IDC predicts PC users won't upgrade to Windows 8, tablet sales will be "disappointing"

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    You don't have Aero running.



    Click on Start and in the Start Search type Check the Windows Experience Index. You should see something that looks like this.



    Click on "Re-run the assessment" from the bottom right and wait about 5 minutes.



    If that doesn't auto-enable Aero click on Start and in the Start Search type Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects and run the wizard.



    If that still doesn't work you're either on a computer from 2005 (poor you ) or your network admins have inexplicably decided to turn Aero off.



    I just opened my parallels version of win 7 ultimate on my 2 months old macbook air to show u what I mean. And I'm pretty sure it has aero as the web pages are showing small in those boxes both here and at work.



    http://www.mypicx.com/12062011/excel_on_win7_aero/



    and all I wish microsoft had for their own excel was a peek similar to this thing they have for webpages. was it so hard to do? really?



    http://admintell.napco.com/ee/images..._Aero_Peek.jpg



    seems like other ppl have problems with it too:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-8bccc661cf3e



    and if this is because excel I use is 2007 version then its unacceptable to not have this feature for a 2007 software released by ms itself
  • Reply 62 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post


    I just bought a netbook for my 6 year old son......



    So you don't touch anything Windows for 8 years, then buy a $160 netbook with Windows 7 Starter and you feel the poor experience you had means everything Microsoft make is crap (even the Xbox)?
  • Reply 63 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post


    I just opened my parallels version of win 7 ultimate on my 2 months old macbook air to show u what I mean. And I'm pretty sure it has aero as the web pages are showing small in those boxes both here and at work.



    http://www.mypicx.com/12062011/excel_on_win7_aero/



    and all I wish microsoft had for their own excel was a peek similar to this thing they have for webpages. was it so hard to do? really?



    http://admintell.napco.com/ee/images..._Aero_Peek.jpg



    seems like other ppl have problems with it too:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-8bccc661cf3e



    and if this is because excel I use is 2007 version then its unacceptable to not have this feature for a 2007 software released by ms itself



    I know if the Windows Desktop Manager is restarted (e.g. due to switching users, resume from sleep/hibernate etc) the Aero Peek feature isn't available until you maximise the Window again.



    However if you never see Aero Peek with Excel then I'm not sure what the problem is!
  • Reply 64 of 137
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Microsoft Tablet PC was more than seven years earlier than iPad. It did not become popular. And for seven years Microsoft failed to improve on it like Apple did to iPad. This shows that Microsoft Tablet PC has problems. Of course the media do not know it. Because the media does not understand the PC technology. They are just Windows fans.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    Every successful corporation goes through certain stages.



    Apple is in its "Adolescence," finding its way without it's founder.



    Microsoft is past "bureaucracy" on its way to "death". It's spending so much time trying to hold on to what it already has, that it isn't creating anything new. It's bloated and slow-moving, and it's losing ground in every direction.



    This whole Windows 8 tablet misadventure is such a huge expenditure of money and energy and the public is, I think, very skeptical of Microsoft innovations at this point. I'm sure we can all rattle of a litany of Microsoft products and services that not only failed, but failed spectacularly.



    Does anyone honestly think that Windows 8 and this tablet are going to be a success?



    I would say that the board of directors needs to fire Ballmer, but I don't think bringing in someone new would make any difference. I'm betting that within 10 years, Microsoft gets a new CEO, is split into smaller companies and sold off piece by piece. Anyone want to give me odds?
  • Reply 66 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    A colleague at a non-profit where I am part-time rolled-his-own PC... Decent specs. Core i5, Radeon 5770 1GB, etc. Tried to turn it on, hanging at "Please wait..." before the Welcome screen.



    Yes, there could be many reasons why this happened or what he messed up, but, really, Windows is EOL in so many ways. Just that people don't know it yet. Like fossil fuels



    I tolerated Windows7 for three solid years because I managed to game on it. A few months ago, with my Xbox360, I now presumably never have to touch Windows unless necessary or for work-related purposes (even then...). You simply cannot quantify how amazing it is to simply go home, press the on button on the Xbox360, no internet connection needed, no endless upgrades, and just start playing the darn game just a few minutes after you turn on the Xbox360. "It just works"



    Again, Apple, is just light years ahead. I'm typing this on a PowerPC G4 dual 1Ghz 1GB RAM, 10.4.11 here at the non-profit organisation. Made almost 10 years ago, it is still working nicely. Turn off Flash and Photoshop CS, iWork '09, Safari, Firefox seem to hum along alright. Oh, and it has Gigabit Ethernet. Back before it was cool. Beautiful machine. Assembled in Singapore, with lots of Japanese components too I'm sure.
  • Reply 67 of 137
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    I'm typing this on a PowerPC G4 dual 1Ghz 1GB RAM, 10.4.11 here at the non-profit organisation. Made almost 10 years ago, it is still working nicely.



    Same here. I have multiple Macs, but one of them is a Power PC Quicksilver 933, that's about the same age as the one you mentioned. I don't use it all that often, since I have newer, faster Macs to use, but I have 10.4 (and OS 9) installed on it, and it still works as good today as the day I got it about 10 years ago. It still looks sexy.
  • Reply 68 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acrobratt View Post


    Every successful corporation goes through certain stages.



    Apple is in its "Adolescence," finding its way without it's founder.



    Microsoft is past "bureaucracy" on its way to "death". It's spending so much time trying to hold on to what it already has, that it isn't creating anything new. It's bloated and slow-moving, and it's losing ground in every direction.



    This whole Windows 8 tablet misadventure is such a huge expenditure of money and energy and the public is, I think, very skeptical of Microsoft innovations at this point. I'm sure we can all rattle of a litany of Microsoft products and services that not only failed, but failed spectacularly.



    Does anyone honestly think that Windows 8 and this tablet are going to be a success?



    I would say that the board of directors needs to fire Ballmer, but I don't think bringing in someone new would make any difference. I'm betting that within 10 years, Microsoft gets a new CEO, is split into smaller companies and sold off piece by piece. Anyone want to give me odds?



    Bill is still Chairman and that's probably the ONLY reason Ballmer is still CEO. Bill needs to step down, and let go of his baby. If he really wants to do philanthropy, he needs to let go completely of Microsoft and focus on that. Keeping a foot in the door is not helping Microsoft. Not that Bill Gates has a real vision, I admire what he has spent on many significant charities, but most recently earlier this year he was advocating the so-called "generation 4" nuclear reactors and he seemed to be caught in his own hubris... Of course I don't think nuclear power is the way but it was mainly Bill's attitude that was annoying. He seemed like he knew better than everyone. Maybe when Windows 2000 was king, but now, with Microsoft still with him as the ultimate boss, I think Bill's credibility in the tech space is low.



    Ballmer's an easy target but the buck stops at Bill Gates. I am amazed how in so many companies the Board of Directors are virtually DOA. What they do, I have no idea. That's why in Steve's bio the first thing he did when going back to Apple was clear out the whole Board. Even then, we had that Judas Eric ~ what really did he do for Apple as a Director?
  • Reply 69 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Same here. I have multiple Macs, but one of them is a Power PC Quicksilver 933, that's about the same age as the one you mentioned. I don't use it all that often, since I have newer, faster Macs to use, but I have 10.4 (and OS 9) installed on it, and it still works as good today as the day I got it about 10 years ago. It still looks sexy.



    Indeed. I mean, it's even called Quicksilver! Can you believe for over 10 years no PC case has ever come close to the G4 design? They had 10 years to copy it! Instead we have... well, I won't even bother posting pictures.



    Quicksilver MDD was my ultimate favourite of the PowerMac G4s.
  • Reply 70 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    Way back when, every time I upgraded a windows OS, I always had issues. Usually, driver problems. With Mac upgrades, never had a problem. Not one!



    I've been a Mac user or over a decade nd experience has taught me to never upgrade and software or firmware for Apple products for at least a week or two because inevitably the latest version will break something.



    Whether it be an Airport Extreme, MacBook, iOS version, or OSX release, my experience has taught me to never jump on a new release.
  • Reply 71 of 137
    Personnally, I am very grateful to Microsoft for having issued Vista, because it triggered my decision to entirely switch to Apple. I guess Windows 8 will have the same effect on many Windows users ...
  • Reply 72 of 137
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


    Isn't the reason why Vista was skipped was because it was such crap, which is the same reason why Microsoft rushed to get Windows 7 out there?



    Windows 7 is just Vista 2.0.
  • Reply 73 of 137
    "mac-dock copying" = Actually just natural progression. Lose the text labels (you can turn them on again), and combine quick launch with main bar. Thumbnail previews were already in Vista. That said the Superbar in Windows 7, is superior to the dock, because they manage to intergrate Mac's funky top menu and status icons into one area. I find it truly cumbersome how the top menu doesn't travel with the application, especially when you have a very large monitor, and the application only takes up a fraction of the screen. Jumplists are also incredibly handy as well in Windows 7.



    Excel 2010 allows multiple thumbnails, just checked on my system.



    Windows would seem very expensive if you have already bought your overpriced Mac, and now want to dual boot



    I understand some people do not have an optimal experience with Windows, but many times this is becuase people buy the cheapest netbooks, or complian with systems implemented/managed poorly by IT people, or some people simply lack experience and cannot learn an alternative way of doing things. I don't consider myself any expert by any means, but have had no issues some users speak of here, I have a lag/bug/virus free experience. Of course if someone has many Mac's and no PC's and suddenly adds a PC to the mix, it wont be perfect harmony. The same is true if you have a PC centric office, then try to add a Mac, perfect harmony just doen't happen between the platforms.



    "Can you believe for over 10 years no PC case has ever come close to the G4 design?

    I personally don't agree with this, there are some very nice looking PC cases these days, with high quality materials and build quality. However a lot of users forget the design of the interior. Many PC cases are more customistable, more easily upgradeable, with more options for fans, water cooling, graphic cards etc.



    I expect by posting in an Apple forum I will be totally flammed, so i'm just going to leave this conversation to readers of this site. But I have enjoyed the thoughts from the other side of the fence. I enjoy following all exciting technology, so rest assured I will be also watching Apple's future progress with Mac OSX, and hope Apple can one day entice me back to OSX, but Windows 7 is just currently better, in my opinion. (Note: I use my PC for 3D asset creation, general purpose tasks and games).
  • Reply 74 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    Well that's the point I'm trying to make.



    Yes you can have an x86 based tablet. To look something like an iPad said tablet needs to be running an Atom processor, however to make it useful as an x86 based tablet you need something like a Core i3/i5/i7.



    The Samsung tablet that was given out at BUILD was a Core i5 and had a fan. The Asus EP121 also has a Core i5 but it is also twice as thick as an iPad, twice as heavy and has half the battery life.



    What I'm trying to say is that at the moment there is a trade off. If you want something in the same form factor as an iPad it's either ARM based (so you lose your "full PC") or Atom based (in which case it's not fast enough to be useful as a "full PC" anyway).



    It's not until 2013 (maybe 18 months) that we will get something that looks like an iPad does today, but has the same grunt as a Core i5 driving it.



    Anyone with half a brain should realize that trying to run Windows desktop applications on a thin profile tablet will be fraught with compromises. Processor and battery technology just isn't up to that yet. These people that think they're going to have iPad-class Windows tablets that do double duty as a desktop computer are asking for too much. I'm fairly certain that Apple might have tried porting OSX to an iPad if it was that easy to do. I'm sure Apple realized that average consumers would not be happy with the result.



    Apple isn't trying to impress tech-heads with some kludgy tablet that thinks it can do everything. Apple has likely clearly defined what can be comfortably done with each hardware form factor. I think those new MacBook Airs will be able to be used for both ARM and Intel processors without compromising too much on either chip platform. Apple is building products to target what consumers need unlike Microsoft which is actually trying to keep the Windows desktop metaphor going whether consumers want it or not. I do understand that there needs to be some backwards compatibility if businesses need to use those older files, but consumers probably don't care about that stuff.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    The OS war is over..



    MS won the OS war!



    The new war is the Mobile OS war...



    MS has yet to field an army...



    The OS war may have already been won/lost!



    I know Steve said that but I have a feeling the OS war is actually not over and in another few years OS X will still be gaining strength (albeit a version that is probably morphing closer and closer to iOS) and Windows sales will be dramatically declining.



    On the Mobile OS front, count me as one that thinks MS won't get to the battle in time.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalM View Post


    Windows 7 is just Vista 2.0.



    Frankly every time I use it I think it's more like XP 2.0 rather than Vista where at least MS tried to be slightly different and failed. They went backwards not forwards. Then that isn't surprising, they didn't develop it themselves in the first place so they have to keep edging back to what they stole from Apple to have anything that even half works.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Indeed. I mean, it's even called Quicksilver! Can you believe for over 10 years no PC case has ever come close to the G4 design? They had 10 years to copy it! Instead we have... well, I won't even bother posting pictures.



    What does the QS case have going for it, apart from looking like a spaceship?



    I'd take my own PC case, the design of which goes back about 6 years, over the QS any day because my case is designed to be silent and if I recall correctly the QS was something of a vacuum cleaner. The most evolved designs of today like the Silverstone FT02 are on a whole another level.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post


    I've been a Mac user or over a decade nd experience has taught me to never upgrade and software or firmware for Apple products for at least a week or two because inevitably the latest version will break something.



    Whether it be an Airport Extreme, MacBook, iOS version, or OSX release, my experience has taught me to never jump on a new release.



    Yup. Latest instance of this was when I, against my better knowledge, upgraded my Air from Snow Leopard to Lion shortly after Lion launch. Afterwards Dock process ate 100% of CPU. I did all the troubleshooting I could, including trashing caches, settings etc. At the end the only thing that worked was a total re-install of Lion.
  • Reply 78 of 137


    Is it too soon to begin discussing Windows 9?



  • Reply 79 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Braden99 View Post


    Vista got killed by early poor driver implementation by third-parties, and the fact that it got delayed so many times before release, while features were cut. The media then dragged out the perception of bad Vista forever after. Though it was true Vista didn't perform very well at all on super budget systems like cheap netbooks at the time, on any mid range or high end system it worked great.



    If you look at the product itself a year after release on a decent system, it was a solid opearting system, with many new features, which modernised the ancient Windows XP, and formed the basis of Windows 7 - albeit missing some finesse, and performance improvements. So Vista wasn't really a nightmware product....like a lot people believe



    Sorry dude, you sound like Ballmer's press secretary. Vista was junk, and drivers didn't have much to do with that. Many of what I consider the major problems with Vista - the clusterfuck that is Control Panel, the ugly and distracting interface - have carried right over to Windows 7. And a "decent system" for Windows Vista was, at the time, not the ones it was being supplied on...
  • Reply 80 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    The way I see it if you want a full desktop on a tablet it's because you want to be able to run full desktop applications - either on the tablet itself or when docked to a keyboard (i.e. something like Office, Photoshop, Visual Studio, VMWare, Eclipse, Adobe CS5 etc)



    If you need a keyboard you need a laptop, not a tablet.



    Quote:

    Those are the kind of applications that aren't going to run well on an Atom processor.



    No, they don't.
Sign In or Register to comment.