IDC predicts PC users won't upgrade to Windows 8, tablet sales will be "disappointing"

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Most non-tech corporations (like insurance companies) just finished updating to Windows XP. Tech related companies are updating to Windows 7. I don't think enterprise wants anything to do with what Windows 8 is shaping up to be. Consumers might be more adventurous, but I don't think Windows 8 is going to have the uptake Microsoft needs. Windows 7 is simply good enough (a single Windows release in the last decade this can be said about).
  • Reply 82 of 137
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Way back when, every time I upgraded a windows OS, I always had issues. Usually, driver problems. With Mac upgrades, never had a problem. Not one!

I'm a MAC user and I can tell you that every upgrade presented "driver" problems. On the upside - most were updated in a very reasonable period of time.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Braden99 View Post

...ARM tablets are very power efficent, no doubt about that, but x86 are built for speed, so I believe for the tasks I will be doing on the tablet, x86 will supply sufficent processing power

But isn't that always the assumption/excuse? ..."next year, when the technology catches up". This is forever the promise of Windows. It's kludgy, and you need twice the speed and four times the RAM of a Mac just so you don't feel like you are wading through molasses.

There are these constant references to spec lists and how this or that Android tablet has the iPad beat because it uses the latest greatest hardware, quad core ARM processors, faster processors, 1GB of RAM or more instead of the 512MB on iPad... and yet, the actual UX shows iOS to be much smoother in practice. Just why does anyone think this is?

It is because Apple knows both hardware and software and is developing them in harmony! Besides, Apple is not just using off-the-shelf ARM processors. There is some custom silicon in its A4/5 chips of which the ARM CPU ref design is just a part. Apple has in-house experience with this and it has the guys from PA SemiConductor. And Apple is not standing still -- Apple is innovating all the time and tweaks all kinds of things including hardware acceleration using the GPU, and battery design life.

So, what, in the history of the world, gives you any confidence whatsoever that MS is just going to pull something unexpected right out of their hats when:

1) they have not previously managed to scale a desktop OS successfully to any other processor (and this is the second or third time for OS X); and they are only just now starting.

2) they have had little success with hardware and optimizing/integrating hardware and software. The whole approach of MS is a one-size-fits all approach... that's just how they roll. (I am using "one-size-fits" all in a diff sense than it is often used of Apple, which, while having a limited range of configurations, does indeed tailor each experience to each usage case; whereas, MS says you can have Windows everywhere, on anything, but it is the same old Windows).
  • Reply 84 of 137
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Most non-tech corporations (like insurance companies) just finished updating to Windows XP. Tech related companies are updating to Windows 7.

BS. I'm sure there are some stragglers who have done some installations of XP on the last 1% of their closet computers in 2011 but the bulk of companies transitioned to XP a long time ago. Judging from W7's >20% marketshare, the bulk of tech related companies have been on W7 for a while.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterpri...enterprise.php

Quote:

I don't think enterprise wants anything to do with what Windows 8 is shaping up to be. Consumers might be more adventurous, but I don't think Windows 8 is going to have the uptake Microsoft needs. Windows 7 is simply good enough (a single Windows release in the last decade this can be said about).

Companies which haven't done a W7 transition yet have no reason to go W7 when they can go W8 instead. Most consumers will get W8 with their next computer as usual, but more than before will update due to a substantially easier download/install process. It would also make sense for MS to set the prices lower than before, for the same reason Apple does.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

So you don't touch anything Windows for 8 years, then buy a $160 netbook with Windows 7 Starter and you feel the poor experience you had means everything Microsoft make is crap (even the Xbox)?

the XBox is crap...50+% failure rate.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    mactacmactac Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When Windows 8 turns into a disaster of epic proportions, it will be the ideal time for Apple to announce OSX going open source, available for both Mac and Windows machines...

Let's hope. Then we could (sort of) have the mid range mid sized Mac we've been wanting for years.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    8002580025 Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Windows XP was the Fisher Price edition, and Windows 8 is turning into the LeapFrog edition.

There is no way I will upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Metro is a cruel joke!

Guess that makes windows phone the Playmobil (http://www.playmobil.de/) edition . Talk about age and developmental appropriateness.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    8002580025 Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When Windows 8 turns into a disaster of epic proportions, it will be the ideal time for Apple to announce OSX going open source, available for both Mac and Windows machines...

windows 8, windows vista, windows me - the trifecta of os diasters
  • Reply 89 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

the XBox is crap...50+% failure rate.

It's improved greatly. Except for playing from DVD. Be sure to install to hard disk. The discs, I think especially pre-owned, rattle like a beast.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

What does the QS case have going for it, apart from looking like a spaceship?

I'd take my own PC case, the design of which goes back about 6 years, over the QS any day because my case is designed to be silent and if I recall correctly the QS was something of a vacuum cleaner. The most evolved designs of today like the Silverstone FT02 are on a whole another level.

For it's time the design was (and is) fantastic. Plus benefits like GigEthernet, USB and ADC~ one single cable for power and graphics signal. The noise factor was tolerable for its generation.

To compare to the evolved designs of today you'd have to look at the Mac Pro, that is the best "current era" PC case out there. The noise level of the Mac Pro is comparable to top-quality PC cases. The internal design is unmatched by any PC case, by branded manufacturer or custom case manufacturers.

Silverstone FT02? I'm sure it's a good case and I used to have a Silverstone 500W True Power thingy... but, the case design? Not sure what "level" it is at.

VS

(Note that the Mac Pro image is actually with the side panel REMOVED, while the Silverstone is with the panel ON. Also, the Mac Pro has the disc drives and USB+Front Audio ports shown, while the Silverstone is BEFORE the disc drives and USB/Front Audio ports are installed.

It might come down to a matter of taste, eg. a souped-up import with neon lights vs a stock Lamborghini.
  • Reply 91 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by runner7775 View Post

Count me in as one that will be upgrading my PC to Windows 8. This will be the 4th OS this PC has seen(XP, Vista, 7, 8). As long as there is customization of the system color theme, I will be happy.

Since the Developer Preview was not feature complete and lacked metro apps of any substance, using the metro interface much made little sense. Hopefully when the app store is opened(MS event tomorrow to talk about the store) we will get a chance to use the interface as it was intended.

I'm also very interested in a tablet to test Windows 8 on. So if anyone has a HP Slate that they can't stand, I can take it off of their hands.

Windows is dying. it will take a long while to clear out the carcasses but death is unavoidable. i have totally removed Windows and Office from my personal existence. if companies have money they should go with Apple. If not, then Linux.
  • Reply 92 of 137
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

But isn't that always the assumption/excuse? ..."next year, when the technology catches up". This is forever the promise of Windows. It's kludgy, and you need twice the speed and four times the RAM of a Mac just so you don't feel like you are wading through molasses.

Nonsense. As far as I know, Win7 incrementally improves upon Vista in every respect, and most of Vista's bad rep was from people cheaping out on hardware. I'm posting from a Vista desktop actually. Glad I went with it instead of XP.
    Quote:

There are these constant references to spec lists and how this or that Android tablet has the iPad beat because it uses the latest greatest hardware, quad core ARM processors, faster processors, 1GB of RAM or more instead of the 512MB on iPad... and yet, the actual UX shows iOS to be much smoother in practice. Just why does anyone think this is?

It is because Apple knows both hardware and software and is developing them in harmony!

Harmony is a red herring. Apple uses some of the fastest mass-produced hardware money can buy. The bulk of the difference comes from software maturity. Google just needs to catch up on that, and they seem to have covered most of the distance with Android 4.0.

Actual benefits from tight SW/HW integration do exist, but they are found mainly in battery life, battery-related and network-related behaviors. It's only major changes in interaction that depend on SW/HW integration. A recent example is Samsung's S-pen stylus, which combines hardware and software to deliver a substantially different experience than Android mainstream or Apple are able to.

Quote:

So, what, in the history of the world, gives you any confidence whatsoever that MS is just going to pull something unexpected right out of their hats when:

1) they have not previously managed to scale a desktop OS successfully to any other processor (and this is the second or third time for OS X); and they are only just now starting.

"Have not previously managed" implies they have tried and failed, which is bullshit. They have successfully ported and sold Windows on several architectures, and have had no reason to port a full desktop environment. They have a smorgasbord of experience from miscellaneous hardware like the earlier mobile efforts, Zunes, and XBox. As for bringing the new environment to developers, developer support and tools offering has always been one of Microsoft's core technical strengths. Betting against them on this is nuts.

Quote:

2) they have had little success with hardware and optimizing/integrating hardware and software. The whole approach of MS is a one-size-fits all approach... that's just how they roll. (I am using "one-size-fits" all in a diff sense than it is often used of Apple, which, while having a limited range of configurations, does indeed tailor each experience to each usage case; whereas, MS says you can have Windows everywhere, on anything, but it is the same old Windows).

Well, they just threw all that out of the window with Windows 8 ARM.
  • Reply 93 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Way back when, every time I upgraded a windows OS, I always had issues. Usually, driver problems. With Mac upgrades, never had a problem. Not one!

Windows 8 does not include a newer driver model--it retains the one that was set forth in Vista and provides improvements.
  • Reply 94 of 137
    Windows 8 is a weird beast. It's the baggage of Windows with the user interface of WP7, minus the user experience continuity of the classic Windows desktop. It does not seem particularly desirable.

It's speculative right now whether Windows 8 will fail. A decade or so ago, people assumed Microsoft was a juggernaut and they couldn't fail, but I think those days are behind us now. What's interesting is that Microsoft's strengths were support for their solution partners and enterprise customers, but with Windows 8 Metro flashiness, they seem to be going after Apple's stronghold on the consumer. Yay for competition, but their "new old thing" solution seems myopic, not inspired.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Monopoly? Did Apple stop selling Macs?

You don't need to be an absolute monopoly to illegally abuse your market dominance. Standard Oil had 68% of the US market when they were broken up. I don't know if Apple necessarily even competes directly against Windows computers, their price point is higher than the average Windows computer.

I do think that MS did abuse their monopoly, but that's not the whole story. The network effect of applications and ecosystem gives a strong disincentive to try something else, if you need a very specific app, the likelihood that it's offered on another platform is low. Often, file compatibility issues prevents the use of a similar program that's on other platforms. The cost of app development tends to discourage ports to other platforms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

I've been a Mac user or over a decade nd experience has taught me to never upgrade and software or firmware for Apple products for at least a week or two because inevitably the latest version will break something.

Whether it be an Airport Extreme, MacBook, iOS version, or OSX release, my experience has taught me to never jump on a new release.

I agree, but in comparison, I tend to wait a year or more before upgrading a Microsoft product. With MacOS, at least SuperDuper makes it trivial to back up the computer before upgrading (heck, it schedules boot drive backups for every week, every day or any combination of days), so I can go back just by switching the boot partition. The Windows equivalents that I've used are considerably more clumsy, often requiring a reboot to a separate program running on its own OS.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Why even be registered here. Or why even use Apple devices or software? If you love Microsoft so much then stay with them. After all Steve was the one who said that Microsoft couldn't make anything original. Maybe you need to stay with Microsoft and leave Apple people alone.

So?

• Reply 97 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matter37 View Post

I won't be upgrading to Windows UN-Gr8 either, from what I've seen it's absolute crap.

What have you seen? Have you used it?
  • Reply 98 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The OS war is over..

MS won the OS war!

The new war is the Mobile OS war...

MS has yet to field an army...

The OS war may have already been won/lost!

I don't think so... too early in the life stage still...it's just beginning. All the players need to be in the game too. I wouldn't cut MS off so short not that I think they have anything that Gr8 either but I'm sure the shift my sway again between MS and Google once they are in and ICS fully infiltrate's into the system.
  • Reply 99 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Why even be registered here. Or why even use Apple devices or software? If you love Microsoft so much then stay with them. After all Steve was the one who said that Microsoft couldn't make anything original. Maybe you need to stay with Microsoft and leave Apple people alone.

I didn't realise that to post on an Apple forum, you have to only like Apple products and believe that any competing product can't possibly be better than the Apple product in any way! I don't understand the 'them and us' mentality. Why shouldn't I like and use both Windows 7 and Mac OS X? They're both good products.

I'm registered here because I like Apple products - I own an iPhone 4 and an MBP - and I like discussing them. But I certainly wouldn't call myself an 'Apple person' any more than I'm a 'Microsoft person'. Unwavering loyalty to any multinational corporation - whether it's Apple or Microsoft - is cringeworthy and ridiculous. They're only interested in your money, not your technological happiness. Buy their products because they meet or exceed your needs, and buy someone else's products the minute they suit you better.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    ?but with Windows 8 Metro flashiness, they seem to be going after Apple's stronghold on the consumer?Windows 8 also contains incremental improvements across many aspects of the OS, and has performance and boot improvements, so there is no reason enterprise customers won?t choose Windows 8 on new systems. Isn?t Windows also a stronghold with the consumer? The (almost) 500 million Windows 7 sold, were not all to enterprise.

?It's kludgy, and you need twice the speed and four times the RAM of a Mac just so you don't feel like you are wading through molasses.?Maybe once upon a time, but I find Windows 7 runs on older hardware in a smoother way than any version of OSX. Windows 8 further reduces the performance foothold, requiring only slightly more than a few hundred megabyte of RAM. Most systems have at least 4GB these days, RAM is so cheap (well at least if your not getting an Apple system), I have 16GB in current system. But had no issues with my previous 4GB system.

?major problems with Vista - the clusterfuck that is Control Panel, the ugly and distracting interface - have carried right over to Windows 7?

Control panel may not be integrated into one user interface. But then you only have to start typing the name of something, and your taken right to the option you need. I use search 95% of the time to find the options I won?t to change, and in my opinion the grouping of certain settings works well. I do believe Windows naturally has more settings/options to adjust, so requires a greater number of screen and groups than Mac OSX. The only time System Preferences on OSX has been superior to Windows, was during the XP era. I really dislike the flat view, with no categories, which can still be activated in Win 7.

?Windows is dying. It will take a long while to clear out the carcasses but death is unavoidable. i have totally removed Windows and Office from my personal existence. if companies have money they should go with Apple. If not, then Linux.?

Mac OSX is dying. It will take a long while to clear out the carcasses but death is unavoidable. i have totally removed OSX and iWork from my personal existence. If companies have money they should go with Microsoft. If not, then Linux.

The Corsair Obsidian 650D is a nicer looking case, yeah I agree that Silverstone case doesn?t appeal to me at all. But the Mac Pro just looks so bulky and cluttered on the inside, dense with boxy subdivisions, and a design that hasn?t changed for eons in the tech industry. I like the Corsair 650D case because it has a clean, subtle design, with excellent build quality and unique features, like hot swappable drive bay, tool-less and excellent cooling.