Error 3200: Massive iOS 5 demand hinders Apple?s servers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 123
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    As long as apple insist on upgrading their entire lineup on the same day

We will have these errors with every major release of a new iOS

Just wait till Friday, when you add all the new iPhone 4s start activating on top of this increased load
  • Reply 22 of 123
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

For the load during normal days !

No one on earth today can build a system for that kind of use in extraordinary launch day.

Neither apple, neither IBM and no telecom can dimension their network for that.

So, just wait. Technology is wonderful but not magical. Internet and modern computers have some serious limits.

You are right. However, they should have foreseen this and planned the rollout better. What about a ticket system, like at the deli. You login with your apple id or initiate a sign up and then you get a number or a date and time. You will be allowed to download at your scheduled time. That way there is not this massive overload.
  • Reply 23 of 123
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

People having problems with Software Updates should just go download the files on support.apple.com/downloads

People don't want to wipe their device with restore. iOS5 image links aren't posted there anyway.

Apple's learning curve is flatter than most corporations. Gets better with each release. I applaud them for not letting this all land on 10/14/2011 at 1200 hours PDT.

edit: future updates are faster with incremental. Worked pretty well in dev beta and cut the update size down by tons. Also got iTunes out as the middle.
  • Reply 24 of 123
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Yea I was having this issue plus super slow download speeds. I think the demand was massive since I doubt apple would understaff it's servers so to speak after mobile me fiasco. I think they should have rolled this out at midnight or early in the morning to allow people to start the download as they left for work instead of getting everyone on at the same time.

Thankfully I did not have any bricking issues with the phone, and iPad was actually the smoothest update in term of being error free (is iPad 1 so maybe there was less demands on it).
  • Reply 25 of 123
    Why rush, give it a couple days. Apples servers are way overloaded with all the new Mac, ITUNES and Safari updated.
  • Reply 26 of 123
    I wonder if the folks who claim their devices were "bricked" tried putting the iPhone in DFU mode or Recovery mode?! My guess is one of those two would have brought them back to life to restore in iTunes...
  • Reply 27 of 123
    Seems to be moving right along now, but as soon as I try to run Mac OS software update concurrently with the IOS download, everything screeches to a halt. If I stop the MacOS downloads, IOS takes off again.
  • Reply 28 of 123
    My iP4 has been "bricked" now for about 5 hours, my MacBook will not recognize it so I can't really do anything to it, it is just shuffling from the pinwheel to the apple logo on the screen. Any ideas?
  • Reply 29 of 123
    IPad 2. Tried to install 5 immediately after it went up. Long download, followed by "unknown error." On my second call to Apple, was told "Servers are currently doing five million downloads per hour. My best advice is to wait a few hours." In the meantime, however, I'd gotten to the "Restore" point in the process which did brick the iPad. But I was able to do the download and restore a few hours later, thereby unbricking the iPad, on which I'm currently typing this message.

First impressions: Some immediately useful improvements, in Safari, for example. And both theiPad itself and downloads to it, seem very much faster.

So... Worth the hassle for me.
  • Reply 30 of 123
    I got a bricked iPhone to. Then my iPhone had to be restored. Ug!!

After three to four attempts I finally got updated.
  • Reply 31 of 123
    Relax folks.

I downloaded iOS 5 within ten minutes of it being up and it's now 7:20pm PST and it's just now finishing after receiving the 3200 error half a dozen or so times.

I did work for about 6 hours before the latest attempt and it's now installed and restoring all local content to the iPad.

Besides 5 simple sync issues regarding iCal and Address Book all is well.

The petabytes of data delivered today should be published by Apple, just so people can grasp how much data was served and continues to be served during this roll out.
  • Reply 32 of 123
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I had my iPhone 4 bricked. I unplugged the sync cable and then plugged my iPhone back in and iTunes detected my phone in its state. I then ran the restore process and had to do this 5 times until Apple server was available and my iPhone 4 was successfully updated. I had an error 3200 on my iPad as well and it took about 6 tries to get it updated as well. Wow. What a process.

Ditto, but only one restore for my iphone. Both my ipad and iphone got the error (relieved to have read about it here). In all, I spent about an hour and a half getting ios5, imac software update, and itunes update....still working on the ipad (it's been stuck at "fifteen minutes remaining" for ten minutes). Strangely, I think I'll feel nostalgic for these times of (slightly) delayed gratification if in the future we don't have such excitement over Apple products.
  • Reply 33 of 123
    This happens EVERY time apple puts out a new iOS version. My wifes phone has crashed EVER time.

16xx error everytime and every time genius bar geek says, I have never seen this before but knows me by name,

• Reply 34 of 123
    Should have been Lion then iTunes then iOS 5, as it was backwards fails occurred until the final piece, Lion, was dropped and installed

I suggest they also release S/W according to time zones and not open the whole world at once.
  • Reply 35 of 123
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    You guys are weird.

You could do what I did when I looked at updating our iPad to 5 today.

I didn't.

Read about all these overload problems and decided to give it a day before having a go. It really isn't life or death to upgrade today.
  • Reply 36 of 123
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I wonder if the folks who claim their devices were "bricked" tried putting the iPhone in DFU mode or Recovery mode?! My guess is one of those two would have brought them back to life to restore in iTunes...

No need really. Turn the phone off and back on. Click restore if asked. Then the process continues.
  • Reply 37 of 123
    This could be a bad harbinger for iCloud.

At the same time, was the situation exacerbated by early birds upgrading and then immediately syncing all sorts of files onto iCloud?
  • Reply 38 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

You guys are weird.

You could do what I did when I looked at updating our iPad to 5 today.

I didn't.

Read about all these overload problems and decided to give it a day before having a go. It really isn't life or death to upgrade today.

You're so smart. My hero.
  • Reply 39 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmshawaii View Post

This happens EVERY time apple puts out a new iOS version. My wifes phone has crashed EVER time.

16xx error everytime and every time genius bar geek says, I have never seen this before but knows me by name,

There is no way it was this bad in previous cases.
  • Reply 40 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

My iP4 has been "bricked" now for about 5 hours, my MacBook will not recognize it so I can't really do anything to it, it is just shuffling from the pinwheel to the apple logo on the screen. Any ideas?

See what Macchery wrote.