Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Comments

• Reply 241 of 262
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Apple should simply release a 4.5" to 5" iPhone in addition to the 3.5".  They'd dominate the market with that duo.  And if they made iOS just a touch more open, they'd more than likely kill Android.  

• Reply 242 of 262
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

And if they made iOS just a touch more open… 

Meaning what?

• Reply 243 of 262
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member

edit

• Reply 244 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Since they don't have any information on how they came up with their 'hottest selling phones', let's go with someone who actually measures the number sold and let's look at more than one month to add validity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/top-selling-smartphones-us_n_1299089.html

#1, 2, 3 were all from Apple - 3.5" screen

#4 was Blackberry curve - 3.7" screen

#5 was the HTC-EVO 4G - which does have a 4.3" screen.

So 4 of the top 5 selling phones last year had screens smaller than 4". The iPhones alone accounted for 35% of the total market.

I think you're going to need some real data to support your claim other than "hottest selling phones" from some unknown source and methodology.

I thought we were discussing what is selling now rather than as far back as 14 months ago? BTW, the top-selling devices in my link were by Canaccord Genuity. AI has their report on it here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/02/samsung_rivaling_htc_motorola_to_take_second_place_among_us_carriers_after_iphone_4s.html

You didn't indicate any distrust of them when you commented in that thread.

I thought you might appreciate the version with pictures to make it clearer. I'm sorry you still didn't understand it. but perhaps if you look at it again.

The very first page plainly states where the data came from:

"Our image gallery breaks down the three top-selling smartphones at each of America's four largest carriers last month, as determined from checks by Canaccord Genuity, the analyst firm."

• Reply 245 of 262
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    <p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">I thought we were discussing what is selling now rather than as far back as 14 months ago? BTW, the top-selling devices in my link were by Canaccord Genuity. AI has their report on it here:</p>

<p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/02/samsung_rivaling_htc_motorola_to_take_second_place_among_us_carriers_after_iphone_4s.html</p>

<p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">You didn't indicate any distrust of them when you commented in that thread.</p>

<p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);"> </p>

<p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">I thought you might appreciate the version with pictures to make it clearer. I'm sorry you still didn't understand it. but perhaps if you look at it again.</p>

<p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);"> </p>

<p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">The very first page plainly states where the data came from:</p>

<p style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);"><span style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">"Our image gallery breaks down the three top-selling smartphones at each of America's four largest carriers last month, as determined from checks by Canaccord Genuity, the analyst firm."</span>
    </p>

Still waiting for you to provide numbers. What percentage of phones are > 4.5"? Last time I saw figures, the percentage was relatively small. If you disagree, how about some evidence? Your numbers are useless for several reasons:

1. They are US only.
    2. They don't show any volumes. If the iPhone were 99% of sales and everything else split the remaining 1%, then it would be clear that the smaller screen retained the lead. You haven't provided a single thing that shows how many phones were sold of each screen size.
  • Reply 246 of 262

You're the one claiming 4" and up displays aren't selling. Do have any links to support that?  I've also offered links indicating existing smartphone owners would overwhelmingly prefer a larger display to what they currently have. Do you have any links that would even go so far as to claim most iPhone owners don't want their display to be any larger than it is?

You say a lot of stuff but aren't offering much of anything to support your position. In the "who to trust" category I personally prefer those with at least minimal evidence that backs what they say.

• Reply 247 of 262
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You're the one claiming 4" and up displays aren't selling. Do have any links to support that?  I've also offered links indicating existing smartphone owners would overwhelmingly prefer a larger display to what they currently have. Do you have any links that would even go so far as to claim most iPhone owners don't want their display to be any larger than it is?

You say a lot of stuff but aren't offering much of anything to support your position. In the "who to trust" category I personally prefer those with at least minimal evidence that backs what they say.

As usual, you're making things up and pretending I said them. Do you do anything besides straw man arguments?

I never said that some iPhone users wouldn't like a larger phone. What I said repeatedly is that since the top selling phones of all time have 3.5" screens that it's apparently not an important enough factor to drive the purchase decision.
  • Reply 248 of 262

Then again, why did you bother to question the Strategy Analytics article's premise that most users would prefer a larger screen on their next smartphone by using last years smartphone sales as proof they were wrong? Geeesh!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/149844/samsung-unveils-quad-core-galaxy-s-iii-with-4-8-amoled-screen/200#post_2105681

Read your own posts once in awhile instead of trying to find imaginary faults with nearly anything anyone else posts.

• Reply 249 of 262
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    It's a meaningless comparison because it tells nothing about normal perception. It's like saying that a fashion model is ugly because you can see the pores of their skin through a microscope.

Actually, it's not like that at all. The differences between a pentile screen and iPhone retina display are easily distinguishable by the human eye.
  • Reply 250 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Actually, it's not like that at all. The differences between a pentile screen and iPhone retina display are easily distinguishable by the human eye.

The newer Pentile display isn't the same as those from two years back. When discussing Samsung's SuperAmoled 720HD display (not even the Plus version), used on both the Galaxy Nexus and the new Galaxy III,  Anandtech had this to say:

For me at least, the Galaxy Nexus display exceeds my visual acuity - I cannot pick out subpixels at all on the Galaxy Nexus. Quite literally, the RGBG subpixel stripe is now small enough that it is beyond visual acuity at standard viewing distance (1 foot).

• Reply 251 of 262
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Apple has determined that 3.5" is the maximum size for a screen to be useable with one hand.

Source? Where did Apple say "3.5" is the maximum size for a screen to be useable with one hand."?
  • Reply 252 of 262
    anim8ranim8r Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The newer Pentile display isn't the same as those from two years back. When discussing Samsung's SuperAmoled 720HD display (not even the Plus version), used on both the Galaxy Nexus and the new Galaxy III,  Anandtech had this to say:

For me at least, the Galaxy Nexus display exceeds my visual acuity - I cannot pick out subpixels at all on the Galaxy Nexus. Quite literally, the RGBG subpixel stripe is now small enough that it is beyond visual acuity at standard viewing distance (1 foot).

I have both and in comparison to the iPhone 4S the GNex is terrible.

• Reply 253 of 262

Terrible in what way? With access to both you have a qualified opinion unlike some here.

• Reply 254 of 262
    rajani007rajani007 Posts: 1member

Hi friends !

I am heard some news that Sumsung is making mobile like iphone. what do you think about this.

damdama lake

• Reply 255 of 262
    yu119995yu119995 Posts: 26member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

5% is a mile?

Source please.

• Reply 256 of 262
    yu119995yu119995 Posts: 26member

Black pots and kettles.

• Reply 257 of 262
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Not have "Android" on my RSS feed?

Which Android RSS feed features AI articles?
  • Reply 258 of 262
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Which Android RSS feed features AI articles?

I didn't bother responding to that because it made absolutely no sense as a reply to what I said. Not gonna waste my time with a game of cat and mouse. image

• Reply 259 of 262
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Not when then the resolution is 1280 x 720 at 316 dpi, sorry it just isn't so. Especially when it's also a SAMOLED+. My Galaxy Note only has 295 dpi at 1280 x 800 and that screen is nothing but amazing.

• Reply 260 of 262
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Notice how much your hand position had to shift to use different parts of the phone. I can use my iPhone without having to shift it at all.

Besides, what you fail to realize is that it's not a 'one size fits all' situation. Everyone has their own needs and wants and will choose the phone that works better for them. And the facts are that the percentage of phones purchased with a 4.5" and up screen is relatively small.

Nope, I actually had to turn my whole upper body on my left to click the mouse button and take the two following screenshots, that's only why my hand shifted, i can move my thumb at the four conners of the screen without moving my hand at all. Of course that one size doesn't fit all, that's precisely why a 3.5 screen size mentioned as a "golden rule" is fallacious to say the least. Phones with bigger screen are relatively recent and onerous, yet are released out fast and will increasingly be buyed, that's a given.