Apple's next iPhone rumored with 8-pin dock connector, enhanced Bluetooth

Comments

• Reply 81 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not picking on you in particular, but to those who think it will be called "the new iPhone," ...  

... how does this make any sense at all when they are selling multiple different models of the iPhone from multiple years at the same time?

Why for instance would they do this for the next iPhone, but then switch back to version numbers next time?  And if they don't (switch back), how are they going to sell multiple versions of the iPhone at the same time if they are all called "the new iPhone?"  I would argue that as long as they are selling multiple versions from multiple years, that they need some kind of term to delineate which model is which, especially when you consider the very similar industrial designs of each model.  If the iPhone 4 and 4s had both been introduced as "the new iPhone" when new, how would they sell them now when there are few visible differences between them?  

IMO, it's more likely that they adopt the same thing Microsoft does for their crappy OS, i.e.- "years" instead of version numbers, like "the 2012 iPhone" or "iPhone (2012 edition)" or some such.  That way they could force the stupid media to stop making up their own stupid terms like "3G", "4G" etc., and confusing everything.  

Oh yeah, I'd thought about this too. It's actually the biggest argument in favor of something else than The New iPhone. It totally dismisses the idea imo.

It's not like the iPad that was completely replaced by the iPad 2 and the same with the new iPad. They are treating iPads like they treat computers. There's no iMac 2, 3 every year, just an update. It doesn't work like this with phones, and there'll always be a market for last gen phones. iPhone 5 !!!

• Reply 82 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) You've only accounted for USB2. What happened to everything else? Somehow we've gone from removing the long obsolete FW pins to removing everything but the most basic USB pins with no room for growth or a thriving peripheral market. That doesn't ring true to me.

2) I dont get this desire for MagSafe on an small, pocketable device. There are a lot of reasons it's simply bad. You can even look at the same of MagSafe and MagSafe2 and note that is just power, not data and it's quite large due to the magnets. And that's before you have to deal with any of the other issues I mentioned.

1. I don't think Apple cares too much about all the other various functions of the dock connector. Wireless (Airplay, Bluetooth, 802.15, etc) is the future for peripheral connectivity. As for USB3 ... its far more bandwidth than iPhones would need for the next few years. By the time major advances in NAND come along that make USB2 too slow, we'll all be syncing wirelessly anyway.

2. Magsafe would be so much simpler and easier to connect. The current dock connector is actually quite annoying, having to futz around with it to orientate the connector correctly.... and of course, no doubt it'll save a few iPhones/iPads flying across the room when you trip over the cable.

• Reply 83 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Based on these leaked images and that logic, people should really be calling it the "iPhone 4S2".

That makes as much sense as calling it the iPhone 6.

• Reply 84 of 163
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

My car can already communicate over BlueTooth.  WiFi wouldn't be a stretch.  Why shouldn't that device-to-car interaction be able to happen wirelessly?

FTR, I'm only talking about 3G/4G for device to cloud communication, but I can already upgrade my iOS version that way, why not simpler stuff?  Just because it's always been done with a wired proprietary connector doesn't make it right for the future...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

As limited as most carriers are trying to make your bandwidth for 3G/4G, do you really want to eat up your data plan for your phone to communicate w/your car?

• Reply 85 of 163
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    clemynx wrote: »
    What do you think? That I wrote it and it doesn't make sense to me?
    You are burning yourself with this nonsense so you really should reconsider trying to defend such nonsense. in all honesty if such comments make sense to you I have to wonder how you ever got out of the first grade in school. The comments have no rational basis at all.
    Saying no, no, no is hardly an argument.
    Your ignorant comments where of so little value that even using two letters in response was a waste.
    And I don't see why I have to be talked to like that by a moderator.
    He is actually doing you a favor as hopefully you will reconsider posting such ignorance again. Your comments demonstrated a significant disconnect from reality, if you take such comments to heart you might just get back on track as a human being.
    What authorizes you to say that "I lost it?"
    The same authorization that any person has to speak their mind when assaulted by such crap. Some might think that you are simply trolling and purposefully trying to incite the forum, in that case you might be ignored. In this case you actually seem to believe the crap you post and as such you need to realize that much of the rational world doesn't agree with you.
    . Pfff learn to do your job.

I really ent know what your problem is, maybe you just have stalled intellectual development but you can work to fix that. A smart person would look at his points of view with an open mind and see if the fats support his position. Or you could try running head first into a brick wall and hope that that effectively resets your brain. Either way you need to address why you don't grasp why people reject your posts completely.
  • Reply 86 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

... how does this make any sense at all when they are selling multiple different models of the iPhone from multiple years at the same time?

Guess you should have asked them that before they released the 3rd iPad.

Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

…no doubt it'll save a few iPhones/iPads flying across the room when you trip over the cable.

I'm genuinely curious: when has this ever happened to anyone, anywhere, at any time? Are people getting third-party USB A-Dock Connector cables that are ten feet long and stringing them around their rooms? Do a great deal of iDevice users live in Japan and keep their iDevices plugged in on their kotatsu? 

How do you trip over a cable for an iDevice?

• Reply 87 of 163
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

I am so tired of your idiotic comments on eery single post.  

Putting you on permanent ignore in 3, 2, 1 .... 

Edit:

Now if only the troll-like "Global Moderator" (:rolleyes:), would stop publishing your every remark with a "no" after it, I'd be safe from the idiocy.  

You guys need to look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Argument_Sketch

... and really take the lesson to heart.

Especially this part: "... Palin becomes frustrated with this, insisting that he paid for an argument, and "an argument is an intellectual process, while contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.""

Just saying the equivalent of "Oh yeah?" back and forth twenty times is NOT an argument.  

Exactly, but good luck getting 'you know who' to learn something from this.

• Reply 88 of 163

Quote:

I'm genuinely curious: when has this ever happened to anyone, anywhere, at any time? 

It's certainly happened to me. iPad sitting on a coffee table plugged in to a wall socket. iPad dock cables are a bit longer than the iPhone ones.

In practice the USB end pops out of the wall before any real damage is done, but still, it does happen!

• Reply 89 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are burning yourself with this nonsense so you really should reconsider trying to defend such nonsense. in all honesty if such comments make sense to you I have to wonder how you ever got out of the first grade in school. The comments have no rational basis at all.

Your ignorant comments where of so little value that even using two letters in response was a waste.

He is actually doing you a favor as hopefully you will reconsider posting such ignorance again. Your comments demonstrated a significant disconnect from reality, if you take such comments to heart you might just get back on track as a human being.

The same authorization that any person has to speak their mind when assaulted by such crap. Some might think that you are simply trolling and purposefully trying to incite the forum, in that case you might be ignored. In this case you actually seem to believe the crap you post and as such you need to realize that much of the rational world doesn't agree with you.

I really ent know what your problem is, maybe you just have stalled intellectual development but you can work to fix that. A smart person would look at his points of view with an open mind and see if the fats support his position. Or you could try running head first into a brick wall and hope that that effectively resets your brain. Either way you need to address why you don't grasp why people reject your posts completely.

Congratulations! You used many different fake troll arguments in one post, and proved that you are unable to stand a conversation. Again, congrats!

- burning, nonsense (redundant), no sense, first grade school, no rational basis.

That's the "you don't know shit argument". It's cute. I'd ban you just for this. Would you talk like that to someone just because you disagree on the name of a phone? Are you serious? Get a life.

- ignorant comments, little value.

That's your opinion, which I don't give a shit about. If he didn't want to waste letters he didn't have to answer, and you neither. Any argument other than that?

- ignorance, disconnect from reality, get back on track as a human being

I don't need anyone telling me what I should think. Go live in North Korea you may like it. Again, I'm asking moderators to ban you. Is this guy serious? I mean, we are talking phones!!

- speak crap, trolling, inciting, crap, rational world against me

You are crazy, I'm going to save your comment, it's a gem.

- stalled intellectual development, run into a brick wall and reset my brain? People reject my post completely?

That's why about half of the posters agree with me

Really, do I need to beg for him being banned or what? Is he on drugs? Seriously!

• Reply 90 of 163
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

To make an adapter that will support most existing accessories, they need two pins for power, two for USB data, two for serial, and four for analog audio in/out, plus ground and the accessory resistor. There are a couple others that might still be necessary. I guess the analog audio signals could be connected via the jack, but that would be a very un-Apple adapter.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml has the current pinout, making it look pretty hard to go below about 16 pins.

Umm, why not just a thunderbolt?

• Reply 91 of 163
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

To make an adapter that will support most existing accessories, they need two pins for power, two for USB data, two for serial, and four for analog audio in/out, plus ground and the accessory resistor. There are a couple others that might still be necessary. I guess the analog audio signals could be connected via the jack, but that would be a very un-Apple adapter.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml has the current pinout, making it look pretty hard to go below about 16 pins.

Umm, why not just a thunderbolt?

• Reply 92 of 163

Quote:

Guess you should have asked them that before they released the 3rd iPad.

I'm genuinely curious: when has this ever happened to anyone, anywhere, at any time? Are people getting third-party USB A-Dock Connector cables that are ten feet long and stringing them around their rooms? Do a great deal of iDevice users live in Japan and keep their iDevices plugged in on their kotatsu? 

No seriously it never happened to be but really almost just happened to my bf. He was carrying a big glass thing and didn't see my iPad charging on the bed with the cable lying across a small passage on the side of the bed. He almost fell but the cable detached, I'm serious lol.

• Reply 93 of 163
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

I don't need increased connectivity between iDevices.

What I need is for iOS to support the slew of standardized bluetooth profiles that they are currently ignoring (like Serial over Bluetooth and the like).

The whole point of bluetooth was to create OS/Device agnostic connectivity, and then Apple goes and limits it to only their devices and accessories...  So frustrating.

• Reply 94 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1. I don't think Apple cares too much about all the other various functions of the dock connector. Wireless (Airplay, Bluetooth, 802.15, etc) is the future for peripheral connectivity. As for USB3 ... its far more bandwidth than iPhones would need for the next few years. By the time major advances in NAND come along that make USB2 too slow, we'll all be syncing wirelessly anyway.

2. Magsafe would be so much simpler and easier to connect. The current dock connector is actually quite annoying, having to futz around with it to orientate the connector correctly.... and of course, no doubt it'll save a few iPhones/iPads flying across the room when you trip over the cable.

1) You talk about USB3 but you're design completely discounts that as an option because you only want 4 pins and USB3 uses 9 pins.

2) Talk about futzing, having a connector come off because I barely moved the device is not good. Having the connector potentially touch metal in my pocket that can short the system or simply stick to the ferrous conenctor is not good. You've made no case as to how highly exposed connectors would work in a pocketable device, how the magnetism wouldn't be an issue, how the increased size for the ferrous connector can somehow be shrunk down, how you can have more pins than are currently had on the current MagSafe, how not being magnetic is such an issue for users, how this can used for anything other than USB2 traffic, or how this could possibly be a future-forward dock connector when you don't even allow enough pins for USB3.
  • Reply 95 of 163

Quote:

1) You talk about USB3 but you're design completely discounts that as an option because you only want 4 pins and USB3 uses 9 pins.

2) Talk about futzing, having a connector come off because I barely moved the device is not good. Having the connector potentially touch metal in my pocket that can short the system or simply stick to the ferrous conenctor is not good. You've made no case as to how highly exposed connectors would work in a pocketable device, how the magnetism wouldn't be an issue, how the increased size for the ferrous connector can somehow be shrunk down, how you can have more pins than are currently had on the current MagSafe, how not being magnetic is such an issue for users, how this can used for anything other than USB2 traffic, or how this could possibly be a future-forward dock connector when you don't even allow enough pins for USB3.

1. Nope. I was explaining why it won't/doesn't need to support USB3.

2. Hmm, is magnetic pocket-lint a real issue for many people? Maybe if you work in a factory producing iron-filings...

• Reply 96 of 163

I'm still waiting for an answer from a moderator.

Is the language that was used against me accepted on this forum? Not banning him is like a "yes" to me.

• Reply 97 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    2. Hmm, is magnetic pocket-lint a real issue for most people? Maybe if you work in a factory producing iron-filings...

Consider what you've implied in this thread. You want something that magnetically connects with more pins than are currently used with the latest MagSafe Apple just released. Have you see the size of that? So you don't want anything smaller than the current 30-pin connector. Also note the design. For it to work the pins have to exposed a lot more than in other plugs. You imply that only someone working in a factory that producing iron filings would be at risk of a magnetic that will pull all ferrous metal toward exposed pin that are connected to a battery. Do you seriously not see the potential hazard this could cause for people. I carry metal in my pockets in various forms and if the connector for the device looks and acted like MagSafe I'd at worst, have shorted out my phone.

Still, you haven't explained why a magnetic connector is needed for a device that doesn't typically have a long power cord going the across the floor that you can trip over.
  • Reply 98 of 163
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Why are iPhone to iPhone Bluetooth file transfers so much slower than over wi-fi?

Why are USB 2 transfers so much slower than eSata?
  • Reply 99 of 163

Quote:

Consider what you've implied in this thread. You want something that magnetically connects with more pins than are currently used with the latest MagSafe Apple just released. Have you see the size of that? So you don't want anything smaller than the current 30-pin connector. Also note the design. For it to work the pins have to exposed a lot more than in other plugs. You imply that only someone working in a factory that producing iron filings would be at risk of a magnetic that will pull all ferrous metal toward exposed pin that are connected to a battery. Do you seriously not see the potential hazard this could cause for people. I carry metal in my pockets in various forms and if the connector for the device looks and acted like MagSafe I'd at worst, have shorted out my phone.

Still, you haven't explained why a magnetic connector is needed for a device that doesn't typically have a long power cord going the across the floor that you can trip over.

I'm pretty sure the dock connector port isn't directly connected to the battery. Unless Apple really messed up, there should be no way to get a shock or even drain the battery just by shorting pins on the device's dock connector.

I do see your point about the plugs having to be quite big to have enough surface area for the magnet to grip. Looking at the leaked case, though, the port does still look fairly big. But yes, not as big as a Magsafe 2 on a Mac.

• Reply 100 of 163

Still no answer, I love the support you guys are giving me... way to treat one commenter.