Error 3200: Massive iOS 5 demand hinders Apple?s servers

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 123
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Simply go see a Genius at your local Apple Store. Bring both your phone and your computer. Convenient Appointments are available.



    Real simple- right?
  • Reply 82 of 123
    Not good. I can access calendar and contacts, but not mail. I could for a while, but no longer.



    This is seriously uncool.



    Tom
  • Reply 83 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post


    Not good. I can access calendar and contacts, but not mail. I could for a while, but no longer.



    This is seriously uncool.



    Tom



    I'm seeing that problem this morning too. Mail for my me.com address will not load on iCloud or on my iPhone. Strangely I can still get it via MobileMe IMAP on my mac through the old mail.me.com server.
  • Reply 84 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    I'm seeing that problem this morning too. Mail for my me.com address will not load on iCloud or on my iPhone. Strangely I can still get it via MobileMe IMAP on my mac through the old mail.me.com server.



    There's more: when I attempt to access mail via Apple Mail, my password is rejected. At the moment, contact via mail to and from the world is hit or miss. I'm a home-based business. I should know better than be "Mr. Early Adopter."





    Tom
  • Reply 85 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post


    There's more: when I attempt to access mail via Apple Mail, my password is rejected. At the moment, contact via mail to and from the world is hit or miss. I'm a home-based business. I should know better than be "Mr. Early Adopter."





    Tom



    Which server is your Mail program pointing at? I'm running Snow Leopard, so mine is still on mail.me.com. That works fine at present.
  • Reply 86 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    Which server is your Mail program pointing at? I'm running Snow Leopard, so mine is still on mail.me.com. That works fine at present.



    I'm running Lion, 10.7.2. Just discovering my password has been rejected on my iPhone as well.



    Incoming mail server: p99-imap.mail.me.com

    Outgoing server: iCloud



    Tom
  • Reply 87 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post


    I'm running Lion, 10.7.2. Just discovering my password has been rejected on my iPhone as well.



    Incoming mail server: p99-imap.mail.me.com

    Outgoing server: iCloud



    Tom



    Well you could try IMAP on mail.me.com (i.e. lose the p99-imap) - as I said - that still works for me even though I transitioned to iCloud.



    EDIT: Now the iCloud mail interface isn't even giving server error messages - just giving the spinning pin wheel.
  • Reply 88 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    Well you could try IMAP on mail.me.com (i.e. lose the p99-imap) - as I said - that still works for me even though I transitioned to iCloud.



    EDIT: Now the iCloud mail interface isn't even giving server error messages - just giving the spinning pin wheel.



    I'll give the IMAP on mail.me.com a try. Beat having to acclimate clients to another e-mail address, e.g gmail.



    Thanks for your help.



    Tom
  • Reply 89 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Simply go see a Genius at your local Apple Store. Bring both your phone and your computer. Convenient Appointments are available.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post


    Real simple- right?



    Real simple? Don't know about that. Can the Apple geniuses get through the server logjam? Nope.



    If everyone took this loopy advice, imagine the hordes at the Apple stores.
  • Reply 90 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post


    I'll give the IMAP on mail.me.com a try. Beat having to acclimate clients to another e-mail address, e.g gmail.



    Thanks for your help.



    Tom



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    Well you could try IMAP on mail.me.com (i.e. lose the p99-imap) - as I said - that still works for me even though I transitioned to iCloud.



    EDIT: Now the iCloud mail interface isn't even giving server error messages - just giving the spinning pin wheel.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post


    Not good. I can access calendar and contacts, but not mail. I could for a while, but no longer.



    This is seriously uncool.



    Tom





    iCloud is creaking. Hopefully, it is the stress from initial signup. Still, Apple clearly underestimated the demand. Here's hoping Amazon and Microsoft are able to support Apple in this. But do they have reasons to be less than 100% supportive?
  • Reply 91 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    iCloud is creaking. Hopefully, it is the stress from initial signup. Still, Apple clearly underestimated the demand. Here's hoping Amazon and Microsoft are able to support Apple in this. But do they have reasons to be less than 100% supportive?



    I guess I'm a bit surprised that it is creaking already - but that does seem to be what is happening. The services are working intermittently and slowly. But I rather doubt that even a large minority have switched yet, so that does not bode so well, unless all the OS and iOS upgrades in process are stressing the same servers as the regular services.
  • Reply 92 of 123
    Although not bricked, I lost almost all the apps on my 3GS after the upgrade - should have waited another day until my 4S arrives. I am waiting to upgrade the iPad and wife's 4 until it settles down a little bit.



    Also noticed that notifications don't work very well on the 3GS. Calendar entries keep disappearing and coming back randomly.
  • Reply 93 of 123
    Still can't move to iCloud, which doesn't bother me that much in the short term



    The upgrade to iOS 5 was not as straight forward. Understandable as every man, women and child were trying to download at the same time. Two big, slow upgrades for Lion, then a manual restore on the iPad, because of the errors, fixed this.



    Still, got there in the end. I like where Apple are going with this.



    Upgraded ATV this morning and tried Real Racing HD2 mirrored over AirPlay. Laggy and useless!



    Mirroring outside of the game was pretty slick so i foresee an update on the game or an upgrade on my internet connection. I would have thought 10mb would be enough. We'll see.



    Love iMessage. Love reminders and notifications and tabbed browsing in Safari is kewl.



    First impressions are very good.
  • Reply 94 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    I guess I'm a bit surprised that it is creaking already - but that does seem to be what is happening. The services are working intermittently and slowly. But I rather doubt that even a large minority have switched yet, so that does not bode so well, unless all the OS and iOS upgrades in process are stressing the same servers as the regular services.



    It makes you wonder if there is perhaps no truly effective way of simulating this scale of demand on their servers.



    On the other hand, I am 100% there is. I believe they simply were not adequately prepared. If this is not a temporary hiccup, I wonder if they can offload most of the load to Amazon, Microsoft, IBM or any other cloud service provider until they get their data center truly in order.



    Perhaps we are now seeing the reason for the *delay* of iPhone 4S release. Just imagine the next two weeks, when millions of iPhone 4S will join the iCloud fray. The rumblings you hear are Apple engineers running back and forth in North Carolina.
  • Reply 95 of 123
    I always wait at least a day. Five minute download, phone restored in 30 minutes (not much on in).



    This concludes prepping the 3GS for sale, if I can actually let it go. Sturdiest phone I've ever used.
  • Reply 96 of 123
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post


    I thought with iTunes Apple is Used to serving a lot of data! What was that new data center for 1 billion $ for???



    Do you have any idea how much data and how many requests we're talking about? Think in the millions. Show me any server in the world that can handle that.
  • Reply 97 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilo View Post


    Although not bricked, I lost almost all the apps on my 3GS after the upgrade - should have waited another day until my 4S arrives. I am waiting to upgrade the iPad and wife's 4 until it settles down a little bit.



    Also noticed that notifications don't work very well on the 3GS. Calendar entries keep disappearing and coming back randomly.



    Are you sure that you lost them? When my phone came back up after the upgrade - fully functional and no indication that a sync was still in progress - most of the apps were missing, but over the next 45 minutes, iTunes restored them all in the background. Same with all the other content. If I had unplugged the phone I suspect I would probably have assumed that I had the same problem.
  • Reply 98 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    It makes you wonder if there is perhaps no truly effective way of simulating this scale of demand on their servers.



    On the other hand, I am 100% there is. I believe they simply were not adequately prepared. If this is not a temporary hiccup, I wonder if they can offload most of the load to Amazon, Microsoft, IBM or any other cloud service provider until they get their data center truly in order.



    Perhaps we are now seeing the reason for the *delay* of iPhone 4S release. Just imagine the next two weeks, when millions of iPhone 4S will join the iCloud fray. The rumblings you hear are Apple engineers running back and forth in North Carolina.



    I would think that it would be easy to simulate demand directly on the server, but hard to simulate on the connectivity to the backbone networks. If the latter were the problem then it may have been hard to predict.
  • Reply 99 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    That is what they get for making it so easy to update the OS. Android never has this problem because many of the phones can not even be updated. Maybe Apple should not have announced the availability and just let people discover it on their own.
  • Reply 100 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Android never has this problem because many of the phones can not even be updated.



    That's highly inaccurate. Is there really a need to lie about Android to make iOS look good? I seriously do not believe that's necessary.



    What we see with iOS is the benefit of an integrated solution and the lack of carrier control. Apple develops, controls and releases their OS updates. It's all coordinated.



    As for Android phones that cannot be upgraded, that's because the users don't know how as a result of too many cooks in the Android kitchen. But it's not true that many phones cannot be upgraded. Please don't lie.
Sign In or Register to comment.