Apple's next iPhone rumored with 8-pin dock connector, enhanced Bluetooth

Comments

• Reply 41 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    No, I'm wondering how it makes sense to you.

No, that's not what you asked.

Seemed fitting in response to an argument of nothing but guesses.

No... I think you've lost it.
  • Reply 42 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That's not what you asked.

No... I think you've lost it.

Edited for style

It's exactly what I asked.

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The 6th iPhone, running iOS 6 and having 4G telephony will be "iPhone 5". This makes sense to you? 

• Reply 43 of 163
    It's exactly what I asked.

Yes, it does. What I don't understand is why it couldn't make sense to you.
  • Reply 44 of 163
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Ok, but it's annoying to imagine that stuff that a minority of people use may be hindering the work they are doing in redesigning the pin.

Compare and Contrast: "Made for iPod" and "Plays for Sure."

The former (technically MFi, including iPhone and iPad) has been around for 10 years, and is still actively marketed. It has led to a level of "lock-in" with consumers unprecedented in the last 30 years; even the MiniDisc was available from multiple manufacturers.

The latter ran from 2004 to 2008 until Microsoft decided to put their weight behind Zune... While Apple may have an unbearable history of changing power and video connectors on their Macs, those devices have never been the mass-consumption devices like the iPod/iPhone/iPad. Adapters for the monstrosity of interfaces were always available in the past, at least to bridge a generation.

For me, it isn't that big of a deal if the dock changes. I have a Sonos dock, a couple bookshelf stereos, and a multi-charger dock, about 15 iPod cables of various generations, and two heart-rate monitors. The total value is around $700, but it doesn't just go away overnight-- all the iPods can still use the old ones. It will force me to buy about $200 in new accessories, but hey... that's life.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have more invested. The heart rate monitor would not be possible with a OTG USB connector without a much larger dongle. Say goodbye to a couple of those companies, and boy will their customers be pissed.
  • Reply 45 of 163

Apple originally had a large 30 pin connector to support firewire and USB. Samsung has never supported firewire. What is Samsung's reason for having a 30 pin connector? Did they just blindly copy the connect shape and pin outs?

• Reply 46 of 163

What I don't understand is why it couldn't make sense to you.

• Reply 47 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

The absolute number of pins is irrelevant.  The fact of a redesign is what makes money

So Apple has had the same future-forward connector design for 9 years, across 3 distinct product types, in a market with rapidly changing and evolving plugs (just look at USB) and the first thing you think of after nearly a decade of the same design is that Apple is doing it to force users to buy all new peripherals?
  • Reply 48 of 163
    Apple originally had a large 30 pin connector to support firewire and USB. Samsung has never supported firewire. What is Samsung's reason for having a 30 pin connector? Did they just blindly copy the connect shape and pin outs?

That's an excellent point. I wonder if Samsung has secretly been working on fire BlazeCable for their devices.
  • Reply 49 of 163

Quote:

Ok, but it's annoying to imagine that stuff that a minority of people use may be hindering the work they are doing in redesigning the pin.

I've thought about this a lot and I don't think it will be "the new iPhone". They had good reasons for calling the iPad 3 that way. I think this is going to be the iPhone 5.

To explain quickly, the new iPad was called like that because it looked just like an iPad 2. They couldn't call it the iPad 2S because speed wasn't the only change and they wanted people to focus on the new screen. They couldn't call it the iPad 3 because when turned off people would wonder what's the difference between the 2 and 3 (compared to the iPhone 3G/3GS or 4/4S where people assume that the change is internal thanks to the name). "The new iPad" has a lot of mystery in it, and people who assume that it just has a speed bump of the previous one are left wondering what's so new about it.

On the other hand, the next iPhone doesn't need that, and with his new form factor, will indeed be the iPhone 5, and Apple will sell lots of it.

Do you seriously think that the official product name of the current generation of iPad really is "The New iPad"?  No.  It's just "iPad".  The whole "The New" part was just an adjective they use to point out the fact that something had changed.

The next generation of mainstream iPad (as opposed to the rumoured miniature model) will also just be called "iPad" - and they will retroactively add a qualifier [such as iPad (Early 2012)] when they need to talk about to something that applies specifically to the previous model.

• Reply 50 of 163
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Quote:

The 6th iPhone, running iOS 6 and having 4G telephony will be "iPhone 5". Really. Really. This makes sense to you? 

My iPhone 4 is currently running iOS 5 and will soon be running iOS 6. Makes just as much sense. 

• Reply 51 of 163
    jakeb wrote: »
    My iPhone 4 is currently running iOS 5 and will soon be running iOS 6. Makes just as much sense. 

Are you suggesting that your iPhone 4 should be called an iPhone 5 because it's running IOS 5 and don't think the 6th generation iPhone should be called iPhone 5 because 5 comes after the number '4' and letter 'S'?
  • Reply 52 of 163

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

No, that has nothing to do with it. We're talking about how the device is sold at launch. The iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone, has an A4 chip and shipped with iOS 4. His "iPhone 5" will be the 6th iPhone, ship with iOS 6, have 4G telephony, and we don't know what the chip's going to be. There's nothing "5" about it.

• Reply 53 of 163

Quote:

• Reply 54 of 163
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timidir View Post

This has nothing to do with the dock connector.  I hope they are not "really" going to move the headphone jack to the bottom.  It just seems more logical and useful on top.  It is for me, anyway.

Me too.  If I'm walking with my iPhone in my pocket, rocking out to tunes w/ the headphones, my iPhone is sitting upright in my pocket.  If I then take it out, it's still upright.

I know it sounds like such a little thing, but the headphone jack on the bottom makes no sense to me at all.

• Reply 55 of 163

Quote:

The 6th iPhone, running iOS 6 and having 4G telephony will be "iPhone 5". Really. Really. This makes sense to you? 

It's either going to be iPhone 5, or (more likely) just "the new iPhone". iPhone 6 sounds totally silly and confusing because there hasn't been an iPhone 5 yet.

• Reply 56 of 163

See, that's the Tim Cook version of my 'not sure if serious'. I knew I should have posted that instead.

Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

It's either going to be iPhone 5…

If Apple wants to tell us they're doing what they did in '85, sure.

iPhone 6 sounds totally silly and confusing because there hasn't been an iPhone 5 yet.

WHERE'S THE IPHONE 2?! WHERE'S THE IPHONE 2?! WHERE'S THE IPHONE 2?!

You can't seriously think this is an actual argument. I agree that it won't be 6 anymore, but still, man.

• Reply 57 of 163

Quote:

See, that's the Tim Cook version of my 'not sure if serious'. I knew I should have posted that instead.

I'm sure you keep a lot of those on your mac, it's easy to use them when you've got no argument to give.

• Reply 58 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why are 8 pins instead of 7 or 9 or 19 pins better for Apple to license? Why do the pin numbers matter at all over the design oft the connector itself?

The dock connector needs to be able to support USB data transfer in both directions (5 pins?), power (3 pins?), line-out audio (5 pins?), video-out (1 pin?) for a total of at least 14 pins?

Power = 2 pins. You just need +5V DC and ground. Another 2 pins for the USB data. So maybe they'll make the cable reversible and just drop all the other stuff ... for audio, you have the regular headphone socket (now conveniently moved to the bottom), and for video, AirPlay.

• Reply 59 of 163

Quote:

There's nothing "5" about it.

Except that the current line is the 4 series, making the next series 5?   Naw, that is what everybody and their brother is thinking.  Couldn't even be possible.

However, if the current design rumors are accurate, it might be continued in the 4 series, perhaps as the 4G?  

Maybe the 4E for "extended" screen?

• Reply 60 of 163

Except that the current line is the 4 series, making the next series 5?   Naw, that is what everybody and their brother is thinking.  Couldn't even be possible.

So the 3rd distinct casing design is the 4th series to you? How hard is to see that there was no iPhone 2?