Apple's next iPhone rumored with 8-pin dock connector, enhanced Bluetooth

Comments

• Reply 121 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Seriously? You aren't aware that it's 4G in name to refer to HSPA+? It's a designation started by T-Mobile USA that AT&T railed against and thhen adopted because there is no legal definition of a cardinal number followed by a letter for cellular tech. 

Nope.  Never had occasion to pay much attention to who is using what name.  Next time around, that will be a factor however.

• Reply 122 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bilbo63 wrote: »
    You bring up a good point about keys and other items sticking to your phone however this may not be a problem if the magnet is only on the plug and not on the phone itself.

That's a good answer. Is that how the MagSafe works or does it use two magnets to make the connection more secure? How does it affect costs to have one connector that is very strong so it can connect to a ferrous material? How does this electromagnetic field affect the data transfer over the cooper wires and the components near the where the magnet connects to on the device?

Besides thinking it's just pointless to keep a 5oz object with a 2' cord from being tripped over, I think the only way we're going to get data over the current MagSafe design is from an optical cable. This would be beneficial for the Apple Light Peak Display where the optical path would supply all the data needed for the display's ports, including it's built in GPU for when it goes Retina. I think that is more realistic (Apple even has a patent for such a thing) and yet I think that is still a long ways off.
  • Reply 123 of 163
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's nothing "5" about it.

Quote:

My argument that the next iPhone is going to be called "the new iPhone" holds no water?

Ooooooookay!

Your argument was that there was nothing "5" about the new iPhone.  There was nothing "4S" about the 4S. The New iPhone could be the 5, the 6, the 4G, or the New.  No one knows and to pretend you do know or that someone else doesnt know, just proves your ignorance.  You can guess what it is- but dont tell someone else there's no way- because iPhone naming has been anything but convention.

The bottom line is you don't name the iPhones... and that's why you don't work at Apple.

Quote:

1) Calling someone a fool is a violation. Stating their comment is foolish is not.

2) The 4S had the same design as the 4, which got its name from being the 4th gen iPhone, and followed the 'S' addition to the name like the 3GS over the 3G, the 2nd gen iPhone. The only 2 common factors have been that the 2nd model based off the same casing gets the 'S' appellation and that they have used a number for the first model in the series that subscribe to a distinct HW generation. Where is the 5th HW generation? I see everything but the number 5.

1) Sorry- typo.  I meant to call him a tool.  Or a stool.  Sorry to anyone who thought I said fool.

2) Because everyone is calling it a 5.  Not that Apple listens to the masses, but 90% of the frau and typical guys in my office constantly say that "The iPhone 5 is supposed to have xyz".  So it is spoken of as if it already happened- much like the iPad 3- which 100% of the people thought it would be called-  Then they go and call it the new iPad.  No one knows.  But it could have easily been called the iPad 3.  Just like iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, go in sucession, they could make an iPhone 5, then 5S- or whatever.  Do I think it will be the 5? No.  But to say emphatically (and like TS- insultingly) it won't be, proves ignorance because Apple is anything but predictable.

• Reply 124 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

There was nothing "4S" about the 4S.

4S: Same design as the 4, but faster.

3GS: Same design as the 3G, but faster.

Stumper, that one.

No one knows and to pretend you do know or that someone else doesnt know, just proves your ignorance.

You're right; Apple could prove us all wrong, be idiots, and call their 6th phone "5".

• Reply 125 of 163
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

The 6th iPhone, running iOS 6 and having 4G telephony will be "iPhone 5". Really. Really. This makes sense to you? 

I'm guessing they will start naming the new versions after wild dogs. I think that makes as much sense as calling it iPhone 6. What difference does it make? He was simply stating an opinion, just like you, but in a more polite manner.

• Reply 126 of 163

Quote:

You're right; Apple could prove us all wrong, be idiots, and call their 6th phone "5".

You're right; Apple could prove us all wrong, be idiots, and call their 2nd iPhone "3G".

You're right; Apple could prove us all wrong, be idiots, and call their 5th iPhone "4S".

Stumper, that one.

• Reply 127 of 163

You're right; Apple could prove us all wrong, be idiots, and call their 2nd iPhone "3G".

You're right; Apple could prove us all wrong, be idiots, and call their 5th iPhone "4S".

Both of which, unlike "5", were tied to the phone in some way. At least one way. At all. In any capacity. 

• Reply 128 of 163

Quote:

Both of which, unlike "5", were tied to the phone in some way. At least one way. At all. In any capacity. 

Again- if I had to bet, I wouldn't bet it would be called the 5.  But I also wouldn't go put my foot in my mouth and claim it won't be.

Example: Fill in the blank.

3, 4, _

• Reply 129 of 163

Fill in the blank.

3, 4, _

Fill in the blank. 1, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, _

• Reply 130 of 163

Quote:

Fill in the blank. 1, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, _

A) 5

B) 6

C) 4G

D) The New iPhone

E) None of the above

None of those answers would surprise me.

• Reply 131 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    A) 5
    B) 6
    C) 4G
    D) The New iPhone
    E) None of the above

None of those answers would surprise me.

None of the answers would surprise me either. As I've stated in previous threads they could bend to the populace but that is marketing. If you go solely on historical naming for the iPhone the 5 moniker simply makes the least sense of all the names. I think just iPhone as The new iPhone, then iPhone 4G make the most sense with iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 in the rear with none of the above somewhere in the middle.

PS: They can call it the ZunePhon #LOL S III Droid MAXX Mini +1 Elite for all I care. If it's the best option for my needs then I'll buy it. If I bought Apple products based on names I'd nave bought an iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac, PowerBook, or MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 132 of 163

Quote:

That's a good answer. Is that how the MagSafe works or does it use two magnets to make the connection more secure? How does it affect costs to have one connector that is very strong so it can connect to a ferrous material? How does this electromagnetic field affect the data transfer over the cooper wires and the components near the where the magnet connects to on the device?

Besides thinking it's just pointless to keep a 5oz object with a 2' cord from being tripped over, I think the only way we're going to get data over the current MagSafe design is from an optical cable. This would be beneficial for the Apple Light Peak Display where the optical path would supply all the data needed for the display's ports, including it's built in GPU for when it goes Retina. I think that is more realistic (Apple even has a patent for such a thing) and yet I think that is still a long ways off.

On the Mac, the magnets are in the Mac, not the cable. This is also true of iPads, where the smart cover magnets are inside the iPad itself. That doesn't mean Apple couldn't reverse this arrangement for the new dock connector, though.

Magnets would have no effect on data transfer.

I don't think Apple are going to bother with putting display data over the dock connector any more. How often do you feel the need to plug your phone into a TV? It's all about AirPlay now.

• Reply 133 of 163

I think Magsafe would be a good idea. As someone mentioned, you don't need to have the magnets on the iPhone itself so no worries about your phone collecting "junk". But here's a few other things to consider:

- The exposed pins on the iPhone would just be flush mounted flat contacts. There's no need for anything to stick out - the contacts on the connector end would have the actual "pins".

- Pins can have more than one function. There's no rule anywhere that says you need a 1:1 relationship between pins and features.

- A Hall effect sensor in the iPhone. When it detects the magnets in the Magsafe, all the pins become enabled. This way the exposed pins will never have any power or signals on them when the Magsafe isn't atached.

- A pattern recognition Magsafe. With multiple Hall sensors and magnets in different orientations the iPhone could recognize which adaptor is connected and configure the pins appropriately. So your USB cable would work differently than a video cable.

- Heck, why even bother with pattern recognition? It should be easy to scan the pins to see if there's any signals (like USB data) and configure accordingly.

- Electromagnets in the base of the iPhone. The Magsafe has a weak field that's just strong enough to attach the Magsafe, and when the iPhone realizes it's connected (and there's power available) the electromagnet comes on greatly increasing the strength of the field and keeping them held together firmly. Now this goes against the Magsafe idea of a cord coming off if you trip, but I'm thinking more of docks where you'd want you device firmly seated. You could have a 30 pin to Magsafe adaptor that you'd insert into your dock and it would allow you to easily keep using all your old accessories.

- One less way for water to get into the iPhone.

- Magsafe headphones? Why not? Easy to connect and yet another way to prevent water getting into your phone. To maintain compatibility, a small Magsafe to 1/8" adaptor would allow you to use other headphones.

It's really not that hard to come up with a bunch of things Apple may do, and I'm sure they've thought of these (and dozens more).

• Reply 134 of 163

Quote:

Has Apple ever coincided the generation of their phone with the name?  Other than once, with the iPhone 4?  It seems that in general, the generation number has nothing to do with the name picked by the marketing folks. 

Maybe they'll can the numbers this time around?  Maybe the iPhone LTE?

• Reply 135 of 163

Quote:

Example: Fill in the blank.

3, 4, _

4S, 4G LTE, 5, 5S and THEN the iPhone 6.  Mark my words.

• Reply 136 of 163

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Maybe the iPhone LTE?

They didn't call the iPhone 3G the "iPhone HSPA". 

• Reply 137 of 163
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Maybe they'll can the numbers this time around?  Maybe the iPhone LTE?

The LTE might get them into hot water again in other countries.

I am still wondering what chip and frequencies they will support this time around to make a true 'World Phone".

• Reply 138 of 163
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Is that supposed to be a joke? You are really mistaking your role here. I suggest you give me an answer or I'll make everything to take down your website in France. I'm not kidding, I fell insulted by that post and I want you to do something about it.

If not, I want you to remove ALL my posts on this forum. No compliance to do so would go against French law that says that I'm the owner of my posts and I don't care if you are in the US, I WILL take down your website here. And yes, that's a menace.

Don't play with me. You can ban me, but I'll still ask for the removal of all my posts. Not just my name, all my posts have to have all their content erased. If you don't believe me look that up, ok?

EU sucks, I know... :P

Welcome to the Interwebs. You don't "own" your posts.  Once you hit "Submit" they are in the public domain.

But don't let that keep from your little tantrum.

• Reply 139 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Is

260 King St Suite 1205 San Francisco CA US 94107

a valid adress for an AR ?

• Reply 140 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Welcome to the Interwebs. You don't "own" your posts.  Once you hit "Submit" they are in the public domain.

But don't let that keep from your little tantrum.

Sorry pal, that's not how it works in europe.