Apple's next iPhone rumored with 8-pin dock connector, enhanced Bluetooth

Comments

• Reply 61 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm sure you keep a lot of those on your mac, it's easy to use them when you've got no argument to give.

*shrug* I await an answer to my question. I think I'll be waiting for centuries.

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Except that the current line is the 4 series, making the next series 5?

Connie, get over yourself.

Oh, and since no one seems to remember the entire world has been wrong before about the name of the next iPhone… 

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/summary-what-we-know-about-iphone-2/

http://techcrunch.com/2008/05/14/will-iphone-2-get-intels-atom-ja/

http://theilife.com/2008/05/second-generation-3g-iphone-2-update-gps-and-more-wwdc-2008/

http://www.sebastienpage.com/2008/04/25/iphone-2-3g-and-gps-but-thicker/

And everyone just shut up and started calling it by its real name when the iPhone 3G was announced. 

• Reply 62 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Compare and Contrast: "Made for iPod" and "Plays for Sure."

The former (technically MFi, including iPhone and iPad) has been around for 10 years, and is still actively marketed. It has led to a level of "lock-in" with consumers unprecedented in the last 30 years; even the MiniDisc was available from multiple manufacturers.

The latter ran from 2004 to 2008 until Microsoft decided to put their weight behind Zune... While Apple may have an unbearable history of changing power and video connectors on their Macs, those devices have never been the mass-consumption devices like the iPod/iPhone/iPad. Adapters for the monstrosity of interfaces were always available in the past, at least to bridge a generation.

For me, it isn't that big of a deal if the dock changes. I have a Sonos dock, a couple bookshelf stereos, and a multi-charger dock, about 15 iPod cables of various generations, and two heart-rate monitors. The total value is around $700, but it doesn't just go away overnight-- all the iPods can still use the old ones. It will force me to buy about $200 in new accessories, but hey... that's life.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have more invested. The heart rate monitor would not be possible with a OTG USB connector without a much larger dongle. Say goodbye to a couple of those companies, and boy will their customers be pissed.

I said that because I don't know precisely what each pin is for but 19 seems a bit much to me. If their's one for accessories, fine. I hope there is not one for cars, another for heart beat sensors... etc... And as I said, heart beat sensors for example are still used by a minority of people.

• Reply 63 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHERE'S THE IPHONE 2?! WHERE'S THE IPHONE 2?! WHERE'S THE IPHONE 2?!

You can't seriously think this is an actual argument. I agree that it won't be 6 anymore, but still, man.

That argues in favor of the iPhone 4G.  Apple doesn't give a shit about the generation number, if they can advertise a major feature in the name itself.

The new iPhone 4G.  The fastest iPhone ever.

• Reply 64 of 163
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Good questions!
    gazoobee wrote: »
    If it's only going to have 8 pins ...

1) why not just use USB3?
    Most likely because they need additional functionality!

I'm not sure I believe this rumor at all. The port almost has to support USB of one flavor or another somthat is four pins right there. Then you need analog audio in and out which I can't see them getting by without,that would basically take another 4 pins in the simplest arrangement which leaves room for nothing else.

While I can see Apple dropping some of the older functionality, I can't see them ignoring future functionality either. In this case I'm talking Thunderbolt.

So if you take everything here together it causes me to question these reports.

2) where are the other ports going to be located that take over all the missing functions?

I would suspect many functions will be dropped especially video out. Apples WiFi technology is improving or actually pretty stable so things like Air Play can take over that load. If they went the Thunderbolt route video could be handled over that. The interesting question here is what is the minimal number of connections needed to support TB.

Right now 8 pins just seems unlikely considering current needs though 8 pins in such a small connector would likely be far more reliable than 19. "Pins" are extremely small in such connectors. The concept of pins though might go out the window with a MagSafe type connector.
  • Reply 65 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Power = 2 pins. You just need +5V DC and ground. Another 2 pins for the USB data. So maybe they'll make the cable reversible and just drop all the other stuff ... for audio, you have the regular headphone socket (now conveniently moved to the bottom), and for video, AirPlay.

You're missing quite a few pins, like ground and power, and severely limiting Apple's future options by making any peripheal that needs audio require the dock to be large enough to include the headphone jack, require that the headphone jack stay the same, and require that the hedphone jack be at the bottom and be the exact same distinct from the iDevice dock connector.
  • Reply 66 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So the 3rd distinct casing design is the 4th series to you? How hard is to see that there was no iPhone 2?

Not the 4th series, the 4 series.

As in the iPhone 4, followed by the iPhone 4S.

Preceeded by the 3 series, as in the 3G followed by the 3GS.

The new iPhone may be the iPhone 4G if Apple wants to hang onto the series 4 aesthetic for another year.

• Reply 67 of 163

That argues in favor of the iPhone 4G.

G comes before S.
  • Reply 68 of 163
    *shrug* I await an answer to my question. I think I'll be waiting for centuries.

Connie, get over yourself.

Oh, and since no one seems to remember the entire world has been wrong before about the name of the next iPhone… 

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/summary-what-we-know-about-iphone-2/
    http://techcrunch.com/2008/05/14/will-iphone-2-get-intels-atom-ja/
    http://theilife.com/2008/05/second-generation-3g-iphone-2-update-gps-and-more-wwdc-2008/
    http://www.sebastienpage.com/2008/04/25/iphone-2-3g-and-gps-but-thicker/

And everyone just shut up and started calling it by its real name when the iPhone 3G was announced. 

At least calling the 2nd generation iPhone the iPhone 2 made sense.
  • Reply 69 of 163

Quote:

You're missing quite a few pins, like ground and power, and severely limiting Apple's future options by making any peripheal that needs audio require the dock to be large enough to include the headphone jack, require that the headphone jack stay the same, and require that the hedphone jack be at the bottom and be the exact same distinct from the iDevice dock connector.

All true.  

But also consider that all licensed cables and connectors and docks and such could be required to cover the headphone jack, whether it is used or not for the particular application.  That way, people could not just plug the headphone jack into some unauthorized accessory while charging.  People would be MUCH more likely to buy the authorized accessories, yielding licensing revenue for Apple.

The Apple cable supplied with the unit is likely to cover the headphone jack and to terminate in a USB plug.  

• Reply 70 of 163

Not the 4[SIZE=14px][SIZE=16px]th [/SIZE]series, the 4 series.[/SIZE]

<span style="font-size:14.285714149475098px;line-height:9.714285850524902px;">As in the iPhone 4, followed by the iPhone 4S.</span>

<span style="font-size:14.285714149475098px;line-height:9.714285850524902px;">Preceeded by the 3 series, as in the 3G followed by the 3GS.</span>

<span style="font-size:14.285714149475098px;line-height:9.714285850524902px;">The new iPhone may be the iPhone 4G if Apple wants to hang onto the series 4 aesthetic for another year.</span>

This isn't rocket science. The 2nd gen iPhone was called iPhone 3G because it had 3G cellular tech in it. The iPhone 4 was named because it was the 4th gen iPhone. The 3GS and 4S we named because they had the same the casing as the previous model.

To follow Apple's pattern the next one will be named for some generation that is used in the 6th gen iPhone. It'll be the 4th casing and likely have 4G LTE but you aren't claiming it'll be called the iPhone 4. In fact, the only thing it doesn't have is any 5th gen association which means calling it the iPhone 5 is more irrational thing to call it based on it's history. That said, it's just a name and if being irrational so buyer like you won't get confused then they should call it whatever works best for their bottom line.
  • Reply 71 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

G comes before S.

Irrelevant.  That makes no difference.

People are clamoring for 4G.  Would the iPhone 4G satisfy their desire?  Is there any question in a customer's mind when he hears the name?

Yeah, I got the iPhone 4G.  Yep.  The fast one.  It's got the 4 inch screen too!  Its the best iPhone 4 ever!

• Reply 72 of 163

The 3GS and 4S we named because they had the same the casing as the previous model.

Based on these leaked images and that logic, people should really be calling it the "iPhone 4S2". And then the next one's "iPhone 4S3" if it keeps the same case and "iPhone 7" if it doesn't.

The continued talk of "iPhone 5" is the media's way of acting like a 15 month old that is sulking because it didn't get what it thought it wanted. 

• Reply 73 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

That argues in favor of the iPhone 4G.  Apple doesn't give a shit about the generation number, if they can advertise a major feature in the name itself.

The new iPhone 4G.  The fastest iPhone ever.

Seeing that some iPhones 4S already display 4G on the top bar, I don't think it will be the case. AT&T wouldn't be very please about this and lots of people would wonder why the 4S was marketed as 4G already. 

I don't think it will be 4Something either since it seems that a redesign is going to take place, so it's not part of the 4 series (as someone else said).

• Reply 74 of 163

Quote:

Missing pins? These are all you need:

pin 1: +5V DC

pin 2: USB data +

pin 3: USB data -

pin 4: GROUND

(not necessarily in that order)

Then pin 5-8 are the same in reverse, making a reversible connector.

This does beg the question, though, if its a Mac-style reversible magsafe connector, they would only need 7 pins, since the middle pin doesn't need to be reversed. It's not like Apple to use 8 pins when they could get away with 7...

If it were actually *9* pins, then you could add the audio line out as well.

• Reply 75 of 163
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    What am I missing here?

Why wouldn't Apple go with something like Thunderbolt or USB 3?

Why do they need to have discrete pins for each signal?

Just make the adapter "smart" and split the signals out any way you like. At least it justifies charging $30 for a tiny chunk of plastic.

Doesn't that make more sense than yet another proprietary connector that ties the device to hardware (especially given the EU requirements), when it is painfully obvious Apple is moving toward wireless connectivity anyway? I can't tell you the last time I plugged my iPhone in for anything other than charging it. I stream music and video via AirPlay, I backup and synch via wifi, Make phone calls and Facetime via Bluetooth, and share pictures and documents via iCloud. What else is there?
  • Reply 76 of 163

Quote:

To follow Apple's pattern

There is no pattern.

likely have 4G LTE but you aren't claiming it'll be called the iPhone 4.

There  has already been an iPhone 4.  Of course that will not be its name.

If there has been any pattern whatsoever, it is that when Apple keeps the same basic appearance, it also keeps the same number.  

3G to 3GS.  4 to 4S.

And if Apple really does release the new iPhone as a stretched iPhone 4, with 4G as the main enhancement and selling point, then calling it the iPhone 4G seems like something Apple might do.

Clearly there is a precedent BOTH for Apple putting the radio tech in the product name, and for eschewing the "generation" in the numerical portion of the product name.  There is a third precedent, which is that they keep the same number when they keep the same basic aesthetic.

Then again, it could be the iPhone 5.

This is marketing.  And Apple knows how to market much better than me and you put together.

• Reply 77 of 163
    Missing pins? These are all you need:

pin 1: +5V DC
    pin 2: USB data +
    pin 3: USB data -
    pin 4: GROUND

(not <span style="font-family:Arial;line-height:normal;">necessarily</span>
     in that order)

Then pin 5-8 are the same in reverse, making a reversible connector.

This does beg the question, though, if its a Mac-style reversible magsafe connector, they would only need 7 pins, since the middle pin doesn't need to be reversed. It's not like Apple to use 8 pins when they could get away with 7...

If it were actually *9* pins, then you could add the audio line out as well.

1) You've only accounted for USB2. What happened to everything else? Somehow we've gone from removing the long obsolete FW pins to removing everything but the most basic USB pins with no room for growth or a thriving peripheral market. That doesn't ring true to me.

2) I dont get this desire for MagSafe on an small, pocketable device. There are a lot of reasons it's simply bad. You can even look at the same of MagSafe and MagSafe2 and note that is just power, not data and it's quite large due to the magnets. And that's before you have to deal with any of the other issues I mentioned.
  • Reply 78 of 163
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

It's either going to be iPhone 5, or (more likely) just "the new iPhone". iPhone 6 sounds totally silly and confusing because there hasn't been an iPhone 5 yet.

Not picking on you in particular, but to those who think it will be called "the new iPhone," ...  

... how does this make any sense at all when they are selling multiple different models of the iPhone from multiple years at the same time?

Why for instance would they do this for the next iPhone, but then switch back to version numbers next time?  And if they don't (switch back), how are they going to sell multiple versions of the iPhone at the same time if they are all called "the new iPhone?"  I would argue that as long as they are selling multiple versions from multiple years, that they need some kind of term to delineate which model is which, especially when you consider the very similar industrial designs of each model.  If the iPhone 4 and 4s had both been introduced as "the new iPhone" when new, how would they sell them now when there are few visible differences between them?  

IMO, it's more likely that they adopt the same thing Microsoft does for their crappy OS, i.e.- "years" instead of version numbers, like "the 2012 iPhone" or "iPhone (2012 edition)" or some such.  That way they could force the stupid media to stop making up their own stupid terms like "3G", "4G" etc., and confusing everything.  

• Reply 79 of 163
    There is no pattern.

Yes, there is, and it was made quite clear why the 2nd gen iPhone was called 3G and why the 4th gen iPhone was labeled with a 4, and why the subsequent models of that same casing had an 'S appended. This is all rudimentary stuff.
  • Reply 80 of 163
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Not picking on you in particular, but to those who think it will be called "the new iPhone," ...  

... how does this make any sense at all when they are selling multiple different models of the iPhone from multiple years at the same time?

It certainly gets tricky but they are doing it now with the iPad. With the Macs it wasn't too much of an issue because the old Macs stopped being sold except on their Refurbished Store. Still, they kept the same casing for so long with Macs that you do have to do some digging to find out when it was released.

I think the year qualifier will probably be adopted even if unofficially. It does make it easier and clearly their current naming scheme isn't working if people think the iPhone 4 was named not because it was the 4th gen iPhone but because 4 comes after 3+G+S.

Note the 3rd gen iPad isn't called The New iPad for all time. They aren't going to name the 4th gen iPad The Newer iPad. It's like Yesterday and Tomorrow, they are relative term, and we seem to do well with those. The problem comes when trying to get an idea of what model is being used which is more an issue for tech support than anything else.