Error 3200: Massive iOS 5 demand hinders Apple?s servers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I would think that it would be easy to simulate demand directly on the server, but hard to simulate on the connectivity to the backbone networks. If the latter were the problem then it may have been hard to predict.

I think it's quite easy to simulate the demand. Just ask hackers who stage DoS attacks on websites Not identical situations, but you get the gist.

This is why I had a change of mind in the middle of my post.
  • Reply 102 of 123
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Simply go see a Genius at your local Apple Store. Bring both your phone and your computer. Convenient Appointments are available.

LOL not. Try to get an appointment in NYC for anytime soon.

And judging by what I'm seeing having passed by two Apple Stores this morning, that's a strategy for someone who doesn't need to use their phone for a few weeks.

Maybe if Apple quickly quintuples the workforce in response to this, but otherwise not.
  • Reply 103 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I think it's quite easy to simulate the demand. Just ask hackers who stage DoS attacks on websites Not identical situations, but you get the gist.

This is why I had a change of mind in the middle of my post.

Not sure I see what you mean. Hackers don't simulate it do they? They just hit the servers as hard as they can.
  • Reply 104 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Simply go see a Genius at your local Apple Store. Bring both your phone and your computer. Convenient Appointments are available.

Yeah I would call that CONVENIENT, as I am sure there will be NO line at all and you appointment will be right on time.

Half or more of the Apple stores are filed with people needing help. Brilliant idea to stage it that way, makes the stores look like they are crowded with shoppers.
  • Reply 105 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

As for Android phones that cannot be upgraded, that's because the users don't know how as a result of too many cooks in the Android kitchen. But it's not true that many phones cannot be upgraded. Please don't lie.

Sorry, apparently I am misinformed. I thought I read that the carriers were responsible for releasing updates for the Android phones that they sell and in many cases they never released any upgrades, which is why so many Android users simply buy a new phone in order to get the newest OS.
  • Reply 106 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Do you have any idea how much data and how many requests we're talking about? Think in the millions. Show me any server in the world that can handle that.

Here are some comparisons:

Facebook users upload 300M photos per day. Assume an average file size of 100kB. Of course, they do other things as well.

Netflix has 7M customers who on average stream 5 TV shows and 4 movies per week. In other words, they stream the equivalent of an iOS upgrade (including iTunes upgrade) each day.

Depending on how many *millions* of Apple customers were upgrading yesterday, it is possible the traffic load was close to the same scale as what FB, Netflix and others face daily.

But let's say it's much more. There are companies that can handle it.

For example - AWS: They store 500B+ "objects" and handle close to 400k requests per second. What does this mean? Object size varies, of course. But clearly they handle bigger traffic loads daily than what Apple had to handle yesterday. So yes, someone in the world could have dealt with this.

Having said that, Apple is an Amazon customer. So it's a question of how much they depended on AWS, Microsoft and their own data center.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry, apparently I am misinformed. I thought I read that the carriers were responsible for releasing updates for the Android phones that they sell and in many cases they never released any upgrades, which is why so many Android users simply buy a new phone in order to get the newest OS.

I was a bit harsh. Sorry.

Yes, carriers do control the OS releases in many cases, which is implied in my post. But you can get around that.

But how do you know that "so many" Android users buy a phone to upgrade their OS? That is not true. Most users don't really care about the OS, frankly.
  • Reply 108 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I was a bit harsh. Sorry.

Yes, carriers do control the OS releases, which is implied in my post. But you can get around that.

But how do you know that "so many" Android users buy a phone to upgrade their OS? That is not true. Most users don't really care about the OS, frankly.

Many, is a relative term. All the Android users I know have purchased new phones before their contracts expired. When I asked them they usually say something like my old one broke or it was too slow or it stopped working. Several, another relative term, switched to iPhone. 'Many' times I speculate, or extrapolate based on a limited survey sample of my own experience.

You do seem a bit sensitive to the subject though.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Getting a new OS that improves the experience, extends it's longevity which also adds to its resale value. These of these affect the total cost of ownership. It sounds like you are saying consumers of Android-based devices don't consider this very important aspects of being a savvy consumer.

I wonder if most Android-based devices are eligible for updates since it seems there a lot more no-name vendors using Android than there are of the named vendors updating their flagship devices on a somewhat regular basis, which is what people usually reference.
  • Reply 110 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilo View Post

Although not bricked, I lost almost all the apps on my 3GS after the upgrade - should have waited another day until my 4S arrives.

But you got them all back when you restored from backup, right?
  • Reply 111 of 123
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Yeah I would call that CONVENIENT, as I am sure there will be NO line at all and you appointment will be right on time.

Half or more of the Apple stores are filed with people needing help. Brilliant idea to stage it that way, makes the stores look like they are crowded with shoppers.

Welcome back. I guess you have recovered from your "no one will want an iPhone 4S" prediction embarrassment. These upgrade problems are, indeed, a most cunning strategy to make Apple stores look popular.
  • Reply 112 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

My iP4 has been "bricked" now for about 5 hours, my MacBook will not recognize it so I can't really do anything to it, it is just shuffling from the pinwheel to the apple logo on the screen. Any ideas?

If you live conveniently near an Apple Store, I would make a Genius Bar appointment and have someone look into it.
  • Reply 113 of 123
    Quote:

If everyone took this loopy advice, imagine the hordes at the Apple stores.

You've obviously never been to the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. You have to make a reservation in a time slot to see a Genius. This guarantees you a time slot in which you have the Genius' full attenton, and it also manages traffic and minimizes wait times for patrons. There wouldn't be "hordes" unless everyone ignored their appointment times and showed up at once. Fandroid flights of fancy...
  • Reply 114 of 123
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Well apparently the term "bricked" has been hijacked and the meaning watered down. It used to mean that a device was completely useless and could not be repaired, it might as well be a brick.

But overly dramatic kids on the internet kept using it to refer to corrupted installations that require a reinstall. So now bricked simply means a corrupted installation. Unfortunately this leaves us with no word for "bricked" as in "bricked".

Let's have a moment of silence for the death of a useful term. Our language is now less precise. Now we have to add an adverb to the front of bricked for it to be useful in communication.

</language nazi>
  • Reply 115 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Well apparently the term "bricked" has been hijacked and the meaning watered down. It used to mean that a device was completely useless and could not be repaired, it might as well be a brick.

But overly dramatic kids on the internet kept using it to refer to corrupted installations that require a reinstall. So now bricked simply means a corrupted installation. Unfortunately this leaves us with no word for "bricked" as in "bricked".

Let's have a moment of silence for the death of a useful term. Our language is now less precise. Now we have to add an adverb to the front of bricked for it to be useful in communication.

</language nazi>

Bricked like a bricky brickyard!
  • Reply 116 of 123
    Quote:

That's highly inaccurate. Is there really a need to lie about Android to make iOS look good?

Not a lie at all. There are many Android phones that can't be upgraded, just look at the phones that are available for sale and see what versions they are on. I was just looking at some options, and other than the newest and most expensive, the ones I saw were shipping new right now with 2.2. One had 2.3 support announced almost a year ago but it still hasn't become available.

Sure it might be possible in some cases for a user with technical savvy to hack an unsupported phone to the newest version, but for the general public that's not a real option.

So chill out with the "don't lie" nonsense, the facts just don't back you up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Totally agree, this was really annoying me. Anyone who says "It bricked my phone!!!!...and then I had to restore it from the backup" doesn't have a clue what the term means.
  • Reply 117 of 123
    Thursday afternoon, servers over capacity. Apple's iCloud launch is going just as well as its MobileMe launch. Ok, minus the mass-data-loss but there's still time. This company is so out of its depth it's embarrassing.
  • Reply 118 of 123
    After wasting my time getting hte 3200 error, i waited for americans to slepe.

Downloaded ok, updated ipad ok. Iphone has been a pig, absolute pig. never ending restoration errots, and other niggly things. its still not right, as everyime i resync, it tells me it has failed to restore, would I like to repeat again.

Just works.

Excellent.
  • Reply 119 of 123
    Quote:

And you know for a fact that it wasn't Microsoft and Amazon servers that were buckling under demand?

Common sense should tell you it wasn't Microsoft/Amazon servers. In any case the answer is yes, I do.
  • Reply 120 of 123
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Common sense should tell you it wasn't Microsoft/Amazon servers. In any case the answer is yes, I do.