iOS, Android activations surge 353% on record setting Christmas Day

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Devices running Apple's iOS and Google's Android platforms saw a huge spike in activations Christmas Day, growing 353 percent from average totals earlier in December.



In the first 20 days of December, mobile device activations tracked by analytics firm Flurry were around 1.5 million each day. But on Dec. 25, it identified 6.8 million new iOS and Android activations, representing 353 percent growth.



The previous single-day record tracked by Flurry came on Christmas Day in 2010, when there were 2.8 million device activations. That means Christmas 2011, the new record-holder for the biggest activation day, saw growth of more than 140 percent.



Flurry's statistics come from the company's analytics software, which is found in more than 140,000 applications. Peter Farago, vice president of marketing with Flurry, claimed that his company's statistics detect "roughly" 100 percent of new iOS and Android devices activated each day.



Application downloads on both iOS and Android also grew by 125 percent on Christmas Day, reaching 242 million. For the first 20 days of December, downloads averaged 108 million.



Flurry's statistics show Apple's App Store on pace to exceed 10 billion application downloads by the end of 2011. That would double the cumulative number of downloads that came in 2008, 2009 and 2010 combined.



Google's Android Market has also had a banner year in 2011. As of May 2011 it had 3 billion cumulative application downloads, but that number is expected to reach 10 billion by the end of the year.







Flurry reported earlier this month that iOS applications rake in 300 percent more revenue than their Android counterparts. That means for every dollar generated by an iOS application, a corresponding Android application brings in 24 cents in revenue.



As for activations, Google Vice President Andy Rubin said last week that new Android devices are being activated at a rate of 700,000 units per day. Apple has not revealed daily iOS activations in over a year, but did announce during its last quarterly earnings conference call that more than 250 million iOS devices had been sold to date.
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 139
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    When I went to the appstore a few days ago and i saw that apps like iBooks were at the top of the charts, I knew that it could only mean one thing; A shitload of people had just gotten new iPads, iPhones and iPod touches for XMAS.
  • Reply 2 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post










    Flurry's statistics show Apple's App Store on pace to exceed 10 billion application downloads by the end of 2011. That would double the cumulative number of downloads that came in 2008, 2009 and 2010 combined.














    Is there anybody who still believes that Apple is just breaking even on this stuff?
  • Reply 3 of 139
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    facebook messenger was at the top of the free apps list as well



    decided to download the 2100 apps i've "bought" from the app store over the weekend on the new macbook. they were downloading slower than usual
  • Reply 4 of 139
    Please provide more details on iOS vs. Android if available



    "Who won Christmas"?
  • Reply 5 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post


    Please provide more details on iOS vs. Android if available



    "Who won Christmas"?



    Corporations.
  • Reply 6 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post


    Please provide more details on iOS vs. Android if available



    "Who won Christmas"?



    The Consumer. We wanted choice and we got it. We won because we have two OS's to choose from.
  • Reply 7 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post


    Please provide more details on iOS vs. Android if available



    "Who won Christmas"?



    China.
  • Reply 8 of 139
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post


    "Who won Christmas"?



    Apple won of course, as they're making more profits than anybody else. Some ignorant Fandroid might come along and claim that every phone in the world that is not an iPhone and that is running Android sold more when you add all of those companies up together, but so what? That doesn't mean anything at all.



    Who else won Christmas?



    iOS developers, as they're actually getting paid for their apps and making money for their hard work. Many Android people don't even have a credit card to their name and they do not have any accounts set up to buy apps with. It doesn't really matter though, as the Android market is a pile of fragmented garbage filled with poor offerings, malware and third rate apps.



    Apple customers also won of course, as those people who got new Apple devices are surely happy as shit, and they're currently downloading and enjoying new apps and feeling the joy of using their new devices, the best available, bar none.



    Android customers have had a miserable Christmas, as there has no doubt been countless crying children who were dismayed when they saw some piece of shit Android device under the Christmas tree instead of an Apple device, which they had been hoping for.
  • Reply 9 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    When I went to the appstore a few days ago and i saw that apps like iBooks were at the top of the charts, I knew that it could only mean one thing; A shitload of people had just gotten new iPads, iPhones and iPod touches for XMAS.



    I may (quite likely) be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the App Store goes into some kind of lockdown mode for about a week at Xmas time. No new submissions, no updates, no changes in sales rankings. This, according to my understanding, was the reason some developers like Electronic Arts stage dramatic, slash-and-burn 99-cent sales in the run-up to the holiday: because new iThing owners will rush to fill up their new gadgets with apps, and what they see in the top-seller charts will reflect the frenzied buying spurred by pre-holiday promotions. There is no opportunity for things to "level out" to a more normal distribution until the App Store unlocks, a few days after Xmas.



    If this understanding is correct then examining App Store rankings today tells us nothing about what really happened at Christmas. We'll see that Friday, I think. (This year's lockdown started last Thursday and was set to last 8 days.)



    I have no doubt you're right, though. Apple owned this Christmas. Details to follow in next month's quarterly earnings call.
  • Reply 10 of 139
    1st1st Posts: 265member
    As for activations, Google Vice President Andy Rubin said last week that new Android devices are being activated at a rate of 700,000 units per day. Apple has not revealed daily iOS activations in over a year, but did announce during its last quarterly earnings conference call that more than 250 million iOS devices had been sold to date.[/QUOTE]



    wow, US still in reccession? cheap phone still preferred over the real thing (or VZ marketing worked overdrive during the holiday season).
  • Reply 11 of 139
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post


    I may (quite likely) be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the App Store goes into some kind of lockdown mode for about a week at Xmas time. No new submissions, no updates, no changes in sales rankings. This, according to my understanding, was the reason some developers like Electronic Arts stage dramatic, slash-and-burn 99-cent sales in the run-up to the holiday: because new iThing owners will rush to fill up their new gadgets with apps, and what they see in the top-seller charts will reflect the frenzied buying spurred by pre-holiday promotions. There is no opportunity for things to "level out" to a more normal distribution until the App Store unlocks, a few days after Xmas.



    If this understanding is correct then examining App Store rankings today tells us nothing about what really happened at Christmas. We'll see that Friday, I think. (This year's lockdown started last Thursday and was set to last 8 days.)



    I have no doubt you're right, though. Apple owned this Christmas. Details to follow in next month's quarterly earnings call.



    Yes, I think that you're correct in that things slow down around Christmas with app submissions approval time etc. and staff vacation time possibly, but aren't the charts automated?



    I could have sworn that the charts do change whenever I seem to check them and I have checked them in the past few days when looking for some new apps.
  • Reply 12 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Apple won of course, as they're making more profits than anybody else. Some ignorant Fandroid might come along and claim that every phone in the world that is not an iPhone and that is running Android sold more when you add all of those companies up together, but so what? That doesn't mean anything at all.



    Who else won Christmas?



    iOS developers, as they're actually getting paid for their apps and making money for their hard work. Many Android people don't even have a credit card to their name and they do not have any accounts set up to buy apps with. It doesn't really matter though, as the Android market is a pile of fragmented garbage filled with poor offerings, malware and third rate apps.



    Apple customers also won of course, as those people who got new Apple devices are surely happy as shit, and they're currently downloading and enjoying new apps and feeling the joy of using their new devices, the best available, bar none.



    Android customers have had a miserable Christmas, as there has no doubt been countless crying children who were dismayed when they saw some piece of shit Android device under the Christmas tree instead of an Apple device, which they had been hoping for.



    You got all that from that article? I will go back and re-read. All I got was that iOS and Android had an awesome Christmas and that competition is a good thing.
  • Reply 13 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post


    Please provide more details on iOS vs. Android if available



    "Who won Christmas"?



    Earlier stats show Android phones are selling at about twice the pace of iOS, with the trend that Android is growing much much faster than iOS.



    I would expect that iOS grew about 100% while Android grew at over 250%.
  • Reply 14 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post


    wow, US still in reccession? cheap phone still preferred over the real thing (or VZ marketing worked overdrive during the holiday season).



    Define real?



    Makes phone calls - Check

    Internet connectivity - Check

    Email - Check

    SMS - Check



    Seems many phones fall into what I would consider real, what do you consider real?
  • Reply 15 of 139
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


    You got all that from that article? I will go back and re-read. All I got was that iOS and Android had an awesome Christmas and that competition is a good thing.



    I went to the source, and that's what I got from it.



    You can go to their homepage and read about the difference between iOS and Android in their earlier studies.
  • Reply 16 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Apple won of course



    Many Android people don't even have a credit card to their name and they do not have any accounts set up to buy apps with. It doesn't really matter though, as the Android market is a pile of fragmented garbage filled with poor offerings, malware and third rate apps.



    Apple customers also won of course, as those people who got new Apple devices are surely happy as shit, and they're currently downloading and enjoying new apps and feeling the joy of using their new devices, the best available, bar none.



    Android customers have had a miserable Christmas, as there has no doubt been countless crying children who were dismayed when they saw some piece of shit Android device under the Christmas tree instead of an Apple device, which they had been hoping for.



    Wow, it doesn't get any more pompous than that. I am so happy to be human and not in the same classification as your royalty stature. For if I was, I might be making idiotic comments like yours while thinking my crap doesn't stink. Merry Christmas your holiness.
  • Reply 17 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I went to the source, and that's what I got from it.



    You can go to their homepage and read about the difference between iOS and Android in their earlier studies.



    I personally use both and have been able to form my own opinions and am not reliant on others to think for me. Thanks though.
  • Reply 18 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post


    Well aren't you a pompous pile a crap? Wow, I'm at a loss for words for your demeaning remarks at what type of person buys an Android device (which I might add are the majority of people around the globe). I'm proud not to be in the same classification as idiots like you. Your parents must be so proud of the prick they have raised. Wow...



    Sigh, you took a giant bite. Better put on your BS helmet.
  • Reply 19 of 139
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post


    Well aren't you a pompous pile a crap? Wow, I'm at a loss for words for your demeaning remarks at what type of person buys an Android device (which I might add are the majority of people around the globe). I'm proud not to be in the same classification as idiots like you. Your parents must be so proud of the prick they have raised. Wow...



    You may be at a loss for words, but you can't really argue with facts and logic.



    Android customers lack the ability and the will to pay for stuff. They are cheapskates and they have a freeloading OWS type of mentality which ultimately affects the entire Android platform.



    However, the largest single factor that appears to impact developer support for the platform is the consumer?s ability to pay. This comes down to Google Checkout penetration. Upon setting up an iOS device, a consumer must associate either a credit or gift card to her iTunes account. In theory, this means that 100% of all iOS device users are payment enabled. This has not been the case for Android, resulting in lower revenue generation possibilities on the platform.



    http://blog.flurry.com/
  • Reply 20 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post


    You got all that from that article?



    Naw - it was all plucked from an orifice.





Sign In or Register to comment.