Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

Comments

• Reply 161 of 229
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

And my belief comes from days flying jet trainers.  Eyes outside the cockpit.

I just don't know why you suggested that I use my phone instead of the built in navigation.

I have never flown an airplane but when I was learning to drive they told us to keep your eyes moving, front, rear view, side mirrors, and instrument cluster. Also when you start the vehicle it reminds you to only use the navigation display when traffic conditions permit.

• Reply 162 of 229
    jbhoulejbhoule Posts: 20member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would pay a few dollars extra NOT to have this film included.  :-)

It really shows what kind of company Google is, and particularly what kind of audience Android is aimed at to include this poorly-written, poorly-acted, misogynist, over-the-top crap film on their device actually.  

I can't think of a more fitting choice of film to include for free. 

Well, we all can't  be snobby elites and sophisticated intelligentsia like you my lord.

Hey Google, how about some upper crust flicks? Gone With The Wind? 

• Reply 163 of 229
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I'm in a similar boat except I probably own a lot more Apple gear i.e. Macbook Air, iMac, Mac Mini and iPad.  I liked my iPhone 4 while I was using it but when the bigger screen Android phones came out I decided to have another look and switched back

I don't see anything in iOS6 that would make me go back to iOS for now but who knows maybe I will change my mind. I have a 4S work phone and I use every once in a while and its ok but the One X has some features I prefer enough to make it my primary phone. I'm a bit of a gadget freak so probably spend way too much on toys :)

I'd consider going the other way personally.  I don't mind going to an iPhone.  But I have 3 conditions:

1) I'm not giving up my plan.  No phone or "user experience" is worth the increased burn rate on my cash flow.  Here in Canada, the majors have 3 year contracts too.  So it's $80 per month for 3 years + $200 for the latest iPhone.  Or I pay for my device, get unlimited everything with Wind and $40 per month.  Even after paying $600 for Galaxy Nexus, I'm still saving more than the iPhone-toting hipsters.  So for me, my network and plan is everything.  I'm not paying twice the bill for  the "experience".

2) Screen size.  Sorry.  I thought the iPhone was too small when I had a Nexus One.  Now that I have a Galaxy Nexus, any screen less than 4 inches is unusable to me.

3) Maps and Navigation.  I was excited to see Apple launch its own maps.  Now I'm hearing all kinds of fail rumours.  This sucks.  I use Google Maps regularly.  Particularly transit navigation.  I'd like to see Apple fix this.

• Reply 164 of 229
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Seems like Ice Cream Sandwich just came out and now we have Jelly Bean. I wonder if the upgrade rate will be any higher.

Will be interesting to see how this latest offering does. Looks like no cellular connections available?

Next up, Deviled Ham.

• Reply 165 of 229
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I agree, I wouldnt buy a tablet without a mobile service.

Correct. Even the Kindle Fire has their built-in free wireless access. I see a potential hit for Google, but it won't come close to denting Apple's sales.

• Reply 166 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Google have to loose money on this project. If Tegra 3 is manufactured at 40nm, the SoC cost about 40-50 dollar. 

I understand Google. They make money on advertising, not on the hardware. The funny thing is that iOS have generated more advertising money for Google then Android.

I disagree.  I don't think Google is losing a penny on this.  If they did, they would have restricted the launch to US only.  The thing is a screen, a processor and a battery.  I'd be surprised if they couldn't keep the price down.

Are they making Apple like margins? No.  Are they dumping tablets? I don't think so.

The teardowns will tell us more.  But somehow, I really doubt this is some kind of loss leader.

• Reply 167 of 229
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Wow!

Between the Surface and Nexus 7 announcements, the posts here on AI have been amazing -- this week it has been "All Skate" for trolls!

Just imagine:  If MS could convert half of the Android trolls or vice versa, they would sell millions...

Of course, trolls don't actually buy anything... Except for DaHarder -- he buys 9 of everything... including the MS Courier TabletBook;)

• Reply 168 of 229
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,271member

Forbes ran an article back in May stating that sub-$200 tablets using NVidia's Tegra3 Kai platform were on the way. Like someone else said, I don't think Google is losing any money on the jointly-branded ASUS/Google tablet either. Furthermore as with the rest of the Nexus devices, it's meant as a build-example for the other Android licensees IMO rather than their competition. Of course Amazon isn't a Google Android licensee. ;)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2012/05/30/nvidias-kai-platform-makes-low-cost-android-tablets-a-reality/

An NVIDEA manager (Mike Rayfield) went further earlier this year, saying that 30 Tegra3 devices are currently in plans for release, with 15 of them expected at the sub-$200 level. 

• Reply 169 of 229
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have mom/dad/boss's credit card to go nuts at the Apple Store on the latest and greatest.  We have to buy according to our needs and see where Apple's products will provided real bang for the buck. I'll fully admit that I'd love to have all the latest and greatest Apple gear.  Unfortunately, even with my very near six-figure salary, I value money too much to make it an annual tradition of tossing it into disposable and rapidly depreciating electronics.  My rule for electronics is simple.  No purchase (Apple or otherwise) unless there's a clear usage case for it.  And it has to show real long term (as long term as disposable electronics are...) value (this is where Apple really does win a lot).

The cost of anything is depreciation, as you know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You prove my point more than you realize. iOS5 came out last October. It was 16 months after iOS4 and followed Apple's "new" (we hope) cycle for iPhone releases. Ice Cream Sandwich was actually released at the same time. Google has been moving at faster than a one year cycle. Jelly Bean is available pretty soon here and that will be far less than a year. Google is moving so fast that you are starting to actually complain that other entities not moving as fast or basically moving on Apple time are some how at fault. iOS is not being updated as well or as quickly. It feels like it is standing still in comparison. We are going to hope we luck out and only have to wait 12 months this time instead of 15-16 like last time. It isn't just the Touch that hasnt been updated. It is the entire iPod line that has not been updated in almost two years. 

There doesn't seem to be much in Jelly Bean, its a lot of catchup. In any case nobody is using it. Nobody is using the ice cream thing, the Nexus is an attempt to stop that rot. It may, or may not, work. If not their update strategy is ruined. 

Also, Apple's OS updates, once per year for mobiles, is incredibly fast. In the desktop space they are much faster than MS.

iOS5 was 16 months after iOS4 because of the new schedule for the iPhone, this year its back to 12 months.

To the main theme, these are incredibly impressive specs. Apple has to take a hit on margins and compete.

• Reply 170 of 229
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jetz wrote: »
    I'd consider going the other way personally.  I don't mind going to an iPhone.  But I have 3 conditions:

1) I'm not giving up my plan.  No phone or "user experience" is worth the increased burn rate on my cash flow.  Here in Canada, the majors have 3 year contracts too.  So it's $80 per month for 3 years + $200 for the latest iPhone.  Or I pay for my device, get unlimited everything with Wind and $40 per month.  Even after paying $600 for Galaxy Nexus, I'm still saving more than the iPhone-toting hipsters.  So for me, my network and plan is everything.  I'm not paying twice the bill for  the "experience".

So why would you have to pay more. Buy an iPhone on eBay for $600 and then use your unlimited Wind account.
    2) Screen size.  Sorry.  I thought the iPhone was too small when I had a Nexus One.  Now that I have a Galaxy Nexus, any screen less than 4 inches is unusable to me.

If that's your choice, then the iPhone isn't for you - at least not in its current size.
    3) Maps and Navigation.  I was excited to see Apple launch its own maps.  Now I'm hearing all kinds of fail rumours.  This sucks.  I use Google Maps regularly.  Particularly transit navigation.  I'd like to see Apple fix this.

Keep in mind that all of the fail rumors are from people who are using a pirated beta. And many of them appear to be fandroids with an axe to grind. Why not wait until there's a real product?
  • Reply 171 of 229
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Would fandroids have iPhones and dev accounts? 

• Reply 172 of 229
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Well this thing will sell with that CPU/Gpu at just $199. For the normal buyers the 8g without a ad slot will be the biggest negative. Such a powerfull device wtout space is a shame. For me no LTE, no rear camera and no SD with just 16-32g version makes it a no bur. I have 38g of Apps on my iCal no way I can live with less than 64g a shame because SD is such a killer feature of android.

The price is incredible for the CPU/Gpu but IMHO a rear camera and se slot would have make that the ultimate cheap tablet even if it had to cost 250$.

Still a ipad7" with 32-64g, retina and LTE will dominate the 7" market, and apple has to enter it because people that get tis tablet will upgrade in the future to a 10" android tablet.
  • Reply 173 of 229
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    One thing I like about jellybean is that you can updat apps with just the files that are upgraded instead of downloading the entire app. Apple needs to do this I hate having to update 1g+ apps for small fixes.

Android ecosystem is great and I can recommend there products on it but still is rules in e number of apps and quality. iPad apps are simply more beautiful and functional than android tablet apps. It's a fact but hopefully that will change...
  • Reply 174 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

:-) >

• Reply 175 of 229

Quote:

To the main theme, these are incredibly impressive specs. Apple has to take a hit on margins and compete.

I'm not sure that apple has any real need to do that.  They can continue to sell relatively few devices at relatively high prices and still make lots of money.  There's more than one way to fleece a sheep.

• Reply 176 of 229
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    'Jelly Bean' ugh! What an awful name. It does have a lot of sophisticated features but the UI is horrible.

Just wait until the next name that will start with 'K'. The only one that looks viable to me is Key Lime Pie.

• Kabuni
    • Kaiserschmarrn
    • Kalvdans
    • Kanafeh
    • Key lime pie
    • Khanom thuai
    • Kirschenmichel
    • Kissel
    • Kompot
    • Krentjebrij
    • Kugel
    • Kutia

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Desserts
  • Reply 177 of 229

Back in March TheVerge posted that would be the next version. Yeah, not many options other than KLP.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/4/2844126/android-key-lime-pie

• Reply 178 of 229
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Blunty explains why the Nexus 7 sucks

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 179 of 229
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Don't you think Google and MS employees have Apple developer accounts?

Further, any ideolog or paid shill can gain access to iOS prereleases for $99 per year.

• Reply 180 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So why would you have to pay more. Buy an iPhone on eBay for $600 and then use your unlimited Wind account.

If that's your choice, then the iPhone isn't for you - at least not in its current size.

Keep in mind that all of the fail rumors are from people who are using a pirated beta. And many of them appear to be fandroids with an axe to grind. Why not wait until there's a real product?

To start with, I'm actually pleasantly surprised that for once you can actually say something reasonable. 

To address your points.

1) My network runs on the AWS band only.  Since it was a new company, they don't have legacy bandwith that allows them to run 2G on another band. Etc. And all the other work arounds.  It's not known yet, whether the situation will improve with the next iPhone.  Wind's network is HSPA using the AWS band...basically the same as T-Mobile USA.  But if Apple leapfrogs with LTE on AWS then there'll be no iPhone for me.  Even if there were workarounds, I don't believe in degrading my service for the phone's "user experience".  No phone is worth the frustration of surfing on EDGE.  I don't get people that do that on T-Mobile.

2) Nope.  It's not for me, right now.  Fully accept that.  But I am sick of people defending Apple's stance on its sizing.  It should be clear to anybody by now that Apple's stance has very little to do with usability and more to do with the trouble it will have of getting all the devs to reprogram their apps for a different screen size thats' not a multiple of the iOS standard.  And I'm willing to bet that the original size had more to do with the supply chain than any serious usability issue. 

3) Sure.  But there's also common sense.  I find it difficult to believe that Apple will match Google's image set and POI dataset on its first go.  I'm not even saying that Apple has to catch up to Google for me to switch though.  I've always been more practical than that.  Heck, when I first got the Nexus One, Android was a whole different animal.  It's come a long way.  Just like Apple Maps will in a year or two.  With switching, my immediate concerns will be: does Apple's Maps have the information I need.  Namely...proper roads and transit information in my town (Toronto) or places I go often (Ottawa).  After seeing, how terrible Bing has been in Ottawa (years to pick up my condo and still no transit information), I'm not holding my breath.  But I'll be checking it out on the iPads on family members.  If it gets to the point I'm satisfied, then I'll consider this condition met.