing is interesting although if they also release it on DVD I don't see how that would really stop anything. And assuming they stick with the terms of the App Store, every purchased copy may be a family pack.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

and how long will this take to download?????

As long as it takes based on your home Internet connection. How are we supposed to answer this for you? A 4GB file takes me a little under an hour on a 10 megabit connection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I'd like to see them offer it on SD cards or the USB key that comes with the MacBook Airs.

THUNDERBOLT flash drive. 8GB capacity, USB port on the other side for older Macs.

Thunderbolt Mac install process: Copying Lion Files... (shows up for 1.25 seconds) Installing Lion Files... (shows for 20 minutes)

USB Mac install process: Copying Lion Files... (shows up for an hour) Installing Lion Files... (shows for 20 minutes)
  • Reply 53 of 131
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:

I've never understood why people confuse those two, when there are so many phonetically similar words. It's pretty clear what the two 'o's sound like:

moose

goose

caboose

Loose rhymes with goose, but lose rhymes with choose! The problem is that English is not phonetic and it seems to me that lose is spelt incorrectly more often than not in forums. Whaddya gonna do?

Anyway, is there any indication yet that Rosetta will work in Lion? I am very reluctant to dump a number of small, occasional use PPC apps and will not upgrade until I buy a new machine if that is the case.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Works great until the OS is hosed and you can't download the OS to your machine from the internet.

download it while the machine is working, and put it on a thumb drive. crisis averted.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

download it while the machine is working, and but it on a thumb drive. crisis averted.

IF you can, which is unlikely.

what makes you think that you can copy it to a USB drive or disc? I have disc for Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard. None of those disc can be copied, some of them can only be used on their original machine (or the exact model). the past 3 OSes can't be copied, and so far there's nothing to suggest we can just make backup copies of Lion.
  • Reply 56 of 131
    It was kind of obvious, wasn't it? They're releasing the unfinished developer betas through the Store, and phasing out boxed software. Anyway, it'll be awesome to get the new OS with just a few clicks and have it install automatically!
  • Reply 57 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Anyway, is there any indication yet that Rosetta will work in Lion?

None.

Quote:

I am very reluctant to dump a number of small, occasional use PPC apps and will not upgrade until I buy a new machine if that is the case.

What do you believe will run on PowerPC that doesn't have a newer version on Intel?

And why can't you just do what I do about that?

Sorry about the temporary hugeness if you saw that. Why don't we support the TIMG tag?
  • Reply 58 of 131
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

I believe Lion creates a rescue partition on your hard drive from which you can boot to repair the main partition and/or redownload the OS if necessary.

This would work, until the drive suffers physical damage.

A separate rescue/install drive is still needed.
  • Reply 59 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by okboy View Post

Anyone want to guess what it will cost?

I know Snow Leopard was like $30, but that wasn't a feature-rich update.

I have a strong feeling it'll be either $49 or $79. Though, they may keep Lion (and all their future upgrades) at $29, which would be really nice.
  • Reply 60 of 131
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewisdorigo View Post

OS X Lion makes a partition on the Hard Disk, and you install via that rather than an installer on the main partition, allowing you to format your disk if you want to (the install partition is hidden, so you don’t need to worry about accidentally format that).

The install also creates a Restore partition, which you can use to reinstall Lion if there are ever any problems. ...

The main thing that worries me about the new setup is that not every install disk is equal when it comes to OS-X.

I had a situation just today where a whole set of brand new iMacs refused to load the OS CD using the "c" key trick, or by using the install program on the disc. We thought the first machine had a bad CD or a bad drive at first so we tried another machine and had the same problem. Simply refuses to install.

Tried multiple retail Snow Leopard discs on multiple computers manufactured at diff times during Snow Leopards run and all of them failed completely (but in slightly different ways), and hung the computer.

When we tried the grey disc that comes in the box with that particular computer it worked fine, first time. The OS-X install discs don't seem to be all the same, and they don't always work for all machines.

The Grey CD's will not be shipped if they drop the optical drive, but hopefully they do that USB stick thing still because if you don't have the original disc that came with that particular machine you might be completely up the creek some day.