Comments

• Reply 141 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Is

260 King St Suite 1205 San Francisco CA US 94107

a valid adress for an AR ?

You tell me. 

And then tell me what an "AR" is supposed to be.

• Reply 142 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They didn't call the iPhone 3G the "iPhone HSPA". 

True.  But the possibilities seem truly endless, eh?  

• Reply 143 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The LTE might get them into hot water again in other countries.

I am still wondering what chip and frequencies they will support this time around to make a true 'World Phone".

Yeah - once burned, twice shy and all that.  :)

Maybe the iPhone 4 WorldPhone*?

*The word "WorldPhone" and/or the individual words "World" and/or "Phone" in any combination or order may or may not be the trade and/or service mark and/or property of Apple Inc., and no ownership rights, expressed or implied, are to be attributed to any other party, living or dead.

• Reply 144 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Following the article 38 of the french law « informatique et libertés » of january 6th 1978 modified, I ask you to remove my user name and all the content of my posts and take the steps necessary so that those contents do not appear on search engines.

I'll send you an AR and after reception you'll have two months to comply (article 94 of decreet of October 20th 2005 taken for the application of the law of january 6th 1978 modified).

After that time, you'll be breaking the french law. 
  • Reply 145 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Magnets would have no effect on data transfer.

Care to rephrase that?
  • Reply 146 of 163

Following the article 38 of the french law « informatique et libertés » of january 6th 1978 modified, I ask you to remove my user name and all the content of my posts and take the steps necessary so that those contents do not appear on search engines.

I'll send you an AR and after reception you'll have two months to comply (article 94 of decreet of October 20th 2005 taken for the application of the law of january 6th 1978 modified).

PM Kasper with this nonsense, don't keep crapping up a thread. Also, we don't delete users, so good luck with that.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Care to rephrase that?

What we really need is one of those magnet wraps for our cables! Get one of those and it will line up all the bytes instead of them going through the cable willy-nilly. With the bytes lined up, the data will flow through faster.

• Reply 147 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think Magsafe would be a good idea. As someone mentioned, you don't need to have the magnets on the iPhone itself so no worries about your phone collecting "junk". But here's a few other things to consider:

- The exposed pins on the iPhone would just be flush mounted flat contacts. There's no need for anything to stick out - the contacts on the connector end would have the actual "pins".
    - Pins can have more than one function. There's no rule anywhere that says you need a 1:1 relationship between pins and features.
    - A Hall effect sensor in the iPhone. When it detects the magnets in the Magsafe, all the pins become enabled. This way the exposed pins will never have any power or signals on them when the Magsafe isn't atached.
    - A pattern recognition Magsafe. With multiple Hall sensors and magnets in different orientations the iPhone could recognize which adaptor is connected and configure the pins appropriately. So your USB cable would work differently than a video cable.
    - Heck, why even bother with pattern recognition? It should be easy to scan the pins to see if there's any signals (like USB data) and configure accordingly.
    - Electromagnets in the base of the iPhone. The Magsafe has a weak field that's just strong enough to attach the Magsafe, and when the iPhone realizes it's connected (and there's power available) the electromagnet comes on greatly increasing the strength of the field and keeping them held together firmly. Now this goes against the Magsafe idea of a cord coming off if you trip, but I'm thinking more of docks where you'd want you device firmly seated. You could have a 30 pin to Magsafe adaptor that you'd insert into your dock and it would allow you to easily keep using all your old accessories.
    - One less way for water to get into the iPhone.
    - Magsafe headphones? Why not? Easy to connect and yet another way to prevent water getting into your phone. To maintain compatibility, a small Magsafe to 1/8" adaptor would allow you to use other headphones.

It's really not that hard to come up with a bunch of things Apple may do, and I'm sure they've thought of these (and dozens more).

That's what I'm talking about! Excellent brainstorming although I still don't see any acknowledgment of what was a magnet (now an electromagnet) next to cooper wires. Adequate shielding is really the only answer but that adds cost (on top of this electromagnet) and could easily make the cable thick and unattractive, not to mention the connector. I also disagree with several of your points from a logistical standpoint of the product being produced but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
  • Reply 148 of 163
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

One of the problems of embedding non-identifier data within entity identifiers is the confusion it causes people who learn to expect it.

• Reply 149 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Care to rephrase that?

Here's an experiment you can try. Fun with magnets.

Go get the strongest magnet you can find - maybe one of those real earth magnets. If you have a good one, it'll be much more powerful than a magsafe magnet.

Now go get a USB cable, and hook it up to an external HDD or something (though, maybe don't get the magnet too close to the HDD! :).

Now put the magnet against the cable, or even right against the connector. Is the USB cable or connector attracted to the magnet? No. Does it slow down the data transfer? Didn't think so.

• Reply 150 of 163
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Sorry pal, that's not how it works in europe.

You may be in Europe, but we're not.  If you don't like it, maybe you could restrict your tantrums to EU-based web servers?  LOL!

• Reply 151 of 163
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Funny how looking at pics of the new iphone didn't inspire me to buy one.  But after seeing a video of the iphone with someone handling it, you notice the size difference and I now think its great.  I will upgrade.

• Reply 152 of 163

No matter what the new connector looks like, Samsung will have a new one that looks nearly identical shortly after. Including an adapter from the 30-pin copycat connector to the new X-pin copycat connector.

• Reply 153 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Fill in the blank. 1, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, _

5!

Quote:

Sorry pal, that's not how it works in europe.

Pretty sure it is. Do YouTube delete anonymous or pseudonymous comments? I know that an Irish site I register with and mod on won't, and can't. You've probably agreed to publish here, by law, as a "journalist" or mini-blogger on a hosted service. Your privacy rights, such as they are, pertain to your personal data. In Europe the admins here would have to remove all backend data about you - the real you - were you to leave but not remove any posts which are, after all, published pseudonymously. They would stay, or else there would be a major hole in threads. In any case I can quote you when you publish on this thread, so you would have no control over that, even if European law allowed for the deleting of posts. People effectively lose the right to privacy when they post stuff publicly  online. Here, it is merely your pseudonym which loses the privacy right. 

Lastly, whatever the French think, European law does not apply to websites which are hosted outside Europe. Not that that matters.
  • Reply 154 of 163
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You may be in Europe, but we're not.  If you don't like it, maybe you could restrict your tantrums to EU-based web servers?  LOL!

Yeah, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since TS has a way of tersely offending people who merely express a far from unreasonable opinion. That was until he went off on the rant of 'bringing the website down' and invoking French law for his defense. Jeez dude, you need to get some thicker skin. I haven't looked for it but they sell everything online these days. Perhaps they have some skin thickener products over at Amazon.

• Reply 155 of 163

Quote:

Watch out, we've got another badass over here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's what I'm talking about! Excellent brainstorming although I still don't see any acknowledgment of what was a magnet (now an electromagnet) next to cooper wires. Adequate shielding is really the only answer but that adds cost (on top of this electromagnet) and could easily make the cable thick and unattractive, not to mention the connector. I also disagree with several of your points from a logistical standpoint of the product being produced but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

A magnet next to wires won't cause any problems with data transfer or interference with data.  Try it at home and you'll see - take a very strong magnet and wave it over a USB cable while you're transferring data and see what happens. I guarantee you nothing will happen. Or connect your iPhone with a 1/8" cable and play some soft music while waving your magnet to see if you can hear anything - you won't. If you could wave that magnet very fast (as in hundreds or thousands of times a second) you might be able to induce some noise in audio lines. But not in the digitial lines.

As to data, USB (along with most signal transfer methods) is "differential". By its very nature, differential pairs of wires are naturally immune to external electromagnetic interference (maybe not immune, but highly resistant). Add to this that it's digitil data of 1's and 0's and if becomes very difficult to somehow corrupt the data.

As to logistics - there have been some big advances in sensors in recent years so I think with existing technology it would be possible (but probably not required).

• Reply 156 of 163

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Watch out, we've got another badass over here.

I use this, to great effect.

• Reply 157 of 163
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Yeah, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since TS has a way of tersely offending people who merely express a far from unreasonable opinion. That was until he went off on the rant of 'bringing the website down' and invoking French law for his defense. Jeez dude, you need to get some thicker skin. I haven't looked for it but they sell everything online these days. Perhaps they have some skin thickener products over at Amazon.

• Reply 158 of 163
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I use this, to great effect.

I can see you are proud of your accomplishments. You sow discord among the membership and then gloat of your victories.

• Reply 159 of 163

I can see you are proud of your accomplishments. You sow discord among the membership and then gloat of your victories.

Yep.

• Reply 160 of 163
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This would be especially great for the iPad. That said, it's still only 5W with the wall unit and it does mean a hotter unit and parts that wear faster so I'm guessing that simply isn't feasible.

Nitpicking here: iPad adapter = 10W